Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-09-2013, 06:28 AM   #2686
RocketMoto
2 Many Motersikles

Oddometer: 907
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepinbanditrider View Post
I've never talked to more than one person at a time but the procedure for "conferencing" does seen overly complex to be doing while hurtling down the road at 60+.

The earbud headset base is and has been weak. Mine is only working in on ear right now and of course NO ONE carries these things in stock so I'm kinda stuck. I'm on my way to sturgis so I'm hoping that SENA had a booth there and I can trade it on on warranty.

If not I'm going back to the standard headphone model as this is the second earbud model I've broken in less than a years time.

Sent from my iPhone
We have these in stock - and if you originally purchased from us, we'll send one to where ever you're gonna be.

Now, it's not a beautiful solution, but the conventional wisdom on the earbud clamps is to reinforce the socket strain relief with SUGRU. I know it's not what you wanna hear, but the design isn't ideal and the Sugru will 'fix' it.
Autocom | TPX Radar/Laser | Sena Bluetooth
| Hi-Power LED Lights
Shorai Battery | Techmount | Powerlet | Rowe PDM60 | Skene Design

RocketMoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 08:33 AM   #2687
Boon Booni
Red Clay Halo

Oddometer: 12,856
Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketMoto View Post
We have these in stock - and if you originally purchased from us, we'll send one to where ever you're gonna be.

Now, it's not a beautiful solution, but the conventional wisdom on the earbud clamps is to reinforce the socket strain relief with SUGRU. I know it's not what you wanna hear, but the design isn't ideal and the Sugru will 'fix' it.

I think a good solution is to route the earbud extention cord over the base of the socket, then route the cable forward along the bottom, then up around the front and over the clamp.

Like this...

...plug it in from here with the cable between the clamp and the helmet. I've been doing this for a year now after my first earbud clamp failed at the plug within a month.

I need to take a better picture or two of this. But basically the cable loops over the base of the earbud jack right where the cable coiling starts. All the strain is on the coiled cable, and non on the earbud jack. I do this as well with just the earbud cable if I don't have the coiled cable handy.

You can be Han Solo, and I can be another Han Solo...
Boon Booni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 08:59 AM   #2688
Isorg
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 160
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boon Booni View Post
I think a good solution is to route the earbud extention cord over the base of the socket, then route the cable forward along the bottom, then up around the front and over the clamp.

Like this...

...plug it in from here with the cable between the clamp and the helmet. I've been doing this for a year now after my first earbud clamp failed at the plug within a month.

I need to take a better picture or two of this. But basically the cable loops over the base of the earbud jack right where the cable coiling starts. All the strain is on the coiled cable, and non on the earbud jack. I do this as well with just the earbud cable if I don't have the coiled cable handy.
I did this exact same thing, but took the extra step of using black electrical tape to hold the dongle up against the sena base.

The earphone wire went along the top of the sena towards the front of the helmet, down the front of the sena base unit, then i wedged the cable on the bottom of the sena running from front to back between the base unit and the helmet collar. the rest of the cable then was tucked in my jacket.

in short, i ran the earbud cable counter clockwise along the sena base clamp.
Old 08-10-2013, 07:54 AM   #2689
Boon Booni
Red Clay Halo

Oddometer: 12,856
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isorg View Post
I did this exact same thing, but took the extra step of using black electrical tape to hold the dongle up against the sena base.

The earphone wire went along the top of the sena towards the front of the helmet, down the front of the sena base unit, then i wedged the cable on the bottom of the sena running from front to back between the base unit and the helmet collar. the rest of the cable then was tucked in my jacket.

in short, i ran the earbud cable counter clockwise along the sena base clamp.
Sounds the same.

Here's some better pictures of my setup..

Zero strain on the connector.

No more of this....

...which is basically how the jack is being pulled if the cable is just plugged in and isn't routed around the clamp.

You can be Han Solo, and I can be another Han Solo...
Boon Booni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 09:15 PM   #2690
OldSchool750
Old Rider

Oddometer: 102
Standards...

I note that Cycle Gear is now selling a competitive bluetooth communicator. I would hope that it and others that are bound to follow would work with each other, but alas I'm sure it will not happen. It will take someone with horsepower in the industry to iron out the kinks and drive to a open standard that all can meet.

Jim
OldSchool750 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 07:24 AM   #2691
Albie
Kool Aid poisoner

Oddometer: 8,418
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldSchool750 View Post
I note that Cycle Gear is now selling a competitive bluetooth communicator. I would hope that it and others that are bound to follow would work with each other, but alas I'm sure it will not happen. It will take someone with horsepower in the industry to iron out the kinks and drive to a open standard that all can meet.

Jim
Sena posted on their site a while back they were working on firmware that would allow synching with other BT headsets. Myself, I think BT is a piss poor standard to use to communicate with other bikes. It was never intended for anything but short range connections.

As soon as the new Motorola BT FRS/GMRS radio comes out next month, myself and some if the guys I ride with are gonna try em out. No issues with incompatibility between brands of BT devices, and you can even talk to guys with wired headsets.

Another day, another foot injury!
Albie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 07:43 AM   #2692
TowPro
Healing time Sucks

Oddometer: 2,665
Quote:
Originally Posted by Albie View Post
Sena posted on their site a while back they were working on firmware that would allow synching with other BT headsets. Myself, I think BT is a piss poor standard to use to communicate with other bikes. It was never intended for anything but short range connections.

As soon as the new Motorola BT FRS/GMRS radio comes out next month, myself and some if the guys I ride with are gonna try em out. No issues with incompatibility between brands of BT devices, and you can even talk to guys with wired headsets.
One problem is with the bluetooth spectrum is the power limitations. Maybe they can continue with digital communications, but move it to some new frequency like where GMRS/FRS is located in the USA (if FCC allows it)
Old 08-14-2013, 08:25 AM   #2693
BlueLghtning
Riding is my passion

Oddometer: 4,734
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldSchool750 View Post

Jim
If you are talking about uClear, that's been out for a bit now and actually two different models. In the beginning their setup sounded pretty intriguing with the boomless mic, however real world reports here on ADV have mostly been less than favorable on the results. - UCLEAR HBC100 Boomless Helmet Communicator Even their WT300 which was similar to the Sena SR10 and allowed you to add in a 2 way radio to the mix has had some issues too and totally bad documentation that had kept people from even being able to sync it up properly like it should. It seems that company wasn't quite ready for prime time yet.
- UClear Bluetooth in Shuberth C3?
- U-Clear HBC 200
- U Clear HBC 200

If you check out WebBikeWorld's Bt communicator page - http://www.webbikeworld.com/motorcyc...h-intercom.htm they actually have reviewed many BT communicators, even some like InterPhone that have been in 4th or 5th revisions. Some of these they liked a lot, but it appears that among riders here on ADV, Sena & Scala headsets appear to be by far the most popular used ones.
Smugmug Pics - Save $5: Y2l43o9LVBERU

BlueLghtning screwed with this post 08-14-2013 at 08:30 AM
BlueLghtning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 08:42 AM   #2694
BlueLghtning
Riding is my passion

Quote:

The nice thing about BT is the full duplex and any time you talk over a standard FM Radio, you lose that, but on the other hand the big advantaged is anything that can communicate on that frequency, can talk to you or listen in. I do have both a ham Radio and FRS/GMRS setup using the Sena SR10 and it works pretty good. Getting rid of that middle piece though will make it much more affordable for many other people and the simplicity of just adding a FRS/GMRS radio into their setup.

I am curious to see how well those Motorola BT FRS/GMRS radio's work. I'm surprised its taken someone this long to come out with it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TowPro View Post
One problem is with the bluetooth spectrum is the power limitations. Maybe they can continue with digital communications, but move it to some new frequency like where GMRS/FRS is located in the USA (if FCC allows it)
Yeah, that would be cool if something similar to BT but in a frequency range where more power was allowed and maybe a standard that everyone shares for communication purposes?
Old 08-14-2013, 01:02 PM   #2695
Wickedadv
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 443
I have a month old SMH10 setup and so far it has worked great. Only issue is with moto helmets, anything over 45mph and there is a lot of windnoise. Works great with iphone as music source or phone. Intercom has only been tested between wifey and i but works well. We are going with a ham setup since we both have our licenses. Most likely yaesu HTs.

Bri

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
Wickedadv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 01:37 PM   #2696
BlueLghtning
Riding is my passion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wickedadv View Post
I have a month old SMH10 setup and so far it has worked great. Only issue is with moto helmets, anything over 45mph and there is a lot of windnoise. Works great with iphone as music source or phone. Intercom has only been tested between wifey and i but works well. We are going with a ham setup since we both have our licenses. Most likely yaesu HTs.

Bri

Some helmets just plain are loud and not much you can do, but make sure you have the mic facing the right direction to your mouth and if you are using full face helmets make sure its tucked away out of the wind from vents or being directly in the wind. A larger windsock can really help here too.

Our old dual sport helmets were pretty loud, but are street helmets and new dual sport helmets are fairly quiet.

HT's work okay for rider to rider communication with the stock antenna's, but an external antenna will really help you get out to repeaters with a clean signal or even an amplifier to help you get more than 5w. The motorcycle specific units like the Yaesu FTM-10R or even the Yaesu FTM-10SR work great since they are waterproof and easy to just mount the head unit with the base under the seat. The 10R does a full 50w while the 10SR does 10w, but the base is also dust proof/water proof which is the one I run.

I use the SR10 to communicate with the Ham Radio now too.

BTW there is a general "ham radio thread out there, but can't find it at the moment.

And a Yaesu FTM-10R thread here - http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=739735

BlueLghtning screwed with this post 08-14-2013 at 02:03 PM
Old 08-14-2013, 01:50 PM   #2697
slartidbartfast
Love those blue pipes

Oddometer: 4,736
Quote:
Same here.
Summer 2008 UK End-to-End ride
slartidbartfast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 03:38 PM   #2698
Wickedadv
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 443
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueLghtning View Post
Some helmets just plain are loud and not much you can do, but make sure you have the mic facing the right direction to your mouth and if you are using full face helmets make sure its tucked away out of the wind from vents or being directly in the wind. A larger windsock can really help here too.

Our old dual sport helmets were pretty loud, but are street helmets and new dual sport helmets are fairly quiet.

HT's work okay for rider to rider communication with the stock antenna's, but an external antenna will really help you get out to repeaters with a clean signal or even an amplifier to help you get more than 5w. The motorcycle specific units like the Yaesu FTM-10R or even the Yaesu FTM-10SR work great since they are waterproof and easy to just mount the head unit with the base under the seat. The 10R does a full 50w while the 10SR does 10w, but the base is also dust proof/water proof which is the one I run.

I use the SR10 to communicate with the Ham Radio now too.

BTW there is a general "ham radio thread out there, but can't find it at the moment.

And a Yaesu FTM-10R thread here - http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=739735
Nice, i have a FTM-10R in my car because i wanted something stealthy and was able to easily hide it. 50w is nice but I'm afraid on a bike that may be more than id need with what i could legitimately run for an antenna. The KLX250 isn't teeming with space or power generation :) the only thing i find with the 10r is that manual programming isnt easy on the rig so i pull it and do it on the bench in my office.

Wickedadv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 05:35 PM   #2699
FireDog45
Mid-life crisis sufferer

Oddometer: 576
Quote:

This sounds intriguing! I used the intercom of the SMH10 for the first time on a recent trip and I have to say I was impressed. Granted there were only two of us, but it did make communicating much easier.
FireDog45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 07:18 PM   #2700
BlueLghtning
Riding is my passion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wickedadv View Post
Nice, i have a FTM-10R in my car because i wanted something stealthy and was able to easily hide it. 50w is nice but I'm afraid on a bike that may be more than id need with what i could legitimately run for an antenna. The KLX250 isn't teeming with space or power generation :) the only thing i find with the 10r is that manual programming isnt easy on the rig so i pull it and do it on the bench in my office.

Yeah, that was my same reason for not getting the 10r is I didn't think I needed 50w and I liked the fact the 10SR had a much smaller base and was waterproof/dustproof. Its a shame they stopped making the 10SR model. 10W is pretty decent, although once in awhile, I wouldn't mind 20, but 50 is pretty overkill.

I ran the 10SR on my Husky on our TAT trip last year. I used a little 1/4 antenna up front and it worked great.