Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-09-2010, 06:29 AM   #316
Duster929
New Member!

Oddometer: 195
Quote:
Originally Posted by ultane
I think that I read that the Sena can be paired with another head set,... or four... but it cannot stream stereo via AVRCP at the same time it is paired to the phone(I am a new DROID owner) and another SENA. I first paired the two headsets together as instructed. Then I played around with the SMH10, first paired with the phone, then with an iPod Touch plugged into the headset, via the supplied cable. The plugged in iPod touch sounded great.

Then a day or so later, I realized that the Droid was AVRCP capable. So I paired the SMH10 to the audio portion of the Droid. (The SENA and Droid paired on the AVRCP audio circuit without me specifying to do so, when I asked the Droid to scan for other devices!). After this was done, I went for a ride on Gretchen and found that the Droid streamed outstanding stereo to the SENA, and later took a call on the ride through the paired Droid.

A week or so later I finally installed the other head set on a friends helmet. After pairing the two SENA head sets again, the Audio (AVRCP) portion of the Droid was no longer listed on the Droid Bluetooth menu. So I just plugged the Droid into the SENA via the supplied cable, Put the DROID into my coat pocket, enjoyed the music, and had bluetooth phone, and bluetooth communication. And it worked great.

Yesterday morning, I went for an early ride (to work), and noticed that without me going through the steps to 're-pair' the SENA to the DROID AVRCP circuit, that the SENA had automatically found the Droid again(I guess since the SENA wasn't paired to another SENA), and I listened to music streaming from the Droid via the AVRCP while the phone was also paired with the SENA... I was also able to use the JOG dial to skip a song on the Droid, as advertised.
You shouldn't have any problems being paired to a phone AND to another Sena.

I had my headset paired to my Blackberry, using full AVRCP the whole time, while also paired to my wife's Sena. I could listen to music, starting, stopping, and advancing tracks using the jog dial. One tap on the jog dial would start an intercom conversation with my wife. Another tap on the jog dial would return me to the music.

If you're only paired to a Sena and to a music player, this should be no problem. Are you paired to anything else, say a GPS? It's hard to know what the Sena is paired to. You might want to do a factory reset and re-pair the unit to the desired devices, to make sure there isn't a third device interfering.

--- D

Duster929 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 06:31 AM   #317
Duster929
New Member!

Quote:
Originally Posted by two-dogs
Ok I have a pair of the sena smh10 and they work great, just one problem so far. We took them out of vox by holding the volume knob for the 8 seconds, now here is the problem. If I stop the conversation by hitting the jog dail it will not reactivate by me yelling, now if my wife yells it activates. If she deactivates she can't activate by yelling but if I yell it comes back on. Can someone tell me what I am doing wrong or is that the nature of the beast..........thanks......two-dogs
I messed with the vox feature and found it confusing. It was hard to know when it was and wasn't in vox mode. At one point I was pretty sure they were both in vox mode, and I didn't like the way that was working. Then I think I deactivated vox mode, but I have a feeling my headset was still in vox mode, because every time I sang in my helmet (don't roll your eyes, I know you do it too!) it would stop the music and start an intercom conversation with my wife. I couldn't figure out how to be certain vox was disabled, without doing a factory reset.

--- D

Old 08-09-2010, 08:23 PM   #318
Dan GSR
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 135
when paired with 3 other headsets, you can only talk to one person at a time?
no group chat?
Old 08-09-2010, 10:00 PM   #319
fitenfyr
Dirt is Good

Oddometer: 422
Ok new unit arrived today pretty much fully charged and ready to go.
I got a company paid UPS return label for the broken one also.

Wife and I went on a ride today and put them to the test.

OMG they are FANTASTIC and work better than advertised.
We had numerous cases where she was out of site in a 20+ bike group ride and we could still talk.
When we did loose a connection it was very obvious it was going away and soon as we were back in range it picked right back up.
Battery life is top notch. We ran them better than 5 hours of continuous intercom today with lot's of battery life left it seems.

So even with the rough start I am FIRMLY convinced the SENA's are the way to go.

Really happy I stuck it out and didn't switch.
2005 F650GS
http://www.jasonstiffey.com
fitenfyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 07:35 AM   #320
bherman
Ærn æærrrn!

Oddometer: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan GSR
when paired with 3 other headsets, you can only talk to one person at a time?
no group chat?
No group chat, no. This is a limitation of BT and not of the Sena's themselves though.
bherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 08:38 AM   #321
Dan GSR
Gnarly Adventurer

the scala g4 can group chat 4 ppl
Old 08-10-2010, 10:54 AM   #322
Duster929
New Member!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan GSR
the scala g4 can group chat 4 ppl
Yup, that's right. The scala can group chat, and the Sena cannot. If group chat is important to someone, this could be a dealbreaker. The Sena can be paired to three other headsets, but can only talk to one at a time.

But if not, I think the Sena is a higher quality and simpler-to-use device.

Old 08-10-2010, 10:57 AM   #323
JDLuke
Ravening for delight

Oddometer: 8,644
Actually, I was thinking about large group rides the other day, and I figure that with the Sena, each rider could be paired to two other bikes (ahead/behind, say), an optional pillion AND the ride leader. It would take a bit of up-front setup, but would allow for an arbitrarily large group to have reasonably effective chain communication.
JDLuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 11:41 AM   #324
Duster929
New Member!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDLuke
Actually, I was thinking about large group rides the other day, and I figure that with the Sena, each rider could be paired to two other bikes (ahead/behind, say), an optional pillion AND the ride leader. It would take a bit of up-front setup, but would allow for an arbitrarily large group to have reasonably effective chain communication.
It would be do-able, but the rider can't talk to both bikes at the same time. It would be *press button once*, talk to rider in front. *press button twice*, talk to rider to the rear. The good thing is that if you are in a conversation with someone, and someone else "requests" a conversation with you, they won't be able to interrupt until you've terminated the first conversation.

Old 08-10-2010, 12:00 PM   #325
Solstice0000
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 138
Advancing/Replaying tracks on Sena

Hmm...I note several people have been able to track forward/backwards. I for one, have been unable to do so - I have done according to the Sena Manual: depress Jog Dial while turning the Jog Dial either clockwise or anticlockwise. Unfortunately nothing happens when I tried this. My pillion also tried to track forward/backward the same way but to no avail... it just doesn't work OR I am doing it wrongly. Help! Please advise.
Solstice0000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 12:04 PM   #326
JDLuke
Ravening for delight

Oddometer: 8,644
Quote:
Originally Posted by Solstice0000
Hmm...I note several people have been able to track forward/backwards. I for one, have been unable to do so - I have done according to the Sena Manual: depress Jog Dial while turning the Jog Dial either clockwise or anticlockwise. Unfortunately nothing happens when I tried this. My pillion also tried to track forward/backward the same way but to no avail... it just doesn't work OR I am doing it wrongly. Help! Please advise.
What audio device are you using? It needs to support bluetooth AVRCP (Audio/Video Remote Control Protocol).

This feature always works perfectly for me with my Droid. While a song is playing, I depress the jog dial as if I were planning to pause the music, then turn it just a little bit and let go. Works every time.
JDLuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 12:23 PM   #327
Duster929
New Member!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solstice0000
When you pair the Sena to your phone/media player, you should see something on the screen which indicates if an AVRCP profile was connected. If so, it should work. If not, then maybe that profile is not connecting, and you may have to work with the settings on your audio device.

Old 08-10-2010, 01:00 PM   #328
Dan GSR
Gnarly Adventurer

i really like the buttons of the sena, but group chat might be a deal breaker for me
Old 08-10-2010, 10:29 PM   #329
cyclebot
Adventurer

Oddometer: 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duster929
Yup, that's right. The scala can group chat, and the Sena cannot. If group chat is important to someone, this could be a dealbreaker. The Sena can be paired to three other headsets, but can only talk to one at a time.

But if not, I think the Sena is a higher quality and simpler-to-use device.
From my understanding the Scala can only go bike to bike 1-1. So 2 riders and 2 passengers/pillions. The Scala uses FM radio to do the short range intercom and amplified Bluetooth to go bike to bike.

I know with the Q2 they said that you could do 3 bikes at a time, then when we tried it, turned out be only one at a time. Can anyone confirm the 3 bike to bike connections. I know the Chatterbox will do 3 at a time but it uses CDMA (cell phone chip?) but it isn't in the same league as the Sena.
cyclebot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 07:38 AM   #330
Duster929
New Member!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyclebot
From my understanding the Scala can only go bike to bike 1-1. So 2 riders and 2 passengers/pillions. The Scala uses FM radio to do the short range intercom and amplified Bluetooth to go bike to bike.

I know with the Q2 they said that you could do 3 bikes at a time, then when we tried it, turned out be only one at a time. Can anyone confirm the 3 bike to bike connections. I know the Chatterbox will do 3 at a time but it uses CDMA (cell phone chip?) but it isn't in the same league as the Sena.
I don't have first-hand experience with the Scala, I was just going by their published claims. Maybe I shouldn't believe it until I see it...

--- D