Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-26-2014, 01:17 PM   #3286
slartidbartfast
Love those blue pipes

Oddometer: 4,813
Quote:
Originally Posted by slartidbartfast View Post
Per the manual, it goes on the side away from your mouth - It's to block the wind. Boom mic has a raised ridge on it which also goes away from your mouth.
Some manuals say there's a triangle that should point towards your mouth, others note that there is a fin (I called a ridge, above) that goes away from your mouth.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mastery View Post
Thanks. Per my wife's and my eyes, we must be going blind, as we don't see it in the manual. We did see the part about the raised ridge though.
I can't find it now either. Might be in the description of the part on-line somewhere, or some of the suplemental printed materials that came with the kit. I know I read it fairly recently coz until then I had not even noticed the covers in the kit.

Quote:
Oh, and we fixed the "stereo" sound issue...works fine when you let the wife do the work installing it.
Summer 2008 UK End-to-End ride
slartidbartfast is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 04:35 AM   #3287
danham
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 268
Quote:
Originally Posted by dfg View Post
I get the non-stereo sound issue from time to time. Nothing to do with the speakers for me, but rather not getting the SMH10 to "click" firmly into place on the helmet following taking it off to charge or whatever. Fixed always by just pushing it or taking it off and putting back on with a bit more resolve.
Check your mount very carefully. When mine did this it was because the mount clamp was too tight and it eventually cracked and failed.

The screws only need to be tight enough to prevent the clamp from moving easily. Too tight and they distort the mount, making it hard to click the SMH-10 into place, and put too much pressure on the clamp body, depending on helmet curvature.

With the mount tightened correctly, the radio snaps right in every time.

-dan
Old 03-27-2014, 12:58 PM   #3288
klinquist
übergeek

Oddometer: 1,083
Since this thread has so much visibility, could someone comment on this one I just started?

advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=965053

Quote:
Originally Posted by klinquist View Post
There is a somewhat large group of us (5 or 6) that ride together that currently have Scala G9s. Sometimes there are only 3 of us, sometimes all 6 of us are together. Random combinations of people.

The Scala's 8+1 pairing never seems to work right. After we've "friended" ourselves online, it seems that I can say "connect to dave" via voice control. He will hear a beep, press a button, and we can talk. When he switches back to music, we have to go through the same process to talk again.

Therefore, we typically use the "standard" pairing procedures... A pairs with B, B pairs with A and C, etc backwards through the chain. This works reasonably well other than the fact that the pairing takes forever. Sometimes it doesn't work, sometimes it doesn't say it's paired but after a reboot it is paired, etc. We're all tired of it taking 10 minutes at the beginning of each ride to get everyone paired up. Also, after the chain "breaks" the Scala is supposed to re-connect when the chain-breaking rider gets close enough, but in reality it has *never* happened.

In reading the Sena documentation, it seems that the Scala has one advantage - any rider can initiate the conversation. With Sena, it seems that if A is talking to B and C wants to come into the conversation, C has to be the one that "calls" B. B can't call C.

Anyway, two of us in the group have pre-ordered Sena 20Cs. I know this is an unreleased product (the fact that they show 5 riders in a chain in the owners manual is what convinced me to pull the trigger)... but can any current Sena SMH10 owners that constantly talk with 3+ riders comment on its ease of use?

Seeing as how Sena is local to me, when I receive the 20C I may see if they'll host our group for a "best practices" session, heh.
Old 03-28-2014, 03:33 AM   #3289
Storm Shadow
Thread Ninja

Oddometer: 1,498
My smh5 the battery life has been reduced down to an hour of use. It doesnt have user replacement batteries. I cant seem to find a solution googling it either

sent from the enigma encryption machine
Storm Shadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 05:05 AM   #3290
Mastery
Mr. Funny Man

Oddometer: 1,045
Quote:
Originally Posted by Storm Shadow View Post
My smh5 the battery life has been reduced down to an hour of use. It doesnt have user replacement batteries. I cant seem to find a solution googling it either
A solution would be to call SENA technical support.

Free Cash Back for Online Purchases.....One More CashBack Site
Mastery is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 12:32 PM   #3291
roger123
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,567
Has anyone found a replacement wind sponge thing for the mic? Sena has them on their site but shipping is as much as the sponges.

I ordered some from Amazon but they were too small. I should have just gotten them from Sena in the first place but I'm stubborn like that.
COG 5903
roger123 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 08:25 PM   #3292
lmychajluk
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,673
RadioShack used to sell replacement foam for ear-buds. That might work. Otherwise, might want to pop into a Guitar Center or other store that might sell studio gear. You might be able to find something there. Ask for 'microphone wind socks' or 'wind screens'.
lmychajluk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 08:27 PM   #3293
ts3doug
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 776
Maybe one for the Xbox head sets? Dunno if the size is comparable, but I imagine they'd be really available.
ts3doug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2014, 08:49 AM   #3294
crick
Adventurer

Oddometer: 10
sitting here in vegas now. two sena smh10 and a shark bt, all in conference intercom for about 13-14 hrs! battery life is amazing- even the shark bt!
crick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2014, 09:45 AM   #3295
lmychajluk
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,673
Quote:
Originally Posted by crick View Post
sitting here in vegas now. two sena smh10 and a shark bt, all in conference intercom for about 13-14 hrs! battery life is amazing- even the shark bt!
Looking at that Shark BT kit, I'm wondering if SENA is the OEM. It looks alot like the SMH10R....
lmychajluk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 06:15 AM   #3296
JRWooden
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,160
Pitting of contacts on base plate?

My Sena unit is about 2.5 years old.
For a while I've been noticing that one channel or the other seemed to be missing or not at full volume. I'd been kind of ignoring it, but this morning decided to take a look.

(Full disclosure: From time to time I have used Deoxit on the contacts in an effort to keep them clean and free of corrosion: http://www.all-spec.com/products/D100L-2C.html )

With the help of a magnifing glass I can see that several of the contact pads in the base place are pretty heavily pitted, it doesn't seem to be corrosion, but more like the plating flaked off or the substrate wasn't up to par. It happens to be the two contacts on the top row in the back.

Has anybody else seen anything like this?
JRWooden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 06:35 AM   #3297
slartidbartfast
Love those blue pipes

Oddometer: 4,813
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRWooden View Post
For a while I've been noticing that one channel or the other seemed to be missing or not at full volume. I'd been kind of ignoring it, but this morning decided to take a look.

(Full disclosure: From time to time I have used Deoxit on the contacts in an effort to keep them clean and free of corrosion: http://www.all-spec.com/products/D100L-2C.html )

With the help of a magnifing glass I can see that several of the contact pads in the base place are pretty heavily pitted, it doesn't seem to be corrosion, but more like the plating flaked off or the substrate wasn't up to par. It happens to be the two contacts on the top row in the back.

I don't know if the Deoxit could be contributing but I would suggest you use dielectric grease on the contacts to prevent corrosion rather than chemicals to try and remove it. Also check that the mount is not overtight or otherwise distorted leading to poor contact with the pins.
Summer 2008 UK End-to-End ride
slartidbartfast is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 07:07 AM   #3298
danham
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 268
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRWooden View Post

I've had very good luck with Deoxit on my Sena and Garmin gear and would be very skeptical that it caused problems.

I want to thank you for asking at this time because it caused me to go get my helmet (gathering dust in this wretched weather) and look at the clamp contacts. I did not find pitting, but did discover that the %^$$# thing is cracked -- again. I guarantee that this time I did not over-tighten the screws.

I'm out of warranty now, so I'm buying a replacement and may try to "weld" the broken one to keep as a spare.

-dan
Old 03-31-2014, 07:19 AM   #3299
k1w1t1m
Kiwi

Oddometer: 902
Quote:
Originally Posted by roger123 View Post
Has anyone found a replacement wind sponge thing for the mic? Sena has them on their site but shipping is as much as the sponges.

I ordered some from Amazon but they were too small. I should have just gotten them from Sena in the first place but I'm stubborn like that.
The Scala windsocks fit the Sena units. The Scala windsocks are about double of the thickness of the Sena socks. They can be ordered online.

'01 BMW R1150GS
k1w1t1m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 07:53 AM   #3300
JRWooden
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,160
Quote:
Originally Posted by danham View Post
I've had very good luck with Deoxit on my Sena and Garmin gear and would be very skeptical that it caused problems.

I want to thank you for asking at this time because it caused me to go get my helmet (gathering dust in this wretched weather) and look at the clamp contacts. I did not find pitting, but did discover that the %^$$# thing is cracked -- again. I guarantee that this time I did not over-tighten the screws.

I'm out of warranty now, so I'm buying a replacement and may try to "weld" the broken one to keep as a spare.

-dan
Dan:
Back quite a few pages I posted a picture of the replacement base that I had to buy due to crack. Before I installed it I used some 2-component epoxy putty and filled in the backside and then wrapped some around the "nose" of the bracket in the front to improve the strength of the bracket. So far so good....
JRWooden is offline   Reply With Quote