Go Back   ADVrider > Gear > Equipment
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-07-2014, 10:12 AM   #3376
Phyxion
It's I

Oddometer: 6
Anyone out here with the Rage GPS and the Sena SMH10? I'd like to know if the Rage is connected through HFP instead of A2DP so I can still hear the GPS while my mates are talking (with A2DP the priority is below talking so you'll never hear the GPS). Such a shame the Sena STILL can't change priority of input devices
Phyxion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 10:45 AM   #3377
GAVic
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 579
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaverickNC View Post
You cant do turn by turn with custom/multipoint routes on the iPhone. Google hates everything but Android. There are apps other than Google Maps that can do it, but it limits the other phone functions. This was the first option I considered because it was the least expensive potentially.
Actually you can with the Garmin GPS app for IPhone. You can't just create a route in Google maps and transfer it to the phone. You have to do it on the phone, but you can do it. I did one this weekend. I set up the route in Google maps and then used the app trip planner and created the route in my phone. You can use GPS coordinates of route locations or road intersections, it's not that hard to do.

It doesn't limit any phone functions when you use it. I generally don't run the app on my IPhone 4, I use an old 3G. I have used it on my 4 and the phone works fine with it running.
GAVic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 11:35 AM   #3378
BlueLghtning
Riding is my passion

Oddometer: 4,735
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phyxion View Post
Anyone out here with the Rage GPS and the Sena SMH10? I'd like to know if the Rage is connected through HFP instead of A2DP so I can still hear the GPS while my mates are talking (with A2DP the priority is below talking so you'll never hear the GPS). Such a shame the Sena STILL can't change priority of input devices
Most GPS's do connect with HFP, especially if you can connect your phone to it. A2DP is one way only so you could never talk to your phone through your GPS if it connected with A2DP.

I didn't spend time looking at the specs on that GPS, but most likely, it is an HFP connection as are most GPS's out there that support a BT headset connection. The GPS's that have A2DP are the ones that support music and MP3 and even then, they still support HFP for phone and nav instructions.

So yes, if the GPS is paired as your mobile phone connection, and you and your friends are talking, your GPS will interrupt your conversation and give you directions. Keep in mind, it won't mix in the audio so your friends hear it to. It will interrupt your conversation. That's how the priority thing works. The only caveat is if you are using the SR10 to pipe in your GPS audio. Its setup in a such a way that audio from the SR10 "mixes" right into your intercom conversation so that just you can hear it on top of the intercom.

And to answer your question about priority, if you actually did make A2DP have a higher priority than say intercom, you would never get another intercom conversation any time you were listening to music. So how would you expect your mates to be able to talk to you?
Smugmug Pics - Save $5: Y2l43o9LVBERU
BlueLghtning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 11:39 AM   #3379
BlueLghtning
Riding is my passion

BTW, if anyone wants to try a GPS app that does do turn by turn directions and you can actually load routes into it, the "Sygic" GPS app works with offline maps on your phone and seems to be pretty good.

It's really based out of the UK and worked great on a recent trip over there, but it seems to be pretty cool with the way it works here in the states too. Pretty easy to build a route on the fly too.

It's definitely on the pricier side, but it offers a free 7 day trial and if you get lifetime map updates on whet aver area you buy. I ended getting the world maps.

- https://www.sygic.com/en
Old 04-07-2014, 03:21 PM   #3380
TBickell
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 145
I had a break thru today

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBickell View Post
Yep.. and that's just bad. Too much thinking on what to pair first, what to turn on first etc. Bottom line is Zumo should be able to pair with high quality audio with both the I-phone ( or whatever phone/music device) and the Zumo so one can listen to the XM radio in good quality stereo. It's a big miss.
I reactivated my XM music account as well as the Nav weather and I turned my i-phone off. Turned on the Sena, turned on the Zumo 665 and it said " PHONE connected and whalla.. I had what sounds like a quality stereo music feed from XM radio! I then turned on the I-phone and manually paired it to the Zumo and it seems like at least now I can listen to XM radio and take/make a phone call thru the Zumo. On the Zumo screen the Sena is paired in the "audio" section not the "phone" section but it seems to be thinking and saying "phone connected" so I am going to hope it stays working like it is.. I will have to manually switch back and forth if I want to re-pair the I-phone to stream music and use the "SIRI" option but I can live with that.

Hope this helps
TBickell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 04:34 PM   #3381
BlueLghtning
Riding is my passion

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBickell View Post
I reactivated my XM music account as well as the Nav weather and I turned my i-phone off. Turned on the Sena, turned on the Zumo 665 and it said " PHONE connected and whalla.. I had what sounds like a quality stereo music feed from XM radio! I then turned on the I-phone and manually paired it to the Zumo and it seems like at least now I can listen to XM radio and take/make a phone call thru the Zumo. On the Zumo screen the Sena is paired in the "audio" section not the "phone" section but it seems to be thinking and saying "phone connected" so I am going to hope it stays working like it is.. I will have to manually switch back and forth if I want to re-pair the I-phone to stream music and use the "SIRI" option but I can live with that.

Hope this helps
If you listen carefully when the Zumo connects to the Sena, you'll hear a beep then "phone connected". A couple seconds later there will be a 2nd beep. This second beep is actually the A2DP connection. On previous firmware, the Sena used to say "media connected" when that 2nd beep happened, but they took it out if the same device is connecting to both profiles. Now you only hear "media connected" if its a stand alone A2DP device. If you had a 2nd HFP device connected on the Multi-point connection, it would say "device" connected.

Glad to hear its working good for you.
Old 04-07-2014, 09:51 PM   #3382
RocketMoto
2 Many Motersikles

Oddometer: 907
Quote:
Originally Posted by tommu56 View Post
SENA car charger question

tag on the charger

"Caution: 12v output DO NOT apply this charger to the USB devices other than Sena products."

Can anyone confirm this?

I'd like to carry one charger for my phone and SMH10

I haven't found a car charger (or any other standard micro USB plug for that mater) that fits in the recess in the unit other than the Sena cables.

tom
The Sena products will accept 5 volts, up to 12+ volts. So, I suggest **NOT** using the Sena cigarette charger on your mobile phone. My guess is this was done to minimize the cost of the cigarette chargers. The one's in the headset kits and with the SM10 have nothing in them other than a fuse.

The SR10 cigarette adapter has four diodes in series, dropping the output voltage, about 2.4 volts from the input voltage.
Autocom | TPX Radar/Laser | Sena Bluetooth
| Hi-Power LED Lights
Shorai Battery | Techmount | Powerlet | Rowe PDM60 | Skene Design

RocketMoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 09:18 AM   #3383
Wreckman
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 106
Zumo music control

I have the SMG10 upgraded wuth the v4.3 software. When I pair it to my Zumo 660 I can listen tho the MP3 music but cannot control it. I cannot mute it for a converssation or stream it to my wifes headset. If I link my phone it all works fine. Any ideas or anyone else see this problem?
Wreckman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 09:51 AM   #3384
BlueLghtning
Riding is my passion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wreckman View Post
I have the SMG10 upgraded wuth the v4.3 software. When I pair it to my Zumo 660 I can listen tho the MP3 music but cannot control it. I cannot mute it for a converssation or stream it to my wifes headset. If I link my phone it all works fine. Any ideas or anyone else see this problem?
I'm not sure the Zumo 660 supports AVRCP which is how the Sena controls the music device? Your phone supports that.

You should be able to just initiate a conversation which should mute the music or at least open the intercom which over rides the music.

As for music sharing, are you holding in the jog dial to start music while you are in an intercom conversation with your wife. That's how you start music sharing.
Old 04-08-2014, 10:50 AM   #3385
FJR4me
n00b

Oddometer: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by FJR4me View Post
I ended up just ordering the TAOTronics BT Transmitter (TT-BA01) along with a 3.5mm male to female audio cord, so I can get it into my tank bag if it is raining out. I also run power to the tank bag, so I should be able to keep it charged when needed with the supplied USB charging cord.

The TAOTronics TT-BA01 is supposed to have very good volume out to the head set as compared to many other transmitters from the reviews I read.

I'll follow your instructions and report back on my findings. Likely next week some time.

Thanks again!!
I finished the install last night of the BT Transmitter and it works perfectly with the Zumo 550. I'm able to receive navigation, XM and play MP3's off the Zumo into the Sena SMH10R.
The IPhone goes through the Zumo and is paired with the Sena headset and works as expected.

Thanks again for all the help.
FJR4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 05:38 PM   #3386
farcall
Bike-a-holic

Oddometer: 1,757
Quote:
Originally Posted by FJR4me View Post
I finished the install last night of the BT Transmitter and it works perfectly with the Zumo 550. I'm able to receive navigation, XM and play MP3's off the Zumo into the Sena SMH10R.
The IPhone goes through the Zumo and is paired with the Sena headset and works as expected.

Thanks again for all the help.
Good stuff. Be sure to check whether the BT transmitter can still be used whilst recharging it. I went thru a couple of (cheap) BT devices before I found one that could.
11 K1600GTL
farcall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 10:05 AM   #3387
Rider
Moderator Emeritus

Oddometer: 2,836
As I have neither the time nor the patience to scroll through all 3,387 posts, let me throw up a question or two here, if I may ...
I'm definitely considering getting the SMH10 Dual Pack for my wife and me aboard my FJR. Actually being able to converse as opposed to helmet slaps and thigh bruises sounds promising since we'll be taking a trip or two this summer.
We both have iPhone5's. I also have a Garmin 2495.
So I have a couple of questions:
1) Can we each listen to our individual iPhone's music/podcasts or will I be subjected to her horrible taste in homogenized country music?
2) I seem to be picking up that unless one has the motorcycle-specific Zumo Garmin GPS system, for some mysterious reason unbeknownst to me, you can't hear directions from the GPS? Does this mean I won't be able to listen to Bluetooth directions from my 2495?
I'm certain I'll think of more questions but this should suffice for now.
Old 04-10-2014, 10:07 AM   #3388
klinquist
bergeek

Oddometer: 1,014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rider View Post
1) Can we each listen to our individual iPhone's music/podcasts or will I be subjected to her horrible taste in homogenized country music?
2) I seem to be picking up that unless one has the motorcycle-specific Zumo Garmin GPS system, for some mysterious reason unbeknownst to me, you can't hear directions from the GPS? Does this mean I won't be able to listen to Bluetooth directions from my 2495?

1) You can each listen to your own music

2) Your 2495 does NOT support transmitting its "voice" over bluetooth. Rather, it is set up to BE a bluetooth headset (acting as a speakerphone for your iphone).

If your Nuvi has a headphone jack, you could buy an inexpensive bluetooth transmitter to plug into it..
Old 04-10-2014, 10:11 AM   #3389
Rider
Moderator Emeritus

Oddometer: 2,836
Quote:
Originally Posted by klinquist View Post
1) You can each listen to your own music

2) Your 2495 does NOT support transmitting its "voice" over bluetooth. Rather, it is set up to BE a bluetooth headset (acting as a speakerphone for your iphone).

If your Nuvi has a headphone jack, you could buy an inexpensive bluetooth transmitter to plug into it..
A-HA.
Thanks for the scoop.
Old 04-10-2014, 10:13 AM   #3390
danham
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 267
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rider View Post
As I have neither the time nor the patience to scroll through all 3,387 posts, let me throw up a question or two here, if I may ...
I'm definitely considering getting the SMH10 Dual Pack for my wife and me aboard my FJR. Actually being able to converse as opposed to helmet slaps and thigh bruises sounds promising since we'll be taking a trip or two this summer.
No need to throw up .... ;-)

1) yes, but see #2.

2) no mystery: Garmin only makes a few GPS units that talk to Bluetooth helmet setups; I don't think the 2495 is one of them. If the 2495 has an audio-out jack, you could plug in a cheap BT dongle that will pair with your Sena, BUT, that dongle will "use up" the slot which your iPhone needs to send music, so it would have to be one or the other.

Be aware that if you buy a zumo, it should work, but not all iPhones are compatible with all zumos. I had some luck with an iPhone 4 and a zumo 660, but it was not reliable enough and I went to a different setup with my Sena gear. My iPhone 5s is also not playing nice with the 660.

-dan