Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-10-2014, 06:15 PM   #3406
TowPro
Healing time Sucks

Oddometer: 2,731
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonnystile View Post
Maybe I'm an idiot, but what's the advantage of a dedicated gps (and the associated headache) as opposed to just using the turn by turn map functions on the iPhone?

My iPhone gives me phone, gps, music, pandora, and Siri will read and respond to texts if I'm able...

Why complicate it?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Because most of the places I ride (back country woods of PA) there is spotty cell service at best. take away the cell service and a cell phone is just a brick.
Old 04-10-2014, 06:16 PM   #3407
TowPro
Healing time Sucks

Quote:
Originally Posted by x3n05 View Post
Just tested it without music and...

OK yelling works (well rather loud speech) but that could get annoying. Works just as I wanted, albeit with poor VOX sensitivity. We will test it out tomorrow and play around with it, but I suspect we will end up just using the jog dial.

Thanks to both of you for chiming in, much appreciated :)
go into the menu and see if there is a vox adjustment (sorry, its been a while since I have had mine hooked to a computer).
Old 04-10-2014, 06:58 PM   #3408
dantroop
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 153
Vox will use more battery too. I use the jog dial. Don't want to hear a lot of chatter usually.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
dantroop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 07:18 PM   #3409
BlueLghtning
Riding is my passion

Oddometer: 4,806
Quote:
Originally Posted by TowPro View Post
Because most of the places I ride (back country woods of PA) there is spotty cell service at best. take away the cell service and a cell phone is just a brick.
Technically, if you have maps loaded on the phone for off line use (Like Sygic or others), the phone still functions just fine as a GPS without cell service. The GPS and the cell service don't have any correlation.

Now if you are streaming active maps like Google Maps or other maps that aren't saved on the phone, yeah then it becomes pretty useless.
Smugmug Pics - Save $5: Y2l43o9LVBERU
BlueLghtning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 07:19 PM   #3410
BlueLghtning
Riding is my passion

Oddometer: 4,806
Quote:
Just tested it without music and...

OK yelling works (well rather loud speech) but that could get annoying. Works just as I wanted, albeit with poor VOX sensitivity. We will test it out tomorrow and play around with it, but I suspect we will end up just using the jog dial.

Thanks to both of you for chiming in, much appreciated :)
I think you'll eventually find that the Jog dial just works better.

Besides with VOX, we found it tends to cut off my wife mid sentence or if you pause too long. At least connecting with the jog dial, you stay connected until one of you disconnects you. Overall that just works better in my view.
Smugmug Pics - Save $5: Y2l43o9LVBERU
BlueLghtning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 07:43 PM   #3411
lmychajluk
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,505
x3n05 - you may not need to yell the whole conversation, just the beginning to initiate the VOX. I think the manual says it cuts out after 10-20 seconds of silence once initiated.

I've heard many people just tap the jog dial and just leave the comms open all day. Battery life really shouldn't be an issue.

Also, what are you using as your music source? You may be able to eliminate the SM10 if you load up the latest firmware and use the music sharing function directly with the headsets.
lmychajluk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 08:24 PM   #3412
x3n05
n00b

Oddometer: 4
Thanks all for your advice again.

After messing around for a while, I decided to upgrade the firmware on all units and it was then I found out about the music sharing ability just mentioned. I just tested it and it works great. I don't really need the phone hooked up at the moment so decided to just dump music on to the GPS and everything works great, music and and turn by turn to both headsets.

Also I only discovered (I really should research more before I buy things...) that the SM10 only has about 20M range which isn't great for when we are both riding (most of the time). With this music sharing feature I assume it will work over the max distance of the SMH10 which is much better.

We will test it tomorrow (as well as VOX, the settings in the software are pretty limited) but I guess I will have an unused (aside from testing out of the box) SM10 for sale . Now I better get back to the garage and finishing wiring up and putting the bike back together so we can actually go out.

Thanks again for all of your input, very helpful, great community
x3n05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 08:34 PM   #3413
lmychajluk
Beastly Adventurer

Read the section on Multipoint pairing in the manual and you should be able to easily add the phone back in.
Old 04-11-2014, 12:04 AM   #3414
x3n05
n00b

Oddometer: 4
The problem appears to be with my GPS (Garmin Monterra) it only connects at A2DP, which my phone tries to connect on as well, hoping for a firmware update on the GPS to fix that.
x3n05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 04:23 AM   #3415
sonnystile
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 125
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueLghtning View Post
Technically, if you have maps loaded on the phone for off line use (Like Sygic or others), the phone still functions just fine as a GPS without cell service. The GPS and the cell service don't have any correlation.

Now if you are streaming active maps like Google Maps or other maps that aren't saved on the phone, yeah then it becomes pretty useless.

That's been my experience.

If I load my destination and hit start, it gets loaded whether I'm riding through areas of service or not.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
sonnystile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 05:44 AM   #3416
TowPro
Healing time Sucks

Quote:
The problem appears to be with my GPS (Garmin Monterra) it only connects at A2DP, which my phone tries to connect on as well, hoping for a firmware update on the GPS to fix that.
Don't wait too long, it will never happen. Garmin designed it that way.
Old 04-11-2014, 06:18 AM   #3417
Steiney
Adventurer

Oddometer: 77
Quote:
I addressed this a couple pages ago, pair the gps as the "phone" and your phone as a "device"...
Old 04-11-2014, 06:25 AM   #3418
lmychajluk
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Should still work. P. 17 of the manual. You want to pair the GPS to the SMH10 w/ the A2DP profile and then to the phone w/ an HFP profile.
Old 04-11-2014, 07:59 AM   #3419
GAVic
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 595
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonnystile View Post
That's been my experience.

If I load my destination and hit start, it gets loaded whether I'm riding through areas of service or not.
Yeah if you load up your route in an area with service your fine. If you decide to deviate and you are in an area where you don't have service then you have a problem.

That is why I switched to an App that had the maps loaded on the phone. A couple of times I decided to change something in an area with no service and had to best guess the way as I couldn't load load the maps. This would also cause my previous route to be lost as well, until I could get back in range of service.

I have found there are a lot of areas in South Georgia that don't have service.
GAVic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 10:18 AM   #3420
TowPro
Healing time Sucks

Quote:
Originally Posted by GAVic View Post
Yeah if you load up your route in an area with service your fine. If you decide to deviate and you are in an area where you don't have service then you have a problem.

That is why I switched to an App that had the maps loaded on the phone. A couple of times I decided to change something in an area with no service and had to best guess the way as I couldn't load load the maps. This would also cause my previous route to be lost as well, until I could get back in range of service.

I have found there are a lot of areas in South Georgia that don't have service.
Plus don't forget the "OLD" factor. Even though I have a Razr HD max which has a big screen, my Eyes are too OLD to see it while riding down the road.