Go Back   ADVrider > Gear > Equipment
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-11-2010, 10:04 AM   #331
Melarsa
Scooty Puff Jr.

Oddometer: 3
So we got our headsets in the mail last night and played with them quite a bit. My husband and I drove out to RocketMoto and spoke to Dave (I believe) on Saturday, who didn't have any headsets to purchase on hand but ordered us a set and shipped it out. Very fast turnaround (granted, we only live one state down, but still!)

First off, I just want to say that Dave was great, we hung around the shop garage and he showed us all the various modifications he added to his Goldwing, let us play with the headsets and pair them with our phones, etc. We hung around chatting for quite a bit, and he really seems to love his work/is knowledgable about the products he sells/and is super friendly, so we had a great time. He even let my husband and I take his Goldwing out for a spin, which was incredibly fun and unexpected. As we were leaving he suggested a place to stop for lunch and we were quite pleased that we followed his advice.

I'd definitely recommend purchasing through RocketMoto. They have great prices, but even if they didn't, they're the type of company I love giving business to: people who care about their work and their customers. Can't go wrong!

Unfortunately, the Sena unit I was testing at RocketMoto was running low on battery so I didn't have a chance to stream my music through it, but I did get to pair with my husband and use the intercom/call him through it, and the sound quality was loud and clear, which surprised me because we were just using units that were already attached to a few helmets that were probably in the XL size range. Considering that I currently wear an HJC helmet in, I kid you not, a child's S/M, and that the only adult-sized helmet I've ever had fit me even remotely was an XXS, I was surprised I could even hear anything with all the space between my ears and the speakers!

So, based on the hands-on experience with the headsets, we took the plunge and ordered a set. And now that we have them, we're really happy we did. I wish I was able to clamp mine to my helmet, but unless I want to wear the unit fairly far forward, it looks like I'll have to use the adhesive backing instead. We're thinking of adding a bit of extra adhesive tape or Dual Lock to make sure it stays put, since the backing on the unit is fairly thin, but it conforms to my helmet well so once it's on it'll probably stay on. Once I got the speakers set up in my helmet, I was blown away by the sound. It's not as good as you'd get out of great pair of earbuds, but with my proper-fitting helmet and the speakers mounted close to my ears, the sound is loud and clear and even better than I remembered on the tester helmet at RocketMoto. At first I thought I'd HAVE to get the detachable speaker mount option, but now I'm not so sure. It'd be nice to have the ability to use earbuds, but it's not as necessary as I had anticipated.

Pairing unit to unit was fairly easy, and to our phones as well, however I was having a few issues with my Droid X streaming music until I realized that nearly all of my umpteen bazillion music apps were trying to dominate the headset profile at the same time. Once I changed the settings so only ONE app was using the AVRCP, it worked great. The only issue we had was trying to get into an out of Vox mode. It can be tricky knowing when you're in it, and I find that my voice at a reasonable level just isn't enough to automatically bring an intercom conversation back. I have to yell a bit, and lower the tone of my voice. My husband just has to speak at his normal talking volume and tone, so maybe the vox just isn't as attuned to quieter, higher voices. Which is fine, because it means it's less likely to activate in the wind, I suppose, but I wish I didn't have to yell to bring a conversation back. Going into and out of conversations and having music/navigation resume or cut in worked exactly as advertised, though, so aside from that small nitpick we're really pleased. The jogdial button on my husband's unit seems a bit "sticky" and doesn't really click as positively as mine does, so we might look into exchanging his at some point, but we want to get a few rides out of the way to see if it interferes with his ability to use the headset on the go.

Our first headset-enabled ride will be this weekend, but my husband was able to call me today while I was at work and he was commuting, and until he mentioned he was on the bike I had no idea he was using his headset. It was only after he flipped his visor up that I could hear any static/wind noise, and even then it just sounded like he was walking down a windy street. I'm fairly confident that they'll work just as well as they did during our dry run last night.

I really, REALLY wish we could have rode home with a pair on Saturday when we went up to RocketMoto...because the very next day I crashed my bike for the first time (stupid rookie mistake) and while I was perfectly fine save for some small bruises, my bike, helmet, and jacket took a beating...and I'm fairly certain if we had the headsets up and running at the time it could have been avoided, because my husband and I could have communicated better and I would have likely been able to avoid the hazard that caused the crash. Oh well, live and learn, and now that we have them we'll probably never ride without headsets again. Just being able to communicate on the fly will make things so much easier (and safer!) not to mention the ability to listen music and take GPS instructions. I don't plan on using the music function at all until I'm a better rider, but I can't wait, because I know from riding pillion that a motorcycle ride + music = great time.
Melarsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 01:16 PM   #332
deeve
DumbA$$

Oddometer: 1,035
Navigator IIIPlus to Iphone to Sena

I have searched the thread, but could not find the answer...I would like to be able to pair my iPhone to my BMW Nav III plus so I can use the touch screen on the Navigator for phone function, but then be able to stream music/pandora from the iPhone to the Sena...is that possible?
He bought this bike with his own money as a "fixer upper" that he can ride and learn to wrench on. Part of owning is he will buy parts and wrench on it himself. We are going through it together and having fun! I am very proud of the young man he is becoming.
deeve is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 01:27 PM   #333
Duster929
New Member!

Oddometer: 195
Quote:
Originally Posted by deeve
I have searched the thread, but could not find the answer...I would like to be able to pair my iPhone to my BMW Nav III plus so I can use the touch screen on the Navigator for phone function, but then be able to stream music/pandora from the iPhone to the Sena...is that possible?
No. A couple of us have tried to do this with Blackberries, unsuccessfully.

The iphone can only be paired with one device at a time, so it can be paired to the GPS, or to the Sena. The GPS can be paired to both the iphone and the Sena, because it uses a different profile for each.

One solution that seems to have worked for some people is to buy a bluetooth dongle from Best Buy or somewhere similar. You attach that to the iphone. I'm not sure how that works, but apparently it does.

--- D

Duster929 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 01:35 PM   #334
deeve
DumbA$$

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duster929
No. A couple of us have tried to do this with Blackberries, unsuccessfully.

The iphone can only be paired with one device at a time, so it can be paired to the GPS, or to the Sena. The GPS can be paired to both the iphone and the Sena, because it uses a different profile for each.

One solution that seems to have worked for some people is to buy a bluetooth dongle from Best Buy or somewhere similar. You attach that to the iphone. I'm not sure how that works, but apparently it does.

--- D
Jeez! I'll see if I can find something about that dongle...So really, there is not way to do that, even with something more modern, such as the Zumo 660. Those still require you use the SD card for music...
He bought this bike with his own money as a "fixer upper" that he can ride and learn to wrench on. Part of owning is he will buy parts and wrench on it himself. We are going through it together and having fun! I am very proud of the young man he is becoming.
Old 08-11-2010, 01:41 PM   #335
Duster929
New Member!

Quote:
Jeez! I'll see if I can find something about that dongle...So really, there is not way to do that, even with something more modern, such as the Zumo 660. Those still require you use the SD card for music...
I don't believe there's any way without the dongle. The Zumo 660 streams stereo music to the Sena, so it's pretty good, but you'd have to copy your playlist over to that.

Old 08-11-2010, 08:44 PM   #336
deeve
DumbA$$

From looking at the dongles (love that name) they have some universal ones that go in the earphone plug and some that go in the bottom of the iphone. With the adapter can you control the songs with the job dial on the Sena?

Dave
Old 08-12-2010, 06:44 AM   #337
Duster929
New Member!

Quote:
From looking at the dongles (love that name) they have some universal ones that go in the earphone plug and some that go in the bottom of the iphone. With the adapter can you control the songs with the job dial on the Sena?

Dave
I haven't gone this route myself, so I can't answer that. Hopefully some guys who have tried it, can answer you. Go back in this thread a few pages to find people who have used the dongles, and try to get their help with that question.

Old 08-14-2010, 08:15 AM   #338
WZ4I
Adventurer

Oddometer: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by adventurecycle
Has anyone attached a FRS Radio (Family Radio Service) to the sena? The only reason is that I am involved in an event where I need to be able to communicate with others via FRS Radio. There is an ipod input on the SMH10, and I think if you attached a push to talk switch to it and another mic, you could pipe the sound into the helmet. Anyone ever try that yet?
I have intergrated a Kenwood Amateur radio with mine. Connecting a FRS sould be just as easy... Click the link, and scroll down.. http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...=562357&page=4
WZ4I is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2010, 01:22 PM   #339
Solstice0000
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 138
My Sena long term test

Since receiving our Sena's at beginning of Jun, I have tested the Sena on a 2000km ride (on my 2008 GS) with my other Sena-enabled buddies, a 1000km ride with one other non-Sena equipped rider, as well as, as a shorter 500km ride with a Sena-enabled pillion (latter two rides on my Harley Davidson Night Train).

First off, the Sena can withstand rain! I was worried initially cos its the raining season but this was later proven unfounded. It worked well through some heavy showers.

Works best if you have a decent windshield coverage. I could easily chat via the intercom with my buddy on his GSA. However, the other buddy on his HP2 Sport could neither hear nor communicate with us ...all we could hear was windblast when we tried to call him. On the Harley with a Windvest windshield, my pillion and I can communicate up to 90km/h...beyond that speed, communication is impossible. Music streamed via bluetooth dongle/ipod nano was fantastic, even up to 140km/h!

Battery life was good - last me the whole 9 hour ride, in time to recharge when we got to our hotel.

2 issues I have encountered with the Sena are:

1. Neither I nor my pillion are able to track music forward or backwards despite following the instructions to depress the Jog Dial while rotating it clockwise/anticlockwise. Instead it usually switches on the Intercom.

2. No matter how I position the microphone in my full face helmet, the person on the other end (either telephone call via the Sena headset or intercom conversation with my passenger/other Sena bike rider) says my voice is very muffled and hard to make out what I am saying.

Have written to Dave at RocketMoto but would appreciate if anyone had pointers on the above (as I note several folks posting that they are able to track the music back/forward).

Finally, the helmet speakers mounted in the helmet together with the custom earplugs cause us to have very painful, tender ears by the end of the day. I understand some people depress the foam liner in the helmet with the back of a spoon, but I really don't like to mess with the integrity of the helmet. So, guess I'll just have to bear with the tender ears!

Hope this was useful...

At the end of the day, the Sena has been very useful for the rides as music does make the miles pass faster. The ability to communicate with other Sena riders, particularly in city traffic, has been invaluable.
Solstice0000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2010, 06:27 AM   #340
sparkletoes
Adventurer

Oddometer: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Solstice0000
1. Neither I nor my pillion are able to track music forward or backwards despite following the instructions to depress the Jog Dial while rotating it clockwise/anticlockwise.
Hi Solstice - thanks for your writeup. It really depends what phone you are using. Your phone must have A2DP as part of it's specs to be able to track forward and back. If you read further back, I've posted usage with the iPhone, which currently has not had it's A2DP protocol implemented.

However, the imminent release of iOS 4.1 will finally install this. In the meantime (I couldn't wait for Apple) I've installed a paid for jailbreak app called Music Controls which works perfectly, but this will be free in Apple's next update. I can report that Nokia has good A2DP implementation, so check your phone's specs. If it hasn't got it, yes, you will just get a temporary intercom tx.

Let us know what you've got. I'm good at iPhones, Nokias and Sony, but no experience of Android. Hopefully you won't have to change your phone just for this!
sparkletoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2010, 11:50 AM   #341
Solstice0000
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 138
Quote:
Originally Posted by sparkletoes
Hi Solstice - thanks for your writeup. It really depends what phone you are using. Your phone must have A2DP as part of it's specs to be able to track forward and back. If you read further back, I've posted usage with the iPhone, which currently has not had it's A2DP protocol implemented.

However, the imminent release of iOS 4.1 will finally install this. In the meantime (I couldn't wait for Apple) I've installed a paid for jailbreak app called Music Controls which works perfectly, but this will be free in Apple's next update. I can report that Nokia has good A2DP implementation, so check your phone's specs. If it hasn't got it, yes, you will just get a temporary intercom tx.

Let us know what you've got. I'm good at iPhones, Nokias and Sony, but no experience of Android. Hopefully you won't have to change your phone just for this!
Thanks for your reply, sparkletoes! Hmm...sounds like your music source is from your mobile phone? Currently, my mobilephone and music player are separate hardware:
- Mobilephone: WinMobile-equipped Samsung SGH-i780 Blackjack, while ...
- Music: frm the current 5th Gen iPod Nano (with bluetooth dongle attached, so that it can connect wirelessly via BT to my Sena).
So I'd really appreciate it if you had any pointers that can help me learn how to change music tracks (forward or backwards) while on-the-go!

PS: I bought my Sena headsets from Dave & Adam @ RocketMoto, and I emailed Dave about my problem yesterday. Unfortunately, so far I haven't gotten any reply from Dave. Hope to hear from him soon.

Once again, thanks for your pointers. Perhaps I could ask your advice on changing my mobile phone? I was thinking of either an iPhone 3GS or Blackberry 9700.

Cheers
Solstice0000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2010, 01:29 PM   #342
no2opec
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 135
As far cell being muffled, if the wind is gusting or the signal is less than optimum it is hard for me to be understood at speed. Helmet noise and signal means everything. I also found the quieter and slower I talk and the further I can get mouth away from that mic the better. At speeds under 50 it is usually always clear. Hope this helps.
no2opec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2010, 04:36 PM   #343
sparkletoes
Adventurer

Oddometer: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Solstice0000
Thanks for your reply, sparkletoes! Hmm...sounds like your music source is from your mobile phone? Currently, my mobilephone and music player are separate hardware:
- Mobilephone: WinMobile-equipped Samsung SGH-i780 Blackjack, while ...
- Music: frm the current 5th Gen iPod Nano (with bluetooth dongle attached, so that it can connect wirelessly via BT to my Sena).
So I'd really appreciate it if you had any pointers that can help me learn how to change music tracks (forward or backwards) while on-the-go!

Once again, thanks for your pointers. Perhaps I could ask your advice on changing my mobile phone? I was thinking of either an iPhone 3GS or Blackberry 9700.

Cheers
I've made a mistake in my last post and should have written AVRCP where I wrote A2DP. Just to clarify, A2DP is the ability to stream Bluetooth audio in stereo. AVRCP is a Bluetooth profile that allows changing tracks back and forth. My typo mistake in the last post, for which apologies to all.

However, although I am no expert on WinMobiles, a quick search for your Samsung phone's specs states that it has both A2DP and AVRCP abilities. Why not load your music to the phone and control from there? You may have settings on the phone that enable both profiles which might need activating. I guess it also depends on how much capacity your phone has for music files.

Likewise, your bluetooth dongle would have to be AVRCP enabled for you to change tracks on your iPod Nano. Check your dongle's specs.

If it was me, I'd prefer to carry just one device that takes phone calls and streams music, hence the iPhone. One less gizmo to charge and pair. In this and many other respects, the iPhone works well, especially when Apple finally enables AVRCP. My old 70 Nokia 5310 supports both Bluetooth profiles and a 16GB MicroSD card, so Apple are a bit behind the times, but will get there. Try it on your Samsung.

Hope this helps.

sparkletoes screwed with this post 08-15-2010 at 04:41 PM Reason: Another typo!
sparkletoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 06:21 AM   #344
loph917
Beard Bros Racing

Oddometer: 4,408
3.5mm bluetooth dongle

if there is a bluetooth dongle that plugs into the 3.5mm headphone jack that supports track forward/reverse i'd like to know about it. as far as i know there is no such beast; only a fully fledged integrated bluetooth profile will support avrcp. sony makes one for ipods that connects to the bottom of the ipod via the dock connector and i've found some other 3rd party versions (that may or may not be good). reviews of course are mixed; sony seems to be the way to go (powered by the iphone, no battery) but more expensive.

i have the sena dual kit (thanks rocketmoto!) and took them out yesterday. gf and i had no issues talking at less than highway speeds; at highway speeds it was a bit dicey (not totally unexpected). i had my evo 4g paired up the entire time for music and it was very nice to have music. the evo did support the track forward/reverse functionality.

unfortunately i'd like more music capacity and that solution is either ipod touch 64g or ipod classic (there are no good 64g+ mp3 players except these two) that are reasonably priced (i don't consider the ipod touch 64g reasonably priced at $400). i'm currently looking at ipod 160g classic at $200 hence my quest for a good bluetooth adapter/dongle.

i also have a garmin nuvi 765t and i didn't pair it to the sena yet as i wasn't using it for navigation. i plan on pairing the evo to the garmin and then the garmin to the sena using the hands-free profile and an mp3 device to the send using the a2dp/avrcp profiles.

bottom line, the sena unit works like a champ and i like the no wires approach.
loph917 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 06:53 AM   #345
CharlieK
Adventurer

Oddometer: 17
Sena SMH10 Madrid, SPain

Guys,
Bought a pair for using in a city environment. Successfully mounted one on a BMW System IV helmet (which is complicated) and have been using it paired with an iPhone - music & phone calls work perfectly.
Voice control (the only way to skip music around) works "OK" until 90Km/h, after that it can't understand what I'm saying and starts calling random people :P iPhone's fault (no bluetooth stack that supports a "manual" track skip)

Any questions feel free!
CharlieK is offline   Reply With Quote