Go Back   ADVrider > Gear > Equipment
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-22-2014, 05:10 AM   #3451
danham
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 268
Nope. I tried this with my Targus 4800 mAh battery pack, which works fine with my iPhone and iPad, and it just will not stay connected to charge my Sena gear (SR-10 and SMH-10).

I cannot figure out what the problem is, but something seems to prematurely trigger the Targus function which makes it think the Sena gear is charged and current stops flowing. By premature I mean several minutes into the charging process. Total fail.

In a jam I can power & charge the SMH-10 (the SR-10 battery appears to last forever) from my bike while riding.

-dan
Old 04-22-2014, 05:20 AM   #3452
slartidbartfast
Love those blue pipes

Oddometer: 4,818
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluebird120 View Post
has any one had any luck powering a sena unit off of an external battery pack? I have read that the unit doesn't respond to take a charge from these.

going on a week long trip and want to charge the units over night in the tent and the idea would be to charge the usb power block off the bike while riding during the day and then plug the 2 sena's into the external usb power block and have them charge while sleeping. Any ideas?
Find a place to hide/lock the units on the bike and charge them from the bike battery overnight.

If you park the bike close enough to the tent, you could make a long 12V cable. Back in the days before long-lasting white LED lights were so easy to come by, I used to have a 20-foot cable I could plug a 12V flourescent inspection lamp into. Not especially heavy or bulky (probably less than the external battery pack + charger, etc.)
Summer 2008 UK End-to-End ride
slartidbartfast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 05:41 AM   #3453
Woodcock
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 186
Quote:
has any one had any luck powering a sena unit off of an external battery pack? I have read that the unit doesn't respond to take a charge from these.

going on a week long trip and want to charge the units over night in the tent and the idea would be to charge the usb power block off the bike while riding during the day and then plug the 2 sena's into the external usb power block and have them charge while sleeping. Any ideas?
I let mine charge in my tank bag off the bikes batt. Along with phone and camera, plenty of batt left for cranking next day.
Woodcock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 05:43 AM   #3454
TowPro
Getting there

Oddometer: 2,885
Quote:
Originally Posted by slartidbartfast View Post
Find a place to hide/lock the units on the bike and charge them from the bike battery overnight.

If you park the bike close enough to the tent, you could make a long 12V cable. Back in the days before long-lasting white LED lights were so easy to come by, I used to have a 20-foot cable I could plug a 12V flourescent inspection lamp into. Not especially heavy or bulky (probably less than the external battery pack + charger, etc.)
Do you charge your Sena off your bike during the night? I would expect it to put a dent in the motorcycle battery charge.
Its charging 1 amp @ 5 or 6 V. Guessing its 50% efficiency for the USB power conversion from 12 to 5 V, you might be drawing 1A per unit from your motorcycle battery.

They do make a 12V cable to run the SR10 from the bike. Its not a standard USB cable, it must be wired a little different (not to standard) because a standard USB cable will put the SR10 into Data mode. Not sure if that same cable works with the SMH10.
Old 04-22-2014, 06:00 AM   #3455
slartidbartfast
Love those blue pipes

Quote:
Originally Posted by TowPro View Post
Do you charge your Sena off your bike during the night? I would expect it to put a dent in the motorcycle battery charge.
Its charging 1 amp @ 5 or 6 V. Guessing its 50% efficiency for the USB power conversion from 12 to 5 V, you might be drawing 1A per unit from your motorcycle battery.

They do make a 12V cable to run the SR10 from the bike. Its not a standard USB cable, it must be wired a little different (not to standard) because a standard USB cable will put the SR10 into Data mode. Not sure if that same cable works with the SMH10.
I believe the SMH-10 has a 500mAh battery, so even if you assume it's totally flat and the charging process is only 50% efficient, for a full charge it will only draw ~1Ah from the available charge in the battery. I can assure you I have charged 2 of them plus a couple of cell phones off my bike overnight and never had a noticeably low bike battery, nor would I expect to.
Old 04-22-2014, 06:07 AM   #3456
danham
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 268
slart, I think you have mixed up amps and hours a little. While I agree that you can probably safely charge an SMH-10 with a bike battery, here's what I think is the right analysis (warning: I'm a math atheist).

If it takes an amp to charge the Sena rig, and you plug it in for one hour, you have indeed only "used" one amp of a typical bike battery's 12 amp-hours. If you leave it plugged in, and if it draws one amp the whole time (it doesn't), the battery would be totally flat after 12 hours.

The reason you are not having trouble with your setup is that I don't think the charger is quite as inefficient as 50% and also the charge tapers as the Sena battery charges.

But I've been wrong before ...

-dan
Old 04-22-2014, 06:31 AM   #3457
slartidbartfast
Love those blue pipes

Quote:
Originally Posted by danham View Post
slart, I think you have mixed up amps and hours a little. While I agree that you can probably safely charge an SMH-10 with a bike battery, here's what I think is the right analysis (warning: I'm a math atheist).

If it takes an amp to charge the Sena rig, and you plug it in for one hour, you have indeed only "used" one amp of a typical bike battery's 12 amp-hours. If you leave it plugged in, and if it draws one amp the whole time (it doesn't), the battery would be totally flat after 12 hours.

The reason you are not having trouble with your setup is that I don't think the charger is quite as inefficient as 50% and also the charge tapers as the Sena battery charges.

But I've been wrong before ...

-dan
You are correct (and I'm a physicist by education so I ought to know better). In fact, at ~50% efficiency, charging a 3.4V lithium battery with 500mAh capacity from a 12V+ battery, should draw no more than about 300mAh from the larger battery. In reality, an SMH-10 is probably less than half discharged at the end of a day's riding and the charging process is probably a bit better than 50% efficient, so you'd likely be looking at "taking" 100mAh from the bike battery. For a typical 18Ah bike battery that's 1/180th of the available charge or maybe 1/100th of what you could draw before you might experience starting problems. Even if you have a lower capacity LiPO battery in the bike (as I now do,) charging a few small mobile devices from it will not have any real effect. (A couple of laptops might be a different story.)

BTW - there's NO WAY the charger is delivering 1A to the SMH-10. That would fully charge it in about 30 minutes (or set it on fire)
Old 04-22-2014, 06:37 AM   #3458
GAVic
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 683
Quote:
Yea I have one and it works great. It's a mophie brand that I picked it up at best buy. I have had my Sena go dead on me twice. Once on an all day ride it died about 30 minutes before we got to our final destination. Another time when I had forgot to charge it the night before a ride and had used it all week just around town.

In both instances I just dropped the battery pack in my jacket pocket and plugged the Sena into the battery pack and kept riding, everything worked great.
GAVic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 06:42 AM   #3459
lmychajluk
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,683
Quote:
Originally Posted by TowPro View Post
Do you charge your Sena off your bike during the night?
I always charge the SMH10 off the bike, never via AC/USB charger. Usually plug it in if I've been using it a lot, or can't remember the last time I've charged it. I'll leave it plugged into the bike in the garage for multiple nights (sometimes even a week or two) between rides and have never had a problem starting the bike.
lmychajluk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 07:45 AM   #3460
BlueLghtning
Riding is my passion

Oddometer: 4,888
We charge several things off our bike batteries at night (SMH10 included) and never have an issue. Usually its the SMH10, GoPro battery or two, regular camera, and our cell phones. We don't charge them all at the same time and they don't always need charged each night but usually between the time we get to camp and before we go to bed, most of that stuff is charged at some point. The headsets are usually last and we leave charge over night.

If you get to camp early enough, the headset can probably fully charge before you even go to bed so you can unplug it.
Smugmug Pics - Save $5 <-- Click Here
BlueLghtning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 08:25 AM   #3461
Texcollect
Adventurer wannabe

Oddometer: 196
Quote:

On an SS1000 last year I used the internal battery for the first 10 hours or so and then powered the unit from one of these in my jacket pocket with the cord run up to the SMH10 on my helmet. I used the USB cable that came with it as it has a 90 degree plug on it. Worked just fine.
Old 04-22-2014, 09:07 AM   #3462
bluebird120
Farts Are Funny

Oddometer: 73
Very cool thanks GAVic and Tex that is just what I needed, was really trying to avoid charging off the bikes battery at camp!

GAVic can you let us know which model of the morph you have if you get a chance

bluebird120 screwed with this post 04-22-2014 at 09:15 AM
bluebird120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 09:40 AM   #3463
Mercury264
Once you go Triple...

Oddometer: 21,858
Quote:

On trips I carry an external battery pack to power the unit when it runs out of juice in the middle of the day. I forget the exact model but it worked just fine (I just put the battery pack into a pocket and ran a USB cable to the Sena up through my jacket and out the collar).
'99 XR650L
'99 Speed Triple
Mercury264 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 12:23 PM   #3464
GAVic
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 683
Quote:
Very cool thanks GAVic and Tex that is just what I needed, was really trying to avoid charging off the bikes battery at camp!

GAVic can you let us know which model of the morph you have if you get a chance
It looks just like this one. When I get home I can tell you the exact one I have though.
GAVic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 12:25 PM   #3465
klinquist
übergeek

Oddometer: 1,085
I just got this battery pack as part of a kickstarter and am very impressed. 11000mAh lasts forever and it seems to have a very accurate % remaining display.

I do the same - charge this on the bike while riding, charge gadgets overnight using this battery pack.