User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-24-2010, 07:18 AM   #376
fitenfyr
Dirt is Good

Oddometer: 422
I am using them with a hornet.
The fit is fine but the hornet is a bit noisy so with ear plugs in the volume on certain devices is a bit lower than I prefer but is sufficient.
2005 F650GS
http://www.jasonstiffey.com
fitenfyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 08:23 AM   #377
ellen2wheels
n00b

Oddometer: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketMoto
E2W:

Shoei helmets can be a bit tricky, as the ear pockets are not all that deep - not like your Arai, anyway. Fortunately, the Sena speakers are very slim. We can give you some pointers on the install, if you call and ask for me.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fitenfyr
I am using them with a hornet.
Thanks Guys.
I decided to order the ear bud setup from Rocket Moto.
I'll keep the speakers in the Arai.
I guess I missed you Adam,but spoke to Dave.

Thanks for the help.
ellen2wheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 11:23 AM   #378
fitenfyr
Dirt is Good

Adam,
So is the earbud setup in stock now or are you still filling back orders?

I want to order one to try out.

Jason
2005 F650GS
Old 08-24-2010, 04:55 PM   #379
RocketMoto
2 Many Motersikles

Oddometer: 924
Quote:
Originally Posted by fitenfyr
Adam,
So is the earbud setup in stock now or are you still filling back orders?

I want to order one to try out.

Jason
Jason - we've got 'em. Give us a hollah!
Autocom | TPX Radar/Laser | Sena Bluetooth
| Hi-Power LED Lights
Shorai Battery | Techmount | Powerlet | Rowe PDM60 | Skene Design

RocketMoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010, 03:46 PM   #380
Country Doc
Wanderer

Oddometer: 2,652
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoolCarbon
Didn't know they offered that option...not listed over here, damn...
I don't quite understand what the difference is between using the Sena earbud/clamp headset vs. just plugging in a set of earbuds to the headphone jack on the unit I already have.

Sorry I'm a dufus about this. I'd appreciate some clarification, as I use the speakers 90% of the time and like them, but would enjoy ALSO using the earbud function when I really want to listen to music.

dc
Country Doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010, 03:48 PM   #381
fitenfyr
Dirt is Good

What you are seeing is not an output ear bud jack.
It is an audio input for direct sound from something that has a 3.5mm output jack like an iPod.
2005 F650GS
Old 08-25-2010, 04:16 PM   #382
Country Doc
Wanderer

Oddometer: 2,652

thanks...

Gotta talk to Adam about ordering an earbud unit I suppose. I'd love to be able to have the same unit and just swap back and forth, but I guess that's not possible.

dc
Country Doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 08:06 AM   #383
frtzl
Mors longa, vita brevis

Oddometer: 231
Quote:
Originally Posted by Country Doc

thanks...

Gotta talk to Adam about ordering an earbud unit I suppose. I'd love to be able to have the same unit and just swap back and forth, but I guess that's not possible.

dc
There's no "speaker + earbud" solution from Sena, but once you have the mounting plate on your helmet, it's pretty easy to insert/remove the speakers from the ear pockets (at least for my helmet, an HCJ) and swap the entire bracket!

Several people, myself included, hacked the speaker wiring to get a 3.5mm stereo jack mounted, which could also be wired with the speakers still in place. In my case I didn't like the results, which is due at least in part to my own soldering prowess, but it's not technically difficult. You might want to give this a try and if you don't like it, buy the ...303 bracket for using earbuds.

I have purchased the earbud version of the adapter and I'm using some Shure E2C w/ foam earphones with it and doubt I'll go back, but if it or the headphones ever crap out I'll just swap back until I can replace it.

NB for all: The 3.5mm stereo INPUT jack is a bit ticklish. The jack is set rather deeply into the body of the mounting bracket, which means that your audio plug might not actually seat properly (or only seat for one ear). Be sure that what ever 3.5mm extension cord you chose has a rather narrow profile at the plug end intended for the Sena. I am using some pre-historic 3.5mm male-3.5mm male cords from Apple that were originally for hooking up external speakers and they fit well.

My rides:
2009 BMW F650GS (The Cruise Basselope)
2009 Yamaha Zuma 125 (Sold due to new commute)
2000 BMW R1100R (Blaue Engel) (Traded)
2006 DL650 Euro Black, lightly customized (Godzuki) (Sold)
frtzl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 12:58 PM   #384
sonic578
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 725
For those who have hacked in the earbuds, are you using them in parallel with the speakers, or, cutting the line and inserting earbuds in place of speakers? I happen to use ER-6i buds with these specs:

ER•6i Technical Specifications
Frequency response:
50 Hz to 16 kHz
Tolerance: ±3 dB to 6 kHz, ±6 dB to 16 kHz re nominal
Transducer type: Balanced armature
1 kHz sensitivity: 108 dB @ 0.1V
Impedance: 16 Ohms
Maximum output: 120 dB SPL
Maximum continuous input: 2.5 Vrms
Weight: less than 1 oz.

Is the level about right? Has anyone checked output voltage? I assume since it is charged via USB, that the internal battery is in the range of 3.5~5.0 volts? By any chance is the stereo speaker amp bridged?

BTW, if Sena were to give us an accessory with speakers AND an earbud jack, that would be great. In the meantime, I guess we keep hacking?
Old 08-26-2010, 03:16 PM   #385
Judge Dredd
Adventurer

Oddometer: 32
iPhone 3GS help

Just got my Sena which paired immediately with my iPhone 3GS

Phone and music streaming working well but I can't use the skip forward/back function for music tracks as described in the manual i.e.press the jog dial in and twist forward/back at the same time

Anyone with the 3GS manage to get this function working or got any tips?

For info my iPhone's firmware is 4.0.2.
Judge Dredd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 03:38 PM   #386
sparkletoes
Adventurer

Oddometer: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Judge Dredd
Just got my Sena which paired immediately with my iPhone 3GS

Phone and music streaming working well but I can't use the skip forward/back function for music tracks as described in the manual i.e.press the jog dial in and twist forward/back at the same time

Anyone with the 3GS manage to get this function working or got any tips?

For info my iPhone's firmware is 4.0.2.
Are you Big Nick from ukgser forum?! Same question there, answered. I replied to this here on page 16, post #230. Same answer. AVRCP in iOS 4.1 imminent release will enable this feature. Too lazy to post the links here and on ukgser! Short answer - it's coming soon.
sparkletoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2010, 06:49 AM   #387
NestorK
Artiface Artisan

Oddometer: 13,278
There are apps such as Bluetooth Helper which reinterprets a set # of play/pause commands into track skip commands. It worked well when i had my midland bt headset paired to my iphone 3gs. the only problem is if the program was interrupted by alerts or phone calls, it had to be manually restarted.

I've tried using it with the Sena and my iPod touch but can't seem to get it to work. I pair my phone thru my zumo, so i can't use the mp3 player with that configuration.

Maybe I'm doing something wrong.
NestorK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2010, 10:30 AM   #388
jblausey
Adventurer

Oddometer: 51
Rocket Moto

Last week I received the 3 units I ordered from Rocket Moto. After a weekend of use I noticed the right speaker sounded garbled or blown on the unit in my helmet. On Tuesday the 24th I sent a email to Rocket Moto and and 8 minutes later Adam responded with suggestions as to what might be wrong. I tried his suggestions and it appeared to work. After more farting around with it the static came back and the speaker cut out completely. I sent another email and was told they would do an RMA and see if I could get a replacement unit before my ride on the weekend. I decided to call just to confirm things. Dave answered and I figured I'd have to bring him up to speed on the situation but he told me he was looking at the email and was familiar with what was going on. Nice. We talked a few minutes and he filled out the RMA to Sena. A couple of hours later I had email from Sena stating they were sending a replacement unit. The next morning I had a UPS tracking number and Thursday when I got home from work there was a brand new unit waiting to be installed. I used it this morning and it works great. Two days from problem to solution. I'll be able to use it for the ride this weekend as I had hoped.

I don't think I have ever had such fantastic customer service from any vendor. A big thank you to Dave and Adam at Rocket Moto and to Dan Kim at Sena. In today's world of online shopping and looking for the best price, service is often over looked. Without the excellent service from Rocket Moto this wouldn't have happened so quickly.

John Blausey
Old 08-27-2010, 10:59 AM   #389
Duster929
New Member!

Oddometer: 195
Quote:
Originally Posted by jblausey
I don't think I have ever had such fantastic customer service from any vendor. A big thank you to Dave and Adam at Rocket Moto and to Dan Kim at Sena. In today's world of online shopping and looking for the best price, service is often over looked. Without the excellent service from Rocket Moto this wouldn't have happened so quickly.
Doesn't it just kill you when they have the best price too? :)

--- D

Duster929 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2010, 06:50 AM   #390
ptourin
Adventurer

Oddometer: 15
SMH10 and iPhone

Here's another plug for the SENA. We got a pair in May and rode 6 days on Skyline Drive and the Blue Ridge Parkway with them, plus some riding on the Outer Banks. As others have observed - intercom is great, works fine at 55-65, OK at 65-75. Helmet wind noise seems to be the limiting factor - I know my helmet is too wide and lets in a lot of wind - I'll write again after I pick up another helmet. Music quality has been very nice, again within the limitations of helmets and road noise. We're performing musicians, and we didn't expect much - boy, were we pleasantly surprised!

Volume and sound quality does depend on speaker placement - I've moved my speakers a bit at a time and seen how this makes a difference. Going from music to intercom has mostly worked very smoothly. Once the 2nd unit got fussy and wouldn't contact me with a jog dial press, but a reset fixed that problem. I don't like using phones on my bike, but once someone called me and I took the call - it switched back to music automatically after the call was done. All very cool!!

One comment about features/failures - make sure whether your problems are SENA problems or if they are from the gear you connect. For example - every time we'd leave home with music on, each of us would skip tracks a few times over the first few minutes, then intermittently after. We were all upset about "the SENA problem" until we found out that our iPhones were set for "Shake to Shuffle" - our first half mile is on dirt roads, so every time we hit a bump the iPhone would pick another song. Oops...

We also didn't understand the difference between Voice Activated Intercom and Voice Activated Phone Answering - so we couldn't figure out for awhile why every time we coughed we ended up talking to each other. Oops again...

About Skip Forward/Back - this has already been covered, but it's iOS dependent, and it will be available with iOS 4.1. I think they're in 3rd beta release now, so it should be out soon. The "press and hold to pause" feature works fine with our 3GS phones.

Has anyone actually bought JayBird BlueTrax or Bluetooth Helper? They supposedly each give you the skip functions, but I'm not sure they'd really work with the SENA - for example, the BluTrax wants to translate 2 successive presses/3 successive presses into Skip Forward/Back. If I had to guess, I'd guess this would simply toggle the intercom. Has anyone tried it?

-Peter
ptourin is offline   Reply With Quote