Go Back   ADVrider > Gear > Equipment
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-29-2010, 07:40 PM   #391
jermyzy
n00b

Oddometer: 2
just curious, when they say 10 day standby battery life. Does that the mean the unit will stay on for 10 days if just left on? Or just 10 days in general before it needs charged? I fully charged up 2 units about 2-3 weeks ago. Only used it actively for maybe 2-3 hours, and today when I went for a ride with my wife, once of the units died.
jermyzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 01:57 PM   #392
ptourin
Adventurer

Oddometer: 15
SENA standby life

I think they mean that if you charge it fully and don't use it at all, it'll stay alive for 10 days. I assume that if you try to use it on the 9th or 10th day you won't get many hours out of it before it goes down.
ptourin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 05:10 PM   #393
beachamb21
n00b

Oddometer: 9
New Sena (Flat Mic and 3.5 Input)

There are now 3 new clamp units available for the SENA SMH-10 allowing you to use a Flat Mic with the normal speakers, a boom mic with your OWN earbuds and a flat mic with your own ear buds. MrHit.com has all of these available for $34.99 each! Add this to your headset or consider getting a Sena for the first time now that it works for your helmet! DUAL Sets are still $259.99 and Singles are $149.99! MrHit.com
beachamb21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 10:08 PM   #394
tmotten
Lefthand ride Dutchy

Oddometer: 2,456
Good deal. Intrigued about this thing. Just read the manual. It said that the voice control start when you loudly speak the first word. How much of this word is passed on to the other unit? Usually there is a delay.

It also says that the unit stops the conversation after 20 seconds. Does this mean the MP3 is cut off completely during this 20 seconds?

Has anyone tried how far the link goes on a twisty forest road?

tmotten screwed with this post 09-02-2010 at 04:29 AM
tmotten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 11:03 AM   #395
ptourin
Adventurer

Oddometer: 15
SMH10 range

>Has anyone tried how far the link goes on a twisty forest road?<

Our experience is that if you're not in line of sight, you're about to lose the signal. Big hills, big turns, buildings, forest - any of this reduces the range. In that way it's less handy than CB radio - but it's been enough range for most of the road riding we do, since we try to stay in visual contact. If you're riding where there's cell phone signal and you get out of intercom range, you could connect by cell phone - we haven't played with this much yet because it's distracting, but I want to play with voice actuated iPhone calls - has anyone else tried this?

We turned off voice actuated intercom because every time we sneezed we'd be talking to each other ... It's easy enough to hit the jog dial when you want to talk.
ptourin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 03:49 PM   #396
tmotten
Lefthand ride Dutchy

Oddometer: 2,456
Thanks for that. I usually ride a bit further apart in forest to keep the dust down to I'd probably need a 2 way.

How many have hooked this up. I saw the post with the Jabra bi-directional unit which are getting pretty rare now. I'm guessing this would need to be paired as a phone with the phone voice control on?
tmotten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 07:52 PM   #397
Bremsstrahlung
Reformed Pod Person

Oddometer: 73
OK... I have read through this entire post. ( took me two days.. alright, so I'm 6 years old, OK. )
I have a Zumo 550 and an iphone 3gs with (ios4) Am I correct in assuming the iphone will work perfectly for stereo music and phone abilities? So if I just use my iphone as my mp3 player and phone, my life will be less complicated with the sena.
As far as the Zumo 550 goes, if I agree to JUST use it as a GPS for voice direction prompts, and not use its phone or music abilities, my life will be less complicated also.
As I read through this post, I kept thinking this whenever I read a post about people using the Zumo 550 and iphone and connectivity issues. Am I missing something? Isn't the answer to use the iphone as your phone and mp3 player and use the Zumo as a GPS ONLY?

Bremsstrahlung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2010, 06:17 AM   #398
Duster929
New Member!

Oddometer: 195
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bremsstrahlung
OK... I have read through this entire post. ( took me two days.. alright, so I'm 6 years old, OK. )
I have a Zumo 550 and an iphone 3gs with (ios4) Am I correct in assuming the iphone will work perfectly for stereo music and phone abilities? So if I just use my iphone as my mp3 player and phone, my life will be less complicated with the sena.
As far as the Zumo 550 goes, if I agree to JUST use it as a GPS for voice direction prompts, and not use its phone or music abilities, my life will be less complicated also.
As I read through this post, I kept thinking this whenever I read a post about people using the Zumo 550 and iphone and connectivity issues. Am I missing something? Isn't the answer to use the iphone as your phone and mp3 player and use the Zumo as a GPS ONLY?

Yes, you synthesized all the comments pretty much perfectly.

That's what I do with my phone and Zumo 550, and it works perfectly. The downside is that you don't get the "call display" through the Zumo, and you can't make phone calls using the screen of the Zumo. However, if you try to use the phone through the Zumo, you can't use the phone to play MP3 in stereo, and you only get mono.

--- D

Duster929 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2010, 06:43 AM   #399
Bremsstrahlung
Reformed Pod Person

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duster929
Yes, you synthesized all the comments pretty much perfectly.

That's what I do with my phone and Zumo 550, and it works perfectly. The downside is that you don't get the "call display" through the Zumo, and you can't make phone calls using the screen of the Zumo. However, if you try to use the phone through the Zumo, you can't use the phone to play MP3 in stereo, and you only get mono.

--- D

Yee-haaa! My 6th grade teacher will be so proud!
I guess after wrestling with an Autocom setup in the past, with it's miles of cables, wires and plugs, and before the iPhone era as we now have it, I'm trying to see the simple and clear through it all. If the only downside is not being able to get the Zumo's call display, then so be it. I'll call it a sacrifice to the beast that is motorcycle communications for peace. ( anyone who has had an older communication setup knows exactly what I'm talking about! )

By the way, after reading all this, you guys weren't kidding about RocketMoto.com. I sent an email asking about pricing and function of the Sena at 10pm on a Friday night, and within 20 minutes I had a reply from Dave himself. Nice. Am going to order the unit today.
Old 09-04-2010, 06:58 AM   #400
awp0
n00b

Oddometer: 1
Another plug for Adam over at Rocket Moto. I happen to live fairly close and I met up with him last week to purchase a Sena dual pack.

I haven't had a chance to try out the unit (waiting on a new Scorpion EXO900), but I was extremely impressed with Adam's helpfulness and the price was great.

Aaron
awp0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2010, 01:27 PM   #401
Jibby
Adventurer

Oddometer: 92
The Zumo 550 and iphone relationship

I find the way the iphone and Zumo work is like a relationship.

Sometimes they get along great and everything runs smoothly. Other times they don't get along and don't talk to each other.

Am I projecting?

Anyway, so I went on a nice little 120 mile breakfast run this morning and I think I have found the best configuration between the iphone, Zumo 550 and the Sena that works for me.

I find that I like to have the iphone paired to the Zumo 550 so I can see who is calling and occasionally dial out. As for tunes, I don't like the interface between the Sena and iphone to operate the music.

I have tried to use an iJet remote with the iphone but it wants to stream the music via the iJet instead of Bluetooth for some reason. When it does that, I can't hear anything. You can choose to stream to the BT in the ipod mode and it works well but if you haven't used iphone in the ipod mode for awhile, it reverts back to the iJet and you have to go into the iphone and set it back up. Major PITA that requires my having to pull over and take off my gloves to work the iphone.

I have also experimented using my old ipod nano with the iJet and a BT adapter. In this case the iCombi AP21. I find that the iJet and iCombi (or any other BT adapter I have tried for that matter) daisy-chained together creates interference that is pretty irritating. I also heard this interference when using the iJet on the iphone.

I also tried the iCombi without the iJet and just didn't like the the way the controls on the Sema work. It sorta seems like black magic. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't.

Okay. So what works for me?

I take my little ipod nano and use the 3.5mm jack on the headset. I then put the IJet receiver on the nano and put that in the inside chest pocket of my jacket.

Yeah, I know. It's a wire and we're trying to get away from wires with the whole BT thing. But the wire is long enough that I can connect it to the headset before I put on my helmet. No dangly wires running to the tank bag.

Well... this is the best setup I have found so far. If money were no object and my wife wouldn't kill me, I would change out the Zumo 550 for the 660 and run my music from that. I may still do that at some point.

On a slightly different subject, When I bought the Sena, I opted for the clamp that you can plug in both the earbuds and a different mic. This is a great way to go.

I have the boom mic positioned in side my Scorpion EXO900, between the shell and cheek pad. Now I don't have to wrestle with it every time I close the chin bar.

The sound I get from the earbuds is fantastic. I'm using a pair of Shure HP2's at the moment but I have a pair of the S-Plugs with the dual drivers on the way.

There you have it. YMMV

Jibby
Jibby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2010, 05:49 PM   #402
Bremsstrahlung
Reformed Pod Person

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jibby
As for tunes, I don't like the interface between the Sena and iphone to operate the music.
What didn't you like about the interface? That's how I'm planning to go.

Quote:
Yeah, I know. It's a wire and we're trying to get away from wires
Jibby[/QUOTE]

NO WIRE HANGERS !!! I mean , WIRE WIRES !!
I dunno... Sounds like your little nano wire is a gateway wire. Starts there, and you think you've got it under control ... Then you think, ahhh what's one more little wire, I can handle that --- Next thing you know, BAM!! you've got a big honkin' AutoCom plug dangling from your helmet.

Old 09-04-2010, 06:44 PM   #403
Jibby
Adventurer

Oddometer: 92

It just doesn't work all the time. There seems to be an unpredictable hesitation. I press the jog dial to start the music... Nothing happens... I press it again only just a little longer... Nothing happens... I press it again, quickly and boom the music starts... I press the jog dial and turn it at the same time... nothing happens... I try again... Again... it skips to the next song...

With the iJet and having it wired, it just works. And in a predictable manner.

I dunno... Sounds like your little nano wire is a gateway wire. Starts there, and you think you've got it under control ... Then you think, ahhh what's one more little wire, I can handle that --- Next thing you know, BAM!! you've got a big honkin' AutoCom plug dangling from your helmet.

Oh believe me. I went through the Autocom deal. No, this will be the only wire I add. If the Nano needs charging, I will put it in the tankbag and not have tunes for awhile.

Since I wrote my last post, my subconscious has been working over time rationalizing why I should get the Zumo 660. My subconscious needs to start paying the bills.

Jibby
Jibby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010, 06:55 AM   #404
NestorK
Artiface Artisan

Oddometer: 13,278
Quote:

It just doesn't work all the time. There seems to be an unpredictable hesitation. I press the jog dial to start the music... Nothing happens... I press it again only just a little longer... Nothing happens... I press it again, quickly and boom the music starts... I press the jog dial and turn it at the same time... nothing happens... I try again... Again... it skips to the next song...

With the iJet and having it wired, it just works. And in a predictable manner.

Oh believe me. I went through the Autocom deal. No, this will be the only wire I add. If the Nano needs charging, I will put it in the tankbag and not have tunes for awhile.

Since I wrote my last post, my subconscious has been working over time rationalizing why I should get the Zumo 660. My subconscious needs to start paying the bills.

Jibby
I have similar issues. Bluetooth between the zumo 660 and iphone has been ok, along with pairing from the zumo to the sena. Things were flaky when i tried pairing an ipod touch to get music in the mix. Sometimes it worked, sometimes it disconnected and had to be completely re-paired. Also, I wear earplugs and just couldn't get the volume I needed at highway speeds.

I have Shure in-ear buds, which have about -20dB noise reduction, but they would get ripped out of my ears every time I put on my helmet, no matter how careful I was.

My best result has been to plug in the Touch directly into the Sena. Much higher max volume, and an obviously more reliable connection.
NestorK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010, 11:03 PM   #405
surferbum
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 354
good experience on my BT2010

My setup for a 3500 mile trip I just finished used the Sena paired with my Droid Incredible (aka DI). I had a iPod connected using the 3.5mm stereo jack. I had a Zumo 665 for navigation but did not pair it with the Sena.

The music I listened to came from the DI either using Pandora or stored songs. The iPod had my entire multi-Gigabyte library and came in handy for long stretches of no cell phone coverage. I could easily answer phone calls with the setup. The music quality was great. My wife was along for 750 miles of the trip and we really enjoyed the two-way conversations as we were riding two-up. See had her own iPod with her favorite music.

The Zumo 665 sound quality was no where near as good as the DI's so I used the Zumo navigation via its screen (no audio). This worked fine. The downside is that the XM stereo wasn't used. I used the XM weather so it wasn't a total waste though.

Would charge the Sena units up each night and had no problems with using there 8 hours/day. Never ran out of juice but had an on-motorcycle charging setup just in case.
BT2010 - Big Trip 2010 13 days and ...
My Spot WhereAmIriding
surferbum is offline   Reply With Quote