Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-12-2010, 08:54 AM   #421
levain
STILL Jim Williams

Oddometer: 6,943
Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketMoto
Murf, Factory settings or out of the box is PTT. You can change it easily if you wish, but PTT is the default.
I don't quite understand about exchanging the "optional" helmet clamp.. The units come with the speakers / boom mike clamp (A0301) and you can buy the others for $40 each. The logistics of trying to set up the packages with all the permutations of available clamp combinations would pretty much guarantee that I wouldn't have whatever you wanted unless I kept about 20 units in stock to cover all the possible combinations. Since we sell many units a week, I just don't have enough storeage area to keep enough stock to satisfy eveyone in a timely fashion. It works much better to have a base set, and offer the extra clamps as an option. Since many of us have more than 1 helmet, and "guest" helmets, I can see a use for the extra clamps. And at $259 for a dual, and $39.95 for the clamps, you're still only into it for $300 - $340, which is less than I paid for my last set of wired headphones.... And at your group buy price, less than retail for the Dual set alone...

=Dave=
Dave,
I totally get your point from a resellers point of view, but there's no denying the fact that many of us will never use the helmet speakers in favor of earbud, so it's just added cost for no reason. I suppose it gives us the opportunity to resell the speaker clamp, but again it's added cost when it doesn't really need to be.

Lots of folks are also coming from the old school nickel & diming that went on for so many years with all the different cables and such from both Autocom and Starcom. It seems like something that shouldn't be too difficult from the manufacturers end?
1971 Lambretta DL
levain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 04:40 PM   #422
kinkster
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 117
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bremsstrahlung
No yet. I'm waiting for my riding buddy to get onboard with the Sena. ( he's currently in a BMW GS Adventure induced funk that has sucked all the joy out of motorcycling for him. As soon as he sells it, he's picking up a Sena for his next ride. )

Hi just wondering what it was that went So wrong with the GSA?
Robbi
Old 09-12-2010, 05:21 PM   #423
Northstar Beemer
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 303
Thumb Plug for Sena

Utterly fantastic - I use mine with a Blackberry (BT) and an XM and iPod (connected). I also wear foam earplugs which knock out wind noise and allow for a nice hi-fi stero sound from the speakers.

Bike to Bike and rider to passenger all work flawlessly. I had one problem that I may or may not have induced - the unit was promptly replaced, no questions asked.

Rocketmoto is a very solid and responsive reseller.

Usual disclaimers etc.
Northstar Beemer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 05:37 PM   #424
sonic578
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 726
Just for grins today I paired Sena w/ iPod Touch 2nd gen in the home, full charge in both, put volume at max on Sena and let it play to get a sense for battery life in both. After about 6.5 hrs, Sena died. Hard to tell how much was left in the iPod, but battery icon was only about half gone.

That's a pretty severe condition, max volume into 32 ohm speakers. I'd bet with the earbud accessory that the time would extend considerably since the earbud power is typically quite a bit lower.

Maybe someone with the earbud accessory could check battery life with earbuds?
Old 09-12-2010, 07:34 PM   #425
Bremsstrahlung
Reformed Pod Person

Oddometer: 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by kinkster
Hi just wondering what it was that went So wrong with the GSA?
Robbi
I really don't want to hijack the thread with it. Short answer...three years,only 6,000 miles on it. Doesn't do anything well, the most over-hyped object in the history of the universe.

Anyway, Sena battery life in my experience so far ( with the standard speakers ) has been four days in a row commuting to work, which is a total of about 280 miles ( 35 miles each way, about 5.5 hrs total ) with the volume at 100% and still on the same charge. I too would be interested in the difference with earbuds though.

Bremsstrahlung screwed with this post 09-12-2010 at 07:43 PM
Bremsstrahlung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 08:27 PM   #426
mhumphrey
BMW 2009 R1200GS

Oddometer: 145
How does one protect hearing with this?

How are you folks who are not using the earbuds with this protecting your hearing? Are you wearing earplugs and then just cranking the Sena volume to compensate? Or are you just not using any sort of hearing protection?
mhumphrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 02:50 AM   #427
1coolbanana
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,380
Just picked up a dual pack of the Sena SMH10 for me and a mate.
I charged them up this afternoon and connected to my Zumo and phone no problem.

BUT, as soon as you turn the volume up past half way, the speakers just start crackling and distorting really badly.
With music, with a phone call, doesnt matter, as soon as the volume is turned up to be audible with earplugs it just goes real bad

Ive tried both units with both headsets and its the same regardlees, as soon as you turn it up it turns to crap.

The volume is no where near maxed to be totally unusable.

Any ideas or have I got faulty ones?
1coolbanana is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 09:22 AM   #428
ptourin
Adventurer

Oddometer: 15
SMH10 - good service!

We bought a double SMH10 box in May. Recently one of the main units started refusing to charge. I noticed that the power receptacle moved a bit, so I'm guessing that it's a surface mount and it came unsoldered. I contacted RadioRider - they put me in touch with Sena service and in a day I had an RMA nuber. I sent the main unit back in the original box.

It's now about a week later, and they've sent back a new box - total replacement. Felt this was extremely good service! I also got emails from them over the course of the week. I'm impressed!

ptourin screwed with this post 09-14-2010 at 09:02 AM
ptourin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 09:59 AM   #429
Lujo
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 978
I wanted to put in a plug both for the Sena and for the RocketMoto folks. Dealing with RocketMoto was pleasure -- it's clear that these guys are selling something they enjoy using themselves, and that they genuinely want to help you enjoy it too.

Overall I'm very pleased with the Sena intercoms, particularly for the price. Pairing is easy, sound quality is great. Those coming from Autocom, as I did, might want to be aware that rider-to-passenger comms via the Sena works pretty differently than via an Autocom. In particular, establishing a connection between two Sena headsets takes a second or two, which makes it something that I, at least, don't want to put up with before every exchange with my passenger. Hence, I've used my Sena only in a mode where the rider and passenger are constantly connected and can talk without delay. The downside of this is that some wind noise is always picked up and transmitted from one headset to the other. The upside is that communication is instantaneous and the sound quality is excellent, much better than via an Autocom.
Old 09-13-2010, 12:44 PM   #430
kajendog
Adventurer

Oddometer: 12
Intercom background noise

Picked up a pair from Rocketmoto..flawless transaction and nice guys..thanks.

Just installed and used for the first time over the weekend, and have a question on a small annoyance.

Between my wife and I with a clicked on constant intercom mode while we are getting ready Etc. we can both hear small little static bursts in the background. It sounds like when your on the phone and somebody is working in the kitchen 20 feet away. Kind of like a sporadic tapping sound. We have both held perfectly still standing with our helmets on and its still there. It is not microphone movement or breathing, we tried to narrow down if it was the obvious stuff. It has been there all 3 days, 1 recharge, on/offs, snap in snap out of brackets. Etc. wondering if there is an internal filtering issue or loose connector.

When traveling, the static gets drowned out by the wind noise. Its just a small annoyance and was curious if anyone else experienced this?

Thanks for any advice or input. What a nice product overall though.
kajendog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 12:49 PM   #431
Lujo
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 978
Quote:
Originally Posted by kajendog
When traveling, the static gets drowned out by the wind noise. Its just a small annoyance and was curious if anyone else experienced this?
We get some static too. Seems to happen only occasionally, and not really in bursts. As you say, it's usually drowned out by wind noise, and so it's never been a problem.
Old 09-13-2010, 07:26 PM   #432
1coolbanana
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,380
Help needed

Has anybody using a Zumo 550 had really bad distortion and crackling problems with the Zumo turned up?
We have 2 units and they both do the same.
The dealer is telling me the problem is with the Zumo!!!!

Were using Blueant Interphones before and never had distortion, just not enough volume.

Any help appreciated.
1coolbanana is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 05:19 PM   #433
tankhead
Path less traveled

Oddometer: 172
How bout Zumo 450

Since my Zumo 450 is a non-Bluetooth device could I plug the MP3 cord that they provide into the Garmin Zumo for receiving driving directions and music stored on the Zumo? I really only need the Sena for communication between me and my pillion. No need for talking on the phone while on my bike. Again I just need a communication device for talking to my wife and gps directions from my non bluetooth ZUMO gps. Tanks
Old 09-14-2010, 09:06 PM   #434
bash3r
I ain't no DingWeed

Oddometer: 1,696
During my Idaho trip this summer, we had all four of us running Sena headsets and they worked great! If you want to see a bit of distance, here's a video of me shooting the mountains and you can hear me talking to the up-coming rider.. and its clear as a whistle!

I also sync my Sena with my iPhone and Android with no issues. During our Idaho trip, I just charged my Sena with the included USB charging cable, right off my bike, with a Powerlet to USB cable.. like this:

Also, since we were buying 4 units, Ron at radiorider.com gave is a good deal..

Here's a few shots of my Sena on my Shoei DS Hornet..

Mic
\

Speakers

Works awesome.. I really dig it.. I'm going to buy a second Helmet Clamp Kit (Part#: SMH-A0301) to leave on my street helmet.

well.. my .02 cents at least..

P.S. Take your time and follow the instructions... when we did what it said, they worked great! haha!

ADV Gear | 3 Step Hideaway |Campground POIs

bash3r screwed with this post 09-14-2010 at 09:12 PM
bash3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2010, 05:18 AM   #435
tankhead
Path less traveled

Oddometer: 172
BUMP THIS QUESTION>>>> Since my Zumo 450 is a non-Bluetooth device could I plug the MP3 cord that they provide into the Garmin Zumo for receiving driving directions and music stored on the Zumo? I really only need the Sena for communication between me and my pillion. No need for talking on the phone while on my bike. Again I just need a communication device for talking to my wife and gps directions from my non bluetooth ZUMO gps.