Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-04-2011, 07:40 PM   #616
WoodButcher
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,041
Quote:
Originally Posted by WoodButcher View Post
I have done the following, which is what you want to do think, but different phone.

1. android phone to zumo
2 zumo to sena
3. android ad2p (music) to sena

Works okay, but the zumo seems to interrupt more than I expected. just little noise "events" will interrupt the music playing. But it does works.

As far as Pandora, I've used other streaming music like iheartradio successfully, but as mentioned before, you can't really control it from the sena. You need to start it playing from the phone and pause it on the phone.

Hope that helps.

I will say though that I decided to leave the zumo out of the loop. I was already used to visually getting the prompts from it so I have gone to just sena and phone for pairing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tesla View Post
Is the streaming music in stereo or mono?

The GPS voice prompts do get annoying sometimes. Most of my riding has been without them but I find that I do miss my turns more often as well.
Yes, all music is stereo. Well, if the phone gets it as stereo, then the Sena does. Meaning if you are streaming from a mono AM station, it won't get better

2009 BMW R1200GS Adventure
1999 DR650
WoodButcher is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 07:41 PM   #617
WoodButcher
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwampNut View Post
I am able to pause and flip to the next track in Pandora on my iPhone 4 using the button on the Sena.

I also have a wired handlebar control button for my phone, and that works with Pandora as well. I can use either when I feel like it.
Actually, I don't remember trying that with Pandora. I just remember not being able to stop the streaming radio like I wanted to. I'll go test that now.

1999 DR650
Old 04-04-2011, 09:22 PM   #618
WoodButcher
Beastly Adventurer

Yep, I can pause and skip to the next song in Pandora from the Sena.

1999 DR650
Old 04-05-2011, 08:25 PM   #619
PhotoBiker
Please insert title here

Oddometer: 1,436
Quote:
Originally Posted by SwampNut View Post
Now, the Sena is nowhere near the Autocom for total sound quality, particularly on the phone. People would comment that my phone calls sounded like it was a landline with the Autocom, and now they comment that it's just back to being your regular crappy headset call. Ah well.
FYI: I owned my Autocom for about 8 years, made one phone call the day I got the thing wired up to my 'RT, I called my work phone and left a message. Felt that was 'cool' but a PIA to have to handle the phone & wires on the bike (this was 8 years ago, no "Voice Dial"). Never made or took anymore phone calls

I've owned my Sena for 8 days and have averaged a phone call a day on the thing. It is so easy to work and I've had no problems with people understanding me at any speed in my XD3 with my stock GS windscreen through a Balaclava. I did call home once and left a voice message so I could hear myself and I was quite impressed. I was able to schedule a meeting with a sub today on my way into work (we are remodeling our kitchen). He called in while I was listening to some music. After the call, my music picked up where it left off.

To be honest though, I think the thing that makes this all so easy is the iPhone and the Voice Control, I can call anyone in my contact list with a touch of a button on the Sena and some yelling into the mic. I can play any of my playlists by speaking too.

I'm impressed so far.
'06 Ninja 250
Check out my Gallery
PhotoBiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 10:53 AM   #620
cruisincruzan
Adventurer

Oddometer: 58
Vox with Sena

I use an Autocom that has the VOX dialed in perfectly for intercom use. I don't have to shout I begin talking it turns on. I don't want to press a button to initiate talking to my passenger. What is the real world experience using the VOX? Will I be disappointed/frustrated?
cruisincruzan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 02:54 PM   #621
cyclebot
Adventurer

Oddometer: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by cruisincruzan View Post
I use an Autocom that has the VOX dialed in perfectly for intercom use. I don't have to shout I begin talking it turns on. I don't want to press a button to initiate talking to my passenger. What is the real world experience using the VOX? Will I be disappointed/frustrated?
It works well, however differently from how it works on a wired intercom. The VOX on the Sena will completely cut out your music stream, whereas on a wired system it will fade out your music.

I like that more because then I know for sure someone is trying to talk to me, or I opened up the VOX.

My .02
cyclebot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 03:09 PM   #622
samaza
intercontinental

Oddometer: 71
guys I did alot of research into this, I chose the Scala Rider G4, but really its for riders who will use this ALOT and will take advantage of the extra features. If you just want basic communication go for the SHarktooth System. Just wrote up a detailed review on the Scala RIder G4

My latest blog post: In Review: OTC 1545 Personal Motorcycle Lift
samaza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 03:24 PM   #623
Tesla
Adventurer

Oddometer: 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by samaza View Post
guys I did alot of research into this, I chose the Scala Rider G4, but really its for riders who will use this ALOT and will take advantage of the extra features. If you just want basic communication go for the SHarktooth System. Just wrote up a detailed review on the Scala RIder G4
What was it about the Scala G4 that you chose it over the Sena?
Tesla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 08:08 PM   #624
worwig
Lost in Georgia

Oddometer: 1,059
Quote:
Originally Posted by cruisincruzan View Post
I switched from an Autocom Duo system to the Sena. The lack of a good VOX on the Sena is about my only complaint with it. I'm still pretty new to the Sena and learning, but it appears that I can set it so the button toggles, thus I can talk to the passenger 100% of the time until I press the toggle button to turn it totally off. Or I can use the VOX, which requires a way too loud of a sound to initiate for XX seconds OR press the button and it is on for XX seconds.
I currently have the VOX enabled, so I get the timeout, but I usually just press the button to activate it, not rely on the VOX. I want the timeout so I don't hear passenger wind noise and to maybe save battery.
Not the best, but it works. And it is SO much louder then the Autocom, that it is useable at speed.
Old 04-06-2011, 08:14 PM   #625
ReactorTrip
glows in the dark

Oddometer: 557
Quote:
Originally Posted by samaza View Post
Let me know how the Scala works out when the battery goes dead on a ride. If it happens to the Sena, I will just go wired as I charge it and continue to use it. Besides that they are essentially identical for single rider use.

I do prefer the jog dial to the buttons on the Scala as well.
ReactorTrip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 08:00 AM   #626
Tesla
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReactorTrip View Post
Let me know how the Scala works out when the battery goes dead on a ride. If it happens to the Sena, I will just go wired as I charge it and continue to use it. Besides that they are essentially identical for single rider use.

I do prefer the jog dial to the buttons on the Scala as well.
What Reactor said and Sena's ability to use ear bud speakers. The only advantages of the Cardo I can see is increased range (more than necessary for real world applications) and the ability to multiplex other users at the same time (all can talk at the same time). Ability for software updates is intriguing. A recent update was pretty slick where it provides the ability to connect easily to other riders that you should come upon. Of course they will also need to have a Cardo and it may have to be a G4 (what are the odds).

Barry
Old 04-07-2011, 10:14 AM   #627
SwampNut
Adventurer

Oddometer: 43
Quote:
Tell me about this handlebar control button.
I made it myself. Most smartphones allow you to control music and phone by shorting out two pins on the headset jack. This is how the stock headsets with their inline button work. Here are all the details and photos:

http://www.bmwlt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=58843
SwampNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 10:56 AM   #628
cyclebot
Adventurer

Oddometer: 44
Quote:
What Reactor said and Sena's ability to use ear bud speakers. The only advantages of the Cardo I can see is increased range (more than necessary for real world applications) and the ability to multiplex other users at the same time (all can talk at the same time). Ability for software updates is intriguing. A recent update was pretty slick where it provides the ability to connect easily to other riders that you should come upon. Of course they will also need to have a Cardo and it may have to be a G4 (what are the odds).

Barry
+1 on what Barry said

I must say that from experience that the Sena has much better ergos, and sound quality for music as compared to the Scala. There is practically no bass response on the Scala speakers.

That said I think the Scala G4 is slightly better for intercom, as the speakers were probably selected with only that in mind, plus the ability to add more than one rider at a time is a plus.

Cheers
cyclebot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 11:21 AM   #629
ReactorTrip
glows in the dark

Oddometer: 557
Sena's also making a device to bluetooth to a radio. You will no longer be restricted to talking to just Sena users, but every radio user autcom/starcom/anyone who uses a normal radio.
ReactorTrip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 08:53 AM   #630
Tesla
Adventurer

Got my Sena and have some questions for Woodbutcher and others that use or know of pairings with a Zumo 550 and IPhone4 and/or smartphone.

I've found that Iphone4 does not like to be paired to 2 devices.

Major skips while listening to internet radio (Pandora) via bluetooth. When I disconnect the Zumo (which removes Iphone pairing with it) all is well. Wired connection to Iphone4 is fine.

Unable to activate intercom from headset B. Can activate intercom from headset A. Disconnect Zumo and all is well.

Obviously I would like to hear internet radio on the Iphone via bluetooth stereo and have the Zumo in the mix as well. Is it possible? You Droid guys have this issue?

Also getting loud static crackles when going back to music from intercom. Is that normal?

Thanks,

Barry