Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-08-2011, 10:33 AM   #631
BlueLghtning
Riding is my passion

Oddometer: 4,889
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tesla View Post
Got my Sena and have some questions for Woodbutcher and others that use or know of pairings with a Zumo 550 and IPhone4 and/or smartphone.

I've found that Iphone4 does not like to be paired to 2 devices.

Major skips while listening to internet radio (Pandora) via bluetooth. When I disconnect the Zumo (which removes Iphone pairing with it) all is well. Wired connection to Iphone4 is fine.

Unable to activate intercom from headset B. Can activate intercom from headset A. Disconnect Zumo and all is well.

Obviously I would like to hear internet radio on the Iphone via bluetooth stereo and have the Zumo in the mix as well. Is it possible? You Droid guys have this issue?

Also getting loud static crackles when going back to music from intercom. Is that normal?

Thanks,

Barry
Someone mentioned it earlier, but have you focused on the pairing order? You first pair the Iphone to the Zumo so that the BT headset profile gets used. Then you pair the iPhone to the Sena so the A2DP or AVCRP profile gets used. Now, the only reason I could think that its cutting out is that something else that you might pair with the iphone keeps trying to connect and is interrupting the current connection? I'm surprised the Iphone still doesn't let you select what BT devices use what profile. I can select on my android phone to only select the phone audio and leave the media audio available to another device.
Smugmug Pics - Save $5 <-- Click Here
BlueLghtning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 04:27 PM   #632
Tesla
Adventurer

Oddometer: 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueLghtning View Post
Someone mentioned it earlier, but have you focused on the pairing order? You first pair the Iphone to the Zumo so that the BT headset profile gets used. Then you pair the iPhone to the Sena so the A2DP or AVCRP profile gets used. Now, the only reason I could think that its cutting out is that something else that you might pair with the iphone keeps trying to connect and is interrupting the current connection? I'm surprised the Iphone still doesn't let you select what BT devices use what profile. I can select on my android phone to only select the phone audio and leave the media audio available to another device.
That was me that posted the pairing order.

I found the fix. Its a bluetooth stereo dongle connected to Iphone. Sounds a bit counter intuitive and/or redundant since Iphone4 already has bluetooth stereo (not sure about previous versions of Iphone). Pair the dongle to Sena and it works perfectly since you take the Iphone pairing to the Sena out of the loop. Also cleared up the intercom issue. It seems like the handsfree profile and bluetooth stereo profile on the Iphone are not distinct enough for the Sena to manage it and it causes the skips mentioned on internet radio. +1 for Droid phones as mentioned that you can select the profiles to go where you want them.

I hope this helps someone. If someone else has posted this fix, please mention it here so we can give credit where credit is due.

Barry
Tesla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 05:54 PM   #633
stinkmitten
n00b

Oddometer: 5
SENA smh10

I just got the smh10 from Rocket Moto and I wanted to give a thumbs up review as far as shipping and service which was super quick and helpful even though I called with no internet for reference and not a great understanding of what I needed. Everything paired up easily and sounds good. When the snow eventually clears and I can get a road test in will be the real proof, but the interface seems intuitive and volume more than sufficient. Great price too with the group buy discount!
stinkmitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2011, 08:17 AM   #634
Jibby
Adventurer

Oddometer: 92
Kudos to Adam and Sena

To make a long story short, my garage was broken into and they took my SMH10 along with most everything.

Well, except my bike. Didn't even touch the gloves on the seat and my Motoport jacket hanging from the mirror. Or my new Schuberth C3. Not into bikes I guess.

Anyway, I had a trip planned a few days later to Death Valley with a buddy who has a SMH10 so I wrote Adam an email and he sent me another headset that arrived in plenty of time.

My buddy and I were able to yak while cruising the park and he has an open face helmet. With the addition of a bigger windsock, the wind noise is minimal.

A great product and a great Vendor.

Thanks Adam

Jibby.
Jibby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 12:35 AM   #635
Jimmy the Heater
Tilting the Horizon

Oddometer: 1,856
Just got the dual set all mounted up on the GF and my helmets. Haven't taken a ride yet so this is all based on testing in the house but here is what we have found so far.

Mounting to our Scorpion EXO 400's couldn't be easier. I've seen a few ppl say that this is a difficult to mount helmet, ummm nope!

Unit on GF's helmet charges funny-Plug in to charge, light is red, after a few hours it goes to blue, but if you leave it plugged in it will go back to red as if it's not fully charged. Strange. We haven't tested total battery life between her set and mine but will keep an eye on this.

Also I can barely hear her in the house either on intercom or through a phone call. Seems like her mic isn't picking up her voice well enough. We tested her just calling my headset with her phone and that was plenty loud. Also played music into my set and it was plenty loud so I know it's not the speaker placement in my helmet that's the issue. (I remember someone else having a similar issue in this thread and will try to search to find it)

Overall very very impressed with the potential of these sets and once these little issues are worked out I think it will be one of the "must have" pieces of equipment that you wonder how you did without.
Jimmy the Heater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 05:43 AM   #636
rifflebox
Yee Haw!

Oddometer: 210
Some Observations on the SMH10

I am in the fourth week of a cross-country tour with 7,000 miles logged so far. I brought a SMH10 with me to connect to a Zumo 550 with the XM puck and an iPhone. My helmet did not take the clamp mount so I used the sticky mount. I am not using the unit for bike-to-bike communications because I'm riding solo. One thing I learned is that the Zumo won't feed XM through bluetooth so I had to use the 3.5 mm cable between the SMH mount and the Zumo mount. That somewhat defeats the purpose of getting a Bluetooth device. However, the sound quality is much better than via bluetooth.

One problem is with the microphone, which is a tight fit in my Shoei Multitech. After hours of riding the rubbing becomes very irritating. Next time I would order the mount with a microphone that sticks to the chin-guard if it works with the lift up face-plate of the modular Shoei.

Another problem is that the unit sticks out from the helmet and is vulnerable to damage when you are gearing up and moving equipment around. It finally got to the point where I had to buy some velcro to re-secure the mount to the helmet after I had knocked it around a few times. This is user error, but after many hours it is just a matter of time. I also noticed that at times the Sena would make it difficult to look over my left shoulder if it was rubbing against my jacket collar.

A final problem is that the sound is now cutting in and out. It seems to happen using the bluetooth or the cable. I think it relates to wear and tear on the mount, and not to the SMH10 module itself. It got to the point where I removed the SMH10 and replaced it with some simple ear-buds which let me do everything but talk on the phone. Since the Zumo lets me know if I am receiving a call at least I know if someone is trying to contact me. If necessary I just pull over and call back.

Battery life on the SMH10 is really good and it is easy to handle by feel, even with thick gloves on. I still believe it is the best unit out there. The next time I will try the mount with the sticky microphone and the ear-bud option. I would also purchase the new module that connects to other devices, like radio or radar detectors if it would feed the XM content without the wire. The wire is a PITA!

Thanks!
Old 04-10-2011, 06:06 AM   #637
SwampNut
Adventurer

Oddometer: 43
Quote:
Also I can barely hear her in the house either on intercom or through a phone call. Seems like her mic isn't picking up her voice well enough.
Look for a diamond shape on the mic near the stem. That should be facing her mouth, not the other side.
SwampNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 06:48 AM   #638
Tesla
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rifflebox View Post
A final problem is that the sound is now cutting in and out. It seems to happen using the bluetooth or the cable. I think it relates to wear and tear on the mount, and not to the SMH10 module itself. It got to the point where I removed the SMH10 and replaced it with some simple ear-buds which let me do everything but talk on the phone.

Is this your first bluetooth comm set? It wont be as solid as wired set and will occasionally have minor cut outs but nothing major. If the cut outs vanished with the wire, that tells me it was the bluetooth rather than wear and tear on the mount

Battery life on the SMH10 is really good and it is easy to handle by feel, even with thick gloves on. I still believe it is the best unit out there. The next time I will try the mount with the sticky microphone and the ear-bud option. Just keep in mind that this will still be a bluetooth connection and subject to bluetooth limitations (albeit with better quality ear bud speakers).

I would also purchase the new module that connects to other devices, like radio or radar detectors if it would feed the XM content without the wire. The wire is a PITA! I looked at Sena's website and it doesn't say anything about the SR10 working with XM

Thanks!
Quote:
Originally Posted by SwampNut View Post
I made it myself. Most smartphones allow you to control music and phone by shorting out two pins on the headset jack. This is how the stock headsets with their inline button work. Here are all the details and photos:

http://www.bmwlt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=58843
Thanks Swampnut, I'll check it out.

Barry
Old 04-10-2011, 07:07 AM   #639
rifflebox
Yee Haw!

Oddometer: 210
SR10 Audio

"I looked at Sena's website and it doesn't say anything about the SR10 working with XM"

I had hoped that the SR10's AUX input would support a feed from any audio source assuming it uses a 3.5 mm jack. If so, I could connect the Zumo's audio out jack on the Zumo mount to the SR10's input jack with a short wire, but we will have to see.

Thanks!
Old 04-10-2011, 07:13 AM   #640
marco polo
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 630
Quote:
Originally Posted by KnuckC View Post
... Being in Canada, the nasty customs people erroneously charged $60 for duty which I had to pay if I wanted delivery. When I advised Sena of this they took responsibility and within a week I received a cheque for the 60 bucks. So far no issues with the new sets.
Sena should have clearly marked the Customs Declaration, "Warranty Replacement". That should have allowed your replacement units to come in without tax (you say duty in your post, but motorcycle intercoms should be duty free; sure you don't mean you were charged tax, and not duty).
marco polo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 07:50 AM   #641
KnuckC
F8er

Oddometer: 199
Yes, I meant tax not duty.
KnuckC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 03:08 PM   #642
Tesla
Adventurer

Unable to Track Forward

Suddenly I am no longer able to track forward internet radio on the Sena. When I first tested it was fine but now is a no-go. Any ideas?

Barry
Old 04-10-2011, 05:42 PM   #643
BlueLghtning
Riding is my passion

Oddometer: 4,889
Quote:
Originally Posted by rifflebox View Post
One thing I learned is that the Zumo won't feed XM through bluetooth so I had to use the 3.5 mm cable between the SMH mount and the Zumo mount. That somewhat defeats the purpose of getting a Bluetooth device. However, the sound quality is much better than via bluetooth.
All you need to do is pick up a Blue tooth transmitter (A2DP compatible) that plugs into a 3.5mm plug. You plug that into the audio out on your Zumo 550 and you can hear your xm music wirelessly like you want. There are many variations out there, just search ebay.

I have this Scosche one - http://www.scosche.com/consumer-tech/product/539. I paid less then half of retail for it on ebay.

Smugmug Pics - Save $5 <-- Click Here
BlueLghtning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 07:04 PM   #644
Tesla
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueLghtning View Post
All you need to do is pick up a Blue tooth transmitter (A2DP compatible) that plugs into a 3.5mm plug. You plug that into the audio out on your Zumo 550 and you can hear your xm music wirelessly like you want. There are many variations out there, just search ebay.

I have this Scosche one - http://www.scosche.com/consumer-tech/product/539. I paid less then half of retail for it on ebay.
My Jabra 120s is rock solid. Sells for $24.00 on ebay. Cheapest I found for the Scosche was in the mid 40's.
Old 04-10-2011, 10:56 PM   #645
Jimmy the Heater
Tilting the Horizon

Oddometer: 1,856
Quote:
Originally Posted by SwampNut View Post
Look for a diamond shape on the mic near the stem. That should be facing her mouth, not the other side.
Diamond shape was in the right position but I moved the mic up and to the left in the helmet and it seemed to work better. Gonna call that fixed :)

There is some static on the intercom in both helmets but it's pretty minor and can't be heard while on the bike.

Did notice one other lil glitch that others have reported. One speaker audio was dropping in and out when I would do the track forward and back function or pause. The main unit was a little loose on the clamp, wiggled it and that is the source of the dropping out. Removed and reseated and it's better but not perfect like the one on the GF's helmet. Gonna play with it a lil more to see if i can get the unit to sit in it's base a lil tighter but if not will do a return and get it taken care of.

Just for bluetooth silliness I paired the headset to my home computer. I can now take Skype calls and watch netflix movies with the audio going to my helmet! Totally pointless and useless but fun!
Jimmy the Heater is offline   Reply With Quote