User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-24-2011, 06:14 AM   #721
JRWooden
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,110
Random note on charging...

While packing for a trip this morning I notices that the wall charger for the Sena is rated at 5V @ 1amp, but is significantly larger than my little white iPhone charger - also rated for 5V @ 1amp.

I know the Sena has to be bigger to allow for the multi-voltage adapters, but its staying in the garage
JRWooden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 07:38 AM   #722
eddie98
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 626
I will play with the volume today.
06 DL 650(gone) , 89 KLR 650(gone)
eddie98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 07:41 AM   #723
marco polo
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 630
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDLuke View Post
Regarding VOX: Mine got activated accidentally a few weeks back. I didn't realize this immediately though, and was very confused as to why I got occasional odd sounds in my headset. It was only after a couple of days that I realized that every time I made a loud sound the headset was going 'live'. I verified this by basically barking into the microphone.

I used to use an Autocom, and found that VOX is best used by making an introductory cough or something before starting to speak. It's not perfect in a noisy environment like a motorcycle helmet on the highway, but it can be made to work.

I think this aspect of VOX is why pilots always say "Aaaah, this is your captain speaking" and "Aaaaah, we're flying at 30,000 feet" and "Aaaaah, we're all going to die".
I've got an Autocom system installed on my bike and the VOX performs flawlessly. Its performance makes the Sena VOX look even worse by comparison. For us (my wife and I), the only practical way to use the Sena as an intercom is to either leave it on constantly (not sure how long the battery charge will last this way, and I get a constant "noise" in my earbuds because the mic is constantly open), or to turn it on and off whenever we want to talk. The drawback to that method is that it takes several seconds to connect, so it's useless if one person wants to warn the other about something, like a road hazard, very quickly.

having both, the only advantage to the Sena I've found is the convenience of no wires, some of which is negated by the fact you have to charge the units and carry the charger on road trips.
marco polo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 08:25 AM   #724
Simplyred
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by marco polo View Post
I've got an Autocom system installed on my bike and the VOX performs flawlessly. Its performance makes the Sena VOX look even worse by comparison. For us (my wife and I), the only practical way to use the Sena as an intercom is to either leave it on constantly (not sure how long the battery charge will last this way, and I get a constant "noise" in my earbuds because the mic is constantly open), or to turn it on and off whenever we want to talk. The drawback to that method is that it takes several seconds to connect, so it's useless if one person wants to warn the other about something, like a road hazard, very quickly.

having both, the only advantage to the Sena I've found is the convenience of no wires, some of which is negated by the fact you have to charge the units and carry the charger on road trips.
I guess this is true.
Marketing wishes us to believe that "wired equipment" is no longer of this era. The truth is, that they just wish us to purchase their products and ensure their ability to drive Porsches.

What is positive and negative about any product or felt as such by us as we know is heavily affected by marketing.

I wished there was an objective comparison somewhere out there which truly objectively compared all products available today for motorcycle communication. Including the Autocom and Baehr products and anything else.

We are led to believe, that anything without wires is easy to use.
Well, daily practice proves rather otherwise! I would almost say: quite on the contrary. Constantly traveling around with USB cables and power plugs is also quite a hassle. And in the end it is the most important that something effectively works. Wireless or not. Bluetooth or not.

At this point in time, the bluetooth solutions are all immature and far from perfect. And those who purchase them now all are contributing to developing them further on the road to perfection (which is still quite a long way to go I guess) without getting what they pay for now.

I too decided for the bluetooth "Ease of Use" (which in the end turned out to be an annoying frustrating use) whilst an autocom module might very well have been a far better working solution.... who knows?
Simplyred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 07:59 PM   #725
eddie98
Studly Adventurer

So my issue is that when I hit the phone button and the voice says "please say your command" I can't hear that. Once the connection is made and it starts ringing the volume is fine and loud
Old 05-25-2011, 08:15 AM   #726
RocketMoto
2 Many Motersikles

Oddometer: 908
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simplyred View Post
I guess this is true.
Marketing wishes us to believe that "wired equipment" is no longer of this era. The truth is, that they just wish us to purchase their products and ensure their ability to drive Porsches.

What is positive and negative about any product or felt as such by us as we know is heavily affected by marketing.

I wished there was an objective comparison somewhere out there which truly objectively compared all products available today for motorcycle communication. Including the Autocom and Baehr products and anything else.

We are led to believe, that anything without wires is easy to use.
Well, daily practice proves rather otherwise! I would almost say: quite on the contrary. Constantly traveling around with USB cables and power plugs is also quite a hassle. And in the end it is the most important that something effectively works. Wireless or not. Bluetooth or not.

At this point in time, the bluetooth solutions are all immature and far from perfect. And those who purchase them now all are contributing to developing them further on the road to perfection (which is still quite a long way to go I guess) without getting what they pay for now.

I too decided for the bluetooth "Ease of Use" (which in the end turned out to be an annoying frustrating use) whilst an autocom module might very well have been a far better working solution.... who knows?
Simplyred:

You're spot-on here. Bluetooth has its challenges and the technology is still evolving. Its far from 'plug-and-play'. For many a BT headset 'just the ticket'.

Depending on someone's expectations, a wired system - like Autocom - may be the best option, or if their requirements are basic, a Bluetooth system may be a good choice. We offer both. We're Autocom's highest volume, and probably most experienced dealer, in the US. We also sell oodles of Sena headsets. We can help demystify the complexities of a comm system and assist a rider to settle on a solution that meets or exceeds their expectations, and fits a rider's budget.

On a side note, I believe that Manfred Baehr, originator of the communications system that bears his namesake, is the new Autocom distributor in Germany.
Autocom | TPX Radar/Laser | Sena Bluetooth
| Hi-Power LED Lights
Shorai Battery | Techmount | Powerlet | Rowe PDM60 | Skene Design

RocketMoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 10:00 AM   #727
eddie98
Studly Adventurer

Adam, I called and left a message with the lady about my issue.
Old 05-25-2011, 10:53 AM   #728
worwig
Lost in Georgia

Oddometer: 924
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie98 View Post
So my issue is that when I hit the phone button and the voice says "please say your command" I can't hear that. Once the connection is made and it starts ringing the volume is fine and loud
My Android is about the same. the 'say a command' instruct can barely be heard. But I don't use the function anyway, because the wind noise makes the commands worthless.
Old 05-25-2011, 11:02 AM   #729
worwig
Lost in Georgia

Oddometer: 924
Quote:
For me, the Autocom volume was WAY too low, with earplugs in.
That made it a total failure for me.
The Autocom logic, switching from device to device and the vox, worked fine. But it was of no value since the volume was so low.
I even opened up mine and bumped up the gain on the final audio driver. Replaced a few surface mount parts. But it was still too low. The audio driver had plenty of overhead. It was just that the circuitry cut down the audio level too much in the mixer circuits to get anything to the amplifier.
And yes, I even had the speakers painfully pressing against my ears.

The Sena with the speakers placed properly is SO much louder, that it actually works for me. The vox delay and needing chargers is a small price for me to pay.

BTW, we just got back from a four day trip, mainly just using the intercom on VOX. We never had to charge then the entire four days.
Old 05-25-2011, 12:52 PM   #730
TommyHolly
Teaparty member

Oddometer: 215
Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketMoto View Post
Simplyred:

You're spot-on here. Bluetooth has its challenges and the technology is still evolving. Its far from 'plug-and-play'. For many a BT headset 'just the ticket'.

Depending on someone's expectations, a wired system - like Autocom - may be the best option, or if their requirements are basic, a Bluetooth system may be a good choice. We offer both. We're Autocom's highest volume, and probably most experienced dealer, in the US. We also sell oodles of Sena headsets. We can help demystify the complexities of a comm system and assist a rider to settle on a solution that meets or exceeds their expectations, and fits a rider's budget.

On a side note, I believe that Manfred Baehr, originator of the communications system that bears his namesake, is the new Autocom distributor in Germany.
I'm looking forward for the day that Bluetooth can simultaneously link up to at least 5 devices cause right now you are lucky to get 2. (Example: 4 riders could hear a Garmin GPS while all listening to an iPod linked to the Garmin...)

By the way, Rocketmoto, thanks for the great deal on the Sena. I told 3 of my friends to sign up to the forums here to talk to you so they can buy it too. I walked in the door of my local BMW dealership with the Sena SMH-10 and so many customers were asking me about it, they are gonna start carrying it now too, LOL!

"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion but not his own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan
TommyHolly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 04:10 PM   #731
eddie98
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by worwig View Post
My Android is about the same. the 'say a command' instruct can barely be heard. But I don't use the function anyway, because the wind noise makes the commands worthless.
So you think is the phone? I have a Droid X. I put all volumes up and still way to low.

Wind noise you say? you mean the VOX activates with very little wind noise? My girlfriend just came and told me about that. She couldn't listen to the Ipod because the VOX kept activating.
Old 05-26-2011, 06:46 AM   #732
WoodButcher
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,961
Quote:
So you think is the phone? I have a Droid X. I put all volumes up and still way to low.

Wind noise you say? you mean the VOX activates with very little wind noise? My girlfriend just came and told me about that. She couldn't listen to the Ipod because the VOX kept activating.
I have an android phone. I have the volume on it maxed, and the music volume max. On the Sena, when I turn it on and it gives me the beep that says it connected to the phone I spin the jog dial so the volume is maxed out and it beeps to tell me it is. That's the voice volume since music isn't playing. Then I can start the music and and spin the jog button to max that out the same way. I have no problem hearing voice prompts from the phone or hearing music when I do it this way. That is with ear plugs in. If I don't have them in it deafens me and I have to turn stuff down. Just make sure the voice and music volume are up on the Sena.

I have a second helmet and I haven't placed the speakers as well and the volume doesn't seem as loud so I need to align those speakers with my ears better sometime.

2009 BMW R1200GS Adventure
1999 DR650
WoodButcher is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2011, 11:43 PM   #733
Propfrwrd
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 513
Quote:
Sena should have clearly marked the Customs Declaration, "Warranty Replacement". That should have allowed your replacement units to come in without tax (you say duty in your post, but motorcycle intercoms should be duty free; sure you don't mean you were charged tax, and not duty).
Sounds like an arbitrary UPS BS "brokerage fee" to me.
Old 05-30-2011, 12:03 AM   #734
Propfrwrd
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 513
Quote:

A bit off topic, but Install:

http://www.appbrain.com/app/superuse...fou.android.su

Then:

https://market.android.com/details?i...ntrolappdonate

to optimize the juice in your droid.

I also highly recommend:

-iSynchr (to pull all of your iTunes into your droid with iTunes tags) and
- PowerAmp which are also available in the Market.

Completely changed the nature of my Captivate, making it sound and function better than my iPod touch.
Old 05-30-2011, 02:24 AM   #735
cognosticator
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 694
Quote:
I can hear my girlfriend just fine over the VOX just fine when I can get her. I tried both voice activated and tapping the jog dial and I can’t get her to answer.
When trying to make a phone call, I can barely hear the “please say your command” all volumes on my phone are all the way up also.
What I have read is the Sena remembers volume levels for different applications, so If you have it at max for the mp3, then make a phone call, you will need to adjust the volume up for that app, then go to intercom you may need to turn it up for that. Then in the future when you change app usage it should remember the volume level for that application.
Man, you were haulin' ass the other day when I passed you
cognosticator is offline   Reply With Quote