Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-03-2011, 01:36 PM   #751
Simplyred
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 560
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyclebot View Post
I was referring to the fact that until there is new software the is not a whole lot of difference between the models, since all things are still the same aside from the shape of the port.

If you watch our youtube video you will see that the Cardo managed only ~1500 feet in our test, so the range is not as far as you would think, if fact, the sound quality was degraded over a range of just 1100 feet, nowhere near the mile Cardo advertises, of course this was in an urban setting.

Here is the link for reference.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=649720
I am not sure what you are trying to prove here, since:

Quote:
Our findings indicated that the maximum usable range of the Scala Rider G4 was around 1500 feet, and the Sena SMH10 was 1000 feet.
rather proves what I said, which is, that the Cardo manages at least half the range more then the Sena, which IS obviously a big issue.

The USB option includes the possibility for future updates. Which may not bring a difference right now as you see it, but it CAN (and will!) be marketed with that feature RIGHT NOW and not only if an update defacto is available. So it is in quite a big issue in the race for the customer as of now. Although I see your point and know how you meant it!
Simplyred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 02:19 PM   #752
BlueLghtning
Riding is my passion

Oddometer: 4,890
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simplyred View Post
So you then would end up with one item that has the new update feature, and one item that has not. With the possible result that after a series of updates things have changed in such a way that the both of them are not compatible anymore. I wouldn't do it! I would either try to trade the one older item in with the reseller or sell it elsewhere and buy two new updatable ones.
Sena would be shooting themselves in the foot if they ever updated the newer headsets in such a way they wouldn't be backwards compatible with the original non-upgradable headsets when they look identical.

I would really be surprised too if any type of update actually changed the BT profile that the Sena headsets used to talk to each other, so I really don't think that should ever be an issue. Now of course the newer headsets with the USB port are obviously going to be able to have firmware updates, but that shouldn't ever keep them from communicating with an older headset.

Even Cardio went as far to make their G4's backwards compatible with the Q2's even though they are totally different headsets.
Smugmug Pics - Save $5 <-- Click Here
BlueLghtning is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 10:18 AM   #753
cyclebot
Adventurer

Oddometer: 44
Thumb Everything is still compatible.

The Sena models use the same Bluetooth chipset, so they will be totally backwards compatible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueLghtning View Post
Sena would be shooting themselves in the foot if they ever updated the newer headsets in such a way they wouldn't be backwards compatible with the original non-upgradable headsets when they look identical.

I would really be surprised too if any type of update actually changed the BT profile that the Sena headsets used to talk to each other, so I really don't think that should ever be an issue. Now of course the newer headsets with the USB port are obviously going to be able to have firmware updates, but that shouldn't ever keep them from communicating with an older headset.

Even Cardio went as far to make their G4's backwards compatible with the Q2's even though they are totally different headsets.
cyclebot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 07:11 PM   #754
eddie98
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 632
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lartech View Post
Unless your hell bent on bluetooth perfection, the current model is a great headset. I wouldn't hesitate to purchase again. I've owned my dual set for a year. Battery life is unreal. I keep the intercom on all the time except for hi speed. My GF has her own bike and we've listen to music when not chatting. The batteries have lasted 20 hrs before recharge. They've made our journeys much more enjoyable. They've been in all kinds of weather, including snow and down pouring rain, without a hitch. Great product.

As of right now my girlfriend and I are not really happy with them. Out of the box one headset is not communicating with the other. Now I have to send back the whole package for warranty all the way to the West Coast and who knows when I will get another set back.
Ours don't last that long, This weekend we went riding, we had them charged fully on Thrs night. She used hers on Fri for a couple of hours and I didn't. I started to use mine Friday after work when we left town. Mine died about 5pm Sat a after riding from 8:30am hers lasted 3 more hrs.

Also we have issued with making phone calls. The "please say your command" voice can't be heard if you are moving at all. We have Droid X and Samsung Galaxy for phones.
06 DL 650(gone) , 89 KLR 650(gone)
eddie98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 07:19 PM   #755
Propfrwrd
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 513
That is a common problem with droid phones right now, not necessarily the Sena. Try and voice dial with a different bt device, away from the phone so that its mic doesn't pick it up.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I896 using Tapatalk
Old 06-07-2011, 09:15 AM   #756
RocketMoto
2 Many Motersikles

Oddometer: 924
Eh?

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie98 View Post
As of right now my girlfriend and I are not really happy with them. Out of the box one headset is not communicating with the other. Now I have to send back the whole package for warranty all the way to the West Coast and who knows when I will get another set back.
Ours don't last that long, This weekend we went riding, we had them charged fully on Thrs night. She used hers on Fri for a couple of hours and I didn't. I started to use mine Friday after work when we left town. Mine died about 5pm Sat a after riding from 8:30am hers lasted 3 more hrs.

Also we have issued with making phone calls. The "please say your command" voice can't be heard if you are moving at all. We have Droid X and Samsung Galaxy for phones.
We've been working with Eddie to sort it out, but the issues do seem out of the norm.

Sena wants its resellers to refer consumers directly to Sena support for all in-warranty assistance. We're always available to help to troubleshoot the issue, and most often we can sort out the difficulty by email, phone or video chat.

Early on in the Sena gig, we'd make any exchanges and take care of the warranty from our side. Sena changed their policy last summer, and really pushed us to abide by it, even though it was not our preference.

If Sena doesn't resolve the issue pronto, we'll make the exchange.
Autocom | TPX Radar/Laser | Sena Bluetooth
| Hi-Power LED Lights
Shorai Battery | Techmount | Powerlet | Rowe PDM60 | Skene Design

RocketMoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 11:11 AM   #757
Simplyred
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 560
Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketMoto View Post
We've been working with Eddie to sort it out, but the issues do seem out of the norm.

Sena wants its resellers to refer consumers directly to Sena support for all in-warranty assistance. We're always available to help to troubleshoot the issue, and most often we can sort out the difficulty by email, phone or video chat.

Early on in the Sena gig, we'd make any exchanges and take care of the warranty from our side. Sena changed their policy last summer, and really pushed us to abide by it, even though it was not our preference.

If Sena doesn't resolve the issue pronto, we'll make the exchange.
I must say I have the utmost Respect for your attitude!
Bravo !

Simplyred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 10:36 PM   #758
OldSchool750
Old Rider

Oddometer: 102
I carry a small 12 volt to dual USB adapter that I carry in my tankbag. Using it, I can recharge two devices. I have never had to recharge the SENA on a ride as the device greatly outlasts my riding time ability, but I have had to recharge a CAMOS bluetooth gadget that I use to get stereo audio from my ZUMO 550 to the SENA. Also, I have used it to recharge my cellphone.

Usually by the time I stop somewhere to eat, everything is recharged and for that period of time the bike battery is not discharged a lot.

I have never had success with voice recognition on any phone...or computer. It may have something to do with my hillbilly accent.

I am still extremely happy with the SENA's, but I am curious as to what will be upgradable via the mini USB port.
OldSchool750 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 11:04 PM   #759
Propfrwrd
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldSchool750 View Post

I have never had success with voice recognition on any phone...or computer. It may have something to do with my hillbilly accent.

I am still extremely happy with the SENA's, but I am curious as to what will be upgradable via the mini USB port.
Hawhawhaw!!!!

My bland western Canadian accent (apparently the easiest to understand within the English speaking world). Vlingo directly through the phone works great, as does the Google voice dialer, although I can't get the Sena or any other BT device to BT voice command.

On another note, I broke down and ordered an earbud clamp as the in helmet speakers just aren't cutting it.
Old 06-08-2011, 03:51 AM   #760
sonic578
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 725
I see some of the newer Garmin devices offer voice navigation (speech recognition). I've been wondering if the Sena would be clean enough for that to work?? Not just Bluetooth in general - that should be fine, but all of the road, engine, and wind noise mixed in. Anyone tried this out yet?
Old 06-08-2011, 03:21 PM   #761
Propfrwrd
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonic578 View Post
I see some of the newer Garmin devices offer voice navigation (speech recognition). I've been wondering if the Sena would be clean enough for that to work?? Not just Bluetooth in general - that should be fine, but all of the road, engine, and wind noise mixed in. Anyone tried this out yet?
I've tried mine with the phone nav, and other than the fact that the speakers really aren't all that great, my bike is a bit loud and I get a fair bit of turbulence I can hear nice English lady tell me where to go.
Old 06-08-2011, 03:27 PM   #762
Propfrwrd
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie98 View Post

How Do I Use Voice Dialing On My SGH-i897 (Captivate) Phone When Using A Bluetooth Headset?

Product :Total:Phones & Fax Machines:US Mobile Phones:AT&T 12-04-2011
How to guides

AT&T : How Do I Use Voice Dialing On My SGH-i897 (Captivate) Phone When Using A Bluetooth Headset?

How Do I Use Voice Dialing On My SGH-i897 (Captivate) Phone When Using A Bluetooth Headset?
The SGH-i897 does not include voice dialing software. The Marketplace may contain applications for free or for a small fee that could offer this functionality.
Android 2.2 has limitations regarding the interpertations of sending/receiving of Bluetooth commands from a headset.
This functionality is added with Android 2.2.1

Not much help for Sena or any BT helmet system. When would one expect this to come out?! Which 3rd party app!? How about for other carriers?

Grrrr.....

Old 06-09-2011, 10:23 AM   #763
RocketMoto
2 Many Motersikles

Oddometer: 924
Cry Sena SMH10B issue with HTC Inspire...

I will also post this in our vendor thread, as well. Just a heads-up...

We've had a couple of customers experience an issue with their HTC Inspire Android phones, running the Froyo OS 2.2, connecting to the new SMH10B with the USB port.

The symptom is as follows - you can pair the SMH10B on either the handsfree or A2DP (or both) profile in the phone - but the phone will immediately disconnect. The Bluetooth status screen on the phone indicates 'Paired but not connected'. No amount of fiddling seems to resolve the issue.

One customer's device is an AT&T and the other is US Cellular. I've made Sena support aware of the issue, and they will investigate. If you have one of these phones, I'd suggest holding off purchasing until the issue is resolved, or purchasing the original version of the SMH10, instead, which works fine with the HTC Inspire.

Life on the bleeding edge of Bluetooth ...
Autocom | TPX Radar/Laser | Sena Bluetooth
| Hi-Power LED Lights
Shorai Battery | Techmount | Powerlet | Rowe PDM60 | Skene Design

RocketMoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 10:28 AM   #764
Lujo
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 997
Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketMoto View Post
The symptom is as follows - you can pair the SMH10B on either the handsfree or A2DP (or both) profile in the phone - but the phone will immediately disconnect. The Bluetooth status screen on the phone indicates 'Paired but not connected'. No amount of fiddling seems to resolve the issue.
After first working flawlessly, my older SMH10 at one point started doing this with either my Zumo 665 or my Nexus S. Fortunately, re-pairing fixed it.

Now, our two SMH10s started disconnecting from each other at random. For some reason, they do it *much* more frequently in cities than in rural areas.
Old 06-10-2011, 07:58 AM   #765
NuckaMan
Space Available

Oddometer: 345
I saw a SR10 is coming from the Sena website:

http://senabluetooth.com/products/sr..._menu=overview

So does this mean I can link up to GMRS Chatterboxes using the SR10 and a handheld GMRS radio?

After owning and using my Sena, I refuse to give anymore money to Chatterbox. If the SR10/radio allows me to hook up with Chatterbox using friends, I will be in heaven.

2012 Kawasaki Concours 14

2013 Triumph Bonneville
NuckaMan is offline   Reply With Quote