Go Back   ADVrider > Gear > Equipment
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-26-2011, 04:54 AM   #796
motorjon68
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 416
I bought a Dual set. I can see the bluetooth icon on my phone but can't hear anything! What am I doing wrong?
Old 06-26-2011, 05:46 AM   #797
sonic578
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 726
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1200gsceej View Post
{bump}
Can anyone help me with these items? See original post, below.
1. I'm having a hard time with the boom in the flip-top helmet. Is that just the way it is? Or is there a 'best place' to put the mount on the helmet?
2. Additionally, I cannot get the boom mike oriented as the manual says it should be.
Any help would be appreciated.
-ceej
It may be possible that the boom was not properly oriented when manufactured? It is not difficult to loosen and twist the boom at the base. Peel the rubber pad back to reveal small screws. There's also a strain relief collar that snaps at the boom base where it goes into the housing.
Old 06-26-2011, 09:04 AM   #798
Propfrwrd
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 513
Quote:
Originally Posted by motorjon68 View Post
I bought a Dual set. I can see the bluetooth icon on my phone but can't hear anything! What am I doing wrong?
I hate to point out the obvious, but sometimes you might have to make sure that on your phone the Sean isn't just 'Paired', but 'Connected'- have you checked your phone's BT settings yet? If that isn't the case, reset the phone by taking the battery out, and redo the pairing sequence again.

Also, make sure that the volume on your phone is turned right up first, then use the jog dial on the Sena.
Old 06-26-2011, 09:10 AM   #799
Propfrwrd
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
{bump}
Can anyone help me with these items? See original post, below.
1. I'm having a hard time with the boom in the flip-top helmet. Is that just the way it is? Or is there a 'best place' to put the mount on the helmet?
2. Additionally, I cannot get the boom mike oriented as the manual says it should be.
Any help would be appreciated.
-ceej
That seems odd, as the mic is really flexible... is the unit mounted close enough to your face?
Old 06-26-2011, 09:51 PM   #800
1200gsceej
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,215
That is what I was concerned about - it really looks 180 degrees off. Your comment would seem to indicate that the boom is a "plug in unit" to some kind of socket, and that there are no wires passing through that junction. So I will look under the rubber pad and see if I can loosten the screws and rotate the boom aound its axis.
Thanks!
-ceej

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonic578 View Post
It may be possible that the boom was not properly oriented when manufactured? It is not difficult to loosen and twist the boom at the base. Peel the rubber pad back to reveal small screws. There's also a strain relief collar that snaps at the boom base where it goes into the housing.
No, it is not an issue of being close to my mouth. It is the fact that when the boom is curved in from the side to be positioned in front of my mouth, I am speaking into the back of the mike (the 'fin' side, and not the triangle side). The boom is flexible in 'bend'; it is quite stiff in 'rotate'.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Propfrwrd View Post
That seems odd, as the mic is really flexible... is the unit mounted close enough to your face?
Potential TMI follows:
Mounted the unit on the left side of the helmet (where it goes). Let the boom extend directly forward with no tortional force applied to the boom. My mike is oriented essentially vertically - that is as your hand would be if you held it flat with the thumb up. Looking along the boom from the mount, the 'fin' is on the right and the triangle on the left. Now when I bend the boom to the right (to bring the mike in front of my mount), what is facing my mouth is the 'fin' - the back of the mike. If I try to rotate the mike on the end of the boom, it does not go far enough, and when I let go it rotates back part way anyway.

UPDATE:
See: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showpost.php?p=16553764&postcount=833 for RMA outcome.
And remember: Beauty is in the behind of the holder.

1200gsceej screwed with this post 08-05-2011 at 10:49 PM
1200gsceej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2011, 09:56 PM   #801
Propfrwrd
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
That is what I was concerned about - it really looks 180 degrees off. Your comment would seem to indicate that the boom is a "plug in unit" to some kind of socket, and that there are no wires passing through that junction. So I will look under the rubber pad and see if I can loosten the screws and rotate the boom aound its axis.
Thanks!
-ceej

No, it is not an issue of being close to my mouth. It is the fact that when the boom is curved in from the side to be positioned in front of my mouth, I am speaking into the back of the mike (the 'fin' side, and not the triangle side). The boom is flexible in 'bend'; it is quite stiff in 'rotate'.

Potential TMI follows:
Mounted the unit on the left side of the helmet (where it goes). Let the boom extend directly forward with no tortional force applied to the boom. My mike is oriented essentially vertically - that is as your hand would be if you held it flat with the thumb up. Looking along the boom from the mount, the 'fin' is on the right and the triangle on the left. Now when I bend the boom to the right (to bring the mike in front of my mount), what is facing my mouth is the 'fin' - the back of the mike. If I try to rotate the mike on the end of the boom, it does not go far enough, and when I let go it rotates back part way anyway.
Weird... I have both the earbud and speaker mount units and the mic is quite flexible, and i can twist it no problem.

The only thing I could imagine is that the mounting base is too close to your ear but should be closer your chin, so that the arm has enough play to be flexible.
Old 06-27-2011, 10:17 PM   #802
RocketMoto
2 Many Motersikles

Oddometer: 908
Quote:
Originally Posted by Propfrwrd View Post
Weird... I have both the earbud and speaker mount units and the mic is quite flexible, and i can twist it no problem.

The only thing I could imagine is that the mounting base is too close to your ear but should be closer your chin, so that the arm has enough play to be flexible.
It doesn't sound like you're using one of the accessory clamp kits like the A0302 or A0304. These have a mic that is best suited for modular helmet use.

Because of where the flip and stationary sections come together on the Nolan, you're likely to have a challenge mounting the clamp in a place where the attached boom mic will reach your mouth correctly. The above clamps have a boom mike at affixes to the inner shell of the helmet, and that would be much better.

Talking into the 'fin' side of the mic isn't going to be optimal, either.
Autocom | TPX Radar/Laser | Sena Bluetooth
| Hi-Power LED Lights
Shorai Battery | Techmount | Powerlet | Rowe PDM60 | Skene Design

RocketMoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 09:31 PM   #803
1200gsceej
Beastly Adventurer

I can see how the A302 might work better for the Nolan.
In the meantime I am going to try sonic578's suggestion to see if I can rotate the boom in its socket. As I said before, it is not the flexibility of the boom to bend, it is its stiffnes in twist/rotate that is my problem.
-ceej

Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketMoto View Post
It doesn't sound like you're using one of the accessory clamp kits like the A0302 or A0304. These have a mic that is best suited for modular helmet use.

Because of where the flip and stationary sections come together on the Nolan, you're likely to have a challenge mounting the clamp in a place where the attached boom mic will reach your mouth correctly. The above clamps have a boom mike at affixes to the inner shell of the helmet, and that would be much better.

Talking into the 'fin' side of the mic isn't going to be optimal, either.

1200gsceej screwed with this post 06-28-2011 at 09:36 PM
Old 07-09-2011, 08:12 AM   #804
deeve
DumbA$$

Oddometer: 979
MP3 Sound level is much lower phone sound level

Hello, I have the SMH10 paired to an iphone 4 installed in a Shoei Qwest and ride a R1200 Adventure. My problem is that the volume level of MP3's is much lower then the phone level. I like to listen to podcasts and even with the volume all the way up on both the phone and the Sena it still is too low sometimes on the highway. Music is ok. When a call comes in, however, it is so loud it blows my eardrums out and I have to turn it down.

Any thoughts on that?

Thanks!
DAVE
He bought this bike with his own money as a "fixer upper" that he can ride and learn to wrench on. Part of owning is he will buy parts and wrench on it himself. We are going through it together and having fun! I am very proud of the young man he is becoming.
deeve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 10:24 AM   #805
Sit
Thread Killer

Oddometer: 638
Quote:
Originally Posted by deeve View Post
Hello, I have the SMH10 paired to an iphone 4 installed in a Shoei Qwest and ride a R1200 Adventure. My problem is that the volume level of MP3's is much lower then the phone level. I like to listen to podcasts and even with the volume all the way up on both the phone and the Sena it still is too low sometimes on the highway. Music is ok. When a call comes in, however, it is so loud it blows my eardrums out and I have to turn it down.

Any thoughts on that?

Thanks!
DAVE
Check your iphone to make sure the volume safety is turned off. That may help. Also, the volume between the phone and then music is supposed to be independant, so what you set the phone at is not what the music will play at etc. At least that is how the original sets worked. I just got my new units, the ones that can be upgraded and they are having problems, seems a lot of people are.
13 Patrol
Sit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 10:34 AM   #806
JRWooden
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,111
Phone volume and music volume are set separately -- as Sit noted.

I had the problem with some podcasts being to low in volume as well. I was able to make things much better by turning on the "sound check" in iTunes (Options --> Playback --> checkbox for "Sound Check") and also turning it on on my iPhone 3Gs. Still some of them are not loud enough, I think that this program would fix it, but I have not had time to mess with it:

http://www.mani.de/en/ivolume/index.html
JRWooden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 01:43 PM   #807
1200gsceej
Beastly Adventurer

Question Can't get boom off

There is no rubber boot at the base of the boom. There is a hard plastic 3/4 inch long strain relief (I guess) at the junction of the boom and the mount. I can twist it - but doing so only rotates it arount the boom - it has no effect on the boom.
Can you explain what you meant?
-ceej

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonic578 View Post
Old 07-11-2011, 05:52 PM   #808
sonic578
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 726
Quote:
There is no rubber boot at the base of the boom. There is a hard plastic 3/4 inch long strain relief (I guess) at the junction of the boom and the mount. I can twist it - but doing so only rotates it arount the boom - it has no effect on the boom.
Can you explain what you meant?
-ceej
(edited with new pic below)

Correct, the strain relief is hard plastic. When I said "rubber pad" I was referring to the pad that mates to the helmet surface, under which are the screws holding the housing halves together.

But, it may be possible to adjust the boom position without removing the rubber pad and screws. First, pry the hard plastic strain relief away from the base unit and slide it down the boom (see photo below - screwdriver blade used to pry). At this point you can try to rotate the boom a bit and replace the strain relief. If the boom is still too tight to rotate, then the pad will have to be removed, revealing small screws. Back those out and separate the housing halves.

(sorry for confusion. hope this helps.)

sonic578 screwed with this post 07-11-2011 at 09:29 PM
sonic578 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 06:23 PM   #809
twinrider
pass the catnip

Oddometer: 8,963
Routing a call to headset or handset android app?

When my SMH10 is paired up with my HTC Evo, all incoming and outgoing calls are automatically routed through the headset. Good when I'm riding, bad when I'm trying to recieve/make a call off the bike.

Does anyone know of an android app that will allow me to choose whether to route the call to my headset or handset, or automatically do that depending one which device I use to make or receive the call?
twinrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 07:09 PM   #810
PhotoBiker
Please insert title here

Oddometer: 1,436
Wow,

I'm glad I checked in on this thread to find out about the upgrade option.

I truly love my Sena as a Solo rig (I commute every day on the bike). So much that when I take a short trip and go "Sans Earbuds", I am not all that happy with the bike and road sounds now ;-)

I did have a problem, at the beginning of a 4 day trip to Nova Scotia with my earbud unit, the little jack boom snapped off, rending the unit pretty much useless for the 2100 mile trip. I did get a replacement after forwarding them a copy of the receipt.

I will find out about the Sena's 2-up capabilities this weekend and next weekend as I have two back to back 4 day tours with each of my daughters. Once back to Nova Scotia, and the other to Quebec. Trial by fire on those trips. I still have my Autocomm setup, just in case.
'06 Ninja 250
Check out my Gallery
PhotoBiker is offline   Reply With Quote