User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-28-2011, 06:28 PM   #916
Dagwood_55
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,270
And another question, (if anyone knows):

From reading this post, I understand the VOX just plain does not work for 2up riding with my wife, so the work-around is to leave the mic open all the time, which is what we now do with our Scala Q2's. Which is fine for us, we don't talk much at home, but chatter almost the whole time riding.

But if you leave the mic's open, and then use the PTT switch to talk to another rider in the group with a 2 way radio and the SR10. What happens with the open mic?? Does the PTT/radio over-ride the rider/passenger BT open mic?? And does it come back after the PTT transmision??

I'll call Moto Rocket tomorrow.....see what they say.
Old 08-29-2011, 07:07 PM   #917
RocketMoto
2 Many Motersikles

Oddometer: 877
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dagwood_55 View Post

From reading this post, I understand the VOX just plain does not work for 2up riding with my wife, so the work-around is to leave the mic open all the time, which is what we now do with our Scala Q2's. Which is fine for us, we don't talk much at home, but chatter almost the whole time riding.

But if you leave the mic's open, and then use the PTT switch to talk to another rider in the group with a 2 way radio and the SR10. What happens with the open mic?? Does the PTT/radio over-ride the rider/passenger BT open mic?? And does it come back after the PTT transmision??

We say - it'll be terrific to actually get these in hand so we can see how they work.
Autocom | Clearwater Lights | Sena Bluetooth
| Scala Rider
Shorai Battery | Techmount | Powerlet | Rowe PDM60 | Skene Design

RocketMoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 04:02 AM   #918
PhotoBiker
Please insert title here

Oddometer: 1,436
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dagwood_55 View Post

That is a good point. With my Autocom and my Kenwood, I could reliably use Vox on 2M and not hog the repeaters. I have a feeling that I'd have to use the PTT with the Sena.
'06 Ninja 250
Check out my Gallery
PhotoBiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 06:07 PM   #919
FireDog45
Mid-life crisis sufferer

Oddometer: 472
Just received mine and got my iPod touch to connect with no problems. However, my Palm Centro will only momentarily connect. I went back through the set up, they see each other and the SMH shows up in the trusted devices list but I can't get them to connect, either automatically or manually.

Any suggestions?

(I have an email heading to Sena with this question but thought someone here may already have the answer.)
FireDog45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 08:46 PM   #920
OldSchool750
Old Rider

Oddometer: 102
My last cellphone was a Palm Centro. It always had problems pairing with my Zumo even with the latest software from Sprint. I never paired it with the Sena, but I suspect your problem is in the Centro...not the Sena.

Jim
OldSchool750 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 09:05 PM   #921
slowinfastout
6 x 275cc

Oddometer: 1,454
Ive got the SEND SMH10 and don't really care for it. Going to put it on the Flea market shortly if anyone is interested, ping me.

* 2012 BMW K1600GTL
* 2013 Triumph Scrambler
* 1982 Kawasaki GPz 750
slowinfastout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 03:26 AM   #922
FireDog45
Mid-life crisis sufferer

Oddometer: 472
I'm thinking you're probably right. I got the Sena for listening to my iPod, synching the phone was a bonus. I'll be upgrading my phone in the future anyway so it should all be fine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldSchool750 View Post
My last cellphone was a Palm Centro. It always had problems pairing with my Zumo even with the latest software from Sprint. I never paired it with the Sena, but I suspect your problem is in the Centro...not the Sena.

Jim
FireDog45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 03:49 PM   #923
bretedge
Do Epic Shit

Oddometer: 437
Thought I'd share my experience with the Sena SMH10 after two months of use. I use it primarily for listening to music on my iPhone through Bluetooth connection and for making/receiving calls while riding (much less frequent).

First, the good:
- Sound quality is pretty good, though not what I'm used to hearing in my B&O headphones, and volume is PLENTY loud even at highway speeds w/ knobbies making all kinds of noise.
- The jog dial is a genius way to control the device. Super easy to increase/decrease volume, shuffle between songs, pause and replay music. It's big enough to operate easily while wearing gloves. Ergonomics = 10.
- Easy to install and set-up.
- Audio quality on phone calls, on both ends, is top-notch. My wife couldn't even tell that I was riding despite the fact that I was doing about 60 MPH on a paved backroad. Granted, the microphone was inside my helmet which blocked most of the wind noise.
- Reasonably priced.

Now, the bad:
- Three of the connector pins have broken on the main unit, resulting in the loss of stereo sound. Only the left speaker works.
- The speakers have never worked with the cord supplied with the unit.
- After the first use the small, plastic latch on the main unit stopped clipping securely to the helmet mount. The main unit now easily falls off the helmet if bumped.

I've got a warranty case in with Sena now and am hopeful that they'll resolve all of these issues in minimal time with no hassle. I'll report back when I receive their response.
bretedge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 06:07 PM   #924
AMEretired
Adventurer

Oddometer: 68

Here’s a repair scheme for the earbud clamp boom failure for those who might be interested.

Follow these steps to take the unit apart.

Remove the 3 wires. L, R, and shield

Pop the solder off the mounting locations

Donor cable needs to be shielded 2 wire, mine’s from Radio Shack. There is likely better out there but this is what i could find.

The Sena cable did not fully engage, a little trimming was required.

The Radio Shack plug required a little trimming to fit the Sena case. No trimming required to the Sena part. Didn't, but should have used a little silicone under the boom at this stage.

Solder in the new wires.

Reverse the disassembly steps and you are done. If the repair does not stand up i will update the post.

AMEretired is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2011, 05:55 AM   #925
JRWooden
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,996
Firmware update question -- "EDR" ???

So I got my new headset with the USB connection/firmware update feature (got it super fast too ).
I figured I'd install the PC software just to be sure I had the lastest version of firmware from the factory (V3.1).
I do have V3.1 so that's good ...

on the main screen of the program are three settings:

Intercom VOX
Hands Free VOX
EDR

The first two settings I understand ... but what the heck is "EDR" ...

JRWooden screwed with this post 09-04-2011 at 06:02 AM
JRWooden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2011, 07:36 AM   #926
gelandestrasse
Fidem Scit

Oddometer: 20,243
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRWooden View Post
So I got my new headset with the USB connection/firmware update feature (got it super fast too ).
I figured I'd install the PC software just to be sure I had the lastest version of firmware from the factory (V3.1).
I do have V3.1 so that's good ...

on the main screen of the program are three settings:

Intercom VOX
Hands Free VOX
EDR

The first two settings I understand ... but what the heck is "EDR" ...
Enhanced Data Rate.
Old 09-04-2011, 08:41 AM   #927
JRWooden
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by gelandestrasse View Post
Enhanced Data Rate.
Thanks! I guess enhanced is good, so I'll leave it alone....
Now I'm wondering why anyone would want UN-enhanced
Old 09-06-2011, 07:25 PM   #928
JRWooden
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ultrachrome View Post
I see a few Qwest users. Anyone had their mount fail?

I installed one on my wife's Qwest right before our recent trip and it snapped in half on day 9 as I was removing the bluetooth module to charge. With not enough material for the jbweld putty to work on, I was able to duct tape it together.

Personally, I think the helmet mount has inadequate material in that area. The radio module snapped in and out without any undue effort so there was no warning that the mount was under enough pressure that would lead to premature failure.

The mount has held up well on my Arai RX-Q but the difference is that on the RX-Q, the mount only contacts the bottom edge of the helmet. The top of the mount is several mm's away from the helmet. On the Qwest, only the base and the top of the mount are in contact with the helmet.

In the interest of full disclosure, my wife did have a get-off the following day which I detailed in face plant last month. Funny enough, the SMH10 emerged unscathed from that incident, duct tape and all. Unfortunately, her bike didn't and her ride was over.

Excuse the bug guts.

I have the Quest and just experienced the same failure.
I have been very gentle with mine ... since mine is less than 2 years old I just submitted it for warranty replacement.
I'll let you know how I make out. I will also carefully study the profile of the helmet before I install the new unit ... not sure what's going on there ... and have no other unit with which to compare.

I've got a 2000 mile ride coming up in about 9 days or so ... hoping to have it resolved by then.

Jim
Old 09-07-2011, 02:02 AM   #929
radon222
1150GS-ADV

Oddometer: 337
Quote:
I've got a 2000 mile ride coming up in about 9 days or so ... hoping to have it resolved by then.
If you're trying make it for a trip.. do yourself a favor and spend the $40 on a base unit from rocketmoto. You'll get it time for the trip and then you'll have a back up when the warranty replacement gets worked out.
Old 09-07-2011, 05:37 AM   #930
JRWooden
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by radon222 View Post
If you're trying make it for a trip.. do yourself a favor and spend the $40 on a base unit from rocketmoto. You'll get it time for the trip and then you'll have a back up when the warranty replacement gets worked out.
Good advice, thank you.
I'll wait until the west coast wakes up today and unless Sena says "we saw the picture you sent, we're sending you replacement a base unit today ..." I'll be donig just what you said -Rocketmoto is the bomb!

I am wondering if it has something to do with the shell profile of the Qwest... I"m going to stare at the pieces after another cup of coffee; I may shim the unit out farther or ... ???