Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-02-2012, 09:00 PM   #1156
Joker_-_
2002 BMW R1150GSA

Oddometer: 70
Just got them all!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketMoto View Post
Did you purchase these from us? If so, let's talk and we'll do our best to assist. Send us a PM and we'll ring you at our expense.

We have other options, that you can use with the Sena's, or if you are looking for something that will work *flawlessly every time*, we can help there too.
Hey there, first thing I have to say, Adam, IIRC, from RocketMoto did an awesome job selling theses to me and I'm absolutely not being sarcastic. He's been helpfull, listening to my poor engrish and shipped the units asap. They got stuck in the customs for 4 days, and got here in 6 from the date of purchase so, can't ask for any better service than this. I'm from Canada and just so you other fellow out there know, fear not to buy from them, I didn't got scr*wd by the customs.

Now on a sadder note, the product.

As I said, I bought 5 units last week and got em today. I found that there is some clicking/noise when talking either on the phone or using the intercom on the two units I opened, registered and upgraded to firmware 3.3 tonight. EDIT - The noise is not that much of an issue in phone mode. It's present, but at a very low volume. - I used to have Cardo Scalariders and switched for Senas as I read that the sound was louder and better in the Senas. Kinda disapointed in this field, altho sound is very, very powerfull (no bass at all, but ear piercing loud treble). As for the noises, it probably has something to do with the connection (clamp/pins).

Note that struggled about 2 hours to install the clamp on my Shoei RF-1100 helmet. It's almost impossible to seat it correctly; I ended up cutting rubber bands and a leather knife sleeve I had to get the clamp in an acceptable/usable position; other wise it bent too much and it was simply impossible to "click" the smh-10 in. I found that the clamp has serious desing flaws. I don't know about laws regarding this object, but I found that the Scala Rider was seating way more firmly and was easyer to put in/remove, as well as installing. I think Sena should straight up copy it. I am also waiting on next firmware version for the "4 riders conference" mode and would greatly appreciate a way to expend this to more riders. I'm pretty sure there will be a way of doing so quite soon, without the need for hacks like using multiple bluetooth connections but rather use an external "mixer", like the sr-10.

I'm looking forward for an other clamp desing and I'm wondering if you guys have idea on what that click noise might be and of course, how to solve this problem.

I don't know if it's gonna work, but here's a picture of my redneck "quick-fix" for the clamp. I guess you'll understand why I would appreciate a new desing there...

Roads
? Where we're going, we don't need roads.

Joker_-_ screwed with this post 02-04-2012 at 09:29 AM Reason: Added information about noise in phone mode
Joker_-_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 09:54 PM   #1157
Joker_-_
2002 BMW R1150GSA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joker_-_ View Post
Now on a sadder note, the product.
Just wanted to add some positive to my previous post:

1 - I spoke with two friend over the phone for about 20 minutes and sound on the other end was apparently very clear, even more so than when I speak directly trough my Nexus One's mike. On my end, I could still ear the clicks I was talking about before.

2 - The ease of use of theses is incredible. It's got to be taken into consideration; the clamp might need some rethinking, but the sync. function between either my phone or the other smh-10 I tried tonight was flawless. It worked perfectly at first try. My phone being a smartphone, I could control my music straight away and again, it worked flawlessly with the native music app as well as with the other music player I have installed (subsonic - check it out, free and awesome if you have a big music collection at home).

I'll add more as I'll use the other features I'm pretty sure!

Here's the full setup. I tought my previous screen shot wasn't really showing how it was installed:

Roads
Old 02-03-2012, 07:55 PM   #1158
Joker_-_
2002 BMW R1150GSA

Hey again!

Just tried it with 2 other friends. The conference mode works flawlessly, it's very easy to setup and even when you shut down the device and power it back on, it re-connect with every other devices opend. Nothing more to say about this, it just works!

As for the noise, it does the same on each devices, sadly. We agreed that it sounds like "static jolting". Not sure about the term, but let's say it sounds like boiling oil.

They both have Shoei helmets, as well as my other friend who bought the 5th one so we're all looking for a good solution on the clamp thing.

I'll keep checking here every now and then.

Roads
Old 02-04-2012, 05:03 AM   #1159
sonic578
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 726
Quote:
Hey again!

Just tried it with 2 other friends. The conference mode works flawlessly, it's very easy to setup and even when you shut down the device and power it back on, it re-connect with every other devices opend. Nothing more to say about this, it just works!
can you give us a few more details? can you confirm that conf mode is duplex? that is, once you are all 3 linked together, everyone can just talk at once? also, how do you setup the call? is it still the multiple taps? so i hit 2 taps to connect with rider B, then while i am linked with rider B i hit 3 taps to bring in rider C? and how does the conf mode end? does each rider end his own call? one more... if riders A and B are chatting away, is there a way for rider C to initiate the conf mode and insert himself into that conversation? or does he have to be 'invited' by one of the 2 already in the call?

TIA!
Old 02-04-2012, 09:04 AM   #1160
Joker_-_
2002 BMW R1150GSA

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonic578 View Post
can you give us a few more details? can you confirm that conf mode is duplex? that is, once you are all 3 linked together, everyone can just talk at once? also, how do you setup the call? is it still the multiple taps? so i hit 2 taps to connect with rider B, then while i am linked with rider B i hit 3 taps to bring in rider C? and how does the conf mode end? does each rider end his own call? one more... if riders A and B are chatting away, is there a way for rider C to initiate the conf mode and insert himself into that conversation? or does he have to be 'invited' by one of the 2 already in the call?

TIA!
1 - Yes, it is full duplex
2 - We found that the easyest way to start the conference, is to connect A with B, and the C joins the group by either pushing once or twice on the jog dial. Takes a few seconds, your phone will be disconnected from the smh-10, and C will join in.
3 - To end the conference, you just do as usual (tapping the jog). The other two will stay in communication, and all the phones (or other devices I guess) will get reconnected to the smh-10.
4 - Yes, you can join the conference at any time.

Just for fun, we tried to make the biggest conference we could trough phone. We got 6 people to chat simultaneously that way, and we could have added a lot more if needed. You got toi have this feature with your phone/carrier. It was kind of hard to follow and the sound quality is a bit lower in phone mode, but it's fun to know we can do that, if needed.

We tryed the range around here aswell. Not very impressed with it. Of course, it might be the "obstacle" that cut out the signal, and theres probably a lot of interferences, but as you go further from each other, the clicking/oil boilling sound gets louder and louder, untill you can barely ear anything. If it was at nearly 500m, I would find this perfectly acceptable, but it's more somewhere around 20 meters, indoors. Again, it could be the walls and interferences, so take this tests with a grain of salt. Theres too much snow to go out and try em in "real world situation" right now, and besides it's illegal till mid-mars. We might give it a shot outdoors in a street to test em again soon and I'll post the results here.

Still waiting on a reply from anyone concerning the clamp and this background noise. I might try and give Adam a call during next week if he doesn't come by here till then and I'll post any news on the subject.

Hope it helps!

Roads
Old 02-04-2012, 09:40 AM   #1161
sonic578
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 726
Quote:
Hope it helps!
Yes, it does. Many thanks!
Old 02-04-2012, 11:38 AM   #1162
UltraPhil
n00b

Oddometer: 4
Right now, Sena says their current SMH10 firmware (3.#) is Bluetooth 2.1+EDR compliant.

But still, the website PDF datasheet already boasts the next firmware Bluetooth specifications v3.0 and 4-way conference intercom with multipoint for devices (phone + GPS). Which means that they still can/will improve their Bluetooth stack over the time.

As for the sound quality (static, jolting, cracks, oil boiling):
Sena advert the following specs:
  • Bluetooth profiles:
    • Headset Profile
    • Hand-Free Profile (HFP)
    • Advanced Audio Distribution Profile (A2DP)
    • Audio Video Remote Control Profile (AVRCP)
  • Built-in SBC Codec
    • noise cancellation
    • wind noise reduction
    • wide volume control
    • sample rate: 48kHz (DAC)
But there is no mention whatsoever if built-in means it is in the Bluetooth stack or on a dedicated chip, and alas, no mention on the quality mode(s) of the codec.

So I believe that if the RF link or any other component of the SMH10 isn't the cause of the static, the (inferred) low quality mode of the audio codec combined with the other features (noise cancellation, etc) might lead to strange audio artifacts?

As far as I know about the Sena (hard|soft)ware (which is not much), it seems at first glance that they could probably provide a better audio quality with the new firmware. Maybe not, but we'll know for sure when we try it (hopefully soon!).
UltraPhil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 12:18 PM   #1163
TowPro
Healing time Sucks

Oddometer: 2,745
I also noticed a new product called the SMH5, which supports the Bluetooth 3 standard.
My first thought was "oh no, I bought another product just before it's better replacement came out."

Lets hope this is not true, and the SMH10 can be upgraded to Bluetooth 3, if it is indeed better.
Old 02-04-2012, 02:00 PM   #1164
Joker_-_
2002 BMW R1150GSA

Quote:
Originally Posted by towpro View Post
I also noticed a new product called the SMH5, which supports the Bluetooth 3 standard.
My first thought was "oh no, I bought another product just before it's better replacement came out."

Lets hope this is not true, and the SMH10 can be upgraded to Bluetooth 3, if it is indeed better.
Yeah, I saw that too. Then took a look at the range. My guess is that it's a cheaper iteration of the shm-10, but with a newer software.

Roads
Old 02-05-2012, 06:07 PM   #1165
FrankoQ
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 177
Quote:

Note that struggled about 2 hours to install the clamp on my Shoei RF-1100 helmet. It's almost impossible to seat it correctly; I ended up cutting rubber bands and a leather knife sleeve I had to get the clamp in an acceptable/usable position; other wise it bent too much and it was simply impossible to "click" the smh-10 in. I found that the clamp has serious desing flaws. I don't know about laws regarding this object, but I found that the Scala Rider was seating way more firmly and was easyer to put in/remove, as well as installing. why I would appreciate a new desing there...
Not sure what your problem is with the clamp. It took me less than 5 minutes to install the unit on my RF-1100.
It is pretty solid in place. some pics to illustrate...

FrankoQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 06:21 AM   #1166
Joker_-_
2002 BMW R1150GSA

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankoQ View Post
Not sure what your problem is with the clamp. It took me less than 5 minutes to install the unit on my RF-1100.
It is pretty solid in place. some pics to illustrate...
It's the gap between the helmet and the clamp. None of your pics are showing the angle where the gap is! Because of the physical configuration of the helmet (for aerodynamics and/or look I guess), the helmet has a concave curve outside, and the clamp has a convex curve for "round" helmets (like my girlfriend's, which fits perfectly). This creates a gap, and causing the clamp to be retained only by the very bottom and the extreme top, nothing in between. Besides, the RF-1100 has a rubber base wich is larger and accentuate the problem.

I'll take a few more pics to show you better when I get back home. Meanwhile, if yours fits in place perfectly, share your wisdom!

[EDIT]: Haha! Nice motto!

Roads

Joker_-_ screwed with this post 02-06-2012 at 06:29 AM
Old 02-06-2012, 07:24 AM   #1167
Blobby
n00b

Oddometer: 5
Quote:
It's the gap between the helmet and the clamp. None of your pics are showing the angle where the gap is! Because of the physical configuration of the helmet (for aerodynamics and/or look I guess), the helmet has a concave curve outside, and the clamp has a convex curve for "round" helmets (like my girlfriend's, which fits perfectly). This creates a gap, and causing the clamp to be retained only by the very bottom and the extreme top, nothing in between. Besides, the RF-1100 has a rubber base wich is larger and accentuate the problem.

I'll take a few more pics to show you better when I get back home. Meanwhile, if yours fits in place perfectly, share your wisdom!

[EDIT]: Haha! Nice motto!
I have/had the same problem with Sena and RF-1100. I almost sorted it by putting several strips of black masking tap onto the black rim of the helmet at the base, right where the clamp fits. I've then only done the clamp up until it's secure, not until it super tight. Clipping the bluetooth thing in is still not perfect, but it now works ok and in honesty, once it's clipped in you rarely need to remove it as it can be charged in situ anyway.
Blobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 07:58 AM   #1168
Joker_-_
2002 BMW R1150GSA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blobby View Post
I have/had the same problem with Sena and RF-1100. I almost sorted it by putting several strips of black masking tap onto the black rim of the helmet at the base, right where the clamp fits. I've then only done the clamp up until it's secure, not until it super tight. Clipping the bluetooth thing in is still not perfect, but it now works ok and in honesty, once it's clipped in you rarely need to remove it as it can be charged in situ anyway.
True. I tryed it that way as well. I just tought it wasn't secure enought (it had some travel if you tryed to move it) and it was tricky to remove, like you said. It might be an acceptable "work around" for many, but I'd like to have a nice fitting clamp that works as it should.

On the other hand, we will definitly find a solution sooner or later. I'll probably end up cutting a piece of rubber of the size and shape of the gap from a hockey puck or something like that. I'll keep you posted on this.

What about the oil boiling noise? Anyone else ears that too or is it just us?

Roads
Old 02-06-2012, 09:06 AM   #1169
enduro0125
Sticks and Stones™..

Oddometer: 12,924
Would taking the rubber piece off the mount help?

I pulled mine off to help it seat better on my X-D3
Old 02-06-2012, 09:44 AM   #1170
Joker_-_
2002 BMW R1150GSA

Quote:
Originally Posted by enduro0125 View Post
Would taking the rubber piece off the mount help?

I pulled mine off to help it seat better on my X-D3
Yes, I tought about that aswell as cutting a bit in my helmet's rubber. The piece of rubber on the clamp has a depth of about 1/8" and the gap is somewhere near 1/4" so cutting the rubber on the clamp won'T fix the problem, but might help a little. Cutting in the helmet's rubber would help aswell, but I don't want to cut my precious helmet!

Thanks for the input but so far my best bet is to fill the gap with something rather than cutting, untill we ear from a seller if an other solution could be implemented/provided.

Roads