Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-06-2012, 01:05 PM   #1171
stoder
n00b

Oddometer: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joker_-_ View Post
True. I tryed it that way as well. I just tought it wasn't secure enought (it had some travel if you tryed to move it) and it was tricky to remove, like you said. It might be an acceptable "work around" for many, but I'd like to have a nice fitting clamp that works as it should.

On the other hand, we will definitly find a solution sooner or later. I'll probably end up cutting a piece of rubber of the size and shape of the gap from a hockey puck or something like that. I'll keep you posted on this.

What about the oil boiling noise? Anyone else ears that too or is it just us?
I have heared a crackling/metallic noise. First heard at end of riding season, but will investigate more in the sprint\g
stoder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 05:15 PM   #1172
Precis
Maladroit malcontent

Oddometer: 3,483
Quote:
Originally Posted by stoder View Post
I have heared a crackling/metallic noise. First heard at end of riding season, but will investigate more in the sprint\g
Yes, we have that interference too - it is not dependent on other vehicles or our bikes - it even does it down the length of the passage & is very annoying.
So is the poor range - they advertise 900m line of sight, but really it is more like 200-300 metres for clear sounds; might get 500 metres but beyond that the crackle is so bad that you can't hear.
Very underwhelmed by this product.
Old 02-06-2012, 05:36 PM   #1173
FrankoQ
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 171
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joker_-_ View Post
It's the gap between the helmet and the clamp. None of your pics are showing the angle where the gap is! Because of the physical configuration of the helmet (for aerodynamics and/or look I guess), the helmet has a concave curve outside, and the clamp has a convex curve for "round" helmets (like my girlfriend's, which fits perfectly). This creates a gap, and causing the clamp to be retained only by the very bottom and the extreme top, nothing in between. Besides, the RF-1100 has a rubber base wich is larger and accentuate the problem.

I'll take a few more pics to show you better when I get back home. Meanwhile, if yours fits in place perfectly, share your wisdom!

[EDIT]: Haha! Nice motto!
I see what you mean now. I have the gap, but still the unit seems pretty secure there. I guess I should go for a field test and see if it holds.

FrankoQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 06:40 PM   #1174
farcall
Bike-a-holic

Oddometer: 1,757
Pairing advice please

Two of us have bought a pair of SMH10's plus SR10's.

I have a Zumo 550. My ride buddy has a Zumo 660.

I have successfully paired my
  • UHF radio (via SR10) with my SMH10. It works OK but very very noisy... I've got a hunch it may be radio related, not Sena
  • Zumo 550 (via BT dongle) with my SMH10 for MP3. It works perfectly.
The problem relates to the 660 pairings. I can't get both pairings to hold.
If only the 660 is paired with the SMH10, it works perfectly. And if only the UHF is paired (via SR10) with the SMH10, it works perfectly as well (except for the aforementioned noise issue). But when I connect both pairings, the SR10 connection drops and the steady blinking blue light on the SR10 becomes a solid blue light, no blinking. The 660 > SMH10 pairing continues to work OK.

I've tried clearing all pairings (reset) from all devices and then reversed the order of pairings... no fix. Note: I have used the 'audio' setting on the 660 when pairing.

Any wisdom out there?
11 K1600GTL
farcall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 10:46 PM   #1175
Blobby
n00b

Oddometer: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankoQ View Post
I see what you mean now. I have the gap, but still the unit seems pretty secure there. I guess I should go for a field test and see if it holds.
That gap initially caused me an electric issue too since as the clamp was pressing the very top of the mount against the ridge just below the visor, it was causing the mount to flex slightly thus I was getting a bad connection between the mount and the electrical contacts on the Bluetooth egg snaped unit which you clip in. In rain, I'd start losing sound but it would come back if I tapped the side of the headset. Nw have replacement Sena and am hoping a loser fitting will reduce flex and resolve elec issue.
Blobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 05:41 AM   #1176
Joker_-_
2002 BMW R1150GSA

Oddometer: 70
Thanks for the replies on the cracking noise and the clamp. We now know we're not alone in the same situation therefore Sena might listen to us (as they are reputed to) and provide a solution.

If Ultraphil is right, the next firmware update might help with the cracking noise. All we'll need then will be a fix for the clamp, and that can be "solved" with some ingenuity, wich many here have :)

Roads
? Where we're going, we don't need roads.
Joker_-_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 10:17 AM   #1177
Oregonwinger66
Oregonwinger

Oddometer: 31
Hi, 1st post here. I've been reading this thread with interest. I installed the earphone base on my EXO 900, installed a 3.5mm plug on speaker wires, and also retained my original helmet wiring (J&M) The outputs of j&m I run into a 3.5 mm gold jack, and I can swap the speakers from Sena base to J&M lash-up. (Goldwing 1800) My speakers (drivers) are Koss Titaniums, and what a good sound!! Way gooder than oem Sena !. I also have to change mic when I use the wired setup, as the Wing requires a dynamic mic. (much noisier, btw) My one complaint is the phone ringer volume. I can hardly hear it, unless I have the phone volume way up. Hopefully that will be fixed in next firmware. They are aware of the complaints, and I hope for a fix, but who knows how long that'll take.

Question, when I fire up my Motorola S805 stereo bluetooth, it handshakes with the phone almost immediately, and PowerAmp starts within seconds. (really awesome player) When I fire up the Sena, it takes forever to handshake, like a min to a min and a half. Anyone else experience this? I use the Samsung Captivate phone. All my bluetooth pieces handshake with the phone fairly rapidly. 4 different Moto's, Blueant, MSI, Kensington, etc
Oregonwinger66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 10:27 AM   #1178
Joker_-_
2002 BMW R1150GSA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oregonwinger66 View Post
When I fire up the Sena, it takes forever to handshake, like a min to a min and a half. Anyone else experience this? I use the Samsung Captivate phone.
No problems here. I power up the sena and it connects to my phone (Rooted, unlocked Nexus one running Cyanogenmod 7) almost instantly. I haven't mesured it, but I'd say less than 15 seconds. I'll try it tonight and I'll take some better pics of the clamp's gap while I'm at it.

Thanks for the info on your speakers. I will buy a few other clamps with wired mike and audio-out rather than speakers to try this mod soon. I'm just waiting on a reply from Adam to know if there is something to do with the clamp or if theres an other type of clamps.

Roads
Old 02-07-2012, 10:32 AM   #1179
Joker_-_
2002 BMW R1150GSA

Quote:
My speakers (drivers) are Koss Titaniums, and what a good sound!! Way gooder than oem Sena !
Could you give us more details on theses drivers? I searched for it but found lots of different speakers with this description, with prices varying from 10$ to 100$+.

Also, is there any bass with theses? If so, I am buying some right away!

Roads
Old 02-07-2012, 11:06 AM   #1180
Oregonwinger66
Oregonwinger

Hi Joker. The bass is so good, I find myself turning it down to 50% in PowerAmp. I quit using the equalizer in PA, to help with battery life. The drivers are from a set of R Shack/Koss titanic over the ear type headsets. UR-40, comes to mind. I don't think they have them anymore, maybe Amazon. Also, as a side note, they're very efficient. I run the volume much below what I had to with the Sena drivers. Hence, that helps with the Sena battery life. But, more bass, faster battery consumption. They are a bit of a trick to get them installed in the Scorpian Ex900, as the provided headset pockets are very tiny. Whatever you do, watch for the tiniest steel particles. They get on the diaphram, and it just ruins the sound.

I tried to get a cpl shots on this post, but I don't see where to insert shots from local drive. Only a web page choice.. I'm new at this board, but fairly familiar at vBulletin. On the other vBulletin boards I participate in, one can point at pictures on local drive, and upload them. I don't see that feature here. More research.

Oregonwinger66 screwed with this post 02-07-2012 at 11:50 AM Reason: Added Koss model?
Old 02-07-2012, 11:31 AM   #1181
BlueLghtning
Riding is my passion

Oddometer: 4,735
This got posted in another thread by inmate and I thought I would share this over here since I know a few people have posted up about having issues pairing both their phone and Zumo 660 to the SMH10. Basically most people want to have music from their phone and be able to control it with the jog dial, but have navigation instructions from their Zumo. The reason people have problems with this is that both devices are taking both profiles (HFP & A2DP) when they connect so the other device gets disconnected. This is how you can specify from the SMH10 to only connect with one profile to a certain device.

In this instance, you can connect your Zumo 660 for navigation over HFP and your iPhone or Android for music control using A2DP profile. If you want to go one step further, once your phone is paired with the SMH10 for music only, then leaving that connection active, you should be able to pair with the GPS for phone control via the Zumo as the hub between them. It should only use the HFP connection between the phone and the GPS.

Quote:
Pages 9 - 10 of the SMH10 manual explain ways to control which protocol (A2DP or HFP) you use to pair to a device.

PAIRING WITH SELECTIVE PROFILE: A2DP STEREO OR HANDSFREE
If you have a MP3 stereo music phone such as a smartphone, sometimes you may
need to selectively use the SMH10 for A2DP stereo music only or for mobile phone
hands-free only. This instruction is for advanced users who want to pair the SMH10
to their smartphones only with one selective profile: A2DP Stereo for music or HFP
for phone call.
If it is not the first time to do paring with the smartphone, you have to clear the
previous paring list on both devices; the smartphone and SMH10. To clear pairing
list on SMH10, please do factory reset described on the page 16. To clear pairing
list on the smartphone, please refer to the smartphone manual.
• A2DP Stereo Music Only
1. Turn on the headset and press the Phone Button for 5 seconds until the LED
flashes red and blue alternately and you hear multiple beeps.
2. Within 2 seconds, tap the Jog Dial again, then the LED turns to red flashing and
the beeps turn to double mid-tone beeps.
3. Search for Bluetooth devices on your smartphone. The headset will be listed on
your mobile phone as SMH10.
4. Enter 0000 for the PIN. Some smartphones may not ask for PIN.
• HFP for Phone Call Only
1. Turn on the headset and press the Phone Button for 5 seconds until the LED
flashes red and blue alternately and you hear multiple beeps.
2. Within 2 seconds, tap the Phone Button again, then the LED turns to blue flashing
and the beeps turn to multiple mid-tone beeps.
3. Search for Bluetooth devices on your smartphone. The headset will be listed on
your mobile phone as SMH10.
4. Enter 0000 for the PIN. Some smartphones may not ask for PIN.
Smugmug Pics - Save $5: Y2l43o9LVBERU
BlueLghtning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 12:55 PM   #1182
Joker_-_
2002 BMW R1150GSA

Quote:
I tried to get a cpl shots on this post, but I don't see where to insert shots from local drive. .
You gotta host your file somewhere (photobucket seems to be the norm around here, but anywhere will work - even your picasa online album). I agree with you that it kinda sucks, but I can understand that with that much users on a Forum, the bandwidth and hard-drive space used would be costly and hard to manage. Other than that, this forum is awesomely ressourcefull!

I'll try your mod for sure. Shoei RF-1100 has some nice pockets of somewhere around 1.5 inche, maybe 2 inches large and maybe 1/4" depth, anything smaller than a subwoofer should fit there ;)

Roads
Old 02-07-2012, 01:27 PM   #1183
Oregonwinger66
Oregonwinger

Hi again, Joker I came to that conclusion, the places I already have albums on, require un, and pwd's.
You probably know that keeping the driver up against your ears is real important. And that's not too easy, yet still be comfortable.
Also, wiring phase is equally important. + to + and - to -
Also, you might go to different stores and see if they have any head-phones to compare. The stores here won't let us do that for hygiene reasons. Anyway, good luck.

Oregonwinger66 screwed with this post 02-07-2012 at 01:29 PM Reason: Added info about phase
Old 02-07-2012, 04:05 PM   #1184
farcall
Bike-a-holic

Oddometer: 1,757
Quote:
Originally Posted by farcall View Post
....The problem relates to the 660 pairings. I can't get both pairings to hold.

If only the 660 is paired with the SMH10, it works perfectly. And if only the UHF is paired (via SR10) with the SMH10, it works perfectly as well (except for the aforementioned noise issue). But when I connect both pairings, the SR10 connection drops and the steady blinking blue light on the SR10 becomes a solid blue light, no blinking. The 660 > SMH10 pairing continues to work OK....
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueLghtning View Post
This got posted in another thread by inmate and I thought I would share this over here since I know a few people have posted up about having issues pairing both their phone and Zumo 660 to the SMH10. Basically most people want to have music from their phone and be able to control it with the jog dial, but have navigation instructions from their Zumo. The reason people have problems with this is that both devices are taking both profiles (HFP & A2DP) when they connect so the other device gets disconnected. This is how you can specify from the SMH10 to only connect with one profile to a certain device.

In this instance, you can connect your Zumo 660 for navigation over HFP and your iPhone or Android for music control using A2DP profile. If you want to go one step further, once your phone is paired with the SMH10 for music only, then leaving that connection active, you should be able to pair with the GPS for phone control via the Zumo as the hub between them. It should only use the HFP connection between the phone and the GPS.
Thanks for the info BL. Not sure if you had my post in mind when posting but the info may help me.

Since my buddy only wants MP3 out of his 660, I'm thinking I should retry the pairings using the A2DP instruction, i.e. making sure I tap the Jog dial instead of the Phone button. Will report back.
11 K1600GTL
farcall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 04:07 PM   #1185
BlueLghtning
Riding is my passion

Oddometer: 4,735
Quote:
Originally Posted by farcall View Post
Thanks for the info BL. Not sure if you had my post in mind when posting but the info may help me.

Since my buddy only wants MP3 out of his 660, I'm thinking I should retry the pairings using the A2DP instruction, i.e. making sure I tap the Jog dial instead of the Phone button. Will report back.
You were one of them among a few others I was trying to help in here. Hopefully you guys get them sorted.
Smugmug Pics - Save $5: Y2l43o9LVBERU
BlueLghtning is offline   Reply With Quote