Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-14-2010, 04:19 AM   #121
levain
STILL Jim Williams

Oddometer: 7,092
Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketMoto
The Sena works fine pairing to multiple devices. For example, we have paired the Sena A2DP profile to an iPhone 3Gs, and the hands-free profile to a Garmin Zumo 550 and also to a Nuvi 765. It works as expected when connected to multiple devices.
Really? Why does mine shut down when I try to do the same with Zumo and iPhone?
1971 Lambretta DL
levain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2010, 05:35 AM   #122
sonic578
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 727
Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketMoto
Steve:
(Thanks for the order! )

There's a an earbud compatible version of the 'clamp unit' coming in about a month (that's the latest info that I have). You will be able order the clamp unit as an accessory, and the Bluetooth transceiver just clips into the clamp unit. Handy if you want to use speakers on one helmet and ear buds on another; a very clever, versatile design.

The speaker-mic clamp units in the current kits retail for $49.95 ea., so I would think that the earbud version will be in this range, as well.

Adam,
I had inquired about this feature as well, and also told that this option pictured above (A0303?) was about a month away. That was on 4/28. Should be soon!?

The point of my post is this - what would be really slick is if this unit also had the loudspeakers hardwired to it. No need for music today? Just rely on the speakers for comm. Next time you want music, plug in the earbuds and the speakers cutout and all audio routed through earbuds, with appropriate sound level.

Shouldn't be hard to do, but I don't think Sena has that on their radar for the near future?? Maybe we need to get some adventurous ADV'er to work out the hack to install a 3.5mm jack on the std headset? If anyone knows of someone who has done this, pls post.
Old 05-14-2010, 06:20 AM   #123
splat matt
::.::::..::.:::.::::

Oddometer: 219
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Williams
Really? Why does mine shut down when I try to do the same with Zumo and iPhone?
which zumo ( it makes a difference)
Old 05-14-2010, 06:38 AM   #124
levain
STILL Jim Williams

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotaru
which zumo ( it makes a difference)
Zumo 550 and iPhone 3g.
I thought the issue was iPhone not able to choose headset profiles? Hoping latest June iPhone allows...
1971 Lambretta DL
Old 05-14-2010, 07:56 AM   #125
wayneK
n00b

Oddometer: 1
One of the limitations with a BT intercom is the inability to have more than one headset listen to the same music device. Does anyone know if this is a potential work around:

BT MP3 player to headset #1
Same BT MP3 player with BT dongle(Sony TMR-BT10A Bluetooth Adapter) to headset #2

The question would be, when the BT dongle is attached to the MP3 player, does the MP3 player's built in BT stop transmitting. Before I invest in all the tech, thought someone here might know.

Thanks
wayneK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2010, 09:18 AM   #126
MuleTrain
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 281
Quote:
Zumo 550 and iPhone 3g.
I thought the issue was iPhone not able to choose headset profiles? Hoping latest June iPhone allows...
I'm not familiar with iphones but it looks like my blackberry allows me to set what profiles the phone 'sends'. So I am hoping I can use the phone for 'handsfree' profile only and the BT dongle off the 478 for the 'A2DP' profile. That means I wouldn't get MP3's from my phone but would get XM from the dongle.

Maybe the iphone 3g doesn't allow for editing BT profiles but the 3gs does???? I think there is an early post in this thread detailing how the iphone handles profiles?

Cardo Systems Support is telling me the G4 cannot connect to two different BT devices even if those connections are different; ie Handsfree profile and A2DP profile....apparently this is something the Sena supports, just a FYI.

MuleTrain screwed with this post 05-14-2010 at 01:37 PM
MuleTrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2010, 07:29 PM   #127
MeanMoe
one really mean cat

Oddometer: 2,841
Quote:
Zumo 550 and iPhone 3g.
With the 2G iPhone, I had to turn off WiFi to keep it from dropping the pairing between the zumo and Scala. I no longer have the Scala so I don't know if this is still an issue for the 3g/gs phones.

MeanMoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2010, 11:21 PM   #128
TYOzzy
TYOzzy

Oddometer: 18
Test run with the SENA SMH10

My hubby and I rode in a breast cancer awareness and fund raiser ride today called "Ride for the Cure". It was a great ride and very impressive as there were over 1000 bikes participating. Great time to have the headsets. We did get rained on a bit but nothing too bad to bear. The sets did fairly well in intercom mode. We did get some periodic static and garbled speach. We were never more than a couple hundred feet apart. It was tolerable as it wasn't constant. As I mentioned in an earlier post, my husband has a half shell helmet so we were a little concerned about how it would function as far as how the wind would pick up in the mics. I could hear the wind, but his voice came through loud and clear.

He did have an issue with how the ear pieces fit in his helmet. He's probably going to have to cut a hole in the foam to set them in as they rubbed on his ears and ended up becoming quite painful. Not Sena's faullt, but rather a problem with the type of helmet he has. Earbuds would definitely solve that problem for him. I did notice that the intercom and stereo worked through both speakers, but when I got a call, I could only hear the call through one ear. I thought that was odd. Not good for me since the ear it came through on was the one I'm partially deaf in. :(

A problem we both had was how the units actually fit on the helmets. I have a full face helmet. It couldn't be clipped onto either of our helmets so we had to go with the using the adhesive provided with the units. After about 6 hours, of which about an hour was light rain, the adhesive gave up and the units came off. Good thing we weren't riding at the time. We were at the rally portion of the ride and went to put our helmets back on and off came the units. We rode home unable to communicate.

So far we like them "ok". They paired up easily and hubby was able to use the voice dial function with his phone. One of the reasons I went for the Sena was that ability, but guess what... The Motorola Droid (my phone) does not have the ability to dial the phone via bluetooth. Even the most basic blue tooth phone has that ability, but that's another story and not a problem of Sena.

The jog dial is a nice feature of the Sena. It's easy to change the volume and scan thru songs on the phone. It's also nice to just be able to "tap" the jog dial for functions instead of having to feel around for the right button.

If anyone knows of some decent adhesive or a work around without having to cut into the helmets pads to keep the units on the helmets, I would greatly appreciate the insight. Why don't they just make the clips kinda clamp like? It would be nice if you could just adjust how wide the mouth on the clip opens that way it would fit any helmet style?
TYOzzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2010, 11:25 PM   #129
Unleaded
Unit Train

Oddometer: 750
Having never used a comm system - bluetooth or otherwise - I have a noob question...

If you are using the sets for bike-to-bike communication, and you receive a cell call on your linked phone, does the phone override the other rider? In other words, since these sets are apparently voice-activated rather than PTT, what prohibits him/her from having to listen to your side of the call?
Old 05-16-2010, 03:27 AM   #130
Solstice0000
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 138
Quote:
Originally Posted by TYOzzy
I did notice that the intercom and stereo worked through both speakers, but when I got a call, I could only hear the call through one ear.
Thats truly odd. Is this true?

Quote:
A problem we both had was how the units actually fit on the helmets. I have a full face helmet. It couldn't be clipped onto either of our helmets so we had to go with the using the adhesive provided with the units. After about 6 hours, of which about an hour was light rain, the adhesive gave up and the units came off.
Don't the units also have a clamp-on style like the Scala? After all, I believe they come with some tiny screws for attaching the unit securely to the helmet shell.
Solstice0000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2010, 05:24 AM   #131
splat matt

Quote:
If anyone knows of some decent adhesive or a work around without having to cut into the helmets pads to keep the units on the helmets, I would greatly appreciate the insight. Why don't they just make the clips kinda clamp like? It would be nice if you could just adjust how wide the mouth on the clip opens that way it would fit any helmet style?

Use a little rubbing alcohol to the area you are going to stick the mount to. Make sure the surface is completely dry. Then use 3M Exterior mounting tape (can found at a Home Depot or the like). Essentially the same adhesive that came on the mount only thicker. I am using the adhesive mount on my helmet (Scorpion EXO-700) and have no problems and have used this type of procedure with other systems - never had a unit detach yet. They key is prepping your mounting surface. When you re-adhere the mount hold it using firm pressure against the helmet for 30 secs.

Hope that helps!

Old 05-16-2010, 06:54 AM   #132
TYOzzy
TYOzzy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solstice0000
Thats truly odd. Is this true?
If it's supposed to happen or not, I don't know, but it did with mine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solstice0000
Don't the units also have a clamp-on style like the Scala? After all, I believe they come with some tiny screws for attaching the unit securely to the helmet shell.
It doesn't open wide enough to clamp onto my helmet. If we're going to use the clamp, we'll have to cut into the foam on the side of my helmet. Something I don't really want to do.
Old 05-16-2010, 06:58 AM   #133
levain
STILL Jim Williams

Quote:
It doesn't open wide enough to clamp onto my helmet. If we're going to use the clamp, we'll have to cut into the foam on the side of my helmet. Something I don't really want to do.
Can you not go in between the foam and the shell itself?
Dual lock might be an option as well. It's similar to velcro but extremely strong.
1971 Lambretta DL
Old 05-16-2010, 07:01 AM   #134
TYOzzy
TYOzzy

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotaru
Use a little rubbing alcohol to the area you are going to stick the mount to. Make sure the surface is completely dry. Then use 3M Exterior mounting tape (can found at a Home Depot or the like). Essentially the same adhesive that came on the mount only thicker. I am using the adhesive mount on my helmet (Scorpion EXO-700) and have no problems and have used this type of procedure with other systems - never had a unit detach yet. They key is prepping your mounting surface. When you re-adhere the mount hold it using firm pressure against the helmet for 30 secs.

Hope that helps!

It came with 3M mounting tape. Is it different than what you use? Hubby says he did all that. :)
Old 05-16-2010, 07:02 AM   #135
splat matt

Quote:
If it's supposed to happen or not, I don't know, but it did with mine.

Just use the adhesive method I posted earlier. Cutting into the foam on a helmet should never be an option. You can really interfere with the helmets ability to absorb impact.