Go Back   ADVrider > Gear > Equipment
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-08-2012, 09:25 AM   #1366
Oregonwinger66
Oregonwinger

Oddometer: 31
I have a new problem with 4.0. It doesn't want to turn on, if I go by 4.0 pdf., unless I do it an "exact" way. It took me many attempts to get it to turn on, but for some reason it requires me to hold jog in at least 1-2 seconds, and press, not tap phone button. Where it used to be a quick tap of both phone and jog button. Well, I couldn't get it to work correctly on our ride yesterday, (maddening) so I switched my helmet back to the Wing oem intercom, and the difference in volume is incredible! Same drivers in helmet. Anyway, I finally discovered the routine at home, last eve. Funny things is, the shut-off procedure didn't change. A quick tap of jog and phone button, and it's off. Any ideas. I'm about ready to just stick with the wires. More volume at 70 mph, and the cb is usable. Besides, streaming from my Skyrocket kills the battery in phone real fast. So, the onboard bikemp3 is the way to go. And, I am now hearing the forthcoming SM10 is only one way, (dual streaming A2DP) with no talking to the bike, so the cb will still be un-usable with the Sena. Grrrr !

What is the snowmobile dual pack worth? With the earbud base. (So, 3 bases) The earbud base has the resistors bypassed. I have 450 in this outfit, and I'm fast becoming disappointed! With any bluetooth, Sena probably still being the best.

Oregonwinger66 screwed with this post 04-08-2012 at 11:35 AM Reason: fix spelling, and 1 omission
Oregonwinger66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 10:41 AM   #1367
mwood7800
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 537
sena

Just did 2000miles , intercom works great until we both used bon dogles for music, seems to work ok with one dogle but intercom goes to shit when both riders turn on dogles, anyone else have a problem
mwood7800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 02:51 PM   #1368
Lomax
Nanu-Nanu Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,510
I just did the 4.0 update on my Sena SMH10 today and had not issues what so ever.

Well OK the multiple pairing process has changed and the volume was very low to start out with.

Following the NEW instructions in the NEW manual got the multiple pairing done with no issues and just turning the volume up and up fixed the volume issue.

I kind of like the new voice prompts.

Marc
Old 04-08-2012, 03:39 PM   #1369
Joe Bar
Middle England

Oddometer: 1,354
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lomax View Post
............... and just turning the volume up and up fixed the volume issue.

Marc
Are you saying you over-rode the beeps and it got louder than the installed max volume? I installed the V4 and seemed quiter than before as well, so went back to V3 earlier today, but haven't tried it again yet.
Old 04-08-2012, 03:46 PM   #1370
Lomax
Nanu-Nanu Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,510
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Bar View Post
Are you saying you over-rode the beeps and it got louder than the installed max volume? I installed the V4 and seemed quiter than before as well, so went back to V3 earlier today, but haven't tried it again yet.
Nope, I did not override anything. Just turned up the jog dial and the volume came right back. I did have to turn it up quite a ways but as far as I can tell there is not a stop on it anywhere.

Marc
Old 04-08-2012, 05:03 PM   #1371
skyguy
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 122
A little follow-up. After successfully upgrading to v.4, I went for a nice long ride yesterday. I really like the voice prompts - When I power up the SMH10, it connects to my iPhone4S in my pocket with a "Media connected," followed by "Phone connected." Then as the zümo 660 powers up when I start the bike, I hear "Device connected."

For the first hour or so, everything worked well. Stereo music from the iPhone, interrupted when the GPS wanted to talk. I did notice that the GPS announcements tend to be "up-cut," that is, it starts talking before the channel is open. So you get commands like "...rn left in 2 miles" or "...proaching destination." I guess it takes the Sena a second or so to figure out that the GPS is talking. Not a huge deal, because the zümo screen is right in front of my face.

After a rest stop, though, the GPS announcements starting sounding very distorted, to the point of being unintelligible. At a stop, I tried to lower the GPS volume, only to discover that it wouldn't let me change the volume when it's connected to a bluetooth headset. But I was able to find the "audio mixer" on the zümo and lowered the voice ("Navigation") volume to 90% (from 100%). That seemed to help.

The rest of the ride went well, until I stopped for gas. I use an iPhone app to track my gas mileage, and after inputting my gas data, I discovered that the Sena/iPhone had lost voice command ability for some reason. After cycling power on the Sena and the GPS, normal functioning was restored.

So, I'd say that the SMH10 with the v.4 software is a good start, but there are still some bugs to work out. Still, I'd give it a "B." Most of the time, it works perfectly for me. YMMV.

I don't have any riding partners with a Sena, so I can't speak to the intercom functionality.
skyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 05:28 PM   #1372
PDaddy
n00b

Oddometer: 5
I noticed the same thing with the beginning of the GPS audio being clipped. On my Garmin 2720, there's an option in audio settings to turn on an alert tone. Turning that on solves the problem. The tone gets the channel open so the voice prompts are no longer clipped.
PDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 05:30 PM   #1373
JRWooden
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,128
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Bar View Post
with V4 did you crank up the volume until you got the double-beep?
At least with V3.x that's what indicated you were at max. volume.
I have not yet upgraded to V4.0 I'm waiting for you guys to finish the beta testing...
JRWooden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 06:31 PM   #1374
Get_Bent
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 927
Upgraded to 4.0. The headset now has voice prompts telling you what you may be paired with. Did not notice a change in volumes
Live in Minnesota and Ride? Read this
Get_Bent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 08:05 PM   #1375
sonic578
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 726
i'd be very interested in hearing what the steps are for starting and ending a multi-unit 'conference' call with SMH10 v4... and just general likes and dislikes with this new-to-version-4 intercom function? i understand Scala now supports up to 8 talkers. this trend of allowing conference mode is a good one in my opinion, but how usable is it? inquiring minds want to know.
Old 04-09-2012, 03:12 AM   #1376
Joe Bar
Middle England

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRWooden View Post
with V4 did you crank up the volume until you got the double-beep?
At least with V3.x that's what indicated you were at max. volume.
I have not yet upgraded to V4.0 I'm waiting for you guys to finish the beta testing...
Yes, I always wear earplugs so generally have the volume cranked right up at anything over 40-50 mph, with the V4 I was losing music at 70-ish, whereas before music was still ok at 80-85. I upgraded from the old non USB model, and installed V4 right off, so never ridden with V3, re-wound it back to V3 last night and yet to try it, but will report back when I do.
Old 04-09-2012, 05:40 AM   #1377
skyguy
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 122
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDaddy View Post
I noticed the same thing with the beginning of the GPS audio being clipped. On my Garmin 2720, there's an option in audio settings to turn on an alert tone. Turning that on solves the problem. The tone gets the channel open so the voice prompts are no longer clipped.
Thanks for the tip! Unfortunately, I don't think the zümo 660 has this function (or if it does, I couldn't find it).

Maybe I'll send a suggestion to Garmin that they add this in a future software update...
skyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 08:43 AM   #1378
danham
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 268
For those having volume problems, did you remove all the old pairings on all devices after doing the v4 update?

I did but forgot to do it with my iPhone and it had problems (nasty distortion, not lack of volume). I therefore went back and erased all pairings on all devices and started over fresh. I'll be road testing this further this afternoon, but in the house it all works fine --plenty of volume even with earplugs in and no distortion.

-dan
Old 04-09-2012, 09:26 AM   #1379
Joe Bar
Middle England

Quote:
Originally Posted by danham View Post
For those having volume problems, did you remove all the old pairings on all devices after doing the v4 update?

-dan
I had no pairings at all in the unit before doing the V4 update, so none to remove after.
Old 04-09-2012, 10:23 AM   #1380
mpenner
Heavy Cruiser

Oddometer: 797
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lomax View Post
I just did the 4.0 update on my Sena SMH10 today and had not issues what so ever.

Well OK the multiple pairing process has changed and the volume was very low to start out with.

Following the NEW instructions in the NEW manual got the multiple pairing done with no issues and just turning the volume up and up fixed the volume issue.

I kind of like the new voice prompts.

Marc
It seems that the volume settings are stored in memory. When you upgrade the firmware, your settings get overwritten with the default settings which seem to be about the midway point between the min and max. So after upgrading firmware, turn up the volume for music, phone, and intercom (all are stored as separate settings) and the unit will remember your settings.

2001 KLR 650
2003 V-Strom DL1000
mpenner is offline   Reply With Quote