Go Back   ADVrider > Gear > Equipment
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-17-2012, 08:08 AM   #1441
danham
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 268
Alec, I'm running an iPhone 4 (not S) with iOS 5.1, paired via HFP and A2DP to the SMH10.

Unfortunately, I'm pretty sure my friend also got the "media connected" message (which refers to A2DP) with his Droid and SMH10. I'm pretty sure he was multi-paired with his nuvi GPS.

-dan
Old 04-17-2012, 09:02 AM   #1442
AlecMyrddyn
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 213
Quote:
Originally Posted by radon222 View Post
We only experienced the limited drops...with just my wife and I paired for intercom. We each had android phones also paired for phone & media.
Quote:
Originally Posted by danham View Post
Alec, I'm running an iPhone 4 (not S) with iOS 5.1, paired via HFP and A2DP to the SMH10.

Unfortunately, I'm pretty sure my friend also got the "media connected" message (which refers to A2DP) with his Droid and SMH10. I'm pretty sure he was multi-paired with his nuvi GPS.
Thanks guys, that's very helpful! I've already pointed Sena to this thread, and will point them to this specific post as well.

From a troubleshooting mindset, that says to me that the problem is not with a specific type of phone or software version on the phone, but instead it's likely to be a bug in Sena's 4.0 firmware. If I were the only person having this problem, it could have been a physical problem with the Bluetooth radio in my phone causing the problem. If it only happened to people with iPhones, it might have been a bug with Apple's A2DP implementation, or specific to iOS 5.1. With multiple brands of phones experiencing exactly the same issue, the only commonality is the Sena 4.0 firmware.

At the very least, it adds evidence to help Sena prioritize this issue.

-Alec
AlecMyrddyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 09:14 AM   #1443
Nytelyte
Somewhere about

Oddometer: 626
I just wanted to give an update... I bought the dual kit from RocketMoto (Who is EXCELLENT, by the way) a few months back. I've used it as a personal device for music this spring, with the first chance to use them to talk to each other just a few days ago.
Nytelytette got out for her first all by herself ride on Sunday on her nighthawk, I was on my FZ following behind her. We tooled through the neighborhood so she could practice, getting her first road miles under her belt.

Having the Sena set made it incredibly better. I could give her instant feedback on techniques & mistakes in a way that would never have been possible before. Reception was perfect, voices were clear, it was great.
Then we went on a ride on the FZ together for a hour long jaunt through the country. Being able to talk while riding is totally changing this hobby of ours for the better X1000. These things are great!
Nytelyte is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 09:33 AM   #1444
TowPro
Getting there

Oddometer: 2,824
Both my Wife and Daughter will talk to me for hours riding in the car or truck. Put either one of them on the bike and they don't have a thing to say. They just want to set back and enjoy the ride.
Old 04-17-2012, 09:45 AM   #1445
Flameout
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 275
Question Just got a new 10...

...opened the box and installed it on my XD3. Install went good. My ear is forward of the "ear hole" and had to move the speaker out of the hole and onto the pad itself so that the speaker lines up with my ear. It is touching my ear ever so slightly and after wearing it for 40min it bugged me enough that I'm having to look behind the pad and maybe put it back there. Anyone install these on an XD3? Can you offer up some tips? Thanks!

After I installed the speakers and mic I wanted to try pairing it with my Ipod. In a few seconds, made that happen. Very cool and there is enough volume there to easily hear the music over the earplugs. Can't wait to try it on the bike!

The next thing I did was to pair it with my ancient Casio G'zOne. A few seconds later I made a call to the little woman. Worked flawless! She said she could tell I was in my helmet as it was a bit muffled, otherwise commo was perfect! Lots of volume and making the call using voice prompts worked good if I could just remember how they're listed in the phone and say it right.

I wanted to next try and listen to my music and receive a call. Sent a txt to a friend and asked him to call when he could. While waiting I was jamming out to Deuce - America sitting at the kitchen table with my helmet on...come on, you've done it...noticed my phone had a missed call. Checked the bluetooth and it was no longer connected to the 10. Hmmm, curious. Held the 10's phone button for 5 sec and tried to pair it again with the phone, it worked. But what happened is that the Ipod was dropped as soon as I put it in pairing mode trying to hook the phone up again. The Ipod won't pair with the 10 until I drop the phone. What am I doing wrong? I did a factory reset and repaired both of them. It still will only pair with one or the other. Help.

So, in the first few hrs of operation:

The GOOD:
1. Easy as hell to install!
2. VOLUME!
3. Pairing was within 5 seconds

The Needs Improvement:
1. Need to adjust the speakers as to not touch my ears.
2. Figure out the multiple pairing issue.
3. (I should have 3, but it's a work in progress...hahaha!)

Yet to do:
1. Once I'm happy with the placement I'll blue lock-tite the clamp screws.
2. Pair up the little lady's set with her Ipod and phone.
3. Move on to the intercom.
4. Do the Firmwear upgrade on both sets.

Thought I'd share my brief experience with the 10. Thanks for all the help in advance. I'm sure I'm just an idiot and missed something during the set-up(I hope!).

Take care, Walt

FOLLOW ME!
http://share.findmespot.com/shared/f...rytJ4p77xkQ75p
Flameout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 09:53 AM   #1446
TowPro
Getting there

Oddometer: 2,824
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flameout View Post
Yet to do:
1. Once I'm happy with the placement I'll blue lock-tite the clamp screws.
2. Pair up the little lady's set with her Ipod and phone.
3. Move on to the intercom.
4. Do the Firmwear upgrade on both sets.

Thought I'd share my brief experience with the 10. Thanks for all the help in advance. I'm sure I'm just an idiot and missed something during the set-up(I hope!).

Take care, Walt
I would do the firmware upgrade first..... For best results you need to set them back to factory defaults after the firmware upgrade, then remove the devices from each phone, then re-pair everything.

Watch that blue lock-tite. It reacts with different kinds of plastic and makes it brittle. Not sure there is a need. Maybe check the mount when you "de-Bug" the helmet.
Old 04-17-2012, 11:30 AM   #1447
AlecMyrddyn
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:

I wanted to next try and listen to my music and receive a call. Sent a txt to a friend and asked him to call when he could. While waiting I was jamming out to Deuce - America sitting at the kitchen table with my helmet on...come on, you've done it...noticed my phone had a missed call. Checked the bluetooth and it was no longer connected to the 10. Hmmm, curious. Held the 10's phone button for 5 sec and tried to pair it again with the phone, it worked. But what happened is that the Ipod was dropped as soon as I put it in pairing mode trying to hook the phone up again. The Ipod won't pair with the 10 until I drop the phone. What am I doing wrong? I did a factory reset and repaired both of them. It still will only pair with one or the other. Help.
Walt/Flameout

The SMH-10 only supports a single A2DP (Media/Music) pairing. The default phone pairing method will connect up both for HFP (Headset) and A2DP (music). Read how to do "selective pairing" in the manual. You want your iPod to use the "Media" connection, and the phone to only pair as a headset, not both.

Alec
Old 04-17-2012, 12:04 PM   #1448
ipaqpoweruser
Enjoy the Ride

Oddometer: 82
Smh10

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlecMyrddyn View Post
Walt/Flameout

The SMH-10 only supports a single A2DP (Media/Music) pairing. The default phone pairing method will connect up both for HFP (Headset) and A2DP (music). Read how to do "selective pairing" in the manual. You want your iPod to use the "Media" connection, and the phone to only pair as a headset, not both.

Alec
Alec is correct. I have my iphone 4s paired in phone mode only and I have a separate bluetooth transmitter connected to my ipod media paired with the SMH10. When there is an incoming call, I hear the ring tone in my headset and can answer it by pressing the jog dial. The music goes silent during the ring tone and call. Once I have ended the call, the music volume comes back to life. It took me a couple of tries to get the right sequence of pairing. Follow the instructions in the manual and it should work for you.

JL
ipaqpoweruser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 01:27 PM   #1449
danham
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 268
Alec,

Have you tried pairing your iPhone just via HFP, not using A2DP? I realize that will eliminate music, but as a test it might help isolate whether the A2DP profile is the troublemaker.

-dan
Old 04-17-2012, 01:52 PM   #1450
AlecMyrddyn
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by danham View Post
Alec,

Have you tried pairing your iPhone just via HFP, not using A2DP? I realize that will eliminate music, but as a test it might help isolate whether the A2DP profile is the troublemaker.

-dan
I haven't yet, but that has been floating around my brain as an idea. Given the "Media Connected" message I have to assume this is being caused by the A2DP pairing being reset somehow. So by not having any A2DP pairing, I suspect the problem will go away.

What is confusing so far is that I've never had a random announcement of "Media Connected" with the SMH-10 powered up and not in use, or while listening to music. Why does this only seem to happen when the Intercom is in use?

I'll be trying a few things until Sena gets back to me, and will report here if I learn anything new. Something easy I can do for now is leave the SMH-10 powered on when I'm near the helmet, and wait to see if I hear a random "Media Connected" announcement for no reason.

-Alec
Old 04-17-2012, 02:07 PM   #1451
Flameout
Gnarly Adventurer

Bluhduh

Ok, Got the new manual downloaded and went to chapter 7. So, are you saying my GZone is a smart phone and I need to pair it as a phone only? Then the Ipod Touch Gen 4 as music? The gray matter is frying and it smells like teen spirit...

Ok, just got off the phone with Dan at Sena and I'm all updated. For those of you having a problem updating, you have to make sure all Bluetooth devices are removed or disabled on the netbook/laptop/computer you plan to use to update your SMH10B. I had my internal Bluetooth on the netbook enabled and it froze the install. Dan gave me a class on how to find it and temporarily disable it in the device mgr.. I'm going to read the new manual and give this pairing another try...more to come. Again thanks for the help!!!

FOLLOW ME!

Flameout screwed with this post 04-17-2012 at 04:14 PM
Old 04-17-2012, 04:10 PM   #1452
BlueLghtning
Riding is my passion

Oddometer: 4,861
Quote:
Ok, Got the new manual downloaded and went to chapter 7. So, are you saying my GZone is a smart phone and I need to pair it as a phone only? Then the Ipod Touch Gen 4 as music? The gray matter is frying and it smells like teen spirit...
Correct. I just had to look it up and the GZone appears to be a Casio Android phone. So basically when you pair this phone to the SMH10, by default it pairs with the HFP & A2DP profile. Then if you turn around and pair the Ipod Touch, it also pairs with an A2DP profile over riding the phone connection. You can do selective pairing on the SMH10 side, but since this is Android, you have another option.

After pairing the phone to the SMH10, go into BT settings on the phone and choose the connection to the SMH10. If hold it down or select it, you should see options. Uncheck the media connection and that will force the SMH10 to pair with the phone with the HFP only.
Smugmug Pics - Save $5 <-- Click Here
BlueLghtning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 04:22 PM   #1453
EKinOR
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 235
Quick question - what happens when you get an incoming call? Ringtone only? Voice announcement of caller/number? My BlueAnt bluetooth speaker announces the caller (if it's in the contacts list) or number, so I don't have to look at my phone to see who is calling.
EKinOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 04:57 PM   #1454
Flameout
Gnarly Adventurer

Just got a call and it beeps ascending 4 or 5 beeps and repeats. And after a few, it answers, but I'm thinking that's a setting on the phone.

FOLLOW ME!
Old 04-17-2012, 05:32 PM   #1455
AlecMyrddyn
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
You got it!

Page 13 of the new manual, section 7.2 "HFP for Phone Call Only":

Hold the PHone button for 5 seconds until the LED is flashing.
Within 2 seconds, press the phone button.
You should hear beeps and "Multipoint Pairing"
On the phone, pair with the SMH-10, it will use HFP only (calls) and not the A2DP profile for music.

Alec