Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-18-2012, 09:04 AM   #1471
RocketMoto
2 Many Motersikles

Oddometer: 916
Patience, patience...

Just my 2 Kopeks, worth...

Y'all could save yourself a *TON* of time and hassle by waiting **at least a month** after a new release comes out, prior attempting an update your existing product. I realize the temptation of getting the 'latest and greatest' can be overpowering, but often, it's much more of the former, and a lot less of the latter.

I guarantee that there will be bugs, problems, issues, anomalies, strange behavior, unexplainable circumstances, and just plain frustration, if you insist upon being on the bleeding edge. Software isn't perfect, and you will learn that quickly, if you jump in right away.

Having been in software development and engineering for longer than I care to think about, this is an inescapable reality. Your patience will reward you with a better experience.

Wait a month, or more - and spend more time riding and less time fiddling.
Autocom | TPX Radar/Laser | Sena Bluetooth
| Hi-Power LED Lights
Shorai Battery | Techmount | Powerlet | Rowe PDM60 | Skene Design

RocketMoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 09:43 AM   #1472
danham
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 268
Adam,

Per usual from you, excellent advice. But ...

With the trend these days being that the customers are the beta testers, willing or not [g], I am happy to be one of them. So I'm not complaining about all the hassles and instead, as you noted elsewhere, am learning a whole lot about BT in a very short time. Maybe Sena will issue me a degree, or open an online university called BTU? [cough]

At any rate, I hope that all this time and energy helps Sena produce a better product. It would help us and them with this beta testing if they labeled versions a bit more conscientiously.

-dan
Old 04-18-2012, 10:02 AM   #1473
AlecMyrddyn
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 213
Adam

Quote:
Originally Posted by danham View Post
At any rate, I hope that all this time and energy helps Sena produce a better product. It would help us and them with this beta testing if they labeled versions a bit more conscientiously.
+100!

What Dan said, I was struggling with how to put it.

Yes, I had to spend my time to research and "fix" this problem as an early adopter. But I got to use the new features sooner! If this had been an unknown bug, I could have helped Sena ID and correct it before it affected other users.

The only stale note in all this is that Sena was aware of the problem already, and had silently corrected it in such a way that no one knew. They left all of us early adopters hanging, running a known bad version of the software. How hard would it have been for them to update the filename to 4.0.1 and put an announcement on the website?

Shame on us for adopting early? Shame on Sena for not being as communicative as they should have been!

We knew the risks. What's their excuse?

-Alec
AlecMyrddyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 12:18 PM   #1474
Flameout
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 275
Thumb

Thanks Alec for your work here!

FOLLOW ME!
http://share.findmespot.com/shared/f...rytJ4p77xkQ75p
Flameout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 12:41 PM   #1475
radon222
1150GS-ADV

Oddometer: 344
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlecMyrddyn View Post
That's a problem I didn't have...

Make sure you delete the Sena profile from your phones before you re-sync them with the SMH-10s after the reset. Starting all devices from a blank slate seems to help. I did have problems with A2DP not working from my phone after the update, until I reset the pairing.

Note also that 4.0 defaults to "VOX Phone": when the phone is ringing, you can speak to answer. If you don't want this feature, you can turn it off from the Sena updater on the computer, or by entering the configuration menu:

1. Hold jog dial for 12 seconds until You hear double-beeps and "Configuration Menu"
2. Turn the dial clockwise until you hear "VOX Phone" (Should be the first thing you hear).
3. Tap the jog dial to disable.

To exit the menu, wait 10 seconds OR

1. Turn the dial until you hear "Exit Configuration".
2. Tap the phone button to exit.

These instructions start on page 15 of the new manual.
http://www.senabluetooth.com/downloa...SMH10-v4.0.pdf

-Alec
The one thing that I neglected to do when I flashed V. 4 was a factory reset on the units, so that alone might solve my problem. I did notice Vox was set for phone calls and was cool with that as it worked well with v3.3.

We first noticed the problem with my wife's unit on Saturday. She was stream music from her phone via BT. The music just stopped...when she said "What the...." Vox kicked in and she was suddenly talking to her sister in Missouri . But she never heard the phone ring.

Then last night really sealed the deal. I attended a local BMW club dinner gathering. During the 45 min ride home she tried calling me numerous times and I never heard the ringy ding dings or got any indication of an incoming call from the Sena.

At the time I was testing out a newly purchased IMC Camos BTA that I was using to pump XM out of the 3.5mm jack on my Zumo 550. There were few times the music seemed to drop for like a second..but that was it.
Old 04-18-2012, 12:44 PM   #1476
radon222
1150GS-ADV

Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketMoto View Post
Just my 2 Kopeks, worth...

Y'all could save yourself a *TON* of time and hassle by waiting **at least a month** after a new release comes out, prior attempting an update your existing product. I realize the temptation of getting the 'latest and greatest' can be overpowering, but often, it's much more of the former, and a lot less of the latter.

I guarantee that there will be bugs, problems, issues, anomalies, strange behavior, unexplainable circumstances, and just plain frustration, if you insist upon being on the bleeding edge. Software isn't perfect, and you will learn that quickly, if you jump in right away.

Having been in software development and engineering for longer than I care to think about, this is an inescapable reality. Your patience will reward you with a better experience.

Wait a month, or more - and spend more time riding and less time fiddling.

Yea but if we all waited a month, we'd still be doing the same thing..just a month from now
Old 04-18-2012, 12:58 PM   #1477
Oregonwinger66
Oregonwinger

Oddometer: 31
It appears the 4.0 manual is still the same identical file size. I haven't actually compared them word for word.
Oregonwinger66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 01:12 PM   #1478
AlecMyrddyn
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by radon222 View Post
The one thing that I neglected to do when I flashed V. 4 was a factory reset on the units, so that alone might solve my problem.
In the firmware update notes, I believe Sena actually states that performing a firmware update performs a factory reset already... So to have to do it again seems a little odd. Hope that you get your phone ringing issues solved!

-Alec
Old 04-18-2012, 02:46 PM   #1479
mpenner
Heavy Cruiser

Oddometer: 789
Quote:
Originally Posted by radon222 View Post
The one thing that I neglected to do when I flashed V. 4 was a factory reset on the units, so that alone might solve my problem. I did notice Vox was set for phone calls and was cool with that as it worked well with v3.3.

We first noticed the problem with my wife's unit on Saturday. She was stream music from her phone via BT. The music just stopped...when she said "What the...." Vox kicked in and she was suddenly talking to her sister in Missouri . But she never heard the phone ring.

Then last night really sealed the deal. I attended a local BMW club dinner gathering. During the 45 min ride home she tried calling me numerous times and I never heard the ringy ding dings or got any indication of an incoming call from the Sena.

At the time I was testing out a newly purchased IMC Camos BTA that I was using to pump XM out of the 3.5mm jack on my Zumo 550. There were few times the music seemed to drop for like a second..but that was it.
I have had this problem as well. There has been numerous instances where my wife has called me and I did not get any indication that I was getting a call. There have been a couple of times where I did get the ring indication, but more often than not, I am not getting it. My current hypothesis is that the ring volume has been turned down in this latest version of firmware, because the couple of times that I have heard it was when there was very little background noise. I do have VOX phone answer turned off. I have not had this problem before V4.0

I am also experiencing the intercom dropping issue, and will upgrade to the "new" V4.0 tonight.

2001 KLR 650
2003 V-Strom DL1000
mpenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 04:43 PM   #1480
levain
STILL Jim Williams

Oddometer: 6,938
successfully using a zumo 550 for voice prompts, iphone 4 for music/phone. Finally!

Oh, and today, I leaned my head over to scratch my neck. The Sena touched the armor on my jacket and turned off the music. I started playing around with it, and sure enough, I can now turn music on/off by keeping my hands on the bars, and touching my helmet to my shoulder Geeky, but works
1971 Lambretta DL
levain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 05:44 PM   #1481
TowPro
Healing time Sucks

Oddometer: 2,748
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Williams View Post
. I started playing around with it, and sure enough, I can now turn music on/off by keeping my hands on the bars, and touching my helmet to my shoulder Geeky, but works
Wow, thanks, I also have this problem and need to try it.
Old 04-19-2012, 03:51 AM   #1482
danham
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 268
I thought we got BT to avoid having to yell inside our helmets and make weird gestures and contortions to communicate [grin].

BTW, Dan Kim @ Sena says there is no new v4. The new file on the server, he says, is due to a typo in a filename. He also explained that during a 3- or 4-way intercom conference, all other BT functions are on hold. They should come back automatically when the conf ends, but if as I experienced with my SR10 that fails to happen, he says a tap on the SR10's pairing button should bring it back to life.

Road test today.

-dan
Old 04-19-2012, 06:53 AM   #1483
AlecMyrddyn
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by danham View Post
BTW, Dan Kim @ Sena says there is no new v4. The new file on the server, he says, is due to a typo in a filename.
A change in the filename wouldn't have resulted in what I found. Dan may have been told that it was just a filename change, but it's not true.

The 4/4/12 version of the 4.0 file I have is different than the 4/17 version.

Either my 4/4/12 file got corrupted somehow when it was downloaded, or someone at Sena made a mistake when 4.0 was launched and replaced the file on their site a few days after the release without telling anyone.

There are (at least) 2 versions of "4.0" firmware available, and from the reports here, at least one of those versions has bugs in it that cause intercom connections to drop. It might also cause low volume situations, or incoming calls to not ring through while using the intercom.

When I get home, I'll try to prove this to Sena by uploading the 4/4 copy to my ticket so they get a chance to examine it.

-Alec
Old 04-19-2012, 07:07 AM   #1484
radon222
1150GS-ADV

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpenner View Post
I have had this problem as well. There has been numerous instances where my wife has called me and I did not get any indication that I was getting a call. There have been a couple of times where I did get the ring indication, but more often than not, I am not getting it. My current hypothesis is that the ring volume has been turned down in this latest version of firmware, because the couple of times that I have heard it was when there was very little background noise. I do have VOX phone answer turned off. I have not had this problem before V4.0

I am also experiencing the intercom dropping issue, and will upgrade to the "new" V4.0 tonight.

Thanks! At least I know I wasn't the only one. I did the re-flash last night with the "new" image file, followed by another manual factory reset on both units. During the kitchen test, the Sena did ring in the headset when I called my cell from the house phone. But I haven't street tested it yet.
Old 04-19-2012, 11:12 AM   #1485
mpenner
Heavy Cruiser

Oddometer: 789
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpenner View Post

I did some playing around and have discovered why I am missing calls. With V4.0 the ring tone is played on top of the music (the music is turned down slightly and the ring tone is played at the same time). Given the "melodic" nature of the ring tone on the Sena and all of the background noise, I am often missing it. With the previous versions, when you are listening to music the music is completely muted and the ring tone is played when an incoming call is received. This is much harder to miss.

Technologically, it is cool what Sena did with V4.0 with the ring tone and music and many may consider this a great feature, but I am going back to V3.3 so that I do not miss phone calls.

2001 KLR 650
2003 V-Strom DL1000
mpenner is offline   Reply With Quote