ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-22-2012, 07:29 PM   #7531
schnabba
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,483
Quote:
Originally Posted by wb57 View Post
WTH????

Details required.
details are boring. me thinking i could ride an overloaded 800 through some really deep sand at the coast, not realizing the sand was actually deep and soft.... realizing it too late - not enough speed - crappy street tires - front dug in, bike tipped and flexed the knee.

i have strong knees and always wear good gear - so no tendon / ligament damage. i have done worse on a mountain bike actually.

some awesome people near the coast helped push me the rest of the way through the soft sand. if the city and the state don't maintain it - it's a private road down there, so they get washed out, really deep with sandy ruts. doing stuff i should not have been doing. a lot of fun though.

yes, the bike is fine. dammit. good health insurance at work - minimal cost to me. doesn't show up on the xray, barely shows up on an mri. other good thing is it appears i have really good bone density. nice.

it was an awesome week - so the minor blip at the end was ok. i even rode home - it didn't seem that bad. had an awesome ride all day, and that was good too.

could have been worse - 2 weeks now, and i can almost walk without crutches... i'll take it easy another few weeks so that it doesn't become dislocated - but i have had worse sprains that this break. at 44 things heal slower, and this is healing up quick - so that means it's not bad.

i could ride if i wanted, just want it to heal up nicely to prevent arthritic problems later.

crutches are fun - i'm getting pretty ladies to hold doors for me, getting into lines faster, cutting in front of people at the imax.... i'm milking this puppy for all it's worth baby!
Old 06-22-2012, 07:33 PM   #7532
schnabba
Beastly Adventurer

i learned the hard way about having proper gear and a broken ankle - so i am picky about boots - need to have certain types of protection and so does the gear.... i am sure this made a difference - the ankle was brusied, but because of all the protection of those boots it was just a bruise.

the knee pads in the suit helped some too. better knee braces would have done the trick - but i don't do motocross and decent ones are pricey. have thought a few times about getting some anyway.... they'd strap in nicely underneath the 'stitch, and i could remove the knee pads out of the suit.

no different than the injuries i used to get moutain biking.... some of those were worse and i'm still feeling the pain of them.

minor accident. back to the game.
Old 06-22-2012, 07:39 PM   #7533
easy_dualsport
Easy E

Oddometer: 388
Quote:
Originally Posted by lonewolf97 View Post
This one is EASY. Just ask Pete Deavers where it is.
Something about that description that makes me want to go out and grab it....

Raleigh, NC
ZR-7 2000
WR250R 2010
easy_dualsport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 08:51 PM   #7534
RevBill
Irreverent Reverend

Oddometer: 2,124
Glad you are okay Schnabba .. knee mail sent .. heal up quick and completely ..
RevBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 08:58 PM   #7535
schnabba
Beastly Adventurer

thanks - been 2 weeks, the doctor said not to put weight on it for at least 4 weeks - but since the muscles and tendons are ok - it's not that bad.... i'll be doing light excercises at 4 weeks and then at 8 will be full weight on one let.

might be riding again in 2 more weeks have to see what it feels like.
Old 06-22-2012, 09:54 PM   #7536
Flashback
Mommys Lil Monster

Oddometer: 3,079
Quote:
Originally Posted by schnabba View Post
i learned the hard way about having proper gear and a broken ankle - so i am picky about boots - need to have certain types of protection and so does the gear.... i am sure this made a difference - the ankle was brusied, but because of all the protection of those boots it was just a bruise.

the knee pads in the suit helped some too. better knee braces would have done the trick - but i don't do motocross and decent ones are pricey. have thought a few times about getting some anyway.... they'd strap in nicely underneath the 'stitch, and i could remove the knee pads out of the suit.

no different than the injuries i used to get moutain biking.... some of those were worse and i'm still feeling the pain of them.

minor accident. back to the game.
Them heavy as hell 800's will get you in the sand. What I had to do on the F800 was put my fat ass as far back as I could over the rear wheel and even then, even then, the only thing that kept me upright in coastal sand was the fact that I was running a front tire that was on the knobbie side (ok it was a knobbie but I managed to get 6,000 miles out of it).

Can't spend too much money on good functional gear. Can spend too little though. Glad you are not down over this and will heal up quickly. Milk the crutches for all they are worth.

I've often mulled using both a knee and neck brace when I dual sport my bikes. I DO put on a Thor compression suit when I go off road. Form fitting protection works so much better than loose jackets when you actually crash. The Thor impact rig will accept a neck brace and it's actually very comfortable.

Knees are the least protected of all areas and they take the greatest strain when you down a bike but don't crash it. Trying to hold up the F800 (heavy pig of a bike) several times I had wished for a knee brace as my legs torqued. What I'd like to get is something that straps on under my standard armored riding pants, something like this:

Now that I think of it, those beastly adventure bikes might be the most dangerous bikes out there because of the weight they carry and the situations we ride them into.

Flashback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 03:57 AM   #7537
wb57
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 6,972
Quote:
crutches are fun - i'm getting pretty ladies to hold doors for me, getting into lines faster, cutting in front of people at the imax.... i'm milking this puppy for all it's worth baby!
I'd absolutely think less of you if you didn't.

Heal quickly and glad the bike's okay.

Turning money into spent fossil fuels.
(Smiley crap is implied in all posts.)
wb57 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 04:00 AM   #7538
wb57
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 6,972
Quote:
Check your insurance. Some cover "durable medical equipment" and if you can get your doc to write a prescription for some Asterisk or CTi braces, you're all set.

The Asterisks I've bought for my son over the years are $600/pair and last for years even beating them up in the woods and on the track. I imagine they'd last forever on the street.

Turning money into spent fossil fuels.
(Smiley crap is implied in all posts.)
wb57 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 04:18 AM   #7539
lonewolf97
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,301
lonewolf97

Glad to know you will be riding again. Deep sand is tough to ride thru. Thin motorcycle tires just sink in and stick. Heavy bikes make it even harder. It must have painful getting the bike out see you back on the road soon.
Flashback. Looks like iron man with his gear on. Really cool!!
lonewolf97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 05:52 AM   #7540
easy_dualsport
Easy E

Grab #772

Quote:
Originally Posted by lonewolf97 View Post
This one is EASY. Just ask Pete Deavers where it is.

SBI Office Tryon Rd and Garner Rd

Off in a different direction...

Raleigh, NC
ZR-7 2000
WR250R 2010
Old 06-23-2012, 09:02 AM   #7541
chainslap
BlessedarethesicK

Oddometer: 763
Sorry to hear about your accident Walker. Hope you continue to heal quickly.

Yep. I was on leadmine. Traffic was insane with that accident at creedmore.

Yall have a nice weekend.
chainslap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 09:19 AM   #7542
easy_dualsport
Easy E

Tag #773

Who is Isham Chambers? The end of his road told me nothing and I could not get to the boundary.

--Easy

Raleigh, NC
ZR-7 2000
WR250R 2010

easy_dualsport screwed with this post 06-23-2012 at 10:46 AM Reason: First posted out of the TriTOR Boundary. Whoops. Changed it.
Old 06-23-2012, 09:35 AM   #7543
schnabba
Beastly Adventurer

eh - stuff happens. Can't worry about it, control is an illusion... and the universe makes fun of us all

Besides, it's hard to milk the whole "rockin the crutches" thing if your leg isn't really cracked! Now, I got me some shopping to do, and some pretty ladies to find who will hold doors open

good tip on the durable medical goods... I'll check aetna and see what I can get out of this thing!
Old 06-23-2012, 12:14 PM   #7544
Chad_NC
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,762
Walker glad to hear your spirits are up. I'm not riding for a different reason. Time is not on my side right now. Got the new tires on the bike, they are worn in ok, got the chain adjusted right after being to tight and not on the bike since
The crutch thing is a good idea, my doc offered me an electric wheelchair thingy. Maybe I should go for that

You got this via Crapatalk
Chad_NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 04:26 PM   #7545
schnabba
Beastly Adventurer

I used to not be a positive person , but that sucked so I changed. I have broken my ankle worse on a motorcycle and my wrist and arm even worse than he ankle.

Life has a few low moments - live for the other ones!

Ok - since I cannot ride - time for beer!