ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-22-2012, 08:56 PM   #8131
STBNE
Yamaha ADVenturer

Oddometer: 6,086
in terms of what i thought schnabba would like...since he is used to refined machinery thats based on modern designs...not trying to put your bike down as i've always liked the full dressers but they're heavy and slow off the line and their suspensions are cumbersome and lets face it the Vtwin aint no spring chicken and even with fuel injection its still lacks the power and refinement of 3 or more cylindered bikes...like Triumphs or Hondas and Yamahas ..BMWs etc...
STBNE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 09:17 PM   #8132
Flashback
Mommys Lil Monster

Oddometer: 3,079
More cylinders = more weight + more complexity = more crap to break and more maintenance to do just to keep up with smaller less maintenance intensive bikes. The bigger they are, the bigger the gas bills, the bigger the tire costs, the more expensive shop time is. Case in point...my 1994 pickup truck gets better gas mileage than some of the bikes that some of the taggers in this game ride. It hauls more stuff. It might be more reliable. And it costs less to maintain.

Americans are in love with bigger almost as if bigger = better. Aint necessarily the case though. If conspicuous consumption actually meant anything anymore America would still be tops. But it doesn't. Bigger just means more waste these days, especially when Bigger is put together with cheap chinese parts and sold at a cost that would make you believe that it was something of quality. You get less but you pay more.

I do give this guy props for trying on his 3,600 lb V 12. I'd ride it but I'd never want to own one. Top speed is just over 60 mph and boy howdy it get's less gas mileage than a Hummer.

Thumpers are #1. Elegant power in simplicity with still more room to improve on the age old design. The yellow 650 single managed 67 mpg on todays Uwharrie trip and it motored through dirt without a complaint on street tires plus ran between 80 and 90 on the highway as a normal cruizing speed. Did I mention 67 mpg? It'll haul as much junk as a 1200gs. And it pulls wheelies just fine too...no need for bigger when smaller works better.

There was a time when motorcycles were designed using principles of fine engineering and high quality manufacturing. That time is over. There was a time when you could expect that bigger was actually better. That time doesn't exist anymore. All you get anymore, even in expensive so-called "performance" bikes is a bunch of crappy parts that are going to break prematurely and cause you all kinds of headaches. Like everything else produced today, motorcycles have become "throw-away" purchases. The more you pay, the less lengthy a life that the bike will likely live. There are exceptions but those exceptions are becoming increasingly rare and hard to find.

Flashback screwed with this post 07-22-2012 at 09:46 PM
Flashback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 03:01 AM   #8133
wb57
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 6,749
Quote:
Originally Posted by lonewolf97 View Post
new tag # 817

Water tank, somewhere on the border near the ghost of a KS 125
Is that an inside joke or something???? If I'm missing some common knowledge here, just let me know. Think I calculated a round trip of the border once at around 350 miles. Think I'm going to need another clue(s).

Turning money into spent fossil fuels.
(Smiley crap is implied in all posts.)
wb57 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 03:18 AM   #8134
RidingDonkeys
Purveyor of Awesome

Oddometer: 7,951
Yep, what Flash said. The difference between my 67 Bonnie and my 73 CB750 is huge, in cylinders, weight, and maintenance. Hence the reason the CB never got a lot of love.

The Ural suffers from old school manufacturing and quality control, but it is amazingly easy to maintain and diagnose faults.

The new Bonnie is a technological nightmare. I just found out yesterday that it will not run if the battery outputs 12v. So I had to replace a good battery with a better one. Wrap your head around that one....:

I like my motos old and simple, but mainly simple. I will be buying a DR650 in the near future for that very reason.

Sent from my Droid 2 Global using Typotalk 2

Clinging to sanity, one motorcycle at a time.
RidingDonkeys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 03:28 AM   #8135
lonewolf97
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,234
lonewolf97

Clue is post # 8220
lonewolf97 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 04:45 AM   #8136
wb57
Beastly Adventurer

Got it. It's a place you used to ride a long time ago. Somewhere near one of the borders. Probably in Chatham County.

On my way...

Old 07-23-2012, 04:57 AM   #8137
lonewolf97
Beastly Adventurer

lonewolf97

Everyone has their own preferences in motorcycles. It's not in my southern upbringing to criticise someone else's ride. My grandmother used to take a hickory switch to my backside for such talk. Then she would make us cousins kiss and make up which is a more pleasant southern tradition we have.. now back to the game.
Old 07-23-2012, 05:23 AM   #8138
STBNE
Yamaha ADVenturer

Oddometer: 6,086
Quote:
Everyone has their own preferences in motorcycles. It's not in my southern upbringing to criticise someone else's ride. My grandmother used to take a hickory switch to my backside for such talk. Then she would make us cousins kiss and make up which is a more pleasant southern tradition we have.. now back to the game.
I'm not criticising your ride and I am not saying bigger is better...what i did say was that schnabba would prefer a bike thats has more refimement all around...thats all. Now lets get back to the tag...
STBNE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 06:59 AM   #8139
lonewolf97
Beastly Adventurer

Wink lonewolf97

I have a very pretty cousin that lived on piney grove church road. I used to take her for rides on my ks125. We would ride down to the river near her house to watch the submarine races.
Old 07-23-2012, 07:17 AM   #8140
RevBill
Irreverent Reverend

Oddometer: 2,112
Quote:
I have a very pretty cousin that lived on piney grove church road. I used to take her for rides on my ks125. We would ride down to the river near her house to watch the submarine races.

.. there's just sooooooooo much that could go wrong with any reply here .. but .. Piney Grove Church Road .. good ride ..

.. just leave it alone ..
RevBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 07:58 AM   #8141
schnabba
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,349
ok - eric convinced me - Goldwing it is! With lights all over it.... coming at ya like the Battlestar Galactica...

although a nifty thumper might be fun too.... would be a bit cheaper for sure.

and I still like lonewolf's harley. I'll probably own one at some point. Every bike I have ever had, I knew the limitations and good things going in. There are days it's nice to have a cruiser too!

ok - back to the game

Dang, I actually found the tag too!

schnabba screwed with this post 07-23-2012 at 08:11 AM
schnabba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 08:32 AM   #8142
hscrugby
"That guy"

Oddometer: 4,097
I'm insulting all yer bikes.

And you.
You all suck.
And your bikes support terrorism.

And the corruption of society.

Now back to trying to find a _(#$$@))@($* rear tire.
hscrugby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 09:04 AM   #8143
wb57
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by hscrugby View Post

You can have mine.

Oh... Does it need to hold air? If so, how good?

Old 07-23-2012, 10:21 AM   #8144
RidingDonkeys
Purveyor of Awesome

Oddometer: 7,951
I was going to sneak in to the Triangle to try to make a double grab, but I had way too much fun riding 158 up north.

So in the meantime, let's hear more about Lonewolf's hot cousin....

Maybe we'll have a picture by my next stop? :

Sent from my Droid 2 Global using Typotalk 2

Clinging to sanity, one motorcycle at a time.
RidingDonkeys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 10:43 AM   #8145
RevBill
Irreverent Reverend

Oddometer: 2,112
Quote:
Originally Posted by hscrugby View Post
I'm insulting all yer bikes.

And you.
You all suck.
And your bikes support terrorism.

And the corruption of society.

.. alright pal .. I'll be seeing you at the local dry cleaners .. as soon as you find a tire .. LOL ..

.. at least you didn't kick my dog .. now that would be uncalled for ..
RevBill is offline   Reply With Quote