ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-11-2012, 10:57 AM   #9571
wb57
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 6,560
If I have a decent 3G signal, I seem to be able to upload pics *almost* as fast as 4G.

Turning money into spent fossil fuels.
(Smiley crap is implied in all posts.)
wb57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 11:00 AM   #9572
Flashback
Mommys Lil Monster

Oddometer: 3,079
Yah. I'm not sure what all the fuss is about either. Now when air speeds get good, say as good as wired speeds, then I'll join in the hooha. Till then 3G or whatever else is just fine. I prefer to use wireless networks anyway because they are SO much faster than cellular data services.

I see the whole 4G thing as if someone is touting having a "5 miles an hour faster top speed" is big news. When cell companies take it to the next level and start competing in the same game with localized systems I'll pay attention. Till then it just seems to be a bunch of marketing folks trying to make everyone believe that slow is fast.

Now that I think of it, I'd rather not see cellular companies speed up any at all. It keeps all the bloatware on the smaller side and efficient code is good code.

But I guess that in the end some increase in speed for users is better than no increase in speed, esp if you depend on that for work or something.

Flashback screwed with this post 11-11-2012 at 11:20 AM
Flashback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 12:30 PM   #9573
hscrugby
"That guy"

Oddometer: 4,097
While I'm on 4g I'm getting 20-25 mb down. 10-15 up. That isn't "slightly faster"
It makes it viable to watch hd video etc from my phone. :)
Old 11-11-2012, 12:40 PM   #9574
wb57
Beastly Adventurer

Yeah, see, that's the point. I've got a TV. Why the hell would I want to watch motocross on my f'ing telephone? Nothing is all that important. Just more contribution to Short Attention Span Theater.

Just because you see a lever, doesn't mean you actually have to pull it. Show me a phone that'll make me a grilled cheese sandwich - WITH BACON - then I'll be impressed.

Old 11-11-2012, 01:19 PM   #9575
hscrugby
"That guy"

Oddometer: 4,097
Do you have a tv for when pooping?

If we had commuter rail it would be awesome. Or for uploading a video. Etc.
Old 11-11-2012, 01:22 PM   #9576
Flashback
Mommys Lil Monster

And while you are watching HD TV on your cell phone the battery is working so hard that you have to go plug it in.

Then it's not a cell phone anymore but an itty bitty TV screen attached to the wall.

I watch TV on a TV. I do my computing on towers. I take pictures with a camera that uses film canisters, has changeable lenses, macros, and good quality. I use a GPS to do GPSy things. I use my cell phone to make phone calls. And when I need to be productive on the go I use a laptop or tablet that has the get up and go to do what needs to be done without requiring I physically connect it to a wall.

IMHO Smart phones have their uses (like posting photos from the road when you just can't wait to do it from home) but they are really not good at anything, not even making phone calls anymore.

What cell phone manufacturers need to do is make email standard with regular phone service and leave it at that. Cell phones are not the answer to mobile computing needs nor do I see them ever being that answer.

I guess my feelings on cell phones are why I only spend $100 a year to own and use one and why my current cell phone only cost $40. I save sooo much money that way. I don't have cable either because I do not agree with the business model that the cable companies have adopted. AND we just, last week, canned our TV altogether. Gave it away because it was collecting dust. No longer have an all seeing eye in the house.

But I do have a record player....the real LP kind with changeable needles and adjustable speed. After living without one since CDs came into style I decided that I wanted real sound quality over sampled sound quality. Back to records for us.

Digital revolution be damned. I'm going analog.

Flashback screwed with this post 11-11-2012 at 01:36 PM
Old 11-11-2012, 01:44 PM   #9577
wb57
Beastly Adventurer

Mostly with you there. Still have about 2500 vinyl LPs. Sold one once (for about 30X) what I paid for it and I stop regret it. In the process of converting them to digital just for portability, but...

Old 11-11-2012, 01:47 PM   #9578
wb57
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by hscrugby View Post

I don't need or want a TV in the freaking bathroom. When would I get my reading and sudoku done???

Not a chance in hell I'll ever live, or want to live, where commuter rail is a viable option for me. I'd rather have to rely on a woods bike.

Old 11-11-2012, 02:06 PM   #9579
RidingDonkeys
Purveyor of Awesome

Oddometer: 7,629
Quote:
Do you spend that much time pooping? If so, may i suggest a change in diet?

Sent from the voices in my head and transcribed by their drinking buddy.
Old 11-11-2012, 02:09 PM   #9580
Flashback
Mommys Lil Monster

Quote:

I've got to disagree with WB on the commuter rail thing. I spent two years in the megalopolis of NYC living with a view of the water under the Verrazano Narrows bridge. My commute was 12 miles one way. It would take anywhere between 1.5 and 3 hours to drive it with other commuters.

Or I could do it in 1/4 of the time if I left the gas hog at home.

Bicycling was fun and healthy but NYC winters are cold and sometimes you just can't bike. So mass transit it was. I loved mass transit. Didn't drive a car once in the rest of the time I was there after I discovered the great freedoms that mass transit affords us.

As far as what to do on commuter rails...read a book. It's a lost art I know but it stimulates many more parts of the brain than watching videos does. Watching video actually depresses brain function to levels that are at and below the levels they maintain when asleep. It's really not good for our grey matter.

Old 11-11-2012, 02:17 PM   #9581
wb57
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flashback View Post
I've got to disagree with WB on the commuter rail thing. I spent two years in the megalopolis of NYC living with a view of the water under the Verrazano Narrows bridge. My commute was 12 miles one way. It would take anywhere between 1.5 and 3 hours to drive it with other commuters.
My point was that I wouldn't want to live anywhere subways are an option. Lived in the DC area for 25 years. I'm done. If they try to make this place a "light rail" place, I'm gone from here. If I lived in NYC, I wouldn't keep a vehicle in the city. BUT, screw that. Places like that have absolutely nothing I want. Zero.

Old 11-11-2012, 02:34 PM   #9582
mmonce
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 548

Grab - Larry's Beans

Great coffee. However, I roast, grind and siphon my own.
mmonce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 02:44 PM   #9583
wb57
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmonce View Post

Grab - Larry's Beans

Great coffee. However, I roast, grind and siphon my own.
Really? I've been thinking about that. Where do you get your beans from? What do you use for a roaster? I've read that a hot air popcorn popper actually works pretty well, but haven't tried it.

Old 11-11-2012, 02:46 PM   #9584
BlueM00se
'Cuse LAX Fan

Oddometer: 984
Quote:
Originally Posted by wb57 View Post
My point was that I wouldn't want to live anywhere subways are an option. Lived in the DC area for 25 years. I'm done. If they try to make this place a "light rail" place, I'm gone from here. If I lived in NYC, I wouldn't keep a vehicle in the city. BUT, screw that. Places like that have absolutely nothing I want. Zero.
I don't think light rail will ever work in this area. For mass transit to be truely effective large places of employment and large concentrations of housing have to be centralized. If you don't have that you end up having to drive on one end or another of the commute or take hours making connections. I lived in Portland OR where they had light rail but to use it I would have had to drive to a bus stop take a bus to the train and then walk .5 miles to work. My commute that was 40 minutes by car would be 90 minutes plus. And walking 1/2 mile in the Portland rain! :(
Rodney Atkins from "Take A Back Road"
BlueM00se is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 03:12 PM   #9585
mmonce
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 548
Roasting via Whirley-Pop

Quote:
Originally Posted by wb57 View Post
Really? I've been thinking about that. Where do you get your beans from? What do you use for a roaster? I've read that a hot air popcorn popper actually works pretty well, but haven't tried it.
I use a Whirley-Pop Stovetop Popcorn Popper. Look for youtube videos. Takes about 8-10 minutes to roast 1/2 lb. Stinks up the whole house, however who doesn't like the smell of coffee.
mmonce is offline   Reply With Quote