raized1199
n00b

Oddometer: 2
Thank you, thank you, thank you!
Old 01-20-2011, 01:49 PM   #107
dentvet
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,280
i hope i'm not mucking up your thread too much.

I have been playing with the rear wheels for fun. the pic shows 4 options that i have on hand.

19 inch ktm dirt wheel assy 26#
18 inch ktm dirt assy 27#
17 inch ktm sumo assy 29#
17 inch ninja oem assy 34#

also weighed forks,triple, front wheel, brake assy

ninja oem plus headlight and clocks 64#
ktm oem dirtbike 57#

mocked up the ktm sumo wheel on the ninja and by my math, it's at least 8mm left of centerline when the sprocket is in alignment. was this your situation as well?
dentvet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 10:07 AM   #108
sanjoh OP
Purveyor of Light

Oddometer: 4,863
Quote:
Originally Posted by dentvet View Post
was this your situation as well?
Yes left of center, plan on spacing the sprocket to correct but that was 14k miles ago
sanjoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 09:38 AM   #109
ONandOFF
-ROAD-

Oddometer: 5,536
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanjoh View Post
...The xr is already porky...
I love what you're doing with this bike - top notch workmanship and technical skills!
I was a bit taken aback at your comment with respect to the XRL, though. I believe if you tried following me on our mountain forest roads around here, you would reconsider which of our bikes merits that description more

Here's one by my friend Skippii:
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=577613
for entertainment purposes only
Let's ride!!! - No offense, but there've been a lot of people over time who were just as sure, yet got it wrong. - Una necedad, aunque la repitan millones de bocas, no deja de ser una necedad. - "you know that I could have me a million more friends and all I'd have to lose is my point of view" (Prine)
ONandOFF is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 06:33 PM   #110
sanjoh OP
Purveyor of Light

Quote:
Originally Posted by ONandOFF View Post
I love what you're doing with this bike - top notch workmanship and technical skills!
Thanks!

Quote:
I was a bit taken aback at your comment with respect to the XRL, though.
That was my experience with the L. I rode 500miles one way to an ADV event, three days of off road at the event, 500miles home, it worked great off road but the road part was nasty. Sold that bike the next week.

Quote:
I believe if you tried following me on our mountain forest roads around here, you would reconsider which of our bikes merits that description more
Where are you from? I love to ride, especially mountains.

I did a 6k mile trip this summer, let's see your L follow me on a 750 mile day, then do some single track

I built the bike for comfortable long distance while still maintaining some off road capability. It works reasonably well but by definition is a compromise.

Old 02-09-2011, 07:53 AM   #111
ONandOFF
-ROAD-

Oddometer: 5,536
Oh yeah! It does look great for what you made it for. It's similar in purpose to a midsize KTM or BMW adventure bike. I do as little road as possible on the XRL, that's not what I got the bike for,. It does handle fine on the road but it's set up for trail - geared down, lightened up, real knobbies, zero wind protection, zero road comforts - so I dont' take it very far on asphalt. I have another very fine performing bike for the asphalt. To ride a bike in the National Forest roads, it must be street-legal, hence dual-sport. But this is one end of the dual-sporting spectrum, I'll say the dirt end, whereas you're on what I'll say the street end. Now I won't argue the XRL might be "porky" compared to the 250 - 450's, which are more ideal for the kind of dirt riding I like here, but in all honesty, I couldn't quite picture choosing yours to tackle this kind of terrain. I'm sure a good rider could work it through with great care, but I prefer not to have anybody waiting for me to catch up. I suspect I could rig the L for travelling, then have no problem with long road miles and that smooth, easy, pretty single track trail - which looks so inviting especially since I haven't been out riding in the woods or seen leaves on trees for a while now. If you're ever up this way (Harrisonburg is along I-81), give a hollar and we can meet up!

Me (BLUEThunder)

Me (PSUcanary)

Me (mtnflow)

(Skippii)

(badguy)

Let's ride!!! - No offense, but there've been a lot of people over time who were just as sure, yet got it wrong. - Una necedad, aunque la repitan millones de bocas, no deja de ser una necedad. - "you know that I could have me a million more friends and all I'd have to lose is my point of view" (Prine)
ONandOFF is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 09:46 AM   #112
johnwesley
wanta be

Oddometer: 1,542
Talking

don't really see that being a problem for a proper built rat is all in the rider. My pig of a bike could bomb down that and has seen a lot of that type terrain and it is heavier than the rat bikes built here. I have a over weight 08klr that has enough junk added to it to push it to 450+ lbs.

I ride my bike to places I like to ride off road, and often that includes crossing several state lines. Yea I have a nice road bike but wouldn't want it where I take the pig. So when going on a trip i am not limited to just nice roads. So this build is a nice bike for that and set up properly would have no issues with that type of terrain.
johnwesley is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 10:59 PM   #113
Petrolburner
Noise Maker

Oddometer: 544
Thumb

Excellent build! I'm thinking about putting a 650 motor in my KLX frame next winter if I feel the need for better road manners after this season.
Old 05-16-2011, 12:31 AM   #114
EnduroRdr
Woods Racer & D/S Rider

Oddometer: 665
I love the dirt Ninja! I really love the way yours turned out. Many times a converted street bike to dual sport kinda leaves something to be desired. Yours not only looks great it seems to work well too.

I also know they are always a work in progress. Keep us posted on "your" progress.

I had similar visions only I did mine with a cx500. Low entry cost and well over a year modding it so far. But I am pleased with it's performance.

The build story - http://www.twtex.com/forums/showthread.php?t=46633

Latest D/S-CX ride report (includes video from the D/S-CX in action) - http://www.twtex.com/forums/showthread.php?t=58977

EnduroRdr screwed with this post 05-16-2011 at 12:36 AM
EnduroRdr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 09:14 PM   #115
taco250
wannabe adventurer

Oddometer: 1,329
Quote:
Originally Posted by EnduroRdr View Post
I love the dirt Ninja! I really love the way yours turned out. Many times a converted street bike to dual sport kinda leaves something to be desired. Yours not only looks great it seems to work well too.

I also know they are always a work in progress. Keep us posted on "your" progress.

I had similar visions only I did mine with a cx500. Low entry cost and well over a year modding it so far. But I am pleased with it's performance.

The build story - http://www.twtex.com/forums/showthread.php?t=46633

Latest D/S-CX ride report (includes video from the D/S-CX in action) - http://www.twtex.com/forums/showthread.php?t=58977

ER, just finished reading your build report on the cx500. I too wish I had a lathe and mill at my disposal like you do. They would sure make it simpler to customize. I also like the low cost entry bike idea but dealing with carbs makes me lean toward a Ninja650. Have you tried to weigh your CX? Regardless, seeing the imagination and creativity you both have shown with your builds is inspiring. It reminds me that I don't have to settle for using something that's "off the shelf" if really don't want to. THANK YOU!

www.benddualsport.com

300+ mile Paisley OR day ride
taco250 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 06:18 AM   #116
sanjoh OP
Purveyor of Light

Thought I'd post an update after a recent 1300 mile DS trip, read about it here.

Dirt Ninja is nearing 24k miles. First valve check done with 2 intakes OOS. I hate shim under bucket!

New shock has corrected the tailward tendencies. The seat height is a bit over 36" yep its tall. Good news is the steering is much more effective with the decreased rake

I couldn't do this with the old CBR shock, a weeks worth of stuff for camping on the back.

Finally getting comfortable with the new 908rr rear tire.

Walking bridge you say

Windscreen changed out for one from a BMW 650 Dakar. Highly recommended

Taking a break.
Old 09-14-2011, 08:06 PM   #117
ktmklx
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 688
Updates look good, what did you end up using for a shock?
ktmklx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 09:22 PM   #118
hendikaf
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 518
bike

Bike looks good and definitevely a great alternative too actual market , not a great test will be a ride across Africa with me ....Hint Hint ...

www.HendiKaf.com
hendikaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 03:05 PM   #119
pjm204
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,980
So I picked up my donor ninja this weekend. I'm going to start sourcing parts. Still trying to decide what rear wheel to go with, what front end to go with, and what to do with the exhaust. I've been riding the bike as is all weekend an it seems like a great platform for it.

Picked up an 08 with 18 miles on it, minor fairing scratches but otherwise as new. $2000, score. Hoping to sell the fairings, wheels, forks, headlight separately.

Any suggestions for components to use? I looked for 08+ KLR forks but they appear to be pretty pricey, for the price KTM forks seem like a smarter option. Also thinking about dr650, xr650r, or drz400 forks. I just want something I won't have to do a lot of guess work on.
pjm204 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 04:17 PM   #120
sanjoh OP
Purveyor of Light

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjm204 View Post
Any suggestions for components to use? I looked for 08+ KLR forks but they appear to be pretty pricey, for the price KTM forks seem like a smarter option. Also thinking about dr650, xr650r, or drz400 forks. I just want something I won't have to do a lot of guess work on.
What type of riding are you wanting to do? That usually impacts the direction of the build.