User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-25-2010, 05:01 PM   #1
mikesova OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,833
Honda VT500C Shadow

I just sold my 82 CM250C and thought I wanted to get a small thumper dual sport, but have since decided that I would like to get a road bike that can do some small touring (image traveling from mid-michigan to the bridge/UP or something like that) I already have an XR200 for doing trails. Locally there is a 1986 Honda VT500C Shadow for sale. I'm not really partial to cruisers, but this one doesn't look "too cruisery". I have ridden my brother in laws 2003ish Honda Shadow Aero and I really don't like the forward controls, but this Shadow doesn't look too bad. I assume it's like most other UJMs. What attracted me is that it's a 500 so it's a little bigger and more powerful than the 250 and it's shaft drive so I don't have to mess around with the chain. This particular bike has 8,000 miles. From what I can tell the owner bought it, had his buddy tune it up, change the oil, and put new tires on it. He then proceeded to drop it in his driveway, denting the tank, knocking the turn signal off, breaking some plastic trim around the gauges and dinging up the headlight case. Apparently he got scared off and wants to get rid of it now, so now his buddy is selling it for him. They are asking 950$ Does this sound like a good price and is this a good bike? I am mainly looking for something that won't get blown around like that cm250 and will be comfortable to ride for 4-5 hours. Any opinions are appreciated. Are there any issues with this bike, like electrical or something of that nature and would it make a good road ADV bike? I'm thinking I could now go on some rides with my brother in law with his shadow.

I think I'm going to try and test ride it tomorrow. BRR. :)

Here's some pics:

mikesova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2010, 05:21 PM   #2
Hughlysses
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,249
It looks like a very nice bike, and that price sounds like a deal to me. My knowledge comes from my 1983 VT500FT Ascot, which is basically a "standard"/streetracker version of the same bike. The 500cc V-twin has decent power and a wide power band, and gets decent mileage. Wear parts like clutch plates, brake pads, oil filters, etc. are easy to get from Honda or aftermarket suppliers. Some Honda factory parts are starting to become unavailable, but you really shouldn't need much of that sort of thing unless you wreck the bike. You see a lot of these bikes parted out on ebay, which can be a good source for parts. Since many more Shadows were built than Ascots, used parts are more plentiful.

The main significant weak point with these bikes is the ignition coils. After ~27 years of baking in the heat above the engine, many of them break down. This manifests as a miss-fire at wide open throttle above 5000 RPM, or especially as difficulty cranking when hot. OEM coils are still available from Honda or aftermarket coils are available from Dyna (which require a little work to fit). If your bike ever exhibits these symptoms, buy new coils (don't waste your money on used ones).

Another thing to watch out for is the "power chamber" in the exhaust system. It's located between the header pipes and the mufflers, and is mounted under the frame in front of the rear wheel. It adds volume to the exhaust system to improve the exhaust tuning. The bottom of the chamber sometimes rusts out. An OEM replacement from Honda (IF available) costs over $400. The best fix is to take it to your local muffler shop and ask them to cut out any rotted sections and weld or braze in new metal.

We have an Ascot Group over on Yahoo, but there are quite a few Shadow riding members too. It's a good source of info for keeping these bikes running. Check it out at: http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/...00enthusiasts/
Old 03-25-2010, 05:37 PM   #3
mikesova OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hughlysses
It looks like a very nice bike, and that price sounds like a deal to me. My knowledge comes from my 1983 VT500FT Ascot, which is basically a "standard"/streetracker version of the same bike. The 500cc V-twin has decent power and a wide power band, and gets decent mileage. Wear parts like clutch plates, brake pads, oil filters, etc. are easy to get from Honda or aftermarket suppliers. Some Honda factory parts are starting to become unavailable, but you really shouldn't need much of that sort of thing unless you wreck the bike. You see a lot of these bikes parted out on ebay, which can be a good source for parts. Since many more Shadows were built than Ascots, used parts are more plentiful.

The main significant weak point with these bikes is the ignition coils. After ~27 years of baking in the heat above the engine, many of them break down. This manifests as a miss-fire at wide open throttle above 5000 RPM, or especially as difficulty cranking when hot. OEM coils are still available from Honda or aftermarket coils are available from Dyna (which require a little work to fit). If your bike ever exhibits these symptoms, buy new coils (don't waste your money on used ones).

Another thing to watch out for is the "power chamber" in the exhaust system. It's located between the header pipes and the mufflers, and is mounted under the frame in front of the rear wheel. It adds volume to the exhaust system to improve the exhaust tuning. The bottom of the chamber sometimes rusts out. An OEM replacement from Honda (IF available) costs over $400. The best fix is to take it to your local muffler shop and ask them to cut out any rotted sections and weld or braze in new metal.

We have an Ascot Group over on Yahoo, but there are quite a few Shadow riding members too. It's a good source of info for keeping these bikes running. Check it out at: http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/...00enthusiasts/
I'd like a low maintenance bike if could get one. Do you think because of it's age it would be more prone to breaking down? I figured 8k miles wasn't too much for a liquid cooled bike.
Old 03-25-2010, 06:05 PM   #4
Hughlysses
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikesova
I'd like a low maintenance bike if could get one. Do you think because of it's age it would be more prone to breaking down? I figured 8k miles wasn't too much for a liquid cooled bike.
If you replace the coils (~$150 investment) it's pretty much as reliable as any modern bike out there.

Other than changing fluids and filters, the only routine maintenance required is adjusting the valves (screw and nut adjustment, no shims required) every ~8,000 miles or so (I forget the factory recommended interval). It's an easy bike to work on. With only 8000 miles on the clock, it's probably good for another 42,000 or more if you make any effort to take care of it.
Old 03-25-2010, 06:44 PM   #5
mikesova OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
If you replace the coils (~$150 investment) it's pretty much as reliable as any modern bike out there.

Other than changing fluids and filters, the only routine maintenance required is adjusting the valves (screw and nut adjustment, no shims required) every ~8,000 miles or so (I forget the factory recommended interval). It's an easy bike to work on. With only 8000 miles on the clock, it's probably good for another 42,000 or more if you make any effort to take care of it.
Would you replace the coils on a perfectly functioning bike just as a precaution?
Old 03-26-2010, 01:22 AM   #6
Hughlysses
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikesova
Would you replace the coils on a perfectly functioning bike just as a precaution?
I wouldn't necessarily do it first thing, but I'd plan on it. The coils generally don't fail suddenly, and aren't likely to strand you with no warning. Worst case is you might stop to get gas on a hot day this summer and have difficulty re-starting the bike until it cools down.

You can even get by with weak coils (at least for a year or two) by reducing the spark plug gap to the minimum recommended width. The bike has two spark plugs per cylinder which are connected electrically in series. Reducing the spark plug gap reduces the voltage requirement for the coils and will make it easier for the coils to fire which helps when they start to get weak.
Old 03-26-2010, 05:09 AM   #7
plugeye
mc caregiver

Oddometer: 3,480
if it was me, streamline the rearend/ fit a solo saddle/ sport style bars.
the only drawback for me is water-coolin, but i'd deal with it.
keep the exhaust stock, sounds good muted. this 500 v-twin is one sweet motor. like the shaft-drive too. i had a vt500ft for a short time, it had a 6-spd & 9k or 10k redline.
jump on it.
plugeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2010, 05:21 AM   #8
mikesova OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by plugeye
keep the exhaust stock, sounds good muted. this 500 v-twin is one sweet motor. like the shaft-drive too. i had a vt500ft for a short time, it had a 6-spd & 9k or 10k redline.
jump on it.
Yeah, I would way rather have the ascot, as i'm not a huge fan of that half sissy bar thing at the back of the seat. I hope those controls aren't too forward. Meh, If I don't like it, I won't get it. I just would like a reliable bike that requires little maintenance.
Old 03-26-2010, 06:19 AM   #9
plugeye
mc caregiver

Oddometer: 3,480
Quote:
The 500cc V-twin has decent power and a wide power band
i'm surprised just how wide the powerband is, you can ride it like a cruiser or dial it up near the top & it performs & moves very well.
i'd still have the ascot if it fit me better.
plugeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2010, 06:26 AM   #10
mikesova OP
Beastly Adventurer

If they are asking 950$ and it runs and looks good, what would be a good lowball to throw at him that won't cause him to take a swing at me . I don't NEED the bike and the main reason why i'm interested is that it's less than 5 miles from my house and it's a small shaft drive. I would like the bike if I got a screaming deal on it. I want to be able to easily sell it for what I have into it, if I so choose to.

I'm kind of impulsive, if you haven't gathered that yet. I'm still trying to determine if I want a street oriented bike or a bigger dual sport that's nice on the road.
Old 03-26-2010, 06:35 AM   #11
soboy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,286
Lowball offer - $500. Tell him the damage he did plus the new coils will cost you more than that to fix. Bring cash. Nice bike, btw!
"Reason takes a holiday as Dr. Horrible spends money he doesn't have, on a motorcycle he doesn't need, in a misguided attempt to recapture his youth which, upon reflection, wasn't all that great in the first place."
"Ride to the bar in your pirate outfit, guzzle some beer, play "Free Bird' on the juke box and then go home. Badass."
soboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2010, 09:23 AM   #12
mikesova OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by soboy
Lowball offer - $500. Tell him the damage he did plus the new coils will cost you more than that to fix. Bring cash. Nice bike, btw!
that sounds about right for an old honda cruiser. I have decided to reschedule due to less than 40 degree weather today. Next week will be 70
Old 03-26-2010, 11:39 AM   #13
geo-k
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 100
I have a '84 VT500C. Paid $1,000 for it because it was the only half way decent bike I could find with a valid legit title in my area.
Had mushroomed valve tips (suspect it was from aftermarket exhaust), and somebody here likened early Honda valve hardness to lumpy mash potatoes. So, I would check valve clearance to see how they look.
Sight glass on front master cylinders goes opaque, and mine was replaced with a dime.
Also have seen issues with cooling system with some online posts. My water pump housing weeps a little bit, and the fan doesn't want to kick on.
Also had notchy feeling steering head bearing.
This one looks great. If you don't mind the look, get it.
You could probably change out the seat for a -83-84 and lose the back rest look, and maybe switch to a flatter bar (you could also switch to a more modern master cylinder in the process).
It is tough as hell to find decent runners in my area for under $1k. They go quick, so move it or lose it.
If you have any specific questions on VT500's, feel free to PM me.
Old 03-26-2010, 02:51 PM   #14
Hughlysses
Beastly Adventurer

I forgot about the master cylinder sight glass; that is a common problem. Mine finally disintegrated and started leaking. I got a replacement piece of glass for $15 from these guys: http://www.newrivercyclesalvage.com/sight%20glass.html

Better than new!
Old 03-26-2010, 03:10 PM   #15
Silver King
Maita'i roa ae!

Oddometer: 1,801
Quote:
Originally Posted by plugeye
jump on it.
+1 Change ANYTHING on that motor and it's going to cause you eternal pain. I hate hate hate hate hate hate that version of the Shadow. HATE!!! The carbs have to be twisted off of a very non-compliant rubber manifold to get to the jets. Each carb has a different jet. Then there's the spark plug issue. Two plugs per head. The rear cylinder clean up plug is buried deep deep inside the head and requires some fancy wrench work to get it out. The CDI went bad on mine and had a hell of a time finding one that worked. IIRC, the Ascot will work but you need to get creative with it.

I should specify that 1) I bought this bike from a motorcycle mechanic that couldn't fix it (Duh....but I was young) 2) the carbs had Uni pods and an aftermarket exhaust.

I eventually fixed it to running but the mixture problem drove me to the edge of insanity.

Spend your money on something cooler like a CB750.

Here's two shitty pics of my self-inflicted nightmare:

Silver King is offline   Reply With Quote