User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-29-2014, 08:13 AM   #1
Keithert OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 765
How is AMA Towing?

After buying a 98 Ural recently I renewed my AMA membership with towing. Call me paranoid! What experiences have you folks had with the AMAs towing service, good or bad?
1998 Ural Deco
Keithert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2014, 08:58 AM   #2
pretbek
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 984
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keithert View Post
After buying a 98 Ural recently I renewed my AMA membership with towing. Call me paranoid! What experiences have you folks had with the AMAs towing service, good or bad?
Second-hand account:
I heard from a friend who was touring with 2 others that they had to call AMA to tow a stranded bike, and they wouldn't even come out. The group ended up paying $300 for a regular tow truck service.
I didn't get the details why they didn't even come, I will have to ask him when I see him again.

Edit:
Super-quick Google search, this is from http://www.badweatherbikers.com/buel...tml?1404240476
"Finally...After all this bs I looked at my insurance policy and saw I had towing....called geico and An hour later a tow truck came....and as we were loading the bike....After almost 18 hours...AMA came thru."

This thread asked the same question, there are good and bad experiences with them.
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=790835

pretbek screwed with this post 10-29-2014 at 09:03 AM
pretbek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2014, 09:19 AM   #3
flei
queasy rider

Oddometer: 642
Used it once (for the bike) with no problems. Flatbed came in 45", towed me to nearest BMW dealer (10 miles). No $$ charged for the service. I did have to be assertive with the operator on the phone who insisted my location (according to my cell phone) was on the Interstate, though I was actually on a surface street that was near the highway.
Old 10-29-2014, 09:25 AM   #4
windblown101
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 673
One jump start for the bike, one lock-out on my truck. And it's free with comp+ & auto-renewal so I ain't complaining. ;)

One thing to keep in mind: The service is for breakdowns, lock-outs, out of gas, etc. They do not cover towing due to a crash. Found this out when my daughter hit a bear in her car while I was with her.
Old 10-29-2014, 09:31 AM   #5
outlaws justice
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,086
First hand account

I was riding from Kentucky, on a Sunday Morning, Heading across Ohio, engine went (Hole in the block from no. 3 letting go) on my BMW, Never used it before, called the number on my membership card, within 15 minutes they had a truck to me that was set up for bikes, had a condor stand on wheels. Strapped the bike to the stand, winched it onto the truck, tied it down. AMA was willing to get me to the nearest BMW shop, but nothing was open on Sunday, so I had them take me to the tow yard, where I waited 6 hours for my brother-in-law to get to me with my truck. No charge or cost to me.

Great experience.
Old 10-29-2014, 09:57 AM   #6
sdmichael
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 594
AAA has towing for motorcycles as well. It is an add-on to the standard coverage but well worth it. They will tow 100 miles regardless of the reason. It also covers ANY vehicles so long as the member is there. It doesn't have to be owned by the member.
Old 10-29-2014, 10:05 AM   #7
JustRon
ex-broadwayron

Oddometer: 1,067
Used it once for my truck... tire blew off the rim on the Verrazano (!) and I had a bike in the back. AMA towing worked fine- dispatched a local tower and he took me where I wanted to go (within 15 miles, I think).
It's cheaper for me than Progressive charging $10 per vehicle (as I usually have 3-4 at any time).
Old 10-29-2014, 10:56 AM   #8
SAC650R
Adventurer

Oddometer: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdmichael View Post
AAA has towing for motorcycles as well. It is an add-on to the standard coverage but well worth it. They will tow 100 miles regardless of the reason. It also covers ANY vehicles so long as the member is there. It doesn't have to be owned by the member.
You can also get regular aaa to work if you own a bike that is made by someone who also makes cars. I found that out by accident, didn't even know there was a restriction on bikes. I called in a flatbed for a red honda with a seized engine and they came.
SAC650R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2014, 11:05 AM   #9
aldend123
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 234
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdmichael View Post
I believe this varies depending on your region. I spoke with AAA of Southern New England and was told there was no coverage option that would result in motorcycle coverage. I think this was in 2011, maybe it has changed since?
Old 10-29-2014, 11:17 AM   #10
Offcamber
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,711
Quote:
Originally Posted by aldend123 View Post
I believe this varies depending on your region. I spoke with AAA of Southern New England and was told there was no coverage option that would result in motorcycle coverage. I think this was in 2011, maybe it has changed since?

Check that again....I have AAA and I have the extra coverage for RV and Motorcycle....I live in NH and I have Northern New England AAA. Surprising that is that different state to state...
Old 10-29-2014, 11:39 AM   #11
BikePilot
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 11,243
I have AAA for my cages. There's a box to check to add moto coverage. I didn't b/c it's not a huge concern for me (reliable bikes + I have a wife and pickup truck ). I'd probably place AAA bike coverage if I were touring, particularly if on something of somewhat questionable reliability.

Summer 2009 Ride Report http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...1509c&t=507038
Summer 2008 RR. http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=367703
BikePilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2014, 12:13 PM   #12
DaLunk
Confused and Bemused

Oddometer: 629
A private tow operator told me that they get work from both AAA and AMA and that the difference is that AAA is the economic Big Dog that tends to get priority. They simply provide more income to the tow company than the AMA. I don't know if that's true or if he just prefers AAA, but it's what he told me. I take it with a grain of salt.
Old 10-29-2014, 12:33 PM   #13
PFFOG
Richard Alps-aholic

Oddometer: 2,284
Who do they contract with?? If Like AARP, BMW, and many others roadside will work ok if around populated areas, but rural areas pack a tent and provisions. I think the ones mentioned deal through Allstate.

The thing AAA has is they have operators all over the place, every bumfrick town and can get there in a decent time. A buddy with a new BMW had an accident in rural VA and we tried to get BMW Roadside, first problem the operator could not understand that there was no house numbers, telephone poles or cross roads for miles. I pinpointed the location by GPS, she still could not comprehend it. When I did finally get her to figure out where we were, the best they could do was a tow operator over 100 miles away. An hour from dark and a strong front with wind rain and lightning and NO shelter for 15 miles that was not an option.

We got some ADVrider help with a couple phone calls in about 30 minutes. ADV good Samaritan assistance rules!
PFFOG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2014, 02:31 PM   #14
danh600
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 318
I have used AMA once. Went to my garage and my back tire on my bike was flat. Called AMA and they had a truck there within a few hours. Took it to my dealer. No problems.

Now AAA that's a different story.

I had an old maxim. It started getting some electrical problems as it got older. Twice it left me on the road. Both times it took AAA at least 4 hours to get me a tow truck. I was not in a remote area.

Then my wife got a flat. She didn't feel confident trying to change the tire on the side of the road. Called AAA. They said it would be a few hours. I left work. Changed the tire roadside. Took the vehicle to a tire shop. Had it repaired. Went back to the house. This all took about 3 hours. AAA called and said they would have a tow truck on the way within the next couple of hours. I told them don't bother and cancel my membership.

Sitting on the side of the road for 4+ hours when you are in a decent size city is not adequate service.

Now I just have AMA which includes my cars too.
danh600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2014, 04:57 PM   #15
concours
WFO for 41 years

Oddometer: 5,320
Quote:
Originally Posted by offcamber View Post
check that again....i have aaa and i have the extra coverage for rv and motorcycle....i live in nh and i have northern new england aaa. Surprising that is that different state to state...
+1

WITHOUT the RV/mowersickle adder, they wouldn't even give me a gallon of gas when I ran my Victry dry.