Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > The perfect line and other riding myths
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-27-2015, 08:55 AM   #1
Soldier311 OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,837
Aggressive drivers are gonna be the death of me!

...even in my cage! Travelling in to work this morning here in Raleigh, NC where we had a major winter storm night before last and remaining icy roads and poor driving conditions...tailgating MF'ers in their F250's and such, jinking in and out of traffic left and right attempting to get one more car-length ahead of everyone else because their time is more important than everyone else's....all the while ignoring the spun-out cars in the median here and there along their route.
WTF is a responsible driver to do? Seriously. I think I need to find me some slow-ass back road route to work that will take me 2 hrs. rather than the typical 50 minutes on the freeway. It may add a couple of hours a day to my commute, but I may actually live to make it to retirement.
I need me a mall cop and some road rage in a bottle.
Old 02-27-2015, 08:58 AM   #2
Callisto224
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,059
I drove my son to school this morning and, on the way home, some of the drivers were so bad I turned off the main road so I could take the long back roads home.

It didn't help. Lots of crappy drivers there too!

2009 1200GS
Callisto224 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2015, 09:00 AM   #3
Teckel
As If I Care

Oddometer: 3,442
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soldier311 View Post
...even in my cage! Travelling in to work this morning here in Raleigh, NC where we had a major winter storm night before last and remaining icy roads and poor driving conditions...tailgating MF'ers in their F250's and such, jinking in and out of traffic left and right attempting to get one more car-length ahead of everyone else because their time is more important than everyone else's....all the while ignoring the spun-out cars in the median here and there along their route.
WTF is a responsible driver to do? Seriously. I think I need to find me some slow-ass back road route to work that will take me 2 hrs. rather than the typical 50 minutes on the freeway. It may add a couple of hours a day to my commute, but I may actually live to make it to retirement.
Teckel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2015, 09:03 AM   #4
Soldier311 OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,837
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teckel View Post
That's about the most cerebral response I'd expect out of you....bruh!
Old 02-27-2015, 09:04 AM   #5
ridelife1
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,234
Get the hell out of the fast lane!
Old 02-27-2015, 09:06 AM   #6
ozmoses
Ride On

Oddometer: 3,595
Quote:
Sooner or later, 4x4 and awd SUV badasses learn the same inevitable truth about traction...generally, it's a funny thing to witness.

signed-

Former 4x badass
Old 02-27-2015, 09:42 AM   #7
phillyrube
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,186
Yep.....yesterday morning I was riding the ambulance at 0600, and we we had 5" on the ground, with 5" more expected. I leave the house at 0400, heading across the James River Bridge , maybe a lane has been driven in, not plowed. I'm doing 20-30 in the Ford Edge AWD. Some knucklehead in a lifted truck with illegal HID headlights comes barreling up on me and hits his brights to move over. So I slide a bit to the right and look in the mirror to see the entire driver's side of his truck as he starts spinning and bounces off the concrete railing next to the water.....

Anyone wanna buy a pickup with shitstains on the seat?

Local news shows some idiot who hung his Escalade on the guardrail near Harbor Park off 264.

Yup, that 4WD is good stuff.

Good shift on the box, no accidents. No cars on the road, and one drunk who fell in the parking lot of Miss Kitty's and split his head. he was a nice drunk, tho....
phillyrube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2015, 09:44 AM   #8
Fe Man
I am Iron Moran!

Oddometer: 8,253

And FTFF's
Old 02-27-2015, 09:47 AM   #9
WaterWheel
Multi Talentless

Oddometer: 18,678
Quote:
WTF is a responsible driver to do?
I used to commute 100miles a day for 13 years. There really is no sense getting worked up about all the dipshits. You'll go crazy and either shoot someone or have an aneurysm.

I just get in line in the right hand lane, sit back, leave plenty of room, and watch the show. You'll get home +/- three minutes no matter how you drive.

It's funny, after a while you get a sixth sense for what the idiots are going to do even before they do.

Buckle up.
Old 02-27-2015, 09:49 AM   #10
D.T.
Up in this MF'er!

Oddometer: 10,942
Buy some guns! This is america!
D.T. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2015, 09:55 AM   #11
UT R1150R
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,416
I get why people should slow down in bad weather. Around here regardless of the weather, nearly everyone "accelerates" so damn slowly away from lights that you'd think there was a blizzard underway. Then they consistently drive UNDER the speed limit.

Diesel trucks are especially annoying. These idiots leave the light as if they are pulling a 40' trailer. My god, just AT LEAST do the fucking speed limit and get the fuck out of my way.

Another fun fact about utah. If you do the speed limit, the next light will turn red just before you arrive. If you speed - 5 to 10 over, you can make a string of green lights. If there is someone in front of you at a light and they "accelerate" like a silky vagina, you're guaranteed to hit several red lights.

When people here whine that we have so many red light runners I tell them to convince the sloths in charge of timing the lights to set them up to reward, rather than punish drivers for maintaining the speed limit.
UT R1150R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2015, 10:12 AM   #12
Teckel
As If I Care

Oddometer: 3,442
Quote:
That's about the most cerebral response I'd expect out of you....bruh!
Glad I didn't disappoint you. You want an actual conversation, try inmates or the perfect line.
Teckel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2015, 10:33 AM   #13
summerinmaine
Hells Atheists MC

Oddometer: 45,828
Quote:
Originally Posted by UT R1150R View Post
Another fun fact about utah. If you do the speed limit, the next light will turn red just before you arrive. If you speed - 5 to 10 over, you can make a string of green lights. If there is someone in front of you at a light and they "accelerate" like a silky vagina, you're guaranteed to hit several red lights.

When people here whine that we have so many red light runners I tell them to convince the sloths in charge of timing the lights to set them up to reward, rather than punish drivers for maintaining the speed limit.
There was a long stretch on one of the main routes north through San Francisco where there was a light at every cross-street. They posted a sign at each light saying "lights are timed for X" where X was 3-mph below the speed limit. If traffic was light, I could make it through the entire 20+ block stretch without stopping.

Sadly, those signs (and the long-distance synchronization) seem to have disappeared.

Red light runners = municipal $$$ I suspect!

"My atheism, like that of Spinoza, is true piety towards the universe and denies only gods fashioned by men in their own image, to be servants of their human interests." George Santayana
summerinmaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2015, 10:38 AM   #14
KirkN
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 424
Quote:
Originally Posted by UT R1150R View Post
they "accelerate" like a silky vagina,

Coffee on the keyboard again...

I'm not even sure what that means! Do silky vaginas accelerate quickly, or slowly?

Kirk
KirkN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2015, 10:42 AM   #15
jub jub
frumiousbandersnatch

Oddometer: 14,633
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaterWheel View Post
I used to commute 100miles a day for 13 years. There really is no sense getting worked up about all the dipshits. You'll go crazy and either shoot someone or have an aneurysm.

I just get in line in the right hand lane, sit back, leave plenty of room, and watch the show. You'll get home +/- three minutes no matter how you drive.

It's funny, after a while you get a sixth sense for what the idiots are going to do even before they do.

Buckle up.
What did you do with the real WW?
jub jub is offline   Reply With Quote