Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > The perfect line and other riding myths
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-25-2015, 05:05 AM   #1
wild OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 138
how do you deal with dogs attack when riding?

or a ram..

that's what really concerns me when riding along.
wild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2015, 06:13 AM   #2
fastdadio
Still gettin faster

Oddometer: 2,098
That first video was scary. The second video the dogs were a bunch lovers looking to have some fun. The 3rd was staged. About that first one, I'd be calling the law.
fastdadio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2015, 06:19 AM   #3
therealjared
Adventurer

Oddometer: 77
Most dogs turn away at the last second. My neighbor has about a 35 pound dog that kept pushing the limit every day, so much I could feel him nipping at my ankles a few times. At that point I'd had enough and started trying to time it right to kick him in the head. I missed the first time or two. The last time I knew I had him, but he overshot and got his head under my front tire. Fortunately, I stayed upright with no problems and he ran off squealing with his tail between his lags. Hasn't come near me since.
therealjared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2015, 06:26 AM   #4
sperz1
UnStudly Adventurer

Oddometer: 993
Quote:
Originally Posted by fastdadio View Post
The second video the dogs were a bunch lovers looking to have some fun. The 3rd was staged.
Agreed. Tails wagging and fur not standing up. They were just being knuckleheads.

2015 Harley-Davidson FLTRX
1998 Suzuki DR350se
sperz1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2015, 06:26 AM   #5
Maggot12
U'mmmm yeaah!!

Oddometer: 4,737
I usually slow down and near the center line. When I'm say 10-15 ft away I'll speed up and go to the center to try and avoid hitting the thing.

This has only happened 4-5 times for me.

Don't sweat the petty things; Pet the sweaty things !!!
Maggot12 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2015, 06:49 AM   #6
foxtrapper
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 778
Firm stiff shoulders and arms, solid grip on the handlebars, well braced, throttle on.

Most of the time you'll pass through without the dog latching on. If it does, they tend to swing and slide down under the rear tire. When they attempt to improve their bite, they almost always come off.

Stay solid so their impact and their drag do not jerk you off the bike, or jerk your handlebars when they hit or latch on.

A hit onto the front tire or handlebars is again best dealt with by a solid grip and firm shoulders so the bike doesn't get excessively deflected. Smaller animals like dogs and racoons will typically go down and you will have the tires roll over it. Larger bodies like deer will frequently go up. Be ready for the head and body impact you will experience, as well the handlebar hit.
foxtrapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2015, 07:12 AM   #7
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Oddometer: 28,378
If you have a choice, aim at them. They'll change their mind pretty quickly *in most cases* when they're in danger.

If you have a water bottle (like on a bicycle) squirt em.

I've got a friend in Ala. that carries a pellet gun on her rides. Evidently dogs down there are somewhat out of control. I've never needed to carry, but YMMV

M
Old 02-25-2015, 07:13 AM   #8
greasyfatman
Adventurer

Oddometer: 38
I was rushed by two dogs on my MTB. It was on bennch cut, had time to get off, take a step up the hill. Used my all mountain 29er like a dog tennis racket. When the owner got on the seen he said they where just scared. Bet they're afraid of bikes now.
greasyfatman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2015, 07:20 AM   #9
tkent02
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,378
Quote:
Originally Posted by greasyfatman View Post
I was rushed by two dogs on my MTB. It was on bennch cut, had time to get off, take a step up the hill. Used my all mountain 29er like a dog tennis racket. When the owner got on the seen he said they where just scared. Bet they're afraid of bikes now.
Had a dog chase me on my bicycle most mornings when I had a paper route. He lived at the top of a big hill, so I was gassed already, couldn't outrun him. One morning I kicked him in the head, he veered over into the other lane and a car hit him.

He lived but he didn't ever chase me again.
Now I just open the throttle and aim right at them.
tkent02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2015, 07:22 AM   #10
bomose
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,199
The first one is really scary, especially being on a bicycle. Most of the time I can just accelerate around and past them. Once, on a jeep trail in Utah, I ran across a pack of dogs. Made it through all but the last one. He veered into my front wheel and I went over the bars landing on my head. Hurt my neck bad but was able to get going. Luckily, the other dogs had given up the chase. I might have had to shoot them. The one I hit was dead.
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...=955211Chasing Dinosaurs
bomose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2015, 07:44 AM   #11
catweasel67
Still a B.A.N

Oddometer: 8,506
Pets and working dogs - two very different animals - pets I can handle (at least I've been able to) but working dogs a whole different story - they're uber-possessive about their land and a working dog in the UK is a very far from a working dog in Greece. Thankfully. I've only come across working dogs when their "owner" has been around, and never in such a large pack as in the first video - that's truly crazy. I'd probably do exactly the same as the guy in the video did - wait for help :p
Guns don't kill people, people kill people but people with guns manage to kill more people than people without.
catweasel67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2015, 07:49 AM   #12
Yikes!
Boris Badenov fan

Oddometer: 1,354
Get back whip?
Yikes! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2015, 08:01 AM   #13
Badjuju
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 318
The best strategy for avoiding a collision with a dog, whether on a bicycle or motorcycle, is to slow down as they make their approach trajectory and then gas it at the last minute. They inevitably end up behind you and give up the chase pretty quickly. Obviously a bit more difficult on a bike than a MC, but still effective. A squirt with a water bottle will also deter them, but much like trying to kick them on the fly, bad things can happen when your attention is diverted from the task of riding. If you have a particularly bad actor that you KNOW is gonna make a run, I've taken a 'dog deterrent' bottle of water with 10% bleach along on the ride. A hit to the face is pretty noxious without being permanently disabling and will leave a lasting impression on the offender. Just don't forget which is YOUR drinking bottle and which is the 'dog' bottle….
Some people will tell you that slow is good, and it may be on some days, but I am here to tell you that fast is better... Being shot out of a cannon will always be better than being squeezed out of a tube. That is why God made fast motorcycles, Bubba.... Hunter S Thompson, Song of the Sausage Creature
Badjuju is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2015, 08:05 AM   #14
Pecha72
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,000
me & my GF as pillion, were chased by big angry dogs going over a mountain pass in Eastern Turkey. Happened 4-5 times in that one road, but nowhere else in Turkey. Was kinda scary, when they got to the road ahead of us a couple of times. Just gave full throttle, horn and lights. I agree they usually do turn away at the last minute, at least these ones did, but it was close. Had we got bitten, would've at least thought about the possibility of rabies, although they did not appear sick, just mean..
Countries ridden • FIN • SWE • NOR • DK • EE • LV • LT • POL • SK • HU • RO • BG • GR • IT • AT • DE • CZ • CH • SMR • LIE • NL • BE • FR • AND • ES • GBR • LUX • SI • HR • BIH • SRB • MK • TR • IR • PAK • IND • TH • KH • LA • MY • ID • AUS • CR • USA • ZA • LS • SWZ • MZ • NA • BW • ZM • ZW
Pecha72 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2015, 08:07 AM   #15
cheesewhiz
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 132
If I see a dog starting to give chase I lock 'em up for a split second.
This will force the pooch to change his angle of attack.
At the same time I drop it down a gear and dump the clutch.
My acceleration is no match for mans best friend.
AND, if you happen to be on gravel/dirt, the rear tire spray may just douse the canine with stones, mud, or even a rock to the noggen to hopefully make it think twice the next time.