Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-12-2010, 02:50 PM   #136
DAKEZ
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 19,603
Quote:
Originally Posted by xmonger
Does anyone have the link to the article? A quick search on my part revealed nada.

Thanks.
Here is a link to one of the studies. I think this is the one Luni was referring to.

http://www.dft.gov.uk/pgr/roadsafety...me2/rsrr85.pdf

Basically. People are not out to kill you. It is simply the way human vision works. Lateral motion allows them to truly see you.
Old 04-12-2010, 02:54 PM   #137
Blue&Yellow
but orange inside...

Oddometer: 754
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAKEZ
Basically. People are not out to kill you.
Really?
Blue&Yellow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 03:01 PM   #138
xmonger
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 125
Quote:
Here is a link to one of the studies. I think this is the one Luni was referring to.

Basically. People are not out to kill you. It is simply the way human vision works. Lateral motion allows them to truly see you.
Excellent!

Many thanks and agreed. People do not want to kill us. It's a big legal/$$$ hassle for them when they do.
xmonger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 03:12 PM   #139
Blue&Yellow
but orange inside...

Quote:

In abstract: Lack of DRL may lead to LBFTS and ROWV. So use your DRL, and remember that the LBFTS ROWVs aren't out to kill you, DAKEZ says so.
Old 04-12-2010, 05:47 PM   #140
LuciferMutt
Rides slow bike slow

Oddometer: 11,034
I agree that some people really do look, and really don't see you. I think this is a small number of incidents though. More often, unfortunately, people don't take the time to really look before going. How many times do you see people not even stop before turning right? How the hell can you get a good look without stopping, especially when there is often vegetation, signage or a building or wall partially blocking the view?

The age old excuse "I didn't see you," might be true in a few times out of ten -- but the rest of the time the real reason is "I'm in a huge rush and I didn't take a good look."

Either way it's your job to avoid them.

Badasses might screw with another badass. Nobody screws with a nut job. -- Plaka
LuciferMutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 09:20 PM   #141
Andrewmc
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 249
I think the thing I really wish someone had told me when I started, was that when you push the right side of the handle at speed, the bike goes right. same with the left obviously. During my first couple rides I had a lot of trouble with big sweeping turns because I kept trying to turn the front wheel.

The Motorcycle Shop
907-561-1165
Andrewmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2010, 01:42 PM   #142
the Pheasant
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 375
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rider2205
These are going to sound dumb and obvious, but taking myself back 31 years ago, this is some of the advice I needed:

1. Riding with no shirt and no helmet isn't cool. Buy the gear and wear it all the time.
2. Check your tires' air pressure regularly (ideally every ride). Replace your tires while they still have some tread.
3. Jersey barriers + construction = sand and gravel spots on highways
4. Watch out for dogs, deer, and other critters.
5. Learn about countersteering and practice it.
6. Get some professional rider training (Your friend's stoner older brother teaching you to do wheelies does not count as professional rider training.)
8. Wet leaves and steel plates are really slippery.
9. If you can't ride at your own pace, don't ride with others.
10. Don't drink and ride, period.
Thinking about my younger, newbie biking self I'd add to make sure you wear clothing suited to the weather; make sure you have sufficient warm and waterproof gear for any weather conditions you might encounter on your ride.
A couple of years ago I arrived in Andermatt in the Swiss Alps in the middle of a day-long thunderstorm and stopped for a coffee at a hotel. Outside was a fair-sized moto; inside sat the young rider and his female pillion watching the rain come down. Both wore just a leather jacket and jeans with no waterproofs.
Turned out they had left Italy that morning, in fine weather, and had ridden over the St Gotthard pass, reaching Andermatt just as the rain started. No way were they going back to Italy on a moto that day... They booked a room before I left.
Hang on, maybe there was a plan involved...
the Pheasant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2010, 02:55 PM   #143
luni
A51 Tour Guide

Oddometer: 1,061
Quote:
Originally Posted by the Pheasant
Hang on, maybe there was a plan involved...
Translation: Italian women can be persuaded into going into far-off locations, with the prospect of being stranded and secluded far from home. And will share a bedroom, cold, wet, and vulnerable
luni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2010, 03:18 PM   #144
Blue&Yellow
but orange inside...

Quote:
Originally Posted by luni
Translation: Italian women can be persuaded into going into far-off locations, with the prospect of being stranded and secluded far from home. And will share a bedroom, cold, wet, and vulnerable
Well they say that "if you fail to plan you plan to fail", but sometimes failing to plan may actually be your ticket to success! Some of the greatest scientific discoveries have been unintentional, some of the best motorcycling rides I've taken didn't go as planned etc.

At least once in their life a motorcyclist should ditch the watch, gps, phone, maps, rain gear, camping gear etc. Bring only some cash, credit card and a compass, start early in the day then see where you end up at the end of it.
Old 04-13-2010, 09:54 PM   #145
Patch308
Adventurer

Oddometer: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue&Yellow
Well they say that "if you fail to plan you plan to fail", but sometimes failing to plan may actually be your ticket to success! Some of the greatest scientific discoveries have been unintentional, some of the best motorcycling rides I've taken didn't go as planned etc.

At least once in their life a motorcyclist should ditch the watch, gps, phone, maps, rain gear, camping gear etc. Bring only some cash, credit card and a compass, start early in the day then see where you end up at the end of it.
Cars, truck, CMV's, landing aircraft, tanks, etc. ALWAYS have the "right of way"...Make sure someone SEES you (make eye contact) at intersections, when riding near them, etc...otherwise, yield the road and let them have some space. It's terribly unfortunate but people DON'T PAY ATTENTION TO OTHER CARS WHEN DRIVING LET ALONE US! I see it often...

and remember..."Four wheels move the body...Two wheels move the soul."
Patch308 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2010, 09:55 PM   #146
Patch308
Adventurer

Oddometer: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue&Yellow

Sounds like you might like this one too..."A plan is a list of all of the things that won't be happening that day."
Patch308 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2010, 09:58 PM   #147
Blacknblue
"I'm outa' here."

Oddometer: 1,522
Have fun.
Blacknblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2010, 10:29 PM   #148
DAKEZ
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 19,603
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patch308
Make sure someone SEES you (make eye contact) at intersections, when riding near them, etc...
Good post but the "make eye contact" part is extremely bad advice.

The faceplant forum is littered with riders who said they made eye contact.

It is the classic. Looked but failed to see.

Here is a link to one from just this past week: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=568430

"...She looked right at me , made eye contact, and proceeded right into my path."

DO NOT LOOK AT THEIR EYES!!!

LOOK AT THE TOP OF THE FRONT TIRE. / (wheel)

DAKEZ screwed with this post 04-13-2010 at 10:40 PM
DAKEZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2010, 11:06 PM   #149
GSnovice
Beer me up, Scotty!

Oddometer: 1,543
The eyes have it

Prolly already been said, but look where you want to go when cornering and especially when avoiding an obstacle. Have a look at pics of how good road racers (Doohan, Rossi et al) corner - look where their heads are and how far up the road they are looking.
Assume EVERY cage driver is out to get you - intentional or not, it's often the case.
Maintain body temperature - hypothermia can sneak up on you and seriously mess with your head.
Maintain hydration - by the time you feel thirsty, brain function is already affected.

Old 04-14-2010, 01:08 AM   #150
MustTourEurope
Adventurer

Oddometer: 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by GSnovice
Maintain body temperature - hypothermia can sneak up on you and seriously mess with your head.
Maintain hydration - by the time you feel thirsty, brain function is already affected. >
...and never ride with an empty stomach(if you'll be riding 100kms from the nearest food outlet) It will ruin your day, believe me.
MustTourEurope is offline   Reply With Quote