Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > The perfect line and other riding myths
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-16-2014, 03:26 PM   #1561
filmfan
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 642
For braking practice, I live on a very low-traffic street, so I put a driveway marker at the edge of my yard 30 feet from my mailbox.
When I'm coming home, if I feel like a practice session, I maintain speed until I get to the marker then put the binders on with the goal of getting stopped before I pass the mailbox.
Works good.
filmfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2014, 11:51 PM   #1562
Jon_PDX
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,114
Quote:
Originally Posted by filmfan View Post
For braking practice, I live on a very low-traffic street, so I put a driveway marker at the edge of my yard 30 feet from my mailbox.
When I'm coming home, if I feel like a practice session, I maintain speed until I get to the marker then put the binders on with the goal of getting stopped before I pass the mailbox.
Works good.
That's a good idea
Old 05-20-2014, 05:35 PM   #1563
Jamesx2
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 110
Adjust the controls to fit you. Make sure you feel comfortable with the bike as one before riding the streets
Old 05-22-2014, 12:32 AM   #1564
MeinMotorrad
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,261
Noobs and other should take a look at this thread and video.
Old 05-27-2014, 04:18 AM   #1565
BMWrider79
Me

Oddometer: 270
Not sure if it's been mentioned, but don't be egged into trying to keep up with macho types who comment on your "chicken-strips" or some such. Ride your own ride as the saying goes, because for certain your injury or death will be all your own.
BMWrider79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2014, 06:26 AM   #1566
popscycle
Fahren Away

Oddometer: 1,340
Quote:
Originally Posted by catweasel67 View Post
Wear whatever you want but remember...

There's only two types of bikers - those who've had an accident and those who've yet to have one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAKEZ View Post
Myth.
Definitely a steaming pile of mythical crap. Good riders, like good drivers and good pilots, tend to not crash or have accidents.

Goodbye Cruiserface, Hello Happyface!

2014 R1200GS | 2010 MX5 | BMW MOA
popscycle is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2014, 08:33 AM   #1567
Soldier311
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,564
Quote:
Originally Posted by popscycle View Post
Definitely a steaming pile of mythical crap. Good riders, like good drivers and good pilots, tend to not crash or have accidents.
Thank you for reinforcing that good karma.
Old 05-27-2014, 03:37 PM   #1568
DaLunk
Confused and Bemused

Oddometer: 663
Quote:
I agree completely. It would be more accurate to say that there are those who have crashed, and those with the potential to crash. That is to say, if you go around expecting to crash or just as bad, believing you can't crash, your odds swing in a bad way.
Old 05-28-2014, 12:14 AM   #1569
catweasel67
Still a B.A.N

Oddometer: 8,192
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaLunk View Post
I agree completely. It would be more accurate to say that there are those who have crashed, and those with the potential to crash. That is to say, if you go around expecting to crash or just as bad, believing you can't crash, your odds swing in a bad way.
That's true, of course, as I've yet to hone my ability to see into the future (makes me chuckle (lol even) that some of you must have actually thought I could predict the future - bloody numpties) but, quite frankly, your version doesn't roll off the tongue as easily as mine. Plus the intent of the statement is to re-enforce the need to be ATGATT....

Either way, between "yet to" or "have the potential to"...I'm sticking to my version., you stick to yours and we'll both be happy. It's the message that's important, not the messenger.
Guns don't kill people, people kill people but people with guns manage to kill more people than people without.
catweasel67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2014, 05:45 AM   #1570
Anonawesome
Scenic Rider

Oddometer: 1,218
Quote:
That's a little far out there too. My grandfather, who has been flying for over 40 years, was in the Air Force for 20, was a stunt pilot instructor, and is currently a flight instructor, has crash landed 2 planes. Both involved zero injuries. Good pilots, drivers, and riders just make the best of shitty situations.

-"I wouldn't trade one stupid decision for another five years of life."
Anonawesome is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 11:55 PM   #1571
Aarrff
Gravel Grinder

Oddometer: 1,626
I am sure some of this had been noted before. ( Consider this stuff especially for riding curves or in mountains with wildlife)

If in a group, leave plenty of room for braking and the unexpected hazards like deer, dogs, and left turners.

Learn how to position yourself in your lane to be visible to on coming traffic or people pulling out in your lane ( don't hug the right side, stay more to the left and OCCUPY YOUR LANE)

Use your whole lane ( staggerd riding while close together is for interstates and fools) Approaching left hand curves, position yourself for the best view of the vanishing point so be a little to the right side of your lane and only go for an apex after the curve opens. (Hard for noobs to do) ( Also, you won't be one of the fools I see with their head and shoulders over the yellow waiting for an RV mirror or low-boy trailer) Likewise, in a right curve, be a little to the left or closer to the yellow to see around that curve bank better to watch for the oncoming idiot in your lane who is taking the apex too soon. Then, as before, go for what apex is left only after it opens up. Doing what is in this paragraph will allow you to become a smooth and safer rider and actually deceptively fast given practice time like in years and many thousands of miles I mean. Set up your lane position well ahead of entering the curve.

When learning curves, slow more than you think approaching then you can stay on the throttle at least lightly as you learn throughout the curve allowing you to be smooth and carve a steady line.

If you been riding a few years and think you are fast, please find another passion while you are still alive. Think smooth not fast. Be aware like a cat at all times. Ok, I'll get quiet....later...

R1200GSA, R 80 RT ( adv project )
Honda XR 70 R

Aarrff screwed with this post 06-06-2014 at 12:04 AM
Aarrff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2014, 12:06 AM   #1572
catweasel67
Still a B.A.N

Oddometer: 8,192
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aarrff View Post
I am sure some of this had been noted before. ( Consider this stuff especially for riding curves or in mountains with wildlife)

If in a group, leave plenty of room for braking and the unexpected hazards like deer, dogs, and left turners.

Learn how to position yourself in your lane to be visible to on coming traffic or people pulling out in your lane ( don't hug the right side, stay more to the left and OCCUPY YOUR LANE)

Use your whole lane ( staggerd riding while close together is for interstates and fools) Approaching left hand curves, position yourself for the best view of the vanishing point so be a little to the right side of your lane and only go for an apex after the curve opens. (Hard for noobs to do) ( Also, you won't be one of the fools I see with their head and shoulders over the yellow waiting for an RV mirror or low-boy trailer) Likewise, in a right curve, be a little to the left or closer to the yellow to see around that curve bank better to watch for the oncoming idiot in your lane who is taking the apex too soon. Then, as before, go for what apex is left only after it opens up. Doing what is in this paragraph will allow you to become a smooth and safer rider and actually deceptively fast given practice time like in years and many thousands of miles I mean.

When learning curves, slow more than you think approaching then you can stay on the throttle at least lightly as you learn throughout the curve allowing you to be smooth and carve a steady line.

If you been riding a few years and think you are fast, please find another passion while you are still alive. Think smooth not fast. Be aware like a cat at all times. Ok, I'll get quiet....later...
Personally I'd always advise noobs to avoid group rides. They're potentially disastrous things full of folks who're unpredictable and who posses wildly varying levels of skills. Throw a noob into the mix and things become even more..well, let's say "challenging" :)
Guns don't kill people, people kill people but people with guns manage to kill more people than people without.
catweasel67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2014, 12:35 AM   #1573
Benduro
Banned

Oddometer: 2,256
Carry condoms. You're gonna need 'em.
Benduro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 05:49 PM   #1574
Mambo Dave
Backyard Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,168
Quote:
Originally Posted by catweasel67 View Post
Personally I'd always advise noobs to avoid group rides. They're potentially disastrous things full of folks who're unpredictable and who posses wildly varying levels of skills. Throw a noob into the mix and things become even more..well, let's say "challenging" :)
I fully agree.

I used to work at a bike dealership, and used to ride sport bikes, so I've seen this happen, or the effects of this happening, many times.

Group rides inevitably bring varying degrees of competency. The newer rider isn't just putting himself at risk, but also those he's riding close to. This becomes especially pertinent on the backroads of Pennsylvania where newer riders try to keep up, end up focusing on something they shouldn't, sometimes at some speed they shouldn't, and throw their bike away.

Here in straight and flat south Florida it's a little less intense. The riders can push it, speed-wise, but it's straight-line idiocy for the most part.
their motorcycles
." --
RyanR
Mambo Dave is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 08:46 PM   #1575
Anonawesome
Scenic Rider

Oddometer: 1,218
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benduro View Post
Carry condoms. You're gonna need 'em.
Whaaaaaaat? I've been getting jipped.