Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-14-2010, 02:20 AM   #151
Blue&Yellow
but orange inside...

Oddometer: 754
Quote:
Originally Posted by MustTourEurope
...and never ride with an empty stomach(if you'll be riding 100kms from the nearest food outlet) It will ruin your day, believe me.
Nah, I have a weird body. I don't get hungry I just get on with it and eat something later. Get up, no breakfast, ride all day, light evening meal, same thing next day no problem.

I do drink tons of water though.
Blue&Yellow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010, 04:03 AM   #152
natedog39
New Sheriff in town

Oddometer: 6,129
Wow,,,from the looks of things all bases have pretty much been covered,,great stuff.
Here's a few sayings I like to keep in my own head and the occaisional riding nOOb who's dumb enough to ask me for advise.

Ride like everybody on the road is out to get you.

There are two kinds of riders,,,those who have fallen,,,and those who WILL.

When on a "spirited" ride,,,ride like your going to meet yourself coming the other way and plan your lines accordingly.

My policy when on a group ride is "ride your own pace,,if we are going to make a turn we will wait for you,,,don't ride over your head"

2014 FE 501
2012 990Adv
natedog39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010, 04:03 AM   #153
natedog39
New Sheriff in town

Oddometer: 6,129
Oh yeah,,,and don't forget to have fun!

2014 FE 501
2012 990Adv
natedog39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010, 05:20 AM   #154
DR WVU
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 105
The two things I say to myself while riding:
1.) No matter who is at fault, I am dead.
2.) DO NOT get in a hurry.
DR WVU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010, 06:32 PM   #155
LuciferMutt
Rides slow bike slow

Oddometer: 10,777
Brush your teeth before a ride if you can. Keeps your full-face helmet from smelling as weird

Badasses might screw with another badass. Nobody screws with a nut job. -- Plaka
LuciferMutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010, 09:02 PM   #156
dwoodward
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,673
Quote:
Originally Posted by Banglee9
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwoodward

Hell, I go out of my way to look like a dork. Anyone in Oregon that's seen an FJR rider with a yellow helmet mohawk- that's me.

I wanna see! Please! Please!
Squid Alert! thread
dwoodward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2010, 08:26 PM   #157
1609Mian
Banned

Oddometer: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tucson Jim
Ride like you are invisable and everyone is trying to kill you.
Ride like you are NOT invisible, you have big arrows pointing at you, and you're the most noticed person around, and and that everyone is trying to kill you.*
1609Mian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2010, 08:50 PM   #158
1609Mian
Banned

Oddometer: 18
Cry Fail.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanF
There are lots, but I'll stick with two:

1. Check your ego. Most of the hairy spots & close calls I've had were because my ego couldn't handle being passed, or a bonehead move.
Oh, is this true! Just yesterday, me and my uncle went and rode some dirt (hills and what not) near his house. We went up this huge hill, I got some nice air, and we turned around to go back down. It was pretty steep, but I made it down like a "pro." On the way back I was trying to perform well, and be smooth, but quick. I would shift it into neutral at a red light (only if I was first in the lane), and right before it turned green I would shift into first (on my '08 CRF230L, great beginners bike, imho.) rev it up lightly and dump the clutch. (Not knowing the danger that could be had.) I got a little mini-wheelie, and had the front wheel off of the ground 2-3 inches. I did this once more on the way home. I got even more clearance; i'd say 3-4.5 inches.

We took a break, (i.e. hour or so, and some lunch.) and went back out for some street riding. We had this big elaborate blast through the neighborhood, a ride down less traveled roads, and a little trail ride on the side of railroad tracks planned (less than 10 miles, but still pretty fun.) Right after we got geared up (helmets, jackets, gloves, sunglasses ) I went into the street (nice & clear (middle of the day - 7:15 p.m.)) and did what I did the first time. All was going as planned until I rev'd it up too high and dumped the clutch. I almost loop'd the bike. He said the bike was almost straight up and down, and the only thing that saved me was my box. I landed back on the ground with both wheels, but I couldn't save it. It fell, twisted my forks, tore up my grip, and moved my handlebars outta place. (All is fixed now.)

I got over confident, and let my ego get the best of me. I really should've worked on it -- slow & steady.

I'm still a bit of a noob.
1609Mian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2010, 09:07 PM   #159
zzo
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 131
Wear a flourescent vest or jacket

Here's something that stuck with me. Your chances of being hit by an inattentive driver go down dramatically (99% sticks in my mind from somewhere) if you wear highly visible clothing. A fluorescent vest is not as cool as a $700 black leather jacket but it more likely to save your life. The Department of Defense requires highly visible jackets or vests to ride on military installations and there is a reason. Also, three times I nearly bought the farm due to error: 1 - I was watching young women on the adjacent bike path when I should have been watching the car in front of me that stopped suddenly to make a left hand turn. 2 - I relaxed when I left a dirt road and entered a well maintained gravel road. I allowed my speed to increase and then coming around a corner I hit fresh gravel and thought I was going to go over the edge of a canyon. 3 - I became accustomed to 4-way stops near where I work. On a casual ride near home I stopped at a stop sign and then turned left into 55 mph through traffic. I thought it was a 4-way! I think the fluorescent vest saved me as the on-coming driver slowed enough that I did not get hit. So, be very visible, don't get distracted, don't relax, and don't let habit create errors.

zzo screwed with this post 04-15-2010 at 09:13 PM
zzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2010, 05:39 PM   #160
Dick Tater
Spudly Adventurer

Oddometer: 66
Wear you gear! You may get warm but it is easier to stay hydrated and take a shower later than it is to mend bones or grow new skin (and good gear can keep you cooler on a hot day vs no gear).
Old 04-17-2010, 05:39 AM   #161
BoxerPilot
Adventurer

Oddometer: 48
Read most of the posts so if I have missed this sorry....

Take the Motorcycle Safety Foundation (MSF) courses.

I have been riding over 25 years- lots of dirt as a kid, and street and a little dirt since I got my license. This past Thursday and Friday I took the MSF BRC course. It was not entirely voluntary- as a result of an increasing number of fatalities and injuries in active duty members the Navy has mandated MC training courses for all personnel.

I cannot say that I learned a lot of new stuff but it reinforced many fundamentals of riding that are vital to safe MC use and the instructors will break you of any bad habits you have developed. For new riders the course is invaluable and I wish I had done it when I was a teen.

My other 2 cents answers are:

Never drink and ride. This is just plain stupid. I have been surprised how many ride reports involve a couple of pops at the local watering hole and a ride back to the hotel/campsite. I am all for a frosty beverage or something neat to sip on but the bike is parked for the night at that point.

Watch your speed. You can ATGATT but you cannot beat physics.

Every other vehicle on the road is trying to kill you. This includes other motorcyclists- I once cared for a man who lost his leg to another MC rider crossing the centerline, clipping him and sending him to the ground after destroying his left leg.

Best wishes on your research.

Christian
BoxerPilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2010, 05:54 AM   #162
nevermind
Swamp Thing

Oddometer: 2,696
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhistlingFool
What is needed to really succeed is a 360 degree sense of awareness and the ability to anticipate the next encounter... on a bike this means knowing about ALL the traffic in your sphere... all the lanes behind and ahead of you and the ability to track those targets and scan for and acquire new ones. .. there was a comment about cages darting in front of you on the freeway to get to their exit... if that catches you by surprise then you aren't really doing all you can.

Always expect people to run red lights, pull out in front of you, doors to pop open on parked cars.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kimel
As a sometimes driver of emergency vehicles with all manner of bright colors, flashing lights, sirens and the like I can tell you that the cagers are so freaking oblivious that more often than not they do not see emergency vehicles either. I do not care how much hi-viz you are wearing you aren't as big, bright and loud as an ambulance running code so you have no prayer of being seen.
Posts of the century... It really doesn't matter what color you wear, keep you're head on a swivel and ride like every cager on the road is out to kill you.
nevermind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2010, 12:22 AM   #163
MustTourEurope
Adventurer

Oddometer: 68
Avoid the risky "cat and mouse" high speed chase. It does not necessarily reflect the chases with your ride buddies during weekends, but it can happen anywhere, anytime, and on any given road condition. One indication that you're about to do a "chase/or to be chased"...is when the rider in front of you acknowledges your ominous presence by lurching forward passing five cars and you losing his tail lights. But despite this, you have NOW this mean urge to chase him(or at least tail him from behind). Now both of you are on the game
The other one(to be chased)...happens when you're on an ego-trip-don't-want-any-two-wheel-overtaking-me scenario. You try to get heavy with the throttle but still unable to shake off the one tailing behind. Usually happens on twisty sub-urban roads/long straights and highways. If you won't gel out...you will die. These guys are stupid. And so am I

Note: I don't want you to die
MustTourEurope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2010, 02:02 AM   #164
Aussijussi
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,066
Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by MustTourEurope
Avoid the risky "cat and mouse" high speed chase. It does not necessarily reflect the chases with your ride buddies during weekends, but it can happen anywhere, anytime, and on any given road condition. One indication that you're about to do a "chase/or to be chased"...is when the rider in front of you acknowledges your ominous presence by lurching forward passing five cars and you losing his tail lights. But despite this, you have NOW this mean urge to chase him(or at least tail him from behind). Now both of you are on the game
The other one(to be chased)...happens when you're on an ego-trip-don't-want-any-two-wheel-overtaking-me scenario. You try to get heavy with the throttle but still unable to shake off the one tailing behind. Usually happens on twisty sub-urban roads/long straights and highways. If you won't gel out...you will die. These guys are stupid. And so am I

Note: I don't want you to die
Been and done!
Aussijussi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2010, 04:09 AM   #165
MustTourEurope
Adventurer

Oddometer: 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aussijussi
Been and done!
...alright I'll edit mine...I was stupid
MustTourEurope is offline   Reply With Quote