Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > The perfect line and other riding myths
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-26-2010, 01:10 PM   #226
daq7
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 571
People like to say to stay in gear to keep from getting rear ended, but I am quite sceptical that by the time you hear brakes you could react fast enough to prevent a crash. You may be able to see someone coming too fast as long as you are willing to be on a hair trigger...
daq7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2010, 02:04 PM   #227
daq7
Studly Adventurer

I addressed the question of mirrors in my reply, and I am just as sceptical that you can always make a decision that someone is coming too fast and do something about it. I admit that you MIGHT.
Old 05-27-2010, 03:44 AM   #228
eepeqez
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,068
Until they look you in the eye assume they haven't seen you.

You can be sure of this!

Addressing someone's concern that this might suggest that once they've looked at you, you're safe:

After they've looked you in the eye, assume there's still a good chance either they haven't seen you or they consider motorcyclists targets.

Where I live, you're required to dip your headlight for oncoming traffic and traffic you are following, regardless of the time of day.

On the other hand when I started riding, we had dismal pre-focussed headlights which had a pretty hideous low beam pattern anyway. Low beams were more glary than modern halogen lights and high beams were pretty dismal. Riding on high beam in the day made you a bit more conspicuous without causing undue glare.

This is the downside to modern decent headlights. Hopefully the super bright LED running lights appearing on European prestige cars will trickle down to bikes.

Ride with headlights and/or LED running lights on in the daytime, reserve your high beam in daytime for getting attention.

As for complete newbies braking; I remember very clearly riding my first bike (which makes it my first 3 months), approaching downhill a complex double intersection on a wet highway and realising very late that I needed to stop RIGHT NOW, not at the second half of the intersection.

With just a few weeks experience, I hauled on the brakes and watched in a strangely detached way as my front wheel stop turning, several times, while I modulated the brake force, knowing I needed as much braking as I could get but that a stopped front wheel was a BAD THING(tm). I was well aware that the only reason I was getting away with it at all was that I was travelling bolt upright in a dead straight line.

I stopped just short of the crossing traffic.

This incident made a very strong impression on me. I learnt that in a dead straight line, I could brake to skidding if necessary.

As a newby with just a few weeks experience and NO training whatsoever (just a multi-guess test for my learners permit), I would have been very poorly served by any advice other than:

Use both brakes.
Carefully.
Especially on bends.
eepeqez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2010, 05:07 PM   #229
Roadrunner
(Negativus Supersonicus)

Oddometer: 23,199
Cool2

Quote:
Originally Posted by 45LC
I'd really prefer other riders didn't do this. I see it alot around here and it's not safe at all.

It just blinds oncoming motorcycle riders and generally pisses off people in cars. Something I often struggled with when I first rode on pavement was stopping in gear and searching in vain for neutral.
1st,3rd,1st,3rd on and on. Figured out the rolling "N" click pretty quick but nobody ever told me to do it, learned the "hard way".
In all the time I've ridden with my high beams on - mind you, only in daylight hours, I've had only 1 old white-haired guy flash his lights at me. That is one out of oh....about a zillion cars. I'd say it is worth my life.

You shift from 1st to 3rd?
Old 05-29-2010, 06:14 PM   #230
Rottweiler
I'm a Believer

Oddometer: 362
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadrunner
In all the time I've ridden with my high beams on - mind you, only in daylight hours, I've had only 1 old white-haired guy flash his lights at me. That is one out of oh....about a zillion cars.
And this proves what, exactly?

Quote:
I'd say it is worth my life.
Do you really, truly want to claim that you'd be long ago dead if you didn't irritate every cage driver you meet?

If your riding is THAT dangerous, why do you do it?

Real men wear boots. God is good.

"Liberalism is a philosophy of consolation for Western Civilization as it commits suicide." - Dr. Jerry Pournelle http://jerrypournelle.com
Rottweiler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2010, 10:44 AM   #231
Crash-Resistant

Oddometer: 129
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAKEZ
Thanks a lot for pissing off "about a zillion cars" and making them hate all motorcycles. Way to represent.
 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2010, 12:47 PM   #232
The Raven
Banned

Oddometer: 4,811
+1

Quote:
Originally Posted by duck
This is BAD advice. When someone points their eyes in your direction and you ASSUME you've made eye contact you have no idea if your presence has actually registered in their gray matter. A better instructor would have told you to always assume you're invisible.
The Raven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2010, 01:14 PM   #233
Nictrolis
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 204
Test your bike. I'm talking about excessive braking and acceleration. Get to know the outside limits of your bike - first in a straight line, and then while turning. Full-on acceleration, full-on braking, etc. This way, you have an idea of what you're dealing with, should you get into a hairy situation you won't be surprised when your rear wheel locks up. Start with the straight line for both and then try to work on some hard braking in a turn.

Note that on a lot of the ADV bikes you'll probably see the front tire come up before you get to full throttle, so you might want to work your way up to that, or skip it... fast isn't as important to learn as the stopping part. Which, of course, could also be just as dangerous, as a handful of front brake can lift up the back tire just as easily, or send the front tire skidding (whooooeeeee!!!).

This was definitely one of the more useful things they taught in the Motorcycle Safety course I took, as you really don't know how a bike's going to behave until you're actually in that situation. So learn it in a parking lot, before you learn it the hard way... :-)
Nictrolis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2010, 09:54 PM   #234
Beach40
Banned

Oddometer: 2,975
"Rider side up, rubber side down. Long and often."
Beach40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2010, 10:53 PM   #235
daq7
Studly Adventurer

Most important thing for you to realize as a motorcycling n00b? You *are* going to die, relatively soon in geological terms. Get over it. Just hope that you don't spend your last years horribly maimed.
Old 05-31-2010, 11:05 PM   #236
Aussijussi
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,136
Quote:
Originally Posted by daq7
Most important thing for you to realize as a motorcycling n00b? You *are* going to die, relatively soon in geological terms. Get over it. Just hope that you don't spend your last years horribly maimed.
Nice and cheery bit of advice for a new motorcycle rider!
Aussijussi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2010, 11:16 PM   #237
Beach40
Banned

Oddometer: 2,975
Quote:
Originally Posted by daq7
If that applies to motorcycle riding, it also applies to every other form of transport.
Beach40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 11:37 AM   #238
daq7
Studly Adventurer

True enough. You have to just do what you choose to do what you want to do and hope for the best.
Old 06-01-2010, 01:16 PM   #239
ULY-RPG
cool hands adv

Oddometer: 296
It has been said before but threshold braking practice is very important. Practice in the hot,cold,dry,wet,straight,turning,OFTEN! Keep a sharp eye for misc debris either on the road or in the air. I've been the target of litter being tossed from a cage. One more is that hitting birds at a high rate of speed hurts. Concentrate,remember to ride and not panic from pain keep the bike up then deal with the problem after you are stopped.
ULY-RPG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 06:46 PM   #240
The_Paco
Coffee in Noisy End

Oddometer: 289
Don't try to "out run" the rain. You won't. Not unless you're on an empty highway heading directly away from it. Even then, you won't. It'll just make you stupid and wreck, so you can sit there under a convenient awning and wait for your ride to the hospital while you watch your bike get rained on.