Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > The perfect line and other riding myths
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-25-2010, 07:00 PM   #271
PFFOG
Richard Alps-aholic

Oddometer: 2,081
Been said before, but can't hurt to say it again. It is a mantra I repeat in my helmet frequently, even after over 30 years of riding.

LOOK WHERE YOU WANT TO GO!!!!

PFFOG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 07:11 PM   #272
PFFOG
Richard Alps-aholic

Oddometer: 2,081
And NEVER try to go faster, Always try to be SMOOTHER!!

SMOOTH IS FAST!!
PFFOG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2010, 03:22 AM   #273
frankofthenorth
n00b

Oddometer: 6
Thumb couple maintenence ideas

learn to change your own oil on every bike you own, and also learn to tension your chain to the correct deflection (if you have an F650gs or other chain driven bike).

Oh yeah, if you have plans to go several hundred miles in a day, take a break every 100 or so miles even if you don't feel you need to. at the end of the day you would be glad you did...

Old 06-26-2010, 09:52 PM   #274
daq7
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 571
Remember, the bike CAN correct for your mistakes if you don't panic.

I hit gravel in a corner this week. Front tire washed. Just let it recover. Probably got lucky. But it is the second time getting lucky...
daq7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2010, 07:56 PM   #275
Marky Mark
Mark

Oddometer: 10
Ride Alone for along time...

When you are a begginer, and you will be for quite a long time, ride alone (ie not out with other bikes) until you feel confident on your bike.
You need to concentrate 100% on your own riding not 80% on yours and 20 % on your mates...Always Ride at your own speed not someone elses.
And if you want to show off, show off by showing what a damn good rider you are by riding safely and totally in control. Far more impressive than some twat speeding past that everyone knows will be in hospital or worse within the year...
Marky Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2010, 08:13 PM   #276
Marky Mark
Mark

Standing on the pegs

As for the guy who says standing on the pegs doesn't work ....well I have to differ.
Standing on the pegs means the centre of gravity of the BIKE is lowered which means it is much easier to let the back end slide about through slimey mud , sand or ruts. The rise in the over all mass centre of gravity can be limited by just rising a couple of inches off the seat. However believe me it does work after the initial fear of being much higher up, and it gives you a far better view of the surface coming up giving you time to 'prepare or avoid'...
Old 06-27-2010, 08:26 PM   #277
Marky Mark
Mark

Using clutch to control low speeds

When going round a slow tight bend keep the throttle at a constant level but let the clutch in and out fractionaly to control bike speed. ie slipping the clutch 'just like dad told you NOT to when learning to drive his car ' this gives you far more precise control...just try it and see.
This is also essential in many off road scenarios...
Old 06-27-2010, 08:42 PM   #278
DAKEZ
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 19,540
Thumbs down N00bs DON"T listen to N00bs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marky Mark
When you are a begginer, and you will be for quite a long time, ride alone (ie not out with other bikes) until you feel confident on your bike. ...

I do NOT agree with this at all. There is nothing better than riding with people who really know how to ride and can give advice.

Quote:
Standing on the pegs means the centre of gravity of the BIKE is lowered ...

Standing UP raises (not lowers) "the center of gravity"

It does allow the bike to move more freely and thus is a good technique for proper riding off pavement.

DAKEZ screwed with this post 06-27-2010 at 10:20 PM
DAKEZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2010, 08:50 PM   #279
daq7
Studly Adventurer

Standing on the pegs RAISES the center of gravity but removes most of your mass from the moment of inertia the bike has to rotate around the y-axis in order to turn. But fuck the physics, it seems to be the consensus thing to fucking do.
Old 06-27-2010, 09:35 PM   #280
thistle66
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 373
Quote:
Originally Posted by daq7
Standing on the pegs RAISES the center of gravity but removes most of your mass from the moment of inertia the bike has to rotate around the y-axis in order to turn. But fuck the physics, it seems to be the consensus thing to fucking do.
lolz. Awesome explanation; perfect!
thistle66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2010, 07:33 AM   #281
Marky Mark
Mark

standing on pegs

well...at risk of dragging this out....when standing on the pegs your body weight is transfered from the seat to the pegs which are obviously lower thus lowering the centre of gravity of the actual bike ( not the overall mass)...anyway it works. Maybe if you are 8 feet tall it would be different ...

Marky Mark screwed with this post 06-29-2010 at 08:04 AM
Old 06-29-2010, 07:44 AM   #282
DAKEZ
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 19,540
Quote:
well...at risk of dragging this out....when standing on the pegs your body weight is transfered from the seat to the pegs which are obviously lower thus lowering the centre of gravity...anyway it works....
It does not matter where the pivot/hinge point is.... When mass goes higher so does the center of gravity. Basic stuff. Stop with the folly.
Old 06-29-2010, 09:52 AM   #283
daq7
Studly Adventurer

Yeah if you build the integration to determine the center of mass of the system, I am sure you can demonstrate mathematically beyond doubt that the center of gravity goes up. What is important is that your body does not have to lean with the bike in order to turn. Not having to rotate the mass of your upper body makes the rotational inertia of the bike somewhat lower.
Old 06-30-2010, 07:50 PM   #284
Icculus1284
Totally Rookie

Oddometer: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by PFFOG
Been said before, but can't hurt to say it again. It is a mantra I repeat in my helmet frequently, even after over 30 years of riding.

I've read most of this thread, but these few words are some of the most helpful information I've ever received. Long before I started riding, my dad would constantly tell this to me. After being on the bike a bit over the past month, these are some of the truest words anyone has ever told me.
Old 07-02-2010, 08:46 AM   #285
jessepitt
Ride More

Oddometer: 993
Confusing the nOObs

Quote:
Originally Posted by daq7
Yeah if you build the integration to determine the center of mass of the system, I am sure you can demonstrate mathematically beyond doubt that the center of gravity goes up. What is important is that your body does not have to lean with the bike in order to turn. Not having to rotate the mass of your upper body makes the rotational inertia of the bike somewhat lower.
Whether or not standing up changes the center of gravity, it does change the way the bike responds to a given situation. This is where dirt road practice comes into play. Standing in the right situation can be can be a life saver but only with practice. Practice. Practice. Practice.

Please stop confusing the nOObs with pointless arguments over physics. My little brother is just learning to ride this summer and he reads this sh*t so lets try to keep it simple and SAFE! Who thinks about y axis rotation while they are in the middle of a situation?
jessepitt is offline   Reply With Quote