Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-09-2010, 03:05 PM   #301
SgtDuster
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,016
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldirtyrider
When riding in fields or anywhere you cant see the ground because of any kind of cover do NOT go blasting into it assuming its flat. took me two pits and two supermans over 8 ft in the air over the handle bars before i understood that... not too mention bent rims broken clutch cable bent handle bars. ride the field or area atleast once at low speed
We can resume this in a very simple form: DON'T ASSUME ANYTHING. Anywhere, anytime.
SgtDuster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 08:52 PM   #302
rob feature
Domain Ranger

Oddometer: 4,287
I didn't go through all the posts to make sure this hasn't been posted, so forgive me if I'm 205ing. This is an all too often overlooked and potentially deadly detail.

Let's say you've come to a stop sign or other traffic device and you intend to turn right on to this road. Many folks will look left after stopping and then begin the right turn. Not supposed to be anything coming that way, right? Well, do yourself a favor and study right anyway. Every now and again you'll either encounter a poorly engineered road (passing lines) or someone passing on double yellow here. So what happens is you look left, nobody coming, and resume your right turn. Only when you get into it, you realize that someone is overtaking in your lane . More common than you think and dead deadly.

Oh hell, here's one more on the same note. Use extreme caution every time you overtake. If there's an inroad, similar to the above situation, you could be the one overtaking while someone assumes the above situation. Both could end very badly. Traffic engineers don't always take this situation into account. They'll give you a passing lane with an inroad in that section. I've seen many. It's a ticking timebomb.

Hope that saves an ass.

rob feature is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 10:26 PM   #303
daq7
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 571
Better yet when you hit a stop sign. Camp. Look right. Then left. Then set up a survey site and interview passers by about the dangers. Have a milk. Perhaps a bit of a nap. Read a bit of Pride and Prejudice. Perhaps a bit of a wank if you can find a private spot. Then screw your courage to the sticking post like lady MacBeth advocates and ride on...

...or check again just to be safe.
daq7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 10:29 PM   #304
daq7
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 571
Don't assume ANYTHING? Damn, if I can't rely on the mass of the electron, I am pretty much fucked.
daq7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2010, 07:57 AM   #305
Sink
Stay Off The Slab

Oddometer: 910
Quote:
Originally Posted by SgtDuster
We can resume this in a very simple form: DON'T ASSUME ANYTHING. Anywhere, anytime.

When you assume something you make an ass out of u & me

Old sayin' but very true
Old 07-10-2010, 08:17 PM   #306
planemanx15
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,010
Cool2 Sandy ride

Anybody else find it easier in deep sand to stand up and use a ton of throttle like me? I went to some sand pits yesterday and sitting and moving slow just ending up hurting a lot more :(
planemanx15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2010, 11:42 PM   #307
xymotic
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,366
Quote:
Originally Posted by planemanx15
Anybody else find it easier in deep sand to stand up and use a ton of throttle like me? I went to some sand pits yesterday and sitting and moving slow just ending up hurting a lot more :(
yep
"Anyone who doesn't take truth seriously in small matters cannot be trusted in large ones either."
Albert Einstein

Baja trip to the tip
6:10 to Yuma
trials and tribulations in the Mojave
Baja Blitz Yard sale
View Current Location via Spot Tracker
xymotic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2010, 08:37 AM   #308
bostonsr
Just weight

Oddometer: 8,402
the hardest part about riding motorcycles is getting them stopped in a hurry. ALWAYS let this fact guide your chosen speed out on the road. there is no worse sinking feeling than when you've got too much speed.

abe

"If you want me to forgive and forget about it, stop reminding me about it."
bostonsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2010, 10:16 PM   #309
xymotic
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bostonsr
the hardest part about riding motorcycles is getting them stopped in a hurry. ALWAYS let this fact guide your chosen speed out on the road. there is no worse sinking feeling than when you've got too much speed.

abe
yep
"Anyone who doesn't take truth seriously in small matters cannot be trusted in large ones either."
Albert Einstein

Baja trip to the tip
Baja Blitz Yard sale
Old 07-11-2010, 10:55 PM   #310
SgtDuster
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,016
Quote:
Originally Posted by xymotic
yep
SgtDuster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 01:11 AM   #311
xymotic
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SgtDuster
Just being agreeable.

Though, I was wrong... there is something worse than the feeling you get when you realize you have too much speed: The feeling you get when the sudden deceleration from that speed occurs. In my case sliding into the ditch sort of sucked, smashing my clavicle into the bars and snapping it sort of sucked more.
Albert Einstein

Baja trip to the tip
Baja Blitz Yard sale
Old 07-12-2010, 08:59 PM   #312
sdwebb

Oddometer: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishenough
Great tips.

Only ride when you at 100%, and if; your on medication for a head cold or such, emotional due to problems at work or home, or even just lacking on sleep and have had too many hours in the sun – park the bike, it’ll still be there when your back to being yourself. Have heard great, and not so great, biking advice over the years but if you’re not up to the ride don’t. Have seen friends go down hard with only a bad hangover and late night as an excuse. My only street off was due too much Sudafed and delayed reactions resulting in a minor low side. The good stuff is these times are few and far between.

Didn't see this advice mentioned.
I have to agree with this one - I fell asleep on an on-ramp to the expressway and finished my bike. Fortunately I was a little luckier. I didn't own another bike for twenty years after that experience. Now I only ride when I am rested and feeling 100% - and never ride if I've had even one beer.

My generic advice on driving in general is not to be in a hurry. Think of how many accidents you've witnessed because someone was trying to shave a minute or two off of their trip ... running a "yellow", turning in-front of an oncoming car, cutting someone off, following too closely, or just plain going too fast for the conditions ... all will end up in a wreck sooner or later.
sdwebb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 11:14 AM   #313
KnuckC
F8er

Oddometer: 199
Quote:
I've had one (exactly) look-mommy-that-man-dropped-his-motorcycle incident in a filling station late at night, heavily loaded, hypothermic, fatigued and doing my just-put-one-foot-down-when-stopping-'cause-it-looks-cool number. I learned. I Dropped the new K bike when pulling out into the street, being surprised by traffic from behind a parked truck, hitting the brakes and stopping with my foot exactly high centered over the gutter---too far down.
Stopping with one foot down is not "cool" it is essential riding technique. Everyone regardless of how tall they are MUST learn to stop with one foot (left) down and the other on the brake. Otherwise you are stopping using the front brake which may cause instability and two feet down will make it difficult to start back up on a steep hill. Although uncomfortable at first, with practice it becomes second nature.

Having said that, it is important to know what you are putting your foot down on and the grade of the road. Make sure there is no oil or other slippery debris, be extra careful on loose surfaces such as gravel and be aware of the grade of the road as it may be uneven and sloped away from you.
KnuckC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 12:34 PM   #314
tigerboy
Tight as a Tiger

Oddometer: 110
Target fixation, we usually think, happens in a panic situation. It can also happen when you get bored. The day was long, I found myself staring at the bike in front of me for a stretch in Ohio, it was a Harley, and he slows down. I pass to get around him and next thing I knew, I just ran a red light, no way to stop (hey, that's why he did, duh!). Of course he's thinking I'm an a$$h@t rider, and rightfully so. Not to mention I could have gotten clobbered.

Next, when you are waiting for traffic to clear in one direction before pulling out from a sidestreet, driveway or gas station, be sure to check the other direction just in case to make sure it is still clear, last time you checked. Sometimes it isn't, since you had your focus on that one direction with all the traffic that passed. I've made this mistake more than once fortunately catching myself in time.

Tigerboy.com
tigerboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 06:00 PM   #315
blackgypsy
Adventurer

Oddometer: 34
Never, ever leave the bike when it is moving. Getting thrown clear is a myth and bad for the bike and the rider. It sucks to have broken bones.

Helmets save lives. Mine did. The AGV died, but I lived.
blackgypsy is offline   Reply With Quote