Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > The perfect line and other riding myths
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-28-2010, 09:33 AM   #31
Tucson Jim
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 561
Ride like you are invisable and everyone is trying to kill you.

Everytime you stop use the same techniques you would use in an emergency. I start with light rear brake to scrub a little speed and then apply the front right afterwards, using BOTH brakes together. May not be the right way but it works for me.

Been on a motorcycle since '78 and haven't put it down (on asphalt) yet. Knock on wood!

Assume they are going to pull in front of you, they will change lanes without signaling, don't ride in their blind spot, flash your brakelight a few times when stopping, install an extra 'cyclops' brake light.

ATGATT. Helmet, boots, gloves, long sleeves/pants, padded jacket.

Learning in the dirt made me appreciate the subleties of turning and stopping.

The only decision you have to make is what to do with the time you have been given

'07 Vulcan 1500 FI
Tucson Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2010, 06:32 PM   #32
Mountain Cruiser
Banned

Oddometer: 1,204
My advice, slow down and enjoy the ride.

Riceman
Mountain Cruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2010, 06:48 PM   #33
EDS_TLS
Adventurer

Oddometer: 49
dress warm

'97 TL1000S
'99 YZ125
'05 200exc
EDS_TLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2010, 10:29 PM   #34
jonoh71
Adventurer

Oddometer: 50
Best thread I've read to date. I think you guys have already saved me at least one crash.
Keep em comin'...
Jon
jonoh71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2010, 11:42 PM   #35
Guano11
Half Decaf

Oddometer: 1,226
Don't add alcohol.

Not saying "never, ever" -- but not just yet. Alcohol always increases risk, and a Noob has enough risk factors to mitigate already. No need to add one voluntarily.

Regardless of what your relationship with alcohol is, don't mix it with riding.
Guano11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 04:09 AM   #36
MustTourEurope
Adventurer

Oddometer: 67
Practice VERY FAST head turns/shoulder checks(when changing lanes, turning at junctions)...you'll never know the one in front of you(car,bike,drunk guy running ) may have abruptly stopped to avoid Godzilla's poo. You don't want to be mixed up with the poo, do you?
MustTourEurope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 05:10 AM   #37
cold_fire
Famous Head Scratcher

Oddometer: 289
When in doubt, gas it (especially in the dirt).
Ride on the wheel tracks, not between them.
Keep at least a 2 seconds distance between you and the vehicle in front of you.
In an emergency brake situation, take a quick peek in your mirrors. There's a good probability that the guy behind you didn't see you brake.
Always scan the road and look for the odd vehicle.
Keep your head cool. There's just no contest between a 200kg bike and an 1.5 ton car.
Drivers aren't evil (or, at least, 99% of them), they just don't see you. Make yourself visible. Add lights, horns, wear hi-viz. If you suspect one is going to cut you off at an intersection, swerve in front of him or stand on the pegs.
Stay out of blind spots. If you don't see the driver's eyes in his mirror, he won't see you.
As someone noted before, ride dirt. It'll teach you a lot faster and a lot less painful the limits of traction.
Take a track day, even if you've only got a 125.
Never push through a blind corner.
Old 03-29-2010, 05:36 AM   #38
duck
Banned

Oddometer: 10,403
When you're using the gears and engine compression to slow the bike, be sure to tap the front or rear brake to light up your brake light to let the car behind you know that you're slowing.
duck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 07:41 AM   #39
Uhuru
Wildest place I've been

Oddometer: 153
Quote:
Originally Posted by duck
When you're using the gears and engine compression to slow the bike, be sure to tap the front or rear brake to light up your brake light to let the car behind you know that you're slowing.
+1. And keep checking who's coming up in the lanes beside/behind you, even though you're sure no one is there.
Old 03-29-2010, 10:04 AM   #40
DAKEZ
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 19,690
Project yourself out.

Take in what is going on well ahead of where you are. Project yourself out 12 seconds whenever possible.

Knowing what is coming far ahead enables you to warn those behind you (lane weave, flashing your brake lights…) as to what is going on.

It also allows you to change lanes and smoothly ride past what may have put you in harms way.

Smooth is where its at.

RIDE SMART. RIDE OFTEN.
Old 03-29-2010, 06:28 PM   #41
Z50R
Not lost yet

Oddometer: 790
When you are riding behind another motorcycle, watch the road, not the other bike. You will make every mistake the other rider makes and more.

My only semi serious accident was because I was using their line instead of choosing my own and followed them through gravel.

Also, if you get any kind of chance, take your bike off road. I started on a 450 nighthawk. This is not a dirt bike but that didn't stop me from driving through road construction on the weekends/empty lots/dirty alleys. You learn a lot when you are forced to deal with low traction in an environment you have a bit of control over. Start slow and play around with intentionally losing traction under each of your wheels. It is easy for a motorcycle instructor to tell you what to do when your front wheel lets go but a lot more difficult to let go of the lever if you have never dealt with the issue.
Z50R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 06:52 PM   #42
R-A-M-O-N
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 297
When you actually take your bike for a ride please be honest to tell us how you completely forgot about this thread and pushed your bike to 150mph on a heavy traffic freeway So we can tell you how a bad noob you are

I always remember no matter how good the advice people gave me i just had to try things for myself first. I did many stupid things that way but learned the consecuences of that so now im less stupid i hope.

Anyway dont be afraid to learn from your own mistakes no one can teach you that better than you.
R-A-M-O-N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 06:56 PM   #43
brumbie13
Born to be Mild

Oddometer: 126
Don't try to be better than you are.

I've never tried to be better than I am, yet I have continually gotten better.

Remember how long it took you to get good at driving a car?
Not just comfortable, I mean REALLY good.
It wasn't a week, it wasn't a month, it was probably, at minimum, a year... in reality, probably longer.

More experience will increase your skill.
You've got nothing to gain by trying to be better than you really are.

Dotse:
Riding a motorcycle doesn't require near as much focus as driving a car!
brumbie13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 08:17 PM   #44
ralpfsbud
Semper Fi

Oddometer: 14
ive seen a couple of things that kicked my memory since my last post.

#1 my rule is 2 WHEELS, 2 BEERS. thats it.....

also watch the guy ahead of you if there is one, but keep your eyes on the road/trail. pick your own line and try them, just keep an eye out for clues; like hes slowing down , hes cutting in for a corner etc. he has even more forward site than you do, just dont follow his line because he rode it, use your advance knowledge, be using his indicators(like slowing or moving over) as a pre vision of whats coming, but ride what you can see, i dont think you can look far enough ahead, so if somebody is ahead of you use their reaction to whats coming around the bend, to GUIDE you , not LEAD you where you are going
Thank god for the United States Marine Corps." eleanor roosevelt, 1945
ralpfsbud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 08:37 PM   #45
ralpfsbud
Semper Fi

Oddometer: 14
oh yea,

NOBODY can see you, thats what they say anyhow, flash that brake light as much as you can before you have to slow down or stop. WATCH all the vehicles around you when your on the hardball, and the trees when your on the dirt, they really sneak up on you. i got in a head on collision with a car my second year riding, kid came the wrong way out of a blind one way and hit me at a combined 45. i was fine(due to having my helmet etc, on and having a backpack full of laundry from the laundrymat, i almost ripped him out of the car and broke him in half, but alas, he was 15 with 3 girls in the car, ive been there. never hit a bike, but i sure could have. NOBODY is thinking about a bike coming at them or around them, there busy with all the crap cages have standard now. just pay attention, and most of all

HAVE FUN(and stay on the back roads as much as possible)
Thank god for the United States Marine Corps." eleanor roosevelt, 1945
ralpfsbud is offline   Reply With Quote