Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > The perfect line and other riding myths
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-12-2010, 04:55 AM   #466
Krbczech
Almost tacticool...

Oddometer: 601
I like this thread. It's nice to hear a "Go get 'em, kid!" every now and then, rather than the typical patronizing dick-measuring.

Great advice; this n00b salutes you.
Old 12-13-2010, 09:38 PM   #467
Gasser
Control crash rider

Oddometer: 140
Quote:
Originally Posted by MotoMusicMark View Post
I'm doing some research on what would be more helpful to know at a persons start in motorcycling versus learning it over years in the "school of hard knocks".

Things like..."Don't transport a bike on the centerstand. It might break the frame". or "Standing up on the pegs or at least putting more pressure on them makes the bike less top heavy and better to control at low speed".

Could you help my research by answering the following question...What did you wish someone told you about motorcycling when you first started out?

Thanks. Mark Tillack
Brinkhaven, OH(USA)
1. Go faster than the crash!
2. Go fast take chances.
3. When in doubt gas the snot out of it.
4. Never stop if someone is trying to wave you down on privet property.
5. Ride out the injury to gain back strength.
6. Learn to ride a dirt bike at pro level before you buy a 1000cc crotch rocket.
7. Don't smoke pot if you race/stunt on the street.
8. Glue short windshield wiper blades on both gloves.
9. Always ware ear plugs dirt or street.
10. Pull a filter skin over your head with eye peep holes when racing in dusty conditions.
11. Perfect suspension setup on a slug bike will win races more than a improperly sprung fast bike.
12. Do all your braking/gear selection before the turn.
13. Mix nut & bolt antiseize with Duralub for a extra long lasting bullet proof chain.
14. Lastly...don't get married if you want to race/ride full time.
Old 12-15-2010, 01:30 PM   #468
ULY-RPG
cool hands adv

Oddometer: 294
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gasser View Post
1. Go faster than the crash!
14. Lastly...don't get married if you want to race/ride full time.
So true
ULY-RPG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2010, 07:05 PM   #469
Crash-Resistant

Oddometer: 125
Quote:
Originally Posted by BykMyk View Post
Counter Steering....it's a miracle.
+1000... I read about it over and over and thought I understood it till one day when I was putting around, stuck behind an RV.. it just clicked.

'wait a sec.. when I turn the bars left, the bike goes right, completely on its own!' Total epiphany. Riding has been infinitely easier since then.
Old 12-28-2010, 10:59 AM   #470
steveO-Ray
BikELess Vagrant

Oddometer: 578
Question about dual-sport bikes and leaning.

I've got a DRZ400S with death wings currently. As a nOOb I don't have any doubt that I can't push the bike to the point that the tires would lose traction in a lean because of the angle. Yet how much of a difference do knobbies or dual-sport tires make in leaning capability?
"It is not the critic who counts:...The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena...who, at the best, knows, in the end, the triumph of high achievement, and who, at the worst, if he fails, at least he fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who knew neither victory nor defeat."
-Teddy Roosevelt
steveO-Ray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010, 09:02 AM   #471
Thinc2
Paciugo

Oddometer: 4,484
Quote:
Originally Posted by steveO-Ray View Post
Question about dual-sport bikes and leaning.

I've got a DRZ400S with death wings currently. As a nOOb I don't have any doubt that I can't push the bike to the point that the tires would lose traction in a lean because of the angle. Yet how much of a difference do knobbies or dual-sport tires make in leaning capability?
Ever see some of the pictures of how far some riders can lean these big dual sport bikes - even fully loaded - modern tires are amazing. But the reason these guys get so much lean angle is that they are super smooth. Any incorrect input on the throttle at heavy lean angles will make you break traction. The fast guys are the smooth guys.

My skill level will never exceed the tire traction on the street. My lack of skill will easily exceed the tire traction.
Thinc2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2010, 05:13 AM   #472
PFFOG
Richard Alps-aholic

Oddometer: 1,922
Thumb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thinc2 View Post
.............. But the reason these guys get so much lean angle is that they are super smooth. ................................... The fast guys are the smooth guys...

YUP!! Never try to be fast, always work on smooth, because smooth IS fast.
PFFOG is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2010, 08:37 AM   #473
steveO-Ray
BikELess Vagrant

Oddometer: 578
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thinc2 View Post
Ever see some of the pictures of how far some riders can lean these big dual sport bikes - even fully loaded - modern tires are amazing. But the reason these guys get so much lean angle is that they are super smooth. Any incorrect input on the throttle at heavy lean angles will make you break traction. The fast guys are the smooth guys.

My skill level will never exceed the tire traction on the street. My lack of skill will easily exceed the tire traction.
That makes sense, I need to go out and find a place to practice. I have no doubt it will be a long time before I can even get close to achieving such lean angles. Certainly can be a bit nerve racking since it's not really the natural thing to do.
"It is not the critic who counts:...The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena...who, at the best, knows, in the end, the triumph of high achievement, and who, at the worst, if he fails, at least he fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who knew neither victory nor defeat."
-Teddy Roosevelt
steveO-Ray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2010, 08:46 AM   #474
PFFOG
Richard Alps-aholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveO-Ray View Post
That makes sense, I need to go out and find a place to practice. I have no doubt it will be a long time before I can even get close to achieving such lean angles. Certainly can be a bit nerve racking since it's not really the natural thing to do.
TRACK DAYS!!!!! The only safe place (relatively ) to learn the art. The local riders I run with have nicknamed me Mr Smooth. Even on the track, I have been told by strangers I look so smooth that they like to go out behind me.

Last year in Europe I rented a F800 GS and at the first roundabout, I was scraping the center stand. that was five minutes after getting on one for the first time.

In Italy this past October, was on a R12GS, 2 up and at least once a day was scraping the stand in turns, hadn't ridden one in 3 years.

PFFOG screwed with this post 12-31-2010 at 08:52 AM
Old 12-31-2010, 01:39 PM   #475
dwoodward
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,673
Quote:
Originally Posted by PFFOG View Post
TRACK DAYS!!!!! The only safe place (relatively ) to learn the art.
Some day, TRACK DAYS!!!!! people will come to realize not everyone rides a bike suitable for that environment.

Certainly, I wouldn't take a DRZ400S out to play with squids on R1s.
dwoodward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2011, 07:57 AM   #476
PFFOG
Richard Alps-aholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwoodward View Post
Some day, TRACK DAYS!!!!! people will come to realize not everyone rides a bike suitable for that environment.

Certainly, I wouldn't take a DRZ400S out to play with squids on R1s.

Spoken like someone that has never been to one. A DRZS with dual sport tires is a very capable bike to hit track days, yes it may not help you explore the art of feeling traction in dirt and gravel, but if you ride the street at all, it is a safe way to rapidly improve your skills.

All track day organizations cater to ALL skills and types of bikes, I have seen tons of dual sport's, Gold Wings, and Ninja 250's. All had a great time and learned how to be smoother and better control their bikes.

And even with dual sport tires, a good rider on that DRZ, could outrun half the kids on R1's in the intermediate and beginner classes, especially on a tight technical track.

If you don't want to embarrass those R1 riders, then go find a motard track.

PFFOG screwed with this post 01-01-2011 at 08:09 AM
Old 01-05-2011, 02:17 PM   #477
bcdaum
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 143
As said in a seminar by "Helen Two Wheels". You will run out of nerve long before your tires run out of grip.

'98 S1W
'00 1150 GS
'03 1100S BCP(traded)
'08 XB12X
bcdaum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 02:45 PM   #478
pack-n-ride
SHERPA SCOTT

Oddometer: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motopapillon View Post
1) Don't hit anything.
2) Don't let anything hit you.
3) Don't fall over.

Sounds simple enough, doesn't it?

M-P
Fear not the throttle for it can save you in times of self doubt
Old 01-13-2011, 10:19 AM   #479
chef_of_the_future
You talking to me?

Oddometer: 263
Remember:

THEY ALL DO THAT!!

2007 1200GS
chef_of_the_future is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 10:12 PM   #480
CuboiD
n00b

Oddometer: 1
Talking

Only ride when you feel like riding!! Never ride angry, tired, drunk, or commute when you're not in the 'mood'. (you will always waaannt to ride when you're drunk, but don't).

upgrade your stock headlight right away, even for daytime.

Good luck!!!
CuboiD is offline   Reply With Quote