User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-16-2011, 12:17 PM   #481
basque
Infidel

Oddometer: 679
Might be 205, but my two favorites are:

- 'Everyone is trying to kill you' (cages, obviously)
- 'Pavement is undefeated'

Had my first get-off on the pavement a few years back after 21 years of street riding. I was following too closely on a busy highway. The car in front of me was cut off and locked up his brakes. When I saw the smoke from his tires, I grabbed WAY too much front brake (on knobbies no less!). My face (full-face helmet) hit the ground before I could even let go of the bars.

Once I hit the deck, I could hear the cars behind me skidding to avoid me. I was fairly certain I was going to be hit....NOT cool.

Result was a f'ed up shoulder and a dislocated kneecap.

Totally avoidable. Taught me lesson #3:

- 'Leave A TON of room between you and the guy ahead of you'
basque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 02:52 PM   #482
br0m
Adventurer

Oddometer: 87
2 x the speed = 4 x the stopping distance
br0m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 08:12 PM   #483
Ride_There
Will ride for bacon.

Oddometer: 3,090
Look where you want to go, not at what you don't want to hit.
Ride_There is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 10:31 AM   #484
bvail
n00b

Oddometer: 2
Ride Like a Pro

Don't feel like going through all 533 posts, but in case no one has recommended this, I would wholeheartedly www.ridelikeapro.com

2003 Suzuki V-Strom
2006 Honda GL1800
2006 Aspen Classic Camper Trailer
bvail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 08:56 PM   #485
Kürbczech
Almost tacticool...

Oddometer: 601
Quote:
Originally Posted by ride_there View Post
look where you want to go, not at what you don't want to hit.
+1

Kürbczech screwed with this post 01-23-2011 at 09:02 PM
Kürbczech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 02:40 AM   #486
macadamia
XK Red 27 Technique

Oddometer: 1,373
look where you want to go - look through the turn

push on the right handgrip, go right - push on the left handgrip, go left... countersteering is physics 101 on a motorcycle, not a myth

if your throttle hand hurts / goes numb, it usually means you are gripping the handgrip too tightly. Relax, grip the tank with your knees, use your core muscles, and lighten your grip on the handgrip. Sometimes, vibration can contribute to this, so crampbusters or grip puppies can help.

Get your suspension adjusted for your riding style and your weight. Upgrade if necessary. This will make a world of difference on how your bike handles.

macadamia screwed with this post 01-25-2011 at 04:22 AM
macadamia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 06:16 PM   #487
gstwowheel
slowrider

Oddometer: 15
At longer stops look over the whole scene

Great Posts.
I am making it a habit to scan the overall picture, side streets, parking lots, etc durng unavoidable waits, like in stalled traffic or at stop signs. It is too easy to focus on just the oncoming traffic looking for a break to enter. With a scan of the overall picture you can catch cages exiting from parking lots, trying to turn left in the middle of the block etc.

Also anything that disrupts the normal traffic flow increases hazards considerably. Construction and accidents are two big issues that trigger inattention and irritate drivers. The delays may lead to stupid moves on the part of cages like sudden lane changes unexpected u turns, etc.
gstwowheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 04:31 AM   #488
Migs
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 165
I think I've read all of this thread, including adding my own advice to it, but one bit that sticks out to me is the one about:

"pay complete attention"

I have two friends in separate instances who suddenly found themselves on the ground. Both experienced riders, both ended up with broken bones. Neither of them know what happened, and both get-offs were at very slow speed.
Migs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 06:11 AM   #489
GliderDude
LiveDog

Oddometer: 6
1. Leave PLENTY of room in front… If you are too close there will be little/NO time to maneuver around debris including something the vehicle in front creates… Fragments of blown tires have nasty steel projections that act like razors and road kill can become an airborne projectile…
2.Be extra careful when turning on multi-lane roads, expect others NOT and anticipate merge zones in close proximity…
3.Have good rear view mirrors, adjust them properly and remember to turn your head to check blind spots… Some gawking drivers like to drive in your blind spot and ride your bike vicariously…
4.Watch/prepare for pavement that has been cut nearly parallel to your travel/intended turn…
5.Subscribe to/regularly re-review accident/injury reports/statistics/analysis to learn/refresh how/why motorcycle accidents happen and their resulting injuries… Ride/dress commensurately…
6.It is better if you can progress from smaller/dirt bikes up to cruisers/touring models… Consider yourself handicapped if this has not been part of your learning/experience…
7.Pick your riding friends with care…
8.Instruments/receivers/GPS can be distractions and safety features… It takes VERY diligent time/effort/practice/constant awareness to use these features properly…
9.Do not skimp/compromise tires/pressures/brakes/pads/brake fluid (affinity to absorb water)…
10.Never compete with another vehicle for status on the road… Put your ego/pride/’rights’ in proper perspective with the proverb; ‘it is better to be a live dog than a dead lion’…
11. NOTE: Riding a motorcycle is more dangerous than launching (taking off)/landing a soaring aircraft (no engine)…
12.Practice/study good riding skills (‘train your brain’)… It is not a matter of IF but WHEN… Been there…

GliderDude screwed with this post 01-30-2011 at 01:39 AM
GliderDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 11:15 AM   #490
xymotic
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,366
Hopefully you are not that hard to see on the road
Quote:
Originally Posted by GliderDude View Post
1. Leave PLENTY of room in front… If you are too close there will be little/NO time to maneuver around debris including something the vehicle in front creates… Fragments of blown tires have nasty steel projections that act like razors and road kill can become an airborne projectile…
2.Be extra careful when turning on multi-lane roads, expect others NOT and anticipate merge zones in close proximity…
3.Have good rear view mirrors, adjust them properly and remember to turn your head to check blind spots… Some gawking drivers like to drive in your blind spot and ride your bike vicariously…
4.Watch/prepare for pavement that has been cut nearly parallel to your travel/intended turn…
5.Subscribe to/regularly re-review accident/injury reports/statistics/analysis to learn/refresh how/why motorcycle accidents happen and their resulting injuries… Ride/dress commensurately…
6.It is better if you can progress from smaller/dirt bikes up to cruisers/touring models… Consider yourself handicapped if this has not been part of your learning/experience…
7.Pick your riding friends with care…
8.Instruments/receivers/GPS can be distractions and safety features… It takes VERY diligent time/effort/practice/constant awareness to use these features properly…
9.Do not skimp/compromise tires/pressures/brakes/pads/brake fluid (affinity to absorb water)…
10.Never compete with another vehicle for status on the road… Put your ego/pride/’rights’ in proper perspective with the proverb; ‘it is better to be a live dog than a dead lion’…
11. NOTE: Riding a motorcycle is more dangerous than launching (taking off)/landing a soaring aircraft (no engine)…
12.Practice/study good riding skills (‘train your brain’)… It is not a matter of IF but WHEN… Been there…
"Anyone who doesn't take truth seriously in small matters cannot be trusted in large ones either."
Albert Einstein

Baja trip to the tip
6:10 to Yuma
trials and tribulations in the Mojave
Baja Blitz Yard sale
View Current Location via Spot Tracker
xymotic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 04:35 PM   #491
duck
Banned

Oddometer: 10,404
Quote:
NEVER trust your mirrors. If you want to really know what's going on around you then you have to look.
duck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 05:43 PM   #492
Ride_There
Will ride for bacon.

Oddometer: 3,090
Quote:
Originally Posted by xymotic View Post
hopefully you are not that hard to see on the road
+1
Ride_There is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 05:18 PM   #493
PaulRider
Adventurer

Oddometer: 10
Ride like you are invisible and no one can see you.

PR
PaulRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 02:50 PM   #494
Haraldgs
n00b

Oddometer: 3
Take a riding class!
I wish they had those when I started riding because it's amazing I didn't kill myself while learning.
Haraldgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 11:57 AM   #495
WeeMcD
V-Strom explorer

Oddometer: 429
Wait a while to go out on group rides. Only ride with others who you know have skills and judgment worth sharing. Group rides have a way of forcing you to ride beyond your abilities. Develop skills and judgment of your own before joining the pack.

"When all else fails get a bigger hammer."
WeeMcD is offline   Reply With Quote