Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > The perfect line and other riding myths
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-24-2011, 02:45 PM   #526
daq7
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 571
If you are going to do something strange in an unusual merge situation, make sure your wife on her G650 knows about it so she doesn't run into the back of you and break the beak on her bike.

I'm just saying...
daq7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 12:13 AM   #527
Superdave Osborne
Runs with scissors

Oddometer: 47
Try to avoid riding with the kickstand down.
Old 02-25-2011, 06:11 AM   #528
orangebear
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,220
Quote:
Originally Posted by Superdave Osborne View Post
Try to avoid riding with the kickstand down.
all ways double check your side stand is up as most old bike dont have safety switches.
Klr650c the 1 I should not of wasted my money on
Honda xl125rc powered by a cg125 block fun wee bike
orangebear is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 06:33 AM   #529
LuciferMutt
Rides slow bike slow

Oddometer: 11,132
Quote:
Originally Posted by daq7 View Post
If you are going to do something strange in an unusual merge situation, make sure your wife on her G650 knows about it so she doesn't run into the back of you and break the beak on her bike.

I'm just saying...

Badasses might screw with another badass. Nobody screws with a nut job. -- Plaka
LuciferMutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 11:38 AM   #530
duck
Banned

Oddometer: 10,403
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aussijussi View Post
Night riding, dont, if you can avoid it, the risk of colliding with wildlife for example, must be ten fold.
I really enjoy riding at night. It's a different riding experience and fun in it's own way. Most deer can be avoided if you keep your speed reasonable, have decent lighting and are actively looking for deer. Is it a little more dangerous? Yep. Is it worth it to me? Yep.

That said, if I'm riding at night and see lots of deer I'll slow down a bit and then stop for the night at the next possible spot. (campground or motel)
duck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 01:10 PM   #531
shu

Oddometer: 989
Quote:
Originally Posted by duck View Post
Most deer can be avoided if you keep your speed reasonable, have decent lighting and are actively looking for deer.
Well, take your own chances of course, but I try not to anymore.

-50 mph on a 60 mph road, in an SUV, wide awake and aware of the danger, 2 of us in the front, very good highbeams burning: Neither of us saw the deer. We smashed it, did well over $5000 damage to the car. (we found the bucks antler stuck completely through the front side panel).

-Friend on the interstate on his R100RS ended up in the hospital after a night time deer crash.

-Going hiking, getting a early morning start, hit a deer in my car.

-another friend, traveling to Montana, deer jumped right into the side of her car. Thousands of dollars of damage. ("I didn't hit the deer, officer. It hit me!)

These are just a few of my personal experiences or of people I know well. Everybody's got their own stories, and they're just too common to brush off, I think. I try not to ride at night anymore.

...........shu
shu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 01:58 PM   #532
duck
Banned

Oddometer: 10,403
The thing is that deer do that leap out in front of you crap during the daytime too. Lots of clips on YouTube. The one time I've had a deer leap out in front of me on a bike was in the daytime. Fortunately in wasn't right in front of me so I missed it. But I've gotten pretty close a few times at night in a car so yeah, there's a risk.

Last summer in Montana I was riding late at night (around 10pm) and I came to one section of road where there was a deer by the side of the road (live) about every few hundred yards. It had to have been a herd or a migration path. I dropped my speed down to about 40 for the rest of the way and stopped at the next town.
duck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 02:03 PM   #533
Aussijussi
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,133
Also while riding at night, any rubbish that might be on the road, is really hard to see until you're right on top of it. Going thru twistie's is just pain in the arse as you cant see far enough to know which way the road turns next, i'll admit my night vision isnt what it used to be, being an old fart, but that moose will come out of nowhere in a flash, no matter how good your eyes are,as few people find out every year. Luckily at this latitude, Finland, there is practically 'no night' during the summer month's anyway. My advice is still, stay off the bike after dark.
Aussijussi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 07:02 AM   #534
GliderDude
LiveDog

Oddometer: 6
Read a good/technical book about motorcycling, i.e. 'Proficient Motorcycling' (the ultimate guide to riding well) 2nd edition by David Hough... There are others that are also excellent and lend an additional/reinforcing perspsective...
GliderDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 12:13 PM   #535
Ramseybella
Adventurer

Oddometer: 97
Riding in Dirt is a good teacher, you’re always in a critical position and total mayhem is lurking at every turn things happen in a split.

You learn the balance, breaking and throttling and one important rule no mater who’s fault it is its always the bikers fault, you’re going to have a great ride or you’re going to get bruised, hurt, handicapped or Killed it is the plane truth!
You need to have eyes like a spider and judgment and reflexes like a Cat and do all this while enjoying your ride and taking in the views.

Don't be a hot head be a good dedicated committed rider, never be a Lemming and follow a Fool leaders lines if it does not feel right.

Ramseybella screwed with this post 02-27-2011 at 12:25 PM
Ramseybella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 05:02 PM   #536
wayfastwhity108
Adventurer

Oddometer: 53
easy to do.....

once you lose the respect for the bike and the way you ride it, YOU WILL WRECK! this will not make sense to anyone until it happens and when it happens you will very quickly realize you F'd up LOL! i have done it and i am sure a lot of other riders on here have to...

HAVE FUN AND STAY SAFE!
Old 03-10-2011, 12:57 PM   #537
wanderind
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 254
For noobs who have recently bought their first motorcycle:

Do not go bike shopping as soon as you are uncomfortable about some aspect of your ride. Ride whatever you have (even if you find it bigger than needed) and master it inside-out to an extent that you know its dynamics even blind-folded. This thorough experience on a single machine in your early years will enable you learn and adapt to other motorcycles safely.

After having ridden for a while, and when you get a second one - do not ever underestimate the dynamics of an unfamiliar motorcycle. Be extra-vigilant and extra-conservative (this word found a use, finally ) while stopping, cornering etc. I graduated directly from a 100cc to 1100cc motorcycle and the extra mental stress associated with being hyper-vigilant paid off.

ride safe!!
wanderind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 09:20 AM   #538
orangebear
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,220
never buy a brand new bike for your 1st one. best to get a 2rd hand one incase you drop it ect. all ways wear a helmet never ride with out
Klr650c the 1 I should not of wasted my money on
Honda xl125rc powered by a cg125 block fun wee bike
orangebear is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 12:25 PM   #539
g8rdude
Go Gators!!!!

Oddometer: 73
While stopped at a light, keep the bike in 1st gear just in case you need to make a quick get away from the car behind you that doesn't see you.

Always keep your eyes moving/scanning for possible dangers. Never get focused on one thing.
Old 03-14-2011, 12:52 PM   #540
g8rdude
Go Gators!!!!

Oddometer: 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhistlingFool View Post
I use my rear brake a lot.. ....

I trail brake in corners.. IE I ride the rear brake to create more stability in a corner. (read the physics in Total Control)

I'll lightly use the rear to dump some speed in a corner.
I use my rear brake a lot as well, mostly because I'm on an 800+ lb motorcycle. I like the feeling of the added stability.