Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-30-2010, 02:55 AM   #46
Todd-Squad
See Ya, Bye.

Oddometer: 751
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tucson Jim
Everytime you stop use the same techniques you would use in an emergency. I start with light rear brake to scrub a little speed and then apply the front right afterwards, using BOTH brakes together. May not be the right way but it works for me.
I'm not sure why you think using BOTH brakes together is the wrong way? Using both brakes together is absolutely the best way. The majority of your stopping power is in your front brake. You also use the rear to keep the bike going straight, otherwise the back end is moving faster than the front and it will slide out on you. Conversely, if you only use your rear brake, the back end will skid out and one of two things will happen. If your lucky, it will just take longer to stop and you skid the back tire a bit side ways. If your not lucky, the bike gets sideways and catapults you in what is known as a high side.

I'm teaching my 9 year old daughter to ride a dirt bike right now. The main thing I try to get into her head is to do most of her slowing down with both brakes before she gets to a corner. Once she starts turning, only use the bake brake in the corner.

I'm sure someone will pipe up and say that you can use both brakes in a corner, which is technically correct. What your trying to avoid is locking up the front wheel in a corner. The instant you lock up the front wheel in a corner, the bike washes out from under you in what is known as a low side.

Good luck, and have fun out there.

Todd-Squad
Old 03-30-2010, 09:31 AM   #47
LuciferMutt
Rides slow bike slow

Oddometer: 10,781
Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd-Squad
You also use the rear to keep the bike going straight, otherwise the back end is moving faster than the front and it will slide out on you.

I didn't realize the back end of the bike slowed down at a different rate than the front...

Badasses might screw with another badass. Nobody screws with a nut job. -- Plaka
LuciferMutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2010, 11:44 AM   #48
DADODIRT
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,256
[quote=MotoMusicMark]

Could you help my research by answering the following question...What did you wish someone told you about motorcycling when you first started out?

How addicting it is. I thought I would use the bike for fun a few weeks of the year. Twenty years later and most sunny days it is all I can do to stay focused on anything but 'when do I get to ride'.
Old 03-30-2010, 02:53 PM   #49
oldairhd
Adventurer

Oddometer: 51
Pick your own line.

I like that, too. But take it a bit further: It's always up to you, and never someone else's fault if you run out of traction, space, braking distance, physical stamina, visual or mental acuity.

Otherwise, when you crash because it was the stupid driver, the deer, the gravel in the road, or whatever, it'll be just as painful but you'll never learn.

My favorite practical tip is "always aim the front wheel for somewhere you want it to go." We get to feeling pretty invincible, driving over stuff in a car that will get you killed on a bike...

oldairhd screwed with this post 03-30-2010 at 09:03 PM
oldairhd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2010, 05:41 PM   #50
Schickmeister
Youngin'

Oddometer: 2,659
Quote:
Originally Posted by ralpfsbud
#1 my rule is 2 WHEELS, 2 BEERS. thats it.....

as a new rider...I'm going with 2 wheels, 0 beers.

doesn't rhyme as well, but I think the end result is better.
Old 03-30-2010, 06:02 PM   #51
eskimo
gunga-galunga

Oddometer: 941
-- When following a car or truck, stay in a line behind one if its wheels. Dead skunks and other debris often surprisingly emerge from under the center of four-wheeled vehicles.

-- Painted lines on roads, especially turning arrows, are slippery. Especially when slightly wet.
eskimo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2010, 06:21 PM   #52
duck
Banned

Oddometer: 10,404
Metal plates are slick when wet.

When riding grooved pavement or metal bridge decks, relax and keep the front wheel pointed forward. Depending upon the tires and bike, different ones will tend to make the front wheel want to track to some extent. All you need to do is not fight it and keep the bike pointed in the general direction you want to go.
duck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2010, 08:17 PM   #53
Crash-Resistant

Oddometer: 125
Quote:
Originally Posted by DevilNinjaDog

I didn't realize the back end of the bike slowed down at a different rate than the front...

I think he meant the back of the bike wants to go faster than the front if you dont use the back brake. If the back is going faster, you're already starting to spin.

Anyway. n00b advice? Leave room in your budget for proper gear. It seems a lot of people start out with bare minimum, right at the time when they are (statistically) most likely to need it.

You don't wanna get killed on this thing. Use some sense and take it slow. Enjoy the ride.
 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2010, 09:22 PM   #54
Fishenough
Team Lurker

Oddometer: 125
Great tips.

Only ride when you at 100%, and if; your on medication for a head cold or such, emotional due to problems at work or home, or even just lacking on sleep and have had too many hours in the sun park the bike, itll still be there when your back to being yourself. Have heard great, and not so great, biking advice over the years but if youre not up to the ride dont. Have seen friends go down hard with only a bad hangover and late night as an excuse. My only street off was due too much Sudafed and delayed reactions resulting in a minor low side. The good stuff is these times are few and far between.

Didn't see this advice mentioned.
Fishenough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2010, 09:50 PM   #55
Mobius Trip
Skeptic

Oddometer: 12
First - keep asking questions, it shows a real desire to stay healthy!

Ride as though you are invisible

At night don't overdrive your headlights even if you know the road, especially in deer and moose country.

The paint used on streets is some kind o' slick when when it's raining and busy intersections are particularly greasy when wet.

When slabbin' on a multilane highway try to get into a clear zone with minimal vehicles anywhere around - once saw a highway worker lose his grip on a 30' section of drainage pipe and it started rolling across the highway as I changed lanes easily and rode by. In my mirrors I witnessed the absolute chaotic shitestorm in the group of vehicles that were a few seconds back as they tried to avoid it
Old 03-30-2010, 11:08 PM   #56
Aussijussi
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,066
Night riding, braking

I dont know how much riding you do at night, i mean outside the build up area,no street lighting, it's a different ball game again, most bikes headllight's are fairly poor to say the least, if you have to ride at night, slow down! With all this information, your head must be spinning by now! Somebody was talking about braking in one of the post's before, i'll mention it again, practice using the front brake again and again, untill it comes a second nature, dont worry so much about the back, folks have gotten hurt and killed as they stomped on the back brake only, this, throttle is you friend, is true, but so is the front brake!
Aussijussi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 01:06 AM   #57
MustTourEurope
Adventurer

Oddometer: 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by DevilNinjaDog

I guess he's referring that when you're braking your front without the back...obviously the rear tire will still be turning a bit stronger/faster than the front tire, thus, the skid. It usually happens when you're on a lean. Not much if you are riding VERY perpendicular to the road. Just look at the guys doing doughnuts with bikes. Hard front brake and a liitle lean...and it goes around

I use both brakes all the time regardless of speed. I may look like a twat(by braking both when slowing from 10kph to zero)to others...but it's the habit that counts.

MustTourEurope screwed with this post 03-31-2010 at 01:12 AM
MustTourEurope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 04:57 AM   #58
BluegrassPicker
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 431
Quote:
Originally Posted by jts5032
as a new rider...I'm going with 2 wheels, 0 beers.

doesn't rhyme as well, but I think the end result is better.
Drink today = done riding for the day.
BluegrassPicker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 07:04 AM   #59
StaticMotion
Adventurer

Oddometer: 82
Don't go sight seeing / get distracted on the bike. You might be missing that second you've just spent looking at something on the side of the road. DAMHIK.
Old 03-31-2010, 07:02 PM   #60
Toddwmac
ADV addict

Oddometer: 279
  1. Look where you want to go...not where where you want to avoid. This applies to just about everything in life but that is another thead
  2. If you can't see them, they can't see you....look at the mirror of those infront of you. Play the "I know where you are going to go before you do" game every time you tide with the cans.
  3. Learn to trust the counter intuitive....in bikes and in life. Just like you learn to lean down hill to better controll your skis, learn to trust your throttle and your rubber. Or in other words...when in doubt, gas it!
  4. The tire under your ass will save your ass
  5. You have $1.00 worth of attention (thanks Mr. Code I believe) Learn to spend it wisely
  6. If you road ride, get track time...regardless of your bike
  7. The limiting factor is between your ears
Toddwmac is offline   Reply With Quote