Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > The perfect line and other riding myths
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-30-2011, 03:53 PM   #691
ocived
ocived

Oddometer: 13
I would say riding dirt bikes helped me to learn how to control the bike in squiffy situations. Dirt bike classes are available. As far as street riding goes wear your gear, and assume the car and truck drivers don't see you. Watch for tire rotation at cross street stopped autos. Nothing beats a full face helmet. hope this helps.
Old 07-07-2011, 04:37 PM   #692
inthemountains
No Worries

Oddometer: 18
Turn off your blinker already...

If I had a nickel for every time I've seen it or done it, well, I'd have me a second bike.

Seriously, it's just asking for a cage to pull out of that McDonald's right in front of you.
Old 07-08-2011, 04:31 AM   #693
EastKY_DO
Doc

Oddometer: 78
Kudos!

After a long (25 year) hiatus from riding I felt almost like a noob when I got back in the saddle. I come here on most days and read much more than I post. After reading I try to remember and apply something that I read here that made sense. It has helped me in getting back in the groove with riding. It's amazing how good it feels, like being resurrected!

Thanks to all of you!
EastKY_DO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 09:46 AM   #694
DAKEZ
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 19,441
Quote:
Originally Posted by 60pan View Post
that poor sob had no chance from this camera angle....all the training, gear, etc wont protect you when its time....
the only thing I can really see or say is maybe the double yellow was his esacpe, but it looked like he never saw it coming & the truck was focused on avoiding the car..never saw the bike until the second before the collision
He should have seen it coming and escaped. Mirrors are there for more than lane changes.
Old 07-08-2011, 09:57 AM   #695
IheartmyNx
Ihave2draft

Oddometer: 3,791
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAKEZ View Post
He should have seen it coming and escaped. Mirrors are there for more than lane changes.

amazing how "doh de-doh, I'm cruising along at 45 and now have to make a quick-stop... And I don't care about what's behind me" has escaped the mental grasp of common sense in most ppl these days...

But alas. It's prolly just a product of our over litigious "I'll just get a lawyer and sue yer ass" mentality we all can be so thankful for today.

The 1st day I ever worked on a road my foremen only had to tell me once, never turn your back to traffic.

and that, IMO applies to both working it and using it for transpo.

Bottom, common sense, line... You can't sue shit if yer dead.

If it's one thing I do know, it's women and covert opps...
IheartmyNx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 09:06 PM   #696
DAKEZ
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 19,441
Quote:
Originally Posted by 60pan View Post
Maybe, at least he was walking away. If mirrors were a wearable part, I would have to replace mine allthe time, I use them like my life depends on it.
When I bought my DR650 I didn't even ride it before adding the extenders. The mirrors the way they come from the factory are useless. Fortunately there is a guy in Boise that understands this and put a set of extenders in the mail to me and said "just send me a check when you can"

I check my six often as I like to know what is going on back there... And any time I even roll off the throttle I flash my brake lights and move laterally to help those behind to wake up.

DAKEZ screwed with this post 07-26-2011 at 09:37 PM
DAKEZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 09:11 PM   #697
IheartmyNx
Ihave2draft

Hind sight's always 50/50...

Well, to me anyways.

X2 on the dot-dot-dot... dash-dash-dash... wake the f$%k up brake light blinks.

I even use the racers hold your hand up means caution thing, but I'm prolly the only one in eye shot that knows WTF that means.

Even had to do it in the middle of shifts... Glad I know how to do that (clutchless shifting. up and down). It comes in handy.

IheartmyNx screwed with this post 07-08-2011 at 09:16 PM
Old 07-26-2011, 07:10 PM   #698
Swissican
adapt and overcome

Oddometer: 84
I do apologize if this advice has already been posted by I don't want to read through 52 pages of posts because I know that I'll get sidetracked and, once I reach the end of the replies, forget what I was going to write in the first place

I've only been riding a bit more than four years but I've put a couple of miles on my bike (over 34k) so here it goes...When you're on the road and there is more than one car a head of you, don't focus on the car your behind. Focus on about the third car in front of you! At first it might seem a bit weird but once you get used to it it'll be second nature. Here's the reasoning behind it...

When you're on the road and you're only focusing on the car in front of you, you are trusting that the driver will be able to stop in time or that he/she won't swerve. If, for some reason, something just happened a head of you and all the drivers are slamming on their brakes, it's possible that the car in front of you won't stand on his brakes soon enough and rear-end the car a head of him...meaning that you have even less distance to come to a complete stop before hitting the car.

Or

If the you're focusing on the car in front of you and that car swerves in order to avoid hitting an obstacle in the road this might not leave you with enough time to either stop or swerve.

Soooo...if you focus your main attention on the third car a head of you, you'll know what's going on farther down the road, allowing you to start slowing down as soon as you see that third car's brake lights flash (at which point the car in front of you still has no clue).

Hope you were able to follow my logic. I'm really good at explaining things to people but if I have to write it down...yea...about that

Anywho...Ride On...

To Deadhorse on a VN900
Video of my bike

Swissican screwed with this post 07-26-2011 at 07:16 PM
Swissican is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 07:01 PM   #699
duck
Banned

Oddometer: 10,404
You should be looking at ALL of the cars in front of you. If somebody slams on their brakes 10 cars ahead of you on the freewaythen you've got a lot more time to be prepared for when the chain reaction gets to you.

This goes for driving a cage too and is hopefully still taught in driver's ed.
duck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 11:51 AM   #700
IheartmyNx
Ihave2draft

lets see.... My advise to a n00b...

Be paranoid.
Keep your eyes moving.
Practice panic stops. B/c you don't want to do like me trying to figure that out when a light changes fast.
If you're a city rider, I'd say forget the iPod and focus on riding. Spending about 50/50 front and rear sight-line and this means MIRRORS... And good ones... Bigger than a postage stamp too. Fawking ascetics are out the window as far as I'm concerned when it come to SURVIVAL! This just in, cagers love distractions.

Viability... IMO, get some as this, conrary to popular belief has TWO effects. One, you're new and need to give a driver all the decision time you can get when you pull out in front of them and shift into the wrong gear...

And two, IF you get involved in a collision, the officer will be asking the cager how did you hit a guy wearing a neon jacket or onezee?

Parking lots or school parking lots... Find one and spend all day practicing. You need to know and master your transitions BEFORE you're doing it competing with 4,000lbs of rolling steel and glass.

Riding a bike for the 1st time is a HARD task... You've got 5 limbs controlling 4 vital tasks to keeping the thing even upright.

Ride faster. IMO, get away from cars and trucks that can side swipe you as you're the last thing in their feeble little minds. Drivers here don't even use a signal so using a mirror isnt that hard to assume isnt the only thing they don't know how to work.

The less time you spend in the area or blindspot, the better off you'll be as an old saying is, Two solids can NOT occupy the same space.

The reason why I feel a motorcycle should LEGALLY be able to "speed".

DO NOT pass on the right. In Merica we drive on the left side leaving a large blindspot on the right hand side beside a B pillar... Just don't go there and by odds you won't be a small object in a small blindspot.

The reason I feel passing on the RIGHT should be ILLEGAL! And keep right or GTFOOTW should be a damn law!

ADD break

IheartmyNx screwed with this post 08-01-2011 at 12:00 PM
Old 08-06-2011, 08:55 AM   #701
shelion
Goddess of Fire

Oddometer: 345
Quote:
Originally Posted by IheartmyNx View Post

Be paranoid.

Viability... IMO, get some as this, conrary to popular belief has TWO effects. One, you're new and need to give a driver all the decision time you can get when you pull out in front of them and shift into the wrong gear...
If they're truly paranoid, they wouldn't be riding at all.

How about: Ride as if all cars don't see you. That's what I do and I'm rarely surprised. I always assume that people waiting to turn don't see me, people merging don't see me, etc.

I presume you meant visibility. I'm a big believer in that as well but I don't think a solid color neon works as well as something with contrasting stripes. Doesn't really matter what the colors are, as long as it's a stark contrast.

And you shouldn't be pulling out in front of anyone in a manner that causes them to immediately react. If the driver behind you has to adjust because you've pulled out in front of them, then you just pulled a jerk move and didn't leave yourself enough space.
Old 08-06-2011, 02:17 PM   #702
opaque_machete
girls wanna have fun

Oddometer: 630
Quote:

The reason I feel passing on the RIGHT should be ILLEGAL! And keep right or GTFOOTW should be a damn law!

Another reason to be respectful on the road. Your disrespectful attitude affects cagers' reactions to ALL motorcyclists. Get over yourself. The roads belong to all drivers, not just you.
May the forces of evil become confused on the way to your house. -George Carlin
Two Wheel Females.com
opaque_machete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2011, 06:45 PM   #703
enigmatic_redhabu
I really wanna be....

Oddometer: 2,789
Practices, practices, practices...a lot of practices, braking, shifting, controlling the throttle, and leaning, etc, some places road less travel. Get comfortable with your bike. Get familiar with your bike much as you can.
Jinny
enigmatic_redhabu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 07:52 AM   #704
IheartmyNx
Ihave2draft

Quote:
Originally Posted by shelion View Post
If they're truly paranoid, they wouldn't be riding at all.

How about: Ride as if all cars don't see you. That's what I do and I'm rarely surprised. I always assume that people waiting to turn don't see me, people merging don't see me, etc.

I presume you meant visibility. I'm a big believer in that as well but I don't think a solid color neon works as well as something with contrasting stripes. Doesn't really matter what the colors are, as long as it's a stark contrast.

And you shouldn't be pulling out in front of anyone in a manner that causes them to immediately react. If the driver behind you has to adjust because you've pulled out in front of them, then you just pulled a jerk move and didn't leave yourself enough space.

"Being paranoid" works for me. It keeps my head on a swivel, never becoming complacent b/c I tell myself every car I see can and will pull out in front of me, given the chance...

I just choose to use a different verbiage to keep me more at attention so I'll never become complacent.

Quote:
Originally Posted by opaque_machete View Post
Another reason to be respectful on the road. Your disrespectful attitude affects cagers' reactions to ALL motorcyclists. Get over yourself. The roads belong to all drivers, not just you.

Wow Dr. Phil... You read all that in my post? How bout you come to Nashville, then you'll see that 4wheelers do NOT know or even care what you're thinking under your helmet, and just how much time you spend in blind spots or B-pillars b/c of ppl running at or below the speed limit b/c the left lane is theirs, by god...

I've switched to all C-road, single lane roads taking the GF to work b/c ALL the dual lanes will be blocked by some self-imposed safety monitor asshat.

Saves more time, ZERO traffic, and shit-ton or right on reds too I don't see the point in more lanes just so ppl can do the same speeds in them.

IheartmyNx screwed with this post 08-08-2011 at 08:03 AM
Old 08-08-2011, 07:56 PM   #705
opaque_machete
girls wanna have fun

Oddometer: 630
Quote:
Wow Dr. Phil... You read all that in my post? How bout you come to Nashville, then you'll see that 4wheelers do NOT know or even care what you're thinking under your helmet, and just how much time you spend in blind spots or B-pillars b/c of ppl running at or below the speed limit b/c the left lane is theirs, by god...
Feel better?
May the forces of evil become confused on the way to your house. -George Carlin
Two Wheel Females.com
opaque_machete is offline   Reply With Quote