Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > The perfect line and other riding myths
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-09-2011, 04:58 PM   #706
DirtyOlLady
Adventurer

Oddometer: 21
The best thing I did as a nOOB was take a beginner riders course. My class is sponsored by SIU Carbondale. After passing the class I was able to get IL DL. There are adv. and exp. classes if you have a licence.
DirtyOlLady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 06:27 AM   #707
IheartmyNx
Ihave2draft

Oddometer: 3,819
Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyOlLady View Post
The best thing I did as a nOOB was take a beginner riders course. My class is sponsored by SIU Carbondale. After passing the class I was able to get IL DL. There are adv. and exp. classes if you have a licence.

Here they give you a better insurance quote after you complete a course...

But $200 for the course goes a long way with me and I didnt have the money so... I just learned old school. I found a parking lot and spent a few days getting used to it.
Old 08-10-2011, 07:08 AM   #708
DAKEZ
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 19,485
Take the class... And then take another and another.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IheartmyNx View Post
Here they give you a better insurance quote after you complete a course...

But $200 for the course goes a long way with me and I didnt have the money so... I just learned old school. I found a parking lot and spent a few days getting used to it.
Can one successfully learn to safely ride without one? Of course you can.

But THIS thread is for the purpose of giving n00bs sage advice. The MSF, Team Oregon and the plethora of other classes scattered across the US (and the World) do a very good job of instructing new and returning riders good habits to help them start off with a good foundation in riding a motorcycle.

If you can't afford the class you likely can't afford to ride. "TAKE THE CLASS" is good advice.
Old 08-10-2011, 10:43 AM   #709
opaque_machete
girls wanna have fun

Oddometer: 630
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAKEZ View Post
If you can't afford the class you likely can't afford to ride. "TAKE THE CLASS" is good advice.
+100 The course is an excellent way to learn the basics and learn them the correct way. "Old School" may not always teach you what you need to know.
May the forces of evil become confused on the way to your house. -George Carlin
Two Wheel Females.com
opaque_machete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2011, 10:01 AM   #710
advsheila
Banned

Oddometer: 82
Talking born again....

I am a NooB with rather unique experience. Actually I am a born again.... I rode a sportster back in the late eighties in NH. Then became a passenger for over 20 years. Now I am back riding. Took the classes....have a ducati monster courtesy of my boyfriend. We unfortunately live in Fort Lauderdale. The classes were an invaluable asset. Also, I am learning to ride offroad at the same time on a yamaha 250. Florida sugar sand...........Aaaargh. Riding in the dirt makes me a better street rider. I also have a 650 GS... for long trips. My boyfriend is a KTM guy....experienced rider extrordinaire (dirtduc).
I took some off road classes by Rawhide adventures. My little yamaha and a convoy of big GS's onto the rocky trails in Arizona. I had a blast. and STANDING on the pegs while in dirt makes all the difference in the world. I learned to power thru the sloppy stuff - set my sights way out in front and I let the bike dance all around underneath me....starting on a small bike made the transition to the big bike easier. I have learned that certain bikes, fully loaded ride better seated.(KTM) while the big GS loves to be stood upon. Shayne says bike are like women....some of them just respond better when stood upon. Me? I prefer to on top!
You cant take too many professional classes or go on too many group rides when learning.
Never pass a gas station
and you cant wear too much protective gear.
I have dumped my bike on the road ( forgot how good the brakes were on the ducati after riding the BMW offroad)
and I have mis judged my speed on a few curves in the dirt. I have poor instincts when it comes to making quick corrections..... gotta learn from experience. Every chance I get I will continue to take lessons and to challenge myself.
I recommend rawhide adventures classes to everyone...experienced or NooB.
Next for us is Moab....I cant wait. then a long ride up the PCH and up to Washington to do the newly mapped offroad ride thru the state.
Dont be afraid to start out on a bike that is undersized for you....confidence builder and a ton of fun.
And hey...if your lady likes it standing up....more power to ya!
advsheila is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2011, 12:07 AM   #711
IheartmyNx
Ihave2draft

Quote:
Can one successfully learn to safely ride without one? Of course you can.

But THIS thread is for the purpose of giving n00bs sage advice. The MSF, Team Oregon and the plethora of other classes scattered across the US (and the World) do a very good job of instructing new and returning riders good habits to help them start off with a good foundation in riding a motorcycle.

Sure... It's the same exact mentality as all those "take it to the track" posts in a thread that shows fast riders on a public road...

Well... Some of us can't afford a track day, or even live close to a track to start with....

It'd be nice if every post we made would be PC and make sense from the person you replied to's, post, but here in the real world it don't work like that...

We all have to accept what is-is, at some point...

For example, some of us don't live near a track. I know I'm NOT gonna drive to Georgia or Virginia. And some of us might not even live remotely close to a place that offers a MSF class...

I bought my $1,300 bike with student loan money... $200 for a day course was out of the question...Excuse me for not being PC.

http://nashville.craigslist.org/mcy/2465150950.html

IheartmyNx screwed with this post 08-14-2011 at 12:13 AM
IheartmyNx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2011, 12:32 AM   #712
xymotic
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,364
When I was trying to get my License in Los Angeles, the MSF only had weekend classes and I had to work. Weekday classes were like once a month and if I remember right like 70 miles away from me. So yeah, it's not always possible to take the class.

But I wish I could have, and it's certainly good advice to learn about something before doing it
"Anyone who doesn't take truth seriously in small matters cannot be trusted in large ones either."
Albert Einstein

Baja trip to the tip
6:10 to Yuma
trials and tribulations in the Mojave
Baja Blitz Yard sale
View Current Location via Spot Tracker
xymotic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2011, 08:29 AM   #713
advsheila
Banned

I bought my $1,300 bike with student loan money... $200 for a day course was out of the question...Excuse me for not being PC.

What did the Government do with it's profits in all those fat years?

Surely you see the irony in using student loan money to buy a bike.....and not taking a class?????

Most of the riders in my moto safety class here in Greater Miami were unlicensed....paid over $5000 a piece in fines and to get their street bikes back. They also were all shocked at what they learned ...taking the course was mandatory for these guys so they could get the bikes out of impound. None of them came to class open minded...it was a joke to them .They Knew it all. They left better riders...most even learned that bikes actually have a rear brake!!!

along the NooB thread lines.....ride as often as you can with experienced friends. Get as much time under your belt as you can....even if the ride doesnt interest you. I ride once a week in Lauderdale on the streets to go out to eat. Stop and go traffic hot and sticky. Not my thing. But I go and I learn and I get more natural instincts every time....

and if Advrider ever gets PC......I'm out!
Old 08-14-2011, 11:05 AM   #714
opaque_machete
girls wanna have fun

If you cannot afford to take the class, the very least that can be done is to get your hands on a copy of the manual they use in the class. It is chocked full of information on operating your bike. I kept mine just to look back at from time to time. It's a handy thing to have around.
Two Wheel Females.com
Old 08-14-2011, 11:09 AM   #715
opaque_machete
girls wanna have fun

Quote:
And there are videos of ALL the rider exercises posted up on youtube.

Yeah, forgot about those. I watched the Captain Crash videos, which helped me before the class to understand what we were doing. Very informational.
Two Wheel Females.com
Old 08-14-2011, 04:53 PM   #716
advsheila
Banned

the dirt courses I took were part of other rallys.....didnt have to pay for them, they were teasers hoping to get you to pay for the real thing....three day long seminars. You dont have to have money to get lessons. Find a mentor. I ride with a few locals who are more than willing to teach. But do it legally. at least get the license if your on the street.

As a born again nOOb....I gotta say getting the right helmet has been a tedious task. But when you do ....wow what a difference. Boots were second in line for making a difference...Not much gear to choose from for the ladies down here in flatistan. trial and error shopping. I suppose that is why there is so much barely used great stuff for sale on here...we have a closet full of...."not quite" helmets, jackets boots etc.
Old 08-16-2011, 04:32 PM   #717
SnappNBrrap
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 167
^^^ agreed on the right helmet thing. street noob here (been riding off-road for years) three things i got:

1.) buy the BEST helmet you can afford! $800 is cheaper than a big hospital bill

2.) WEAR THE DAMN HELMET (and maybe a tough jacket too)

3.) get some cheap *orange* cones (you can get some at a sporting store *color needs to be visible*) and a friend, go to a parking lot (empty or close to it), set up an obstacle course and have your friend throw in some unexpected situations like kicking cones in front of you etc. my dad did this with me before i got my license and i also got some gravel training in too.
its cheaper than a training course and you can do it anywhere and often as you like.

09 Yamaha FZ6 in Faster Blue
SnappNBrrap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 06:07 PM   #718
LittleRedToyota
Yinzer

Oddometer: 2,148
just be aware that the price of a helmet and how well it protects your head have nothing to do with each other.

a $100 DOT helmet will offer the same protection as a $500 DOT helmet. a $100 snell helmet will offer the same protection as a $500 snell helmet. (and snell rated helmets do not necessarily offer better protection than a DOT only rated helmet...some argue they offer less protection because they are too hard and transmit too much force to your head instead of absorbing it by crumpling in non-race speed crashes).

more expensive helmets are often ligther, flow air better, have removeable liners for cleaning, are more comfortable, etc., but they do not protect any better. if you are on a tight budget, you can buy a cheap helmet (as long as it meets whatever safety certification you believe in) and feel confident your head is protected.
LittleRedToyota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 07:46 PM   #719
IheartmyNx
Ihave2draft

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnappNBrrap View Post

3.) get some cheap *orange* cones (you can get some at a sporting store *color needs to be visible*) and a friend, go to a parking lot (empty or close to it), set up an obstacle course and have your friend throw in some unexpected situations like kicking cones in front of you etc. my dad did this with me before i got my license and i also got some gravel training in too.
its cheaper than a training course and you can do it anywhere and often as you like.

I tried that at the Bellevue Mall (for those that don't know, just about THE WHOLE mall is CLOSED!) and got run off. The, I guess caretaker, who's watched me before said "if you get hurt, it's our fault". He was nice, and I thought about going back and talking to him about it.

Then I rode by about 2 hours later to find about 20 bicycles riding in a team, or class, or some chit... I wonder if he knows they can get hurt riding their bikes around the parking lot?

I also wonder if he knows TN requires me to have Auto and Life insurance, and that I'm not some snot nosed skateboarder kid with liability lawyers for parents?

Damned if you do, damned if ya don't.. Try to keep shit off the road, and "in a safe environment" and b/c of frivolous liability lawsuits you get run off...

I wonder if I could sue if I get into an accident b/c I was forced onto city streets... Seems the state would condone wanting to get riders/stunters/etc off the streets...

Bah!

IheartmyNx screwed with this post 08-16-2011 at 09:49 PM
IheartmyNx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 09:09 PM   #720
Toscana1
Younger by the ride.

Oddometer: 30
I teach my wife and daughters what I learned the hard way; Ride like your invisible but everyone's still out to get you.
"Never be afraid to try something new. Remember it was a lone amateur that built the Ark and a large team of professionals that built the Titanic." Dave Barry. '98 DR650SE, '71 Vespa 150 Sprint, '00 TTR225, '05 CRF250X
Toscana1 is offline   Reply With Quote