Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-18-2011, 12:04 AM   #721
opaque_machete
girls wanna have fun

Oddometer: 630
Quote:
Originally Posted by SnappNBrrap View Post
^^^ agreed on the right helmet thing. street noob here (been riding off-road for years) three things i got:

1.) buy the BEST helmet you can afford! $800 is cheaper than a big hospital bill

2.) WEAR THE DAMN HELMET (and maybe a tough jacket too)

3.) get some cheap *orange* cones (you can get some at a sporting store *color needs to be visible*) and a friend, go to a parking lot (empty or close to it), set up an obstacle course and have your friend throw in some unexpected situations like kicking cones in front of you etc. my dad did this with me before i got my license and i also got some gravel training in too.
its cheaper than a training course and you can do it anywhere and often as you like.

An absolute must for a helmet is fit. My hubby's bike slid out from under him at low speed in the mud and was knocked out because his helmet was fitted incorrectly. Be sure that the helmet fits side to side and front to back as well as somewhat squeezing the cheeks. When you move it, it should move your skin with it. If it does not fit, don't buy it. I have to buy Vega's because of the shape of my head. My hubby needs AFX or Icon. MAKE SURE YOUR HELMET FITS YOUR HEAD!!!

Oh, and by the way...I paid a whopping $19 for my helmet on Ebay, because I know what fits. Can't beat that for bargain!
May the forces of evil become confused on the way to your house. -George Carlin
Two Wheel Females.com

opaque_machete screwed with this post 08-18-2011 at 12:15 AM
opaque_machete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 12:14 AM   #722
tokyoklahoma
75%has been25%wanabe

Oddometer: 1,486
Wink I call BS

Quote:
Originally Posted by IheartmyNx View Post
Sure... It's the same exact mentality as all those "take it to the track" posts in a thread that shows fast riders on a public road...

Well... Some of us can't afford a track day, or even live close to a track to start with....

It'd be nice if every post we made would be PC and make sense from the person you replied to's, post, but here in the real world it don't work like that...

We all have to accept what is-is, at some point...

For example, some of us don't live near a track. I know I'm NOT gonna drive to Georgia or Virginia. And some of us might not even live remotely close to a place that offers a MSF class...

I bought my $1,300 bike with student loan money... $200 for a day course was out of the question...Excuse me for not being PC.

http://nashville.craigslist.org/mcy/2465150950.html
http://nm.msf-usa.org/msf/ridercourses.aspx?state=TN
tokyoklahoma is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 02:24 PM   #723
orangebear
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,210
plus 1 on the helmet all way were one as it will save your life.

you should never were the old pudding boll tipe helmets that are the half helmets you see as they were band in the uk in the 1980 for being crap if you ever crashed and are not legal on the road.
Klr650c the 1 I should not of wasted my money on
Honda xl125rc powered by a cg125 block fun wee bike
orangebear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 07:56 PM   #724
MurphCO
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 375
People aren't going to like this, but I have said it to every newer rider I have ridden with.....

After you take the MSF course and after a few miles under your belt getting your bearings, I highly suggest you find a nice piece of straight full sightline road and go REAL FAST a few times.

My logic, after you have gone fast like that, 45mph doesn't seem so fast and you are more relaxed at normal street and city speeds. You realize how much time you have to react is VASTLY different between 45 and 100, and you are a better rider for it.

If you crash from doing this, meh you probably weren't meant to be riding anyway....
Old 09-06-2011, 01:28 PM   #725
opaque_machete
girls wanna have fun

Oddometer: 630
Let the flames begin.

I do tend to disagree, however. Speed is something you begin to work up to after you have the muscle memory. It's not that difficult once you realize the bike isn't gonna start bucking you off because you gave it plenty of reign.
May the forces of evil become confused on the way to your house. -George Carlin
Two Wheel Females.com
opaque_machete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 01:37 PM   #726
AdrenalinJunkie
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 115
Reading the two posts above this reminds me of the differences between a optimist, pessimist, and a realist. The realist thinks somebody used a glass twice as big as they needed. The realist in me thinks that MOST (not all) that learn how to ride are gonna twist that wrist, even without someone telling them they needed to. I definitely vote for a controlled environment, which can be hard to find on the road.
'08 CRF 230 sold '06 GSX-R 600 regretfully sold:(
Because anything worth doing is worth overdoing
AdrenalinJunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 09:16 AM   #727
leejosepho
Sure, I can do that!

Oddometer: 478
Quote:
Originally Posted by MurphCO View Post
People aren't going to like this, but I have said it to every newer rider I have ridden with.....

After you take the MSF course and after a few miles under your belt getting your bearings, I highly suggest you find a nice piece of straight full sightline road and go REAL FAST a few times.

My logic, after you have gone fast like that, 45mph doesn't seem so fast and you are more relaxed at normal street and city speeds. You realize how much time you have to react is VASTLY different between 45 and 100, and you are a better rider for it ...
... or at least a more-confident one, and that is what I have done (up to about 70 mph so far) in order to refresh my own confidence a bit after not riding at all over the past 15 years.
Old 09-14-2011, 06:48 PM   #728
Rasputin
n00b

Oddometer: 3
Thumb Great thread

I started riding at age 51. A few things that have been helpful over the last 3 years:

The MSF BRC was essential.
Hough's Proficient Motorcycling.
Videos on YouTube of how to make slow speed figure 8's, etc.
I bought gear first, then bike. With the exception of jeans instead of my riding pants, ATGATT.
Parking lot practice.
Keeping safety in mind by reading on the internet (I read this whole 54 pages).

Probably my biggest danger is a mental brownout. The close calls I've had have been when I was not fully concentrating, or properly reacting to potential danger. I must keep alert and apply what I've learned.
Rasputin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011, 07:31 AM   #729
BahakMoto
n00b

Oddometer: 8
Be well seated on the Bike, tips of foot and two fingers on Brake and Clutch. Keep your eyes on the Horizon, not in the road that is passing below you. Ride with no fear, but nether without respect. Use a Helmet that its value represent the value that you have for your brain.
BahakMoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011, 07:42 AM   #730
DAKEZ
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 19,690
Quote:
Originally Posted by BahakMoto View Post
Use a Helmet that its value represent the value that you have for your brain.
Not sure what is meant by this. (the helmet thread is down the hall on the left)

Buy a helmet that fits and that you can afford and WEAR IT!!!

Personally I would NEVER buy a used one.

They are one time use... Meaning that once it has hit the ground with any force (even dropped) it should have the straps cut off of it an retired.

Can a dropped helmet still be good? Yes of course it can... But I wouldn't bet my life on it.
Old 09-16-2011, 08:50 AM   #731
DAKEZ
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 19,690
Don't be this guy. Learn from his humble admission.

Old 09-16-2011, 10:48 AM   #732
ParrotheadJeff

Oddometer: n/a
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAKEZ View Post
Don't be this guy. Learn from his humble admission.

The farthest I've moved my bike under its own power was from a gas pump to a parking space at a gas station in Prescott, AZ. I'd seen this video before and it's part of the reason I don't do what he did. Thanks for posting it for everyone
Old 09-28-2011, 03:24 PM   #733
DirtReeper
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 508
My dad had some really good advice.

#1) its easier to teach someone to ride in dirt than it is on pavement, therefore its easier to learn on dirt than pavement.
#2) ATGATT!
#3) open that Mikuni up in the sand it will stand you back up.
#4) ride in Your comfort zone. keeping up with me will come later
#5) watch for rocks
#6) stay back from semis unless you are about to pass them.
#7) your mom rides slow........shell catch up lets go :P
#8) watch out for the idiots in cars they dont see you
#9) just cause you got a nice new HiViz armoured jacket for your Bday doesnt mean the stupid cagers will see you.

guess I had a pretty good teacher.
Thanks Dad
oh and one more:
when you think you know it all about riding, you DON'T. you will NEVER know it all.

DirtReeper screwed with this post 09-28-2011 at 03:31 PM Reason: forgot one
DirtReeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 11:34 AM   #734
IheartmyNx
Ihave2draft

Oddometer: 3,841
Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtReeper View Post
My dad had some really good advice.
#6) stay back from semis unless you are about to pass them.

Stay back for wind blast... But when you do pass, speeding ticket be damned! Go T.F on and don't piss around.

The slower you are, the longer it takes to overtake it. And it's not like you could use that as a defense in court, and a ticket's a hell of a lot better than being a stain on the highway.
Old 09-30-2011, 11:28 PM   #735
TigerLilly
Rat Catcher

Oddometer: 1,272
If you want to ride fast, go do a track day. A controlled, known, environment is great for honing your skills. On the street, give yourself a big safety margin. I see guys in my riding group that ride way beyond their skill level all the time. At least two of them have had very serious crashes in the past two years. Stupid shit like not having the skill set to adjust their lines in a corner when a car was a bit over the center line. Better yet, sign up for one of the better riding schools. I have taken a bunch of them and the skills I learned there have saved my life over and over and over again.

RR Big Bend NP - DEC 2010
RR TL Goes North: Canada June 2011
TigerLilly is offline   Reply With Quote