User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-19-2011, 10:26 AM   #751
Hookapelli
Adventure-Junkie

Oddometer: 2,270
Wink Do you 'Feel It'?

If you're not feeling your head is in the game for a ride... don't ride. All it takes is one moment of not paying attention and you're out.

Take breaks on long trips- just because you can go 450+ miles on a tank doesn't mean you should.

Practice, practice, practice.... always.

Don't speed and get caught. If you get caught- joke with the cop about it... it seems to have worked for me a number of times.

Only buy the accessories you need- people with a bunch of useless junk on their bike is just more room for distraction and problems.

Check you tires... and then check your tires... and before you roll out, check your tires. (and don't buy cheap tires- do your homework).

Wear gloves, they will hit the road first. Wear a helmet (that covers your face), that's what will hit the ground a split second after your hands.

Get to know how your bike 'feels'... she'll let you know if something is wrong.

HAVE FUN!!!! (That's what it's all about).
Hookapelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 08:17 AM   #752
ShardPhoenix
Наглый ублюдок

Oddometer: 800
Quote:
If you're not feeling your head is in the game for a ride... don't ride. All it takes is one moment of not paying attention and you're out.
Yep. That's me today.

Crappy nights sleep, and although part of me thinks I'd be just fine to ride.. I'm opting to take the cage instead. It's one of those days where I'd prefer to not leave the house at all, but alas I must.
Old 10-20-2011, 12:26 PM   #753
asphaltmueller
nomad acc. § 2(3)AVV

Oddometer: 1,006
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAKEZ View Post
Just know that it is a good way to end up with broken ribs in the event of a get-off.
Or at least a nice concussion of the ribs;

coming to that :

don't ride a bike with a non-working rear brake on serious gravel (or do it real slow)

and some of the less expensive pants (at least around here) have knee protectors, but only empty protector pockets at the hips. Fill tose up ASAP if it's the case with yours.
Lowsided on the deep gravel at about 15 mls only, but that hip hurt three weeks
asphaltmueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 12:35 PM   #754
IheartmyNx
Ihave2draft

Oddometer: 3,841
Quote:
Just know that it is a good way to end up with broken ribs in the event of a get-off.
Damn DAKEZ, wtf phone do you ride with? In my variable broken ribs are better than a broken phone... Your ribs can't call for help if you're trapped or IMMOBILE under your bike.

Ok, sorry... I'm a street rider... Sorry for the confusion.

STREET RIDERS: Ride with your hopefully slim design phone, on the INSIDE of your hopefully PADDED and zipped up motorcycle riding jacket.

There, hope that nails ALL the variables.

IheartmyNx screwed with this post 10-20-2011 at 12:50 PM
IheartmyNx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 12:47 PM   #755
DAKEZ
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 19,603
Quote:
Originally Posted by IheartmyNx View Post
Damn DAKEZ, wtf phone do you ride with?

I didn't say that I personally subscribe to it but I know several riders that will NEVER ride with anything like a phone or camera in their pockets (not even an Iphone) due to rib injuries they have sustained during a get-off.

Me? I carry both a phone (like the one pictured above) and a Canon A590 point and shoot camera in my jacket pockets. (knock on wood)
Old 10-22-2011, 11:46 AM   #756
Animo
Beastly n00b

Oddometer: 4,879

That would friggin hurt!

Yucatan | Chiapas | Belize 1 | Belize 2 | QRoo | Guanajuato
Animo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 01:28 PM   #757
dwoodward
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,017
[QUOTE=IheartmyNx;17118512STREET RIDERS: Ride with your hopefully slim design phone, on the INSIDE of your hopefully PADDED and zipped up motorcycle riding jacket.

There, hope that nails ALL the variables.[/QUOTE]
Nope.

Only land on soft surfaces with the phone parallel to the surface, so you don't break the phone, too.

OK, now you're good.

USUALLY, nothing in any pockets except maybe a credit card and spare ear plugs.
dwoodward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 07:01 AM   #758
IheartmyNx
Ihave2draft

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwoodward View Post
Nope.

Only land on soft surfaces with the phone parallel to the surface, so you don't break the phone, too.
Well... That was the "inside" of the, "padded" variable. If it's behind the "pad" or other course outer-material, then therefore one can include the possibility of an off-parallel offy.

And in a "trapped under your bike" (at the bottom of a ravine) scenario, it would meet the safety criteria of being both safely secured, and within reach for an easy call for help.

And not only that, but the dispersal of pressure depending on the size of the object (phone) which one can divide the size of the alternate impact projectile, say in this instance a 7/8ths diameter motorcycle handlebar, multiplied my pie (3.14) then divided my the surface area of the alternate impact receiver (the phone) to calculate the decreased surface tension area of the otherwise direct impact.

P = F/A

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwoodward View Post
OK, now you're good.

USUALLY, nothing in any pockets except maybe a credit card and spare ear plugs.
Yes. Earplugs, spare change usually quarters for emergency gas, and a tire pressure gauge.

IheartmyNx screwed with this post 10-28-2011 at 07:17 AM
IheartmyNx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 03:26 PM   #759
high dangler
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 535
my best advise is stay away from group rides for a few years.
To easy to get in over your head trying to impress.
Us males have this testoserone thing working against us.
Personally i know of way to many new riders crashing while trying to "keep up" Some of these newb were crippled for life Dont get suckered in.!

Also do a track day. Its very easy to do nowdays. There is so much to be learned there .
I think I learned more there in one day than 30 years on the street . You and your bike will do some things you didnt think possible.
high dangler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 03:33 PM   #760
DAKEZ
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 19,603
Quote:
Originally Posted by high dangler View Post
my best advice is stay away from group rides period!!
too easy to get in over your head trying to impress.
Us males have this testoserone thing working against us.
Personally i know of way too many new riders crashing while trying to "keep up" some of these newb were crippled for life dont get suckered in.!

Also do a track day. Its very easy to do nowdays. There is so much to be learned there .
I think i learned more there in one day than 30 years on the street . You and your bike will do some things you didnt think possible.
edited for safety.

DAKEZ screwed with this post 11-01-2011 at 10:49 AM
DAKEZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 09:54 AM   #761
hrolf
neophyte

Oddometer: 238
Quote:
advice
Old 11-03-2011, 06:53 PM   #762
IheartmyNx
Ihave2draft

Quote:
I had two things, but rightnow can only remember one...

The other one... I think...

Old Phones: Old phones, ones that aren't even in-service and even able to make calls, will make a 911 call.

So if you're traveling, or exploring, camping, whatever, it might be a wise move to pack away and take that old phone along with you.
Old 11-03-2011, 08:28 PM   #763
planemanx15
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,009
Quote:
The other one... I think...

Old Phones: Old phones, ones that aren't even in-service and even able to make calls, will make a 911 call.

So if you're traveling, or exploring, camping, whatever, it might be a wise move to pack away and take that old phone along with you.
Just remember to keep it charged
planemanx15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 07:26 AM   #764
Atomic Wrangler
n00b

Oddometer: 9
Helmets

I'm a uh... not quite to noob status yet even. Motorcycling hopeful perhaps?

I've learned from experience that figuring out your head shape and making sure the helmet you get is properly fitted is something most new riders don't ever imagine. Round, medium oval, long oval, etc... I've been having more trouble finding a proper fitting helmet for my head shape than anything else.

Having lurked here on ADV for... 4 years I've decided ATGATT, get a bike you can get as much of both feet down as possible as a first bike, and if it looks sketchy, it is sketchy.

In terms of displacement, I've been constantly told to stay small, stay small, and stay small. I sat on a 450 (BMW G450X) and could get the balls of both my feet down but was really nervous about dropping the bike just standing there. A 650 (BMW G650GS) however, I could flat foot, and not moving that gave me a lot more confidence to not drop the bike.

As a rock climber, I'll give my two cents that’s applicable to any activity: more confidence than competence is a dangerous combination. Most rock climbing accidents happen when the climber has more confidence that competence, and I can only imagine that riding is the same way.
Atomic Wrangler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2011, 12:03 AM   #765
asphaltmueller
nomad acc. § 2(3)AVV

Oddometer: 1,006
good post, and on the headshape :

I went to a big store and tried all the helmets out long time; found two of the bigger firms do fit my head. If you live far away from one, that is of course a problem.
Maybe try your friends helmets; but try to try; buying a helmet just on the net without trying has a high likelihood of ending in failure
asphaltmueller is offline   Reply With Quote