Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-23-2012, 04:13 PM   #856
JAZ by the Bay
Bus driver

Oddometer: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rottweiler View Post
Stay in the moment, here and now. Don't let your mind wander.

Focus on riding. Don't think about anything else.
This. Like all crashes, my recent state highway get-off was caused by many factors. But just being fully there mentally probably could have saved my R80.

Also, headphones aren't for everyone. Just because all your buddies listen to music, doesn't mean you need to. As much as I love music, it interferes with my focus.
JAZ by the Bay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 02:24 AM   #857
mike_sweden
Offroad addicted

Oddometer: 2
Watch out for cars..

Just assume people in cars are stupid..and be prepared everytime you come up to a crossing even if you have right of way. Some people will even look in your direction, and STILL drive out right on front of you.. probably because they have filtered out motorcycles in their brains when driving around on their sunday tour..and don't se you even if they are looking right at you
mike_sweden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 05:00 PM   #858
jondirt
City rider

Oddometer: 37
Add up the risks...

My only big get-off was (a) close to home, (b) when it had just started raining, (c) after I'd been riding for six months and was feeling cocky, (d) after I hadn't ridden for a week, (e) going over 30, (f) early in the morning, (g) on a cold bike and road, (h) as I was driving between two metal rails embedded in the road, (i) looking down at a rail and thinking "Hmm, better avoid that". Of course, I steered towards the rail and got a really close look at it.

Afterwards, I remembered someone telling me what Jaz mentioned: most accidents are the result of a combination of factors. So now, as I ride, I try to keep mentally adding up the risks. If my checklist gets to more than one or two long, I assume things are about to get hairy, and I pay extra attention to my riding.

Doing the TAT last year, I was going into a corner and did my quick mental checklist: (a) poor road surface (dirt), (b) Using traction for braking, (c) Using traction for cornering, (d) Low visibility. I didn't get any further. I shifted my weight to the pegs, relaxed my arms, just as I saw a horse and rider... and another. And a third. A posse of pack ponies! I had no choice but to come to a complete halt. On a corner. Going over 30 in dirt. Breaking hard. I skidded. But I stayed on the bike. Riding is never safe. And I'm still a noob. But I'm convinced that developing my little risk checklist saved me on that occasion.

Of course, none of that helped while I was hopping logs in the forest three weeks back. Landed on my *other* shoulder and got another really close inspection of the ground. Note to self: add to risk list (a) approaching a log with moss on the top, (b) not at right angles to log.

jondirt screwed with this post 10-25-2012 at 06:19 AM
jondirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 03:33 PM   #859
dwoodward
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,892
As always, I urge you to simplify rules.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike_sweden View Post
Just assume people in cars are stupid..
There. Simplified, and still works.
dwoodward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 09:32 AM   #860
miguelitro
tierra de boobies

Oddometer: 796
There will be no warning of terrain or condition changes.
As a long time off road racer I have been to plenty of per race meetings and explained course markers to plenty of beginners. Three arrows means slow down for something big but markers get knocked down, not everything is marked and the course changes constantly.
Mike
I'd rather be riding a 200 in Ecuador than any dream bike here.
miguelitro is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 10:54 PM   #861
duck
Banned

Oddometer: 10,404
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwoodward View Post
As always, I urge you to simplify rules.
There. Simplified, and still works.
Agreed, the assumption that only cars don't see you is naive. I've seen (and almost been hit by) a few stupid riders as well.

The same stupid people who drive cars are also allowed to ride motorcycles.
duck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 05:46 AM   #862
LuciferMutt
Rides slow bike slow

Oddometer: 10,946
Quote:
Originally Posted by duck View Post

The same stupid people who drive cars are also allowed to ride motorcycles.

And ride bicycles and drive semis and ride skateboards and rollerblades and scooters and delivery trucks and tractors and ATVs and even city lawnmowers....

Badasses might screw with another badass. Nobody screws with a nut job. -- Plaka
LuciferMutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 06:39 PM   #863
tokyoklahoma
75%has been25%wanabe

Oddometer: 1,412
Eek text and walk

The morons texting and walking can jack you up too.
">
tokyoklahoma is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 03:38 PM   #864
hawideri
Adventurer

Oddometer: 47
I learned the hard way to:

Already noticed a dozen of times, but I had to learn it the hard way anyway. So hereby my list:

1) Object fixation is a sneaky bastard.
2) don’t crawl behind a truck and overtake it in one go. Overtake with keeping your distance, go to the right side (or left in UK) of your part of the road, check (you can now look what is in front of the truck), and then overtake.
3) Object fixation remains a problem even if you are aware of it.
hawideri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 08:13 PM   #865
shaddix
Banned

Oddometer: 647
Ok. Something I Don't get.

This idea that you should ride faster than traffic on the interstate so people see you. I completely disagree with this and would like to understand where this thought comes from.

I will postulate, that maintaining around you cages that have demonstrated safe habits is far safer than passing everyone on the road. This is assuming traffic is so thick there's not miles of free space, but thin enough that you're not simply boxed in. I would much rather ride in front of a vehicle that I have observed pays attention to the road and leaves excellent following distance than passing every random person.
shaddix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 08:57 PM   #866
JRWooden
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,135
My theory is that you need to NOT maintain a constant relative position to other vehicles....
If you do ... they forget you are there after a while..............

It doesn't need to be a dramatic over-the-top effort, but to the extent possible, when running in traffic:
Speed up a bit, slow down a bit, switch lanes etc.... this keeps you fresh in the other driver's minds.
JRWooden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 11:21 PM   #867
tallpaul63
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 419
Bikes are unforgiving

Perhaps previously mentioned, but...

We get into our cars because we must, because it's time to be somewhere else, almost regardless of our mental state. Tired, frustrated, distracted, stressed... doesn't matter, we drive anyways.

I think we need to approach motorcycling somewhat differently. They require us to be on top of our game, and are relatively unforgiving of mistakes. So we need to consider whether we're ready to ride: rested, composed, healthy, alert, well fed and hydrated. This becomes apparent when you've been in the saddle for too long, and perhaps haven't taken enough breaks. Fatigue leads to mistakes, and you have to have the awareness to take care of yourself in time, before you get hurt.

So far my mistakes have only hurt my ego. A bit of humility can be a good thing.
tallpaul63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 12:53 AM   #868
ParrotheadJeff

Oddometer: n/a
If you're a n00b and really don't know bikes yet, forget about what you think you know about performance figures in bike specifications.

When I first looked at bikes, I was concerned that the BMW G650GS might not have enough power. It's about 400 pounds and has 50 horsepower. I ended up getting a V-Star 650 which I really enjoy. I knew it weighs 500+ pounds, but until about a week ago I didn't have any idea just how much power it had other than what the seat of my pants told me. I only knew that it has plenty until I found out via a Dynojet mobile dyno that it's only got 33 horsepower and 34 lb-ft of torque at the rear wheel That G650GS sounds like a pretty quick bike in comparison
Old 05-08-2012, 11:03 AM   #869
lemieuxmc
Banned

Oddometer: 3,360
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAKEZ View Post
If that is what works for you in your CAR then keep doing it. In my mind it is folly to go with the flow while riding a motorcycle.

I ride slightly faster than the flow, move around in my lane and change lanes to allow me to maintain this slightly faster speed.

It is not because I want to get there first. It is simply that I want to get there period... A vehicle flowing through (not with) traffic is FAR more visible and noticeable than one simply in it.

Also it is MORE FUN and MORE ENGAGING. When you are going faster than the flow you are forced to pay attention and not be lulled into a sense of complacency. When a rider is focused it is extremely rare for them to get into trouble. (unless they are going far too fast which in not what we are talking about here)

So you just keep driving your cage and telling people who actually ride how you think it should be done.

Jeff
And there are less cars coming up behind you, and those are gaining on you more slowly.
lemieuxmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 11:15 AM   #870
ParrotheadJeff

Oddometer: n/a
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAKEZ
Jeff
DAKEZ