Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-08-2012, 09:49 PM   #871
shaddix
Banned

Oddometer: 647
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAKEZ View Post
If that is what works for you in your CAR then keep doing it. In my mind it is folly to go with the flow while riding a motorcycle.

I ride slightly faster than the flow, move around in my lane and change lanes to allow me to maintain this slightly faster speed.

It is not because I want to get there first. It is simply that I want to get there period... A vehicle flowing through (not with) traffic is FAR more visible and noticeable than one simply in it.

Also it is MORE FUN and MORE ENGAGING. When you are going faster than the flow you are forced to pay attention and not be lulled into a sense of complacency. When a rider is focused it is extremely rare for them to get into trouble. (unless they are going far too fast which in not what we are talking about here)

So you just keep driving your cage and telling people who actually ride how you think it should be done.

Jeff
I do ride, daily... That's a good point about going faster causes you to be more alert. Counterpoint going faster increases damage if you do get into an accident.

Increased visibility vs knowing the cagers around you.. something to think about, thanks.

In a car I don't think it's nearly important what you do, also you're rude :)
shaddix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 10:34 PM   #872
dwoodward
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,142
Quote:
Originally Posted by shaddix View Post
I do ride, daily... That's a good point about going faster causes you to be more alert. Counterpoint going faster increases damage if you do get into an accident.

Increased visibility vs knowing the cagers around you.. something to think about, thanks.

In a car I don't think it's nearly important what you do, also you're rude :)
Bugger all that visibility stuff.

If you're moving faster than 90% of traffic... 90% of your problems are in front of you.

If you're moving at the same speed as traffic... they're all around you.
dwoodward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 07:40 AM   #873
duck
Banned

Oddometer: 10,403
I just ride faster because it's more fun.

It always bothers me when people say "ride safe." Not only because it is grammatically incorrect (should be ride safely) but also because if I wanted to be safe the last thing I'd do is ride a motorcycle in traffic.
duck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 07:48 AM   #874
goatmeal
Push button go boom

Oddometer: 192
Quote:
Originally Posted by duck View Post

It always bothers me when people say "ride safe." Not only because it is grammatically incorrect (should be ride safely) but also because if I wanted to be safe the last thing I'd do is ride a motorcycle in traffic.

Haha!!! So true!!!

"If panties fell on the ground, my work is complete." - ShadyRascal

"Hey Goatmeal...f*** you." - Saffrontiger
goatmeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 02:10 PM   #875
shaddix
Banned

Its really not that dangerous compared to a car though I thought. There's 2% of accidents can't avoid. But there's another 2% you will avoid simply because you're on a bike that would have nailed you on a car. I don't think the difference is even as big as is commonly thought here
Old 05-09-2012, 05:35 PM   #876
lemieuxmc
Banned

Oddometer: 3,360
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAKEZ View Post
Me? Rude?

Nah!

Quite possibly you are also an insensitive prick who thinks that he is some kind of riding God! Been on FacePlant lately?

Oh the humanity...
lemieuxmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 10:09 PM   #877
duck
Banned

Quote:
Its really not that dangerous compared to a car though I thought. There's 2% of accidents can't avoid. But there's another 2% you will avoid simply because you're on a bike that would have nailed you on a car. I don't think the difference is even as big as is commonly thought here
The stats are that fatalities per passenger mile (a common transportation safety metric) are roughly 35+ times as high on a motorcycle than in a car. You're much more exposed on a bike than in a car with a steel cage around you, seat belts and air bags.
Old 05-10-2012, 07:04 AM   #878
shaddix
Banned

Quote:
The stats are that fatalities per passenger mile (a common transportation safety metric) are roughly 35+ times as high on a motorcycle than in a car. You're much more exposed on a bike than in a car with a steel cage around you, seat belts and air bags.
Maybe if you add in all the drunk riders sure, but its not nearly that high for good riders...
Old 05-10-2012, 10:31 AM   #879
duck
Banned

Quote:
Maybe if you add in all the drunk riders sure, but its not nearly that high for good riders...
Same goes for car drivers, eh?

Anybody who thinks they're safer on a bike than in a car is just plain foolish IMHO. I certainly don't suffer under the delusion that riding is anywhere near as safe as being in a car.

And no matter how safe you THINK you are, you can get t-boned at an intersection or taken out by a deer like nationally known MC safety expert Larry Grodsky did a few years ago.

So I'm sure now I'll get the usual responses of "I've been riding for XX years and X million miles and I'm still alive so it will never happen to me." A couple of years ago I met a guy at the ferry dock who had been riding for decades. Fortyfive minutes later I watched him die instantly when he got taken out by a left-turner. The "it'll never happen to me" mentality is just denial, plain and simple.

On the whole though, most riders die of something else so I'm not implying that riding is a self-imposed death sentence by any means, just pointing out that we're more vulnerable out on the road than somebody in a car.
Old 05-10-2012, 12:53 PM   #880
shaddix
Banned

Do you reject the notion that there are some accidents you'll avoid on a bike that you couldn't in a car?
Old 05-10-2012, 11:31 PM   #881
duck
Banned

Quote:
Do you reject the notion that there are some accidents you'll avoid on a bike that you couldn't in a car?
Of course not, you're a smaller target and, if you're on your game at that instant then you may have more "agility" when the oh shit moment occurs, I had some twatwaffle pull a U-turn out of nowhere on me a couple of years ago without looking. If I'd been in a car I probably would've t-boned the mofo at 40+mph. Fortunately I was able to make it past his rear bumper by a bit but if I'd have hit him I was in for a good 60 foot Superman to the pavement whereas in a car it would've been an airbag deployment and maybe a bloody nose.

But the fatality stats are what they are and the truth is that your body is much more exposed and vulnerable on a motorcycle.

I'm obviously not against riding, I just think one needs to be realistic about the risks involved. Hell, I love to go to MT, ID, SD, UT and ride without a helmet - but I don't for an instant fool myself into thinking that my riding skills will get me out of every situation and I choose to assume the additional risk because it's worth it TO ME.
Old 05-11-2012, 05:33 AM   #882
shaddix
Banned

Sorry I was confused, I was thinking about accident rate, which I think for a good rider it will not be any higher than a good driver, possibly lower. Damage done when an accident occurs is something else entirely.
Old 05-11-2012, 05:58 AM   #883
rivercreep
Banned

Oddometer: 3,243
Only 1 constant that I've learned over the years.

The 1 constant that I've learned over the years is that there ARE no constants.

All of you Guys who think there is only one right way to go for any given situation, are completely full of shit.

If you don't constantly adjust your (insert anything here) to the atmosphere that's around you, you're going to end up with a good story to tell in faceplant.

I'll go one step further in mentioning that if you really want to stay alive, you'd better also learn how to almost predict what's going to happen around you by learning how everyone else that's on the road around you are going to interact with each other.

If you're a Newbie reading threads like this to pick up some survival skills, realize that you can learn something from almost every tip you read around here but, more importantly, realize that some of the things you read here can complement each other when executed properly.
There's no such thing as a one skill fits all, when it comes to surviving on a motorcycle.
rivercreep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 06:41 AM   #884
SCQTT
Zwei Kolben

Oddometer: 5,324
Quote:
Originally Posted by MotoMusicMark View Post
...”What did you wish someone told you about motorcycling when you first started out?”

(USA)
Gravity is a bitch....and it's the law!

&

You'll run out of talent sooner than motorcycle.
Old 05-11-2012, 11:20 AM   #885
ER70S-2
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,752
Quote:
......if I wanted to be safe the last thing I'd do is ride a motorcycle.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCQTT View Post
Gravity is a bitch........ it's the law!
And it's enforced immediately.

n00b tip:
Front brake, lots of front brake. Practice threshold braking every time you ride (sigh.... always check behind you first). Your front brake is your best friend , learn how to use it aggressively so your muscle memory saves yer butt when that 'something' happens. BTDT more 'n once

Boring disclaimer: don't go out on your next ride and grab a fistful of brake , learn it incrementally.

SUZUKI DR650SE INFORMATION INDEX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threewheelbonnie View Post
"BTW, I don't do style. It's a dirt bike, not some girlie dress-up thing." -
ER70S-2 is online now   Reply With Quote