Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > The perfect line and other riding myths
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-11-2012, 07:32 PM   #886
southwade
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Oddometer: 1,644
quick braking should be done exponentially.

softly... gradually increasing friction until it's a full strength grip at near-stop.

It allows the bikes weight to shift without upsetting the suspension too much.
Old 05-12-2012, 08:38 PM   #887
DAKEZ
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 19,528
Quote:
Originally Posted by duck View Post
Anybody who thinks they're safer on a bike than in a car is just plain foolish IMHO. I certainly don't suffer under the delusion that riding is anywhere near as safe as being in a car.
I am safer on a bike than in a car.

Cars breed complacency and inattentiveness. Riding brings full focus to the task at hand and makes one feel alive. (at least it does me... I am far more safe while riding than I am while driving)
Old 05-13-2012, 04:28 AM   #888
duck
Banned

Oddometer: 10,404
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAKEZ View Post
Cars breed complacency and inattentiveness.
No, they don't. That's the driver's choice. A car, without a driver, is an inanimate object. If you're a shitty driver then its not the car's fault, its yours. Same goes for riders who lack situational awareness, never check their mirrors, don't shoulder check before lane changes, etc...

duck screwed with this post 05-13-2012 at 04:40 AM
duck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 07:18 AM   #889
DAKEZ
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 19,528
Fish on!!!

duck.

They get into a car, close the door...INSTANT separation from the world around them. Happily enclosed in the personal shuttle craft or heat pod or whatever you want to call a cage they go out onto the road like sheep with a purpose.

For the most part the vast majority manage to follow the rules of the road and manage to flow along nicely to their intended destination. Some fall asleep. Some simply forget that there is a task they should remain focused on and shift too much of their focus to their encapsulated immediate space. It is this separation from what IS that “breed complacency”

As riders we need to take this into account and ride accordingly. Or we end up like this guy.
http://www.9news.com/news/local/arti...nto-motorcycle-
Old 05-13-2012, 08:56 AM   #890
duck
Banned

Oddometer: 10,404
So what? There's plenty of idiots on motorcycles too. One could make the argument that cruisers breed complacency and inattentiveness. (for some)

It's not the vehicle, it's the operator.

If you think you're safer on a motorcycle than in a car then you really need to work on your driving skillz.
duck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 11:54 AM   #891
shaddix
Banned

Oddometer: 647
Quote:
So what? There's plenty of idiots on motorcycles too. One could make the argument that cruisers breed complacency and inattentiveness. (for some)

If you think you're safer on a motorcycle than in a car then you really need to work on your driving skillz.
Hey I'm glad this got brought back up.

I agree with what you're saying, even if the car wrecks twice as often as a bike, you only have what a 20% chance of serious injury in a car vs 80%? of serious injury/death on a bike. So the car could wreck three times for the bike's once and it would still be safer than the bike.

I think on the practical end though, given a perfect rider, you'll die of old age before you get in a wreck. Consider car average is accident every 8 years. Take good drivers who simply don't wreck. A friend I had rear ended a 70 year old man who said it was his first accident ever, a good rider wouldn't have been rear ended.. That 8 year statistic includes stupid teenagers and drunks.

So far a car driver, chance of serious injury/death in a wreck over their lifetime may be 0.05% (pulled out my ass). On a bike, maybe 0.08%. So technically you're not safer of course, and while I think a car will get in more wrecks than a bike, they will still be safer just because of the cage. But practically, it's irrelevant I think.

I will say that I do drive much more dangerously in the cage than I do on the bike...... so for me, I'm sure I am in fact safer on the bike..... but like you said that's operator, not function of the vehicle.(though it is enabled by the vehicle, dakez does have a point)
shaddix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 12:05 PM   #892
perterra
-. --- .--. .

Oddometer: 7,400
Quote:

I believe Dakez does have a point, I agree it's the driver but rarely does a motorcycle rider fall asleep on the saddle, doesn't text very often, never seen one yet riding down the road with a laptop open looking at it. Eating a burrito and drinking a drink on the bike is pretty hard, plucking eyebrows or putting on makeup, forget it. Bikes demand a little more involvement than cars, never seen a bike with a load of screaming little distractions in the back seat.

So yeah it's the driver, but bikes don't allow the same sort of disassociation with responsibility.

IBA 22425
perterra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 04:55 PM   #893
ParrotheadJeff

Oddometer: n/a
Just because you can do something on a motorcycle doesn't mean you should

Old 05-13-2012, 09:24 PM   #894
Shake_N_Bake
Adventurer

Oddometer: 64
The vast majority of people drive because they feel like they have too. They do not do it because they enjoy it or even like it. The way society here has developed is around personal transportation. Because these people are doing something they don't want to do but feel they have to do, they are never going to give it their full attention. In fact, if you ask and people would answer truthfully, most people are actually scared to drive. So they mask this fear with texting, applying make-up etc. anything to disguise what they are actually doing.

But the people who chose to use a different form of transportation such as motorcycles are doing it by choice. If you do something by choice, you are far more likely to pay attention to a much higher degree. So yes a motorcyclist could be a safer person to have on the road just from an attention standpoint. Are you safer from injury riding versus driving? Obviously not.
Shake_N_Bake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 12:02 PM   #895
LuciferMutt
Rides slow bike slow

Oddometer: 10,929
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shake_N_Bake View Post
The vast majority of people drive because they feel like they have too. They do not do it because they enjoy it or even like it. The way society here has developed is around personal transportation. Because these people are doing something they don't want to do but feel they have to do, they are never going to give it their full attention. In fact, if you ask and people would answer truthfully, most people are actually scared to drive. So they mask this fear with texting, applying make-up etc. anything to disguise what they are actually doing.

Very true. I (had)* a friend who was a pretty scary driver. Not aggressive or fast or ragey, but just completely oblivious to her surroundings and the context of traffic and the road. During a conversation about it she told me that driving terrified her so much the only way she could do it was by pretending it was a video game and not real life!!! THAT terrified me!

*No longer friends with this person for other reasons

Badasses might screw with another badass. Nobody screws with a nut job. -- Plaka
LuciferMutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 12:58 PM   #896
SCQTT
Zwei Kolben

Oddometer: 5,317
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuciferMutt View Post
Very true. I (had)* a friend who was a pretty scary driver. Not aggressive or fast or ragey, but just completely oblivious to her surroundings and the context of traffic and the road. During a conversation about it she told me that driving terrified her so much the only way she could do it was by pretending it was a video game and not real life!!! THAT terrified me!

*No longer friends with this person for other reasons
I date her.

Great in bed, but downright scary on the road.

Life is a balance.
Old 05-14-2012, 06:58 PM   #897
ER70S-2
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,112
What they teach:

What your muscles better know:

SUZUKI DR650SE INFORMATION INDEX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threewheelbonnie View Post
"BTW, I don't do style. It's a dirt bike, not some girlie dress-up thing." -
ER70S-2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 03:01 PM   #898
JLAW3000
Adventurer

Oddometer: 33
Noob introduction, things most helpfull in the past few years

Went for my first ride with some of you 3 summers ago up near Salida Colorado (rode with the guys while the ladies were at chick fest). Did a 60 mile loop mostly on dirt on G.I.B's DRZ400 with some of the best riders I have ridden with still to this day and was completely hooked. Trial by fire I guess you could call it and well, I'm still here.

The next summer I signed op for the first MSF course available and bought a KLX 300. The next summer I restored an old CB650 that GIB had in his garage. Three years after that first ride I am still completely hooked and learn something new every single ride.

To reiterate:

ATGATT
You are invisible. Had a car pull out and block the ENTIRE lane in-front of me yesterday. (stopping drill reflexes saved me)
It's not the bike, it's the rider.
Bigger is not better. As you can see, I started small, and still have not outgrown anything.
Learn from riding with other riders, taking their advice and reading things like this.
Many lessons from riding can be applied to life and visa versa.

Wish I had joined the site sooner. I'll catch up with and find some of you as I go.
JLAW3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 05:00 AM   #899
JRWooden
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,128
Some lame butthead chatting on his cellphone did the same thing to me the other day...
I wanted to "time" my stop to put just a bit of a dent in his driver-side door....

"Sorry buddy you pulled out in front of me ... I'll wait if you want to call the cops so they can give you a ticket..."

but .... I resisted ....
JRWooden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 07:06 AM   #900
JRWooden
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,128
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAKEZ View Post
That was going to be a series ... I tried tracking it down a while back and apparently after that pilot episode things never got off the ground. :-/
JRWooden is offline   Reply With Quote