Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-18-2012, 01:31 PM   #931
feldjäger
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 131
Quote:
Originally Posted by slide View Post
Yikes! IV bag and suture kit. I can guess what else you have. Most of us can't get those things nor would we know how to use them.

My take is that the spill would either result in injuries which are trivial or those which I couldn't address if I had a whole hospital at my command.
Don't worry I have a bit of training thanks to Uncle Sam. My point I am trying to get across which I hope isn't lost is that if I took a nice spill and either scrapped myself up pretty good or broke something I wouldn't count on a couple of band aides to help, I would want just a little bit more, and I'm not saying to throw IV's in your bag like I have but I'm sure if you rode out on this side of the country and you took that spill I'm putting my money you would like to have someone like me around with that not so big med kit I carry
feldjäger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 02:31 PM   #932
JRWooden
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,195
Quote:
Originally Posted by feldjäger View Post
... I'm putting my money you would like to have someone like me around with that not so big med kit I carry
Thank you feldjäger on the account of a guy like you one of my brother's best friends is alive today.

I won't go into the stomach-churning details, but everyone involved in the case agrees that without the almost immediate and top-rate field care he received he'd have been dead on the spot.
JRWooden is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 02:32 PM   #933
slide
A nation in despair

Oddometer: 21,122
Quote:
Originally Posted by feldjäger View Post
I'm putting my money you would like to have someone like me around with that not so big med kit I carry :
No doubt, but that doesn't give me the skills needed to use a med kit.
Old 06-18-2012, 05:08 PM   #934
devo2002
-Devo

Oddometer: 3,757
How about you tell a noob the best way to seat the bead while on the trail with a tiny air compressor that will take 5+ minutes to fill?
Old 06-18-2012, 06:43 PM   #935
feldjäger
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 131
Quote:
When I refer to a med kit I'm saying putting a little more into then a few band aides you know, gauze, cold packs, burn cream, and things that one can pick up at the local CVS or Wal Mart. I just happen to carry a bit more than that. I'm really not trying to start and argument just giving a suggestion that I find useful that maybe someone getting into adventure riding will think about and bring along, and hey if it saves a life or keeps him on the trail versus having to stop then I did my part.
feldjäger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 09:20 PM   #936
shelion
Goddess of Fire

Oddometer: 388
Quote:
No, but someone else that does know how to use it might come along. All the knowledge in the world does no good without tools. Even without the knowledge, if you have the tools, the knowledge might show up later.
Old 06-20-2012, 11:16 AM   #937
LittleRedToyota
Yinzer

Oddometer: 2,232
Quote:
Originally Posted by devo2002 View Post
How about you tell a noob the best way to seat the bead while on the trail with a tiny air compressor that will take 5+ minutes to fill?
the bead will often seat trailside even with a bicycle pump. you've been riding the tire and it is hot and very pliable at that point.

if it doesn't seat at the PSI you actually want in the tire, just keep pumping as much air into the tube as your compressor or bike pump can.

if it's still not seated, try bouncing the tire on the ground a bunch of times.

if it's still not seated, make sure you have at least 25psi or so in it and just ride on it. it will very likely just seat itself while you are riding. keep checking it and, once it seats, let some air out to get it to the pressure you want.
LittleRedToyota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 01:54 PM   #938
superslomo
Adventurer

Oddometer: 44
Try riding in the rain, and in the dark before you HAVE to do so. Take a short jaunt or two in those challenging conditions, as you never know when you might get caught in a downpour, or have to hustle home late after unexpected delays.

Don't outride your headlight.

Avoid days where you could confront black ice (personal opinion, but it's one thing you can do very little about that can do a good bit of breaking you into pieces and wrecking the bike.)

Don't buy a used motorcycle where the seller says "just needs a battery and a carb cleaning". They are dirty, lying b**tards ;)

Don't buy a used bike where the owner doesn't have a valid title. It's not a good deal. It's a sad, drawn-out nightmare, potentially.

Keep your control inputs gradual and smooth, try and keep yourself physically relaxed, brake softly and early unless you can't avoid it. The back tire breaks free really easily, at least I've been reminded of that as I've learned.

DO learn to change your oil, DO learn to clean and lube a chain (don't worry too much about the specifics of chain routines, there are as many ways to lube chains as there are people lubing chains.)

Good gear makes the riding experience better in every way.

Good gear is not always the same as "the most expensive gear." A racing helmet and gloves may be perfect for one hard hour at high speed, but may not be perfect for 10 hours on a dirt road or country roads getting from point A to point B on a real trip.

Focus on things as far ahead of you as possible, try and think of and prepare for all possible outcomes.

On a bike, deer are a Very Big Deal.

In a car, lightning means little. On a bike, lightning is a Very Very Big Deal. Get off the bike and get under cover if lightning is getting close IMMEDIATELY. It's an easy way to get killed.
superslomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 02:04 PM   #939
slide
A nation in despair

Good list Supeslomo, but I wonder at the lightning. Are you aware of any actual incident where a rider was hurt due to a hit? I'm not.
Old 07-11-2012, 02:09 PM   #940
superslomo
Adventurer

http://www.lakestockton.com/read.php?64,93991,94037
http://www.thedenverchannel.com/news...81/detail.html
http://community.discovery.com/eve/f.../m/47319550601
http://www.msgroup.org/Tip.aspx?Num=098

I have heard a story about it from someone who was struck but not killed, and it's mainly a question of: as a new rider, think of stuff that you wouldn't really have reflected on as possible points of caution. Lightning is such an absolute non-issue when you are driving, that pointing out that distinction seemed relevant.

It's not as likely as low-siding on a pile of wet leaves, of course, but that's been mentioned above already
Old 07-11-2012, 02:15 PM   #941
slide
A nation in despair

Thx for the links. I had no idea this was a danger.
Old 07-11-2012, 02:26 PM   #942
superslomo
Adventurer

Well, if I go to sleep tonight knowing I've filled someone with fear they didn't know they should have, then I've really done my job today.

You can feel safe until you're about the same distance from the storm that would cause worry if you were on foot in the open. The big difference is the bike can put you into the storm in a few minutes, and with earplugs while concentrating on other stuff, it's hard to tell how close the strikes are to where you happen to be. Nothing to be paranoid about, but from what I understand it's something that's good to be aware of at least.
Old 07-11-2012, 05:23 PM   #943
BudCAD
Zen Motorcyclist

Oddometer: 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAKEZ View Post
But your way is the right way?

Cleaning o-ring chains and spraying on that sticky "won't fling off.." so called "lube" cuts the life of a chain in half.
Dude, lighten up, he didn't describe a way. Geez.
BudCAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 05:28 PM   #944
award900
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 251
Lurk.

Sent from my LG-P999 using Tapatalk 2
award900 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 06:12 PM   #945
superslomo
Adventurer

Yeah. You should always clean, or never clean. You should lube every time you fill the tank, or never, or get a scottoiler, or they are awful messes.

When cleaning, your should always use kerosene. Or never use kerosene. Or always use wd40. Or never use wd40. Or use simple green. Or use a specialty degreaser. Or don't.

When lubing, you should only use wax. Or only use dupont teflon. Or only use 75w90 gear oil. Or only use old motor oil you have lying around. Or only use boeshield. Or only use atf. Or use nothing.

As long as you follow all of these rules, your chain will last for a period of time, at which point it won't last any longer.

You have my word.

Also, new riders should only use the one most perfect motor oil.