ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > The perfect line and other riding myths
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 07-13-2012, 07:55 AM   #961
LittleRedToyota
Yinzer
 
LittleRedToyota's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2011
Location: Pittsburgh
Oddometer: 2,071
Quote:
Originally Posted by woolsocks View Post
I'm going to have to be fast one day right?
do not try to be fast. try to be smooth. speed will then come naturally.

slow is smooth. smooth is fast.

looking ahead is key. you have to learn to do that before worrying about going fast. once you get good at it, you'll find that your perceived field of vision widens so you can still see stuff closer to you even though you are looking further ahead.

for now, slow down and concentrate on looking ahead and riding smoothly. then speed will gradually come naturally.

Quote:
I guess do you guys think about sand and road debris while riding and consciously avoid it?
not really. i ride well within my limits, so i have a margin for error if i hit road debris. also, i ride dirt a lot, so road debris is not a big deal to me...i don't really care if my bike slides a bit--i'm used to it. it also helps that i ride a lightweight dual sport, though.

consider getting a dirt bike and learning to ride in dirt. it makes road debris much less of an issue. (and it's more fun that you can imagine.)
LittleRedToyota is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 08:16 AM   #962
duck
Banned
 
duck's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2004
Location: Seattle (Berkeley with rain)
Oddometer: 10,404
Quote:
Originally Posted by littleredtoyota View Post
do not try to be fast. Try to be smooth.
+1,000
duck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 08:27 AM   #963
RevBill
Irreverent Reverend
 
RevBill's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2008
Location: Mayodan, NC
Oddometer: 2,104
Quote:
Originally Posted by woolsocks View Post
Dakez and RevBill- What you guys wrote makes sense, I'll store it in my mental computer and be aware of it while I'm riding. I plan on taking a course in about a month or so that addresses the issues I asked about, it's like a "track day learners course" that addresses cornering and braking. I think I'm not fully comfortable, or aware of my bike's turning and traction capabilities so any amount of road debris sends me into a "noob panic" when I probably have a lot more traction and lean angle to complete the turn.

Noobs...
.. actually .. sounds like you got your brain and attitude dialed in pretty well .. Ride Blessed ..

.. and I am a tad envious of the opportunity to get in on a course like that .. I learn something every time .. have fun ..
__________________
"On the road less traveled there ain't no TP, bring your own and that will make all the difference.."
RevBill's SmugMug Shenanigans
My '06 KLR
RevBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 01:27 PM   #964
superslomo
Adventurer
 
superslomo's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2011
Location: Hudson Valley
Oddometer: 44
To quote Alain Prost:
"When I look fast, I'm not smooth and I am going slowly. And when I look slow, I am smooth and going fast."
__________________
We've heard that a million monkeys at a million keyboards could produce the complete works of Shakespeare; now, thanks to the Internet, we know that is not true. --Robert Wilensky
superslomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 05:44 AM   #965
Coma
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Coma's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2012
Location: The North Coast
Oddometer: 248
Wow! Way cool thread.

Bike purchase next spring. $1500 budget for gear

Returning rider. Things I am learning/relearning.

MSF Beginner course in Spring.

Just like Jets, don't take your bike someplace your head hasn't already been.

ATGATT

Dirt is good. I think that is why I am drawn to the GS. Well, gravel roads at first.

Like drawing a pistol, smooth is fast. Although I'm too old to care about really fast, I do find smooth good for the soul.

Hmm, this trail baking thing has me puzzled, David Hough on order.

I've been practicing slow on my bicycle, perhaps some will transfer?

From Face Plants, How many actually wear a Collar?

I was a full face helmet guy, Anyone have thoughts about the convertible type where the chin guard raises?

So much to absorb.
Coma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 01:27 AM   #966
orangebear
Beastly Adventurer
 
orangebear's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2010
Location: dumfrie scotland
Oddometer: 1,210
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coma View Post
Wow! Way cool thread.

Bike purchase next spring. $1500 budget for gear

Returning rider. Things I am learning/relearning.

MSF Beginner course in Spring.

Just like Jets, don't take your bike someplace your head hasn't already been.

ATGATT

Dirt is good. I think that is why I am drawn to the GS. Well, gravel roads at first.

Like drawing a pistol, smooth is fast. Although I'm too old to care about really fast, I do find smooth good for the soul.

Hmm, this trail baking thing has me puzzled, David Hough on order.

I've been practicing slow on my bicycle, perhaps some will transfer?

From Face Plants, How many actually wear a Collar?

I was a full face helmet guy, Anyone have thoughts about the convertible type where the chin guard raises?

So much to absorb.

as long as you are over 5.10 tall you will fit the gs ok but the 1200gs and the 1200gs adv are huge bike that weigh a hell of a lot and have a very high seat.


i would look at the ktm 990 adv as its a fair bit lighter thas a lower seat and is better offroad and is great to up in the bends.
__________________
bmw r100gs i ride it all year round
bmw r100/7 x2 sold
road legal stomp pitbike sold
Klr650c the 1 I should not of wasted my money on
Honda xl125rc powered by a cg125 block fun wee bike
orangebear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 04:41 AM   #967
Coma
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Coma's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2012
Location: The North Coast
Oddometer: 248
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAKEZ View Post
Different helmets for different riding. FF dual sport helmet for off road, Modulars for on road, Scorpion EXO 900, Nolan N43E.

The N43E is my favorite helmet I have owned in the last 40 years. My Captain America helmet from back in the day still holds the #1 spot.
Uh oh, larger gear budget, Yikes!
Coma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 04:47 AM   #968
Coma
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Coma's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2012
Location: The North Coast
Oddometer: 248
Quote:
Originally Posted by orangebear View Post
as long as you are over 5.10 tall you will fit the gs ok but the 1200gs and the 1200gs adv are huge bike that weigh a hell of a lot and have a very high seat.


i would look at the ktm 990 adv as its a fair bit lighter thas a lower seat and is better offroad and is great to up in the bends.
6.0, so that helps. I see the KTM mentioned a lot, I will do the diligence, I must admit long lust/love for the boxer.
Coma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 04:49 AM   #969
RevBill
Irreverent Reverend
 
RevBill's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2008
Location: Mayodan, NC
Oddometer: 2,104
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coma View Post
Uh oh, larger gear budget, Yikes!
.. good point .. ATGATT don't come cheap .. well .. if you buy retail it don't ..

.. shop the flea market here at ADV .. or fleaBay on the internet .. I have gotten some GREAT deals on GOOD (sometimes nearly-new) gear and saved a chunk of money for Farkles .. I think about the only thing I wear that I paid retail for are my gloves ..

.. that's something like five jackets .. about six helmets .. three pairs of riding pants .. boots .. everything "name brand" quality gear fit for a big guy .. you normal-sized guys and gals should do even better than I have .. and I'm still somewhere around a grand (US $$) for everything ..

.. great point Coma ..
__________________
"On the road less traveled there ain't no TP, bring your own and that will make all the difference.."
RevBill's SmugMug Shenanigans
My '06 KLR
RevBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 06:28 PM   #970
Coma
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Coma's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2012
Location: The North Coast
Oddometer: 248
Quote:
Originally Posted by RevBill View Post
.. shop the flea market here at ADV .. or fleaBay on the internet .. I have gotten some GREAT deals on GOOD (sometimes nearly-new) gear and saved a chunk of money for Farkles .. I think about the only thing I wear that I paid retail for are my gloves ..

.. that's something like five jackets .. about six helmets .. three pairs of riding pants .. boots .. everything "name brand" quality gear fit for a big guy .. you normal-sized guys and gals should do even better than I have .. and I'm still somewhere around a grand (US $$) for everything ..
Thanks for the Tip!
Coma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 11:23 AM   #971
woolsocks
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Oct 2011
Location: Minneapolis, MN
Oddometer: 224
Maintenance Courses

Thanks for the advice guys. I like to do my own maintenance on the bike (currently doing chain cleaning, lube, tire condition and pressure checks and oil changes) and would like to take the MSF maintenance course. Has anyone taken it? Is it worthwhile? Does anyone happen to have suggestions of where to get some knowledge of bike maintenance in a class room, hands-on setting other than the MSF?
woolsocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 11:26 AM   #972
slide
A nation in despair
 
Joined: Jul 2003
Location: NM, USA
Oddometer: 21,119
I didn't know the MSF does a maintenance class. If you take it, why not post your results? I'm sure I'm not alone in not knowing that the MSF offers this.

My guess is most folks just figure things out along the way based on their otherwise knowing or add to it by buying a manual. If you can find a Clymer or Haynes manual for your bike model, buy it. These manuals make things MUCH easier because they do not assume you are certified like the factory ones do.
__________________
Why be born again when you can just grow up?
slide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 11:30 AM   #973
woolsocks
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Oct 2011
Location: Minneapolis, MN
Oddometer: 224
Quote:
Originally Posted by slide View Post
I didn't know the MSF does a maintenance class. If you take it, why not post your results? I'm sure I'm not alone in not knowing that the MSF offers this.

My guess is most folks just figure things out along the way based on their otherwise knowing or add to it by buying a manual. If you can find a Clymer or Haynes manual for your bike model, buy it. These manuals make things MUCH easier because they do not assume you are certified like the factory ones do.
Whoops, it appears to be with the MN DOT. Not sure if other states have this program, but you can check it out here. In my MSF course two years ago they recommended that beginners take this one during their first year of riding (which I'm in).

Check it out:

https://dps.mn.gov/divisions/ots/mms...intenance.aspx
woolsocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 11:33 AM   #974
manx_20
Gnarly Adventurer
 
manx_20's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2010
Location: Campbell Hall,NY
Oddometer: 404
I didn't read through all thru posts but commuting in NYC has taught me that the car in front if you is history and what's going on in front of him is the present

Sent from my Android
__________________
┌∩┐(◣_◢)┌∩┐ Noo Joisey
manx_20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 12:01 PM   #975
slide
A nation in despair
 
Joined: Jul 2003
Location: NM, USA
Oddometer: 21,119
Quote:
Originally Posted by woolsocks View Post
Whoops, it appears to be with the MN DOT. Not sure if other states have this program, but you can check it out here. In my MSF course two years ago they recommended that beginners take this one during their first year of riding (which I'm in).

Check it out:

https://dps.mn.gov/divisions/ots/mms...intenance.aspx
Based on that list, if you don't know that stuff at birth (adjusting a chain???) you never will. Get the Clymer.
__________________
Why be born again when you can just grow up?
slide is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 03:05 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014