User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-15-2012, 08:52 PM   #1036
Hawk62cj5
2 Cheap 4 a KLR

Oddometer: 584
Noob question

Today I was working between my home and my homestead (about 40 miles apart) and I came across some roads Ive always took as a farm path or drive way . I was on my work van and said what the hell and took them and found I could ride them about a third of the 40 some mile distance to the home place but I have never encountered gavel wash boards on a bike before , are they as bad on a bike as a 4 wheeled vehicle ? This gravel road is very typical for this area , deep gravel middle , one lane , wash board tracks in corners and hills with very loose outer . back in my younger days I lived at the end of a 6 mile long dirt road and could run most of them 60-70 mph on a jacked up 4x4 ..... Looking at it I dont think I would last long on the bike at any considerable speed.

Oh, thanks for this thread it has been right helpfull , Betweeen some things here and in my MSF book Im improving on my bike daily on the road .
Hawk62cj5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 03:35 PM   #1037
duck
Banned

Oddometer: 10,404
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mambo Dave View Post
The guys and gals who approach motorcycling (or get turned off by it when they learn that it will happen) with the attitude that "Hey, but I don't want to fall, and I don't want to have my rear tire kick out!" really aren't even ready to start riding street IMHO. Many do, but they seem to make for poor riders.
What a crock of shit. Though I do defintely agree that riding dirt gives you some experience with loss of traction that can help on the street it is not the only way to learn how to ride and someone who works on their riding doing only street can become a good rider. If somebody chooses to just ride around on a cruiser at 5 mph under then yeah, their riding will probably suck eggs. But somebody who actually works on their street riding skills CAN actually become a good rider.
duck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 03:44 PM   #1038
slide
A nation in despair

Oddometer: 21,123
Quote:
Originally Posted by duck View Post
What a crock of shit. Though I do defintely agree that riding dirt gives you some experience with loss of traction that can help on the street it is not the only way to learn how to ride and someone who works on their riding doing only street can become a good rider. If somebody chooses to just ride around on a cruiser at 5 mph under then yeah, their riding will probably suck eggs. But somebody who actually works on their street riding skills CAN actually become a good rider.
+100

The only thing dirt riding can surely teach an adult newbie is how to work a wheelchair.
Old 08-17-2012, 04:55 PM   #1039
ER70S-2
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,453

SUZUKI DR650SE INFORMATION INDEX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threewheelbonnie View Post
"BTW, I don't do style. It's a dirt bike, not some girlie dress-up thing." -
ER70S-2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 08:30 PM   #1040
ezo
Ezo

Oddometer: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by YetiGS View Post
I did hear this one the very first day I rode from my dad who was once a CHP motor officer:

There are old riders and bold riders. There are no old bold riders.

A lot of kids around here need to know that.
Excellent!!
ezo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 05:49 AM   #1041
LuciferMutt
Rides slow bike slow

Oddometer: 11,031
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAKEZ View Post
. Not a place for sniveling little bitches.

No, that's down in Jo Momma

Badasses might screw with another badass. Nobody screws with a nut job. -- Plaka
LuciferMutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 11:31 AM   #1042
Barry
Just Beastly

Oddometer: 7,144
Quote:
Originally Posted by slide View Post
+100

The only thing dirt riding can surely teach an adult newbie is how to work a wheelchair.
That is an idiotic statement. Noobs fare far better off-road than in traffic with cars, buses, an trucks. If you are scared to ride dirt, don't.

Barry

Do not do business with Myrtle West Cycle... Not a reputable vendor by a long shot.
Barry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 12:20 PM   #1043
slide
A nation in despair

Oddometer: 21,123
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barry View Post
That is an idiotic statement. Noobs fare far better off-road than in traffic with cars, buses, an trucks. If you are scared to ride dirt, don't.

Barry
Yours is a moronic and destructive statement.

Motto of dirt riding:

If you ain't falling, you ain't learning.

It's one thing for a kid who is 12 to learn on dirt (good). It's another for an adult (bad).

BTW, the adult already knows the way of buses, etc. Nobody comes to riding as a 40 year old (frex) who doesn't already drive a cage.

Dirt == crippled adults.
Old 08-19-2012, 12:57 PM   #1044
FishTaco
urban misfit

Oddometer: 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barry View Post

Barry
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Well put, Barry. Do you suppose there is any chance this bozo will finally back off and STFU?
FishTaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 03:56 PM   #1045
LittleRedToyota
Yinzer

Oddometer: 2,232
all my 40+ dirt riding buddies (including some who started after 40) and me must actually be in comas in the ICU at the local hospital. i guess i'm just dreaming all of this...

noobs of all ages: just plain do not listen to slide. he has some axe to grind or just doesn't know WTF he is talking about. riding in dirt does not mean you will get hurt. you probably will drop your bike from time to time. you'll probably be going about 2mph when you do. you won't likely get hurt.

you can ride dirt trying to emulate james stewart, and then you probably will crash hard. or you can ride within your abilities, and then you probably won't crash hard. what you will do is have a blast and greatly improve your riding skills...in ways that are directly applicable to the street if that matters to you.
LittleRedToyota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 05:37 AM   #1046
LuciferMutt
Rides slow bike slow

Oddometer: 11,031
One point he does have that is valid: old bodies don't crash as well.

If you are going to ride dirt, you are more than likely going to crash more often than you would on the street.

Ergo, if you are going to ride dirt and you are getting up there in age, don't ride like a crazy asshole if you don't like hospitals.

Badasses might screw with another badass. Nobody screws with a nut job. -- Plaka
LuciferMutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 05:53 AM   #1047
RevBill
Irreverent Reverend

Oddometer: 2,110
Y'all need to start your own "experienced" dickerin' thread and get off the Noobs thread ..

.. unless ya'll are teachin' the new riders about bitchin' and opinions and callin' each other names .. yer doin' real good with that ..
RevBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 05:53 AM   #1048
Gundy
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 873
After the state safety course I took, I would say I've learned more useful riding skills offroad than I would have merely riding around on the street within the confines of the law. Reflexes and reaction time for somewhat tricky traffic maneuvers were all made better by just a few weekends of offroad. Last fall on a Monday after a two day dual sport, I was able to avoid getting t-boned on my way home from work using reflexes I otherwise would not have had. It's all about honing that reaction time, which swerving around rocks, roots, ruts, and stumps definitely does. Worth paying in advance with a few bruises in my book. Just make sure you wear all the protective stuff and you ought to be ok at cautious noob speeds.

'12 Tenere, '04 Tiger, '09 WRR, '06 DRZ, '06 TW, '01 250 EXC, '09 KLR
Gundy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 04:14 AM   #1049
swann
Just practicing...

Oddometer: 273
Quote:
Originally Posted by RevBill View Post
Y'all need to start your own "experienced" dickerin' thread and get off the Noobs thread ..

.. unless ya'll are teachin' the new riders about bitchin' and opinions and callin' each other names .. yer doin' real good with that ..
Lol!

Believe you can and you're halfway there. ~ Theodore Roosevelt
swann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 05:40 PM   #1050
Hawk62cj5
2 Cheap 4 a KLR

Oddometer: 584
Well since no one had advice for gravel wash boards I went out and tried them on the back after it rained all day sunday .

Advice from a noob to a noob , Rain soaked dirt/gravel road with washboards in the turns suck in the dark , Im guess in the light too
Hawk62cj5 is offline   Reply With Quote